|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
3. What does Mrs Penniman suggest Mr Townsend do?
4. What does Catherine request?
5. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
2. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
4. What does Catherine claim?
5. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
6. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
7. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
8. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
9. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
10. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)