|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing?
3. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
4. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
5. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
2. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
4. What does Catherine claim?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
6. Why is Catherine happy?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
8. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
9. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
10. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)