|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
2. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
3. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
4. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
5. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
2. What does Catherine claim?
3. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
4. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
5. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
6. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
7. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
8. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
9. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)