|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper decide he needs to do?
2. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
3. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets do in response to his visit?
4. Of what does Mr. Townsend say he took charge?
5. Who does Mr. Townsend come to meet in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
2. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
5. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
6. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
7. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
8. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
9. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
10. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)