|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To apologize to Catherine.
(b) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(c) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
2. What does Catherine request?
(a) To stay behind until they can meet.
(b) To follow him.
(c) To go with him.
(d) To go before him.
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(b) If she has set a wedding date.
(c) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
(d) If she still wants to elope.
4. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She obliges.
(c) She questions him.
(d) She ignores him.
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
(a) That he believes Catherine is in on a conspiracy against him.
(b) That he believes Catherine is not in love.
(c) That he believes Catherine will change her mind.
(d) That he believes Catherine will continue to see Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
2. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
3. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
4. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
5. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
2. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
3. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
4. Why is Catherine happy?
5. Why is Townsend angry?
6. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
7. Why do Mr. Townsend and Catherine argue in Chapter 29?
8. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
9. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
10. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)