|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
2. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
3. With whom does Mr. Townsend talk while visiting Catherine?
4. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
5. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
2. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
3. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
5. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
6. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
7. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
9. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
10. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mrs. Montgomery with Mr. Townsend, examining their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact that Dr. Sloper's words and actions have on his relationship with Catherine.
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)