|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
3. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
4. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
5. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
3. Why is Catherine happy?
4. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
5. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
6. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
7. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
8. Why is Townsend angry?
9. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
10. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Dr. Sloper's marriage with Catherine Harrington to Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)