|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Dr. Sloper's younger sister marry?
2. Who does Dr. Sloper find in the room with the person with whom he wants to talk ?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Mr Townsend about?
4. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
3. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
4. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
5. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
6. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
8. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
9. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
10. Who has returned to New York and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)