|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(c) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
2. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To meet with Catherine.
(b) To ask to meet him.
(c) To ask that he elope.
(d) To have a family intervention.
3. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) She is not being honest enough.
(c) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(d) She is being too easy on her father.
4. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
(a) That he believes Catherine is not in love.
(b) That he believes Catherine will continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) That he believes Catherine will change her mind.
(d) That he believes Catherine is in on a conspiracy against him.
5. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
(a) She doesn't want to follow her father's rules anymore.
(b) She wants to to live with Mr. Townsend out of wedlock.
(c) She can't stand Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) She doesn't want to live with Mrs. Penniman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
2. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
4. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
5. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Catherine happy?
2. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
3. Why is Townsend angry?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
5. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
6. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
7. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. What does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper in Chapter 30?
10. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)