|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
2. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
3. What does Catherine request?
4. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
5. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
2. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
4. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
5. What does Catherine claim?
6. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
7. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
10. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Catherine's decision not to tell her father she will not marry Mr. Townsend after his death and how this ultimately affects Catherine.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)