|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
2. From what city has Mr. Townsend been away?
3. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
4. How does Catherine feel when close to Mr. Townsend?
5. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
2. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
4. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
5. Who lives across town?
6. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
7. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
8. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
9. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)