|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
2. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
3. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
4. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
5. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
3. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
4. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
5. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
6. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
7. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
8. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
9. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
10. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)