|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
2. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
3. What does Catherine refuse to do?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
5. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
2. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
4. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
5. What does Catherine claim?
6. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
7. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
8. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
9. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
10. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Catherine's decision not to tell her father she will not marry Mr. Townsend after his death and how this ultimately affects Catherine.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)