|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
2. Where is Mr Townsend in Chapter 34?
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
4. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
5. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
2. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
3. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
5. Why is Townsend angry?
6. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
7. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
8. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
9. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
10. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Henry James develops the conflict and plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)