|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is always supporting Dr. Sloper?
2. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
3. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
4. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
5. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
2. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
4. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
5. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
6. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
7. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
10. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)