|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
2. What does Dr Sloper request in Chapter 13?
3. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
5. Who does Dr. Sloper visit in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
2. Who lives across town?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
6. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Mr. Townsend's care for his sister's children?
7. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
8. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
9. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
10. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss James' use of a narrator in the novel and analyze how it benefits or detracts from the story line of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Henry James develops the conflict and plot of the novel.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)