|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
2. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
3. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
4. How does Dr. Sloper offend the person in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mr. Townsend teach to his sister's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
2. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
3. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
4. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
5. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
6. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
7. What does Catherine insist upon?
8. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
10. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Catherine has changed (in both positive and negative ways) as a result of the conflict between her and other characters.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)