|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
(a) Mr. Tomson.
(c) Mr. Creddy.
(d) Mr. Anderson.
2. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(b) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(c) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
(d) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
3. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(b) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(c) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(d) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
4. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She skips the meeting through the back door.
(b) She sends him on his way quickly.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She talks to him while making a decision.
5. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
(a) Store owner.
(c) Stock broker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
2. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
3. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
5. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
3. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
4. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
5. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
6. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
7. Why is Townsend angry?
8. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
9. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
10. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)