|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask Mr Townsend about?
2. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
3. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper's younger sister live?
5. Of what does Mr. Townsend say he took charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
2. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
3. What does Dr. Sloper insist about Townsend?
4. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
5. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
6. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
7. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
8. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
9. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)