|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
3. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
4. What does Catherine tell her father?
5. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
2. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
3. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
4. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
5. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
6. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
7. Why is Townsend angry?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
9. Why is Catherine happy?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Dr. Sloper's marriage with Catherine Harrington to Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)