|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Mr. Townsend have?
2. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
3. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
4. For what does Mr. Townsend not provide?
5. What does Dr. Sloper assure Mrs Montgomery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
3. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
4. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
5. Who lives across town?
6. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
7. What does Catherine insist upon?
8. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
9. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
10. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character and discuss how their character grows from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)