|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Mr. Townsend not provide?
2. Who is Marian marrying?
3. What does Dr. Sloper pledge to Mrs. Montgomery?
4. How does Mrs Montgomery describe her brother?
5. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
2. Who lives across town?
3. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
4. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
5. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
6. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
7. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
8. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
9. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
10. Who has returned to New York and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)