|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
2. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
3. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
4. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine must happen before he will return?
5. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
2. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
3. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
5. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
6. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
7. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
8. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
9. Why is Catherine happy?
10. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Dr. Sloper's marriage with Catherine Harrington to Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)