|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Dr. Sloper and Catherine make their regular visit according to Chapter 9?
2. What does Catherine insist on knowing?
3. What does Mr. Townsend teach to his sister's children?
4. What does Mrs Penniman encourage Catherine to do?
5. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing to impress the person he is meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
5. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
6. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
7. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
8. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
9. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
10. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Catherine's decision not to tell her father she will not marry Mr. Townsend after his death and how this ultimately affects Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)