|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
2. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
3. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
5. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
2. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
3. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
4. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
5. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
6. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
7. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
8. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
9. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Catherine's decision not to tell her father she will not marry Mr. Townsend after his death and how this ultimately affects Catherine.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)