|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) The truth being revealed.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
2. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
3. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father hates both of them.
(b) Catherine's father will never give in.
(c) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(d) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
4. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
(b) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(c) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
(d) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
5. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
(b) A visit to the park.
(c) Sunday's service.
(d) A visit to her cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
2. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
3. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
4. Where was Mr. Townsend married according to Mrs Penniman?
5. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
2. What does Catherine receive over the next several years in Chapter 32?
3. Why is Catherine happy?
4. What does Dr. Sloper announce after six months abroad according to Chapter 24?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond in Chapter 21?
6. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
7. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
8. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
9. Why is Townsend angry?
10. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)