|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dr. Sloper talk in Chapter 8?
2. How is Catherine towards others?
3. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
4. Who is Marian marrying?
5. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
2. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
3. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
4. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
5. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
6. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
7. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
8. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
9. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
10. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how pride plays a part in the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of filial duty in the 1800's as presented by Henry James in Washington Square.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)