|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(b) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
(c) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
(d) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
2. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
3. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(b) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(c) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(d) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
4. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
(a) Charities and painting.
(b) Charities and embroidery.
(c) Charities and caring for orphans.
(d) Charities and horsebackriding.
5. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
(a) Mrs. Penniman says it's good for her.
(b) Dr. Sloper says it's important for her.
(c) Mr. Townsend tells her how important it is for her.
(d) Dr. Sloper says that she must to gain his consent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend turn down Catherine's suggestion?
2. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
3. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
4. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
5. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
2. Why is Catherine happy?
3. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
4. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
5. What does Catherine learn of Townsend in Chapter 34?
6. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
7. What does Catherine tell her father in Chapter 18?
8. Why is Townsend angry?
9. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
10. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)