|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine think of her actions?
2. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
3. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
4. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
5. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
2. Why is Townsend angry?
3. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
4. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
5. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
6. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
7. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
8. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
9. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
10. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character and discuss how their character grows from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)