|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine disappointed about?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
3. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
4. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
5. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
2. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
3. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
4. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
5. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
6. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
7. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
8. What does Catherine claim?
9. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character and discuss how their character grows from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)