|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) He will not pay for her.
(b) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
(c) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
(d) He will marry another.
2. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
(a) Pave the way for a new job.
(b) Pave the way for a breakup.
(c) Pave the way to elope.
(d) Pave the way for them to move.
3. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
4. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Dr. Sloper.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
(a) That he believes Catherine is not in love.
(b) That he believes Catherine will continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) That he believes Catherine is in on a conspiracy against him.
(d) That he believes Catherine will change her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
2. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
3. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
4. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
5. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
2. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
3. What does Catherine claim?
4. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
6. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
7. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
8. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
9. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
10. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)