|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
2. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
3. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
4. Where does Catherine meet her first beau?
5. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
3. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
5. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
6. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
7. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
8. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
9. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
10. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)