|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
2. What does Catherine agree to do?
3. How much of an income does Miss Catherine Harrington have when she marries Dr. Sloper?
4. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
5. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
2. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
3. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
4. Who has returned to New York and why?
5. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
6. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
8. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
9. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
10. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)