|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to forgo?
2. What is suggested to Dr. Sloper?
3. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
4. What does Catherine insist on knowing?
5. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
2. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
3. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
5. Who has returned to New York and why?
6. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
7. Why is Catherine happy?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
10. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mrs. Montgomery with Mr. Townsend, examining their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)