|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
2. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine must happen before he will return?
3. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
4. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
5. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
2. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
3. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
4. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
5. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
6. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
7. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
8. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
9. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
10. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact that Dr. Sloper's words and actions have on his relationship with Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)