|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend teach to his sister's children?
2. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
3. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine after talking to her father?
4. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
5. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
2. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
3. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
4. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
5. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
6. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
7. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
8. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
9. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character and discuss how their character grows from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)