|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine refuse to do?
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
3. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
4. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
5. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
3. Why is Catherine happy?
4. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
5. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
6. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
7. What does Catherine claim?
8. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
9. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character and discuss how their character grows from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)