|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Catherine speak to her father in Chapter 11?
2. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
3. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
4. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
5. From what city has Mr. Townsend been away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper insist about Townsend?
2. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
3. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
5. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
6. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
7. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
9. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)