|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is always supporting Dr. Sloper?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(c) Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
2. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not marry.
(b) That she will not give money away.
(c) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(d) That she will not contest the will.
3. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) He will not pay for her.
(b) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
(c) He will marry another.
(d) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
4. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
(a) The next evening.
(b) That night.
(c) That afternoon.
(d) The following morning.
5. Who continues to hear from Mr. Townsend?
(a) Dr. Sloper
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) His Cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
2. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
4. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
5. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
2. Why is Townsend angry?
3. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
4. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
5. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
6. Why is Catherine happy?
7. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
8. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
9. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)