|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
2. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
3. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
4. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
5. What relationship Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
2. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
3. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
5. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
6. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
8. Why is Catherine happy?
9. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
10. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)