|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine agree to do?
2. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
4. To whom is Catherine close?
5. What does Catherine accept in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
2. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
3. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
5. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
6. What does Dr. Sloper insist about Townsend?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
8. What does Catherine claim?
9. Who has returned to New York and why?
10. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact that Dr. Sloper's words and actions have on his relationship with Catherine.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)