|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dr. Sloper talk in Chapter 8?
2. What is suggested to Dr. Sloper?
3. What does Catherine hope to accomplish?
4. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
5. With whom does Dr Sloper want to talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
2. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
3. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
4. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
5. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
6. What does Catherine insist upon?
7. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Mr. Townsend's care for his sister's children?
8. Who has returned to New York and why?
9. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
10. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and discuss their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of betrayal and discuss how characters betray and are betrayed by others in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)