|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
(a) She wants to to live with Mr. Townsend out of wedlock.
(b) She doesn't want to live with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) She can't stand Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) She doesn't want to follow her father's rules anymore.
2. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(d) Angry and jealous.
3. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To have a family intervention.
(b) To ask that he elope.
(c) To meet with Catherine.
(d) To ask to meet him.
4. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
(a) A wedding date.
(b) A date for their first telegram.
(c) A date for their elopement.
(d) A date for their meeting in Europe.
5. Who continues to hear from Mr. Townsend?
(a) His Cousin.
(b) Dr. Sloper
(d) Mrs. Penniman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
2. Catherine begs out of what?
3. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
4. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
5. What does Catherine think of her actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
2. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
3. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
4. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
5. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
6. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
7. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
8. What does Mrs. Almond suggest to Dr. Sloper according to Chapter 27?
9. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
10. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)