|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
2. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
3. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
4. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
5. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
3. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
4. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
6. What does Catherine claim?
7. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
8. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
9. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
10. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of an inheritance based on customs in early America.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)