|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
2. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
4. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
5. Why does Mr. Townsend turn down Catherine's suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
4. Why is Catherine happy?
5. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
6. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
7. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
8. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
9. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
10. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Dr. Sloper's marriage with Catherine Harrington to Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)