|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets do in response to his visit?
2. With whom does Dr Sloper want to talk?
3. What does Mr. Townsend say he does not want to do any longer?
4. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
5. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
2. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
3. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
4. Who lives across town?
5. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
6. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
9. What does Catherine insist upon?
10. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)