|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine insist on knowing?
2. Of what does Mr. Townsend say he took charge?
3. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
4. Who does Dr. Sloper find in the room with the person with whom he wants to talk ?
5. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
2. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
3. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
5. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
6. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
7. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
8. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
9. Who has returned to New York and why?
10. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how being a romantic, as Mrs. Penniman is, can cause hardship in relationships and in providing advice on relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and discuss their role in creating conflict in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)