|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
2. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
3. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
5. Where does Dr. Sloper's younger sister live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
2. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
3. What does Catherine insist upon?
4. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Mr. Townsend's care for his sister's children?
5. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
6. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
7. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
9. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
10. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mrs. Montgomery with Mr. Townsend, examining their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Henry James develops the conflict and plot of the novel.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)