|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend say he does not want to do any longer?
2. Of what does Dr Sloper's sister take control?
3. Where does Catherine meet her first beau?
4. With whom does Mr. Townsend correspond regularly?
5. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
2. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
3. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
4. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
5. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
6. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
8. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
9. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Catherine's decision not to tell her father she will not marry Mr. Townsend after his death and how this ultimately affects Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Henry James develops the conflict and plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact that Dr. Sloper's words and actions have on his relationship with Catherine.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)