|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine feel when close to Mr. Townsend?
2. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
3. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
4. Of what does Dr Sloper's sister take control?
5. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
3. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
4. What conversation does Dr. Sloper have with Mr. Townsend in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
6. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
7. Why is Townsend angry?
8. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
9. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
10. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of an inheritance based on customs in early America.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry James focus on social conventions and beliefs as presented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the significance of Henry James' choice of setting in Washington Square.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)