|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To meet with Catherine.
(b) To have a family intervention.
(c) To ask to meet him.
(d) To ask that he elope.
2. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In the Alps.
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
(a) That he will disown her.
(b) That he is angry at her.
(c) That he won't give in.
(d) That he wants her out.
4. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(b) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
(c) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(d) To apologize to Catherine.
5. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(b) That she will not marry.
(c) That she will not contest the will.
(d) That she will not give money away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
2. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
3. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
4. What is Catherine doing while being pushed out of the study?
5. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
2. Why is Townsend angry?
3. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
6. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
7. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
8. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
9. Why is Catherine happy?
10. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)