|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
2. Where does Dr. Sloper's younger sister live?
3. Who does Dr. Sloper tease in Chapter 6?
4. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
5. What does Catherine want to do on behalf of Mr. Townsend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
2. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
3. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
4. Who has returned to New York and why?
5. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
6. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
7. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
8. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
9. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
10. What does Catherine insist upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)