|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Townsend looking for work?
2. When does Dr. Sloper's son die?
3. What does Dr Sloper request in Chapter 13?
4. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine?
5. How much of an income does Miss Catherine Harrington have when she marries Dr. Sloper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
2. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
6. Why is Townsend angry?
7. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
8. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
9. What does Catherine insist upon?
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motives of different characters in the novel and why some people's motives might be considered questionable.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mrs. Penniman becomes involved in Catherine's life and the impact that she has, whether positive or negative on Catherine's relationship with Mr. Townsend.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Catherine's character and determine whether or not she is disillusioned and idyllic.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)