|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
(a) That he wants her out.
(b) That he will disown her.
(c) That he won't give in.
(d) That he is angry at her.
2. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
(a) Not to talk to her.
(b) Not to talk about Mr. Townsend.
(c) Not to leave the house.
(d) Not to write letters to Mr. Townsend.
3. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
(a) That she knew everything but said nothing.
(b) That she took a lucky guess.
(c) That she knew nothing.
(d) Innocence in it all.
4. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
(a) Proposing a secret meeting.
(b) Proposing to marry before the trip.
(c) Proposing to elope.
(d) Proposing that Mr. Townsend follow Catherine.
5. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father will never give in.
(b) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(c) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
(d) Catherine's father hates both of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
2. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
4. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
5. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
2. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
4. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
5. What does Mr. Townsend suggest he doesn't want in Chapter 20?
6. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman feel about Catherine?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
10. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)