|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(b) Her father's refusal.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) The truth being revealed.
2. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
(a) That he may never prove his worth.
(b) That he lost his true love.
(c) That he needs to wait.
(d) That he might have played his card.
3. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father hates both of them.
(b) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
(c) Catherine's father will never give in.
(d) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
4. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(b) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(c) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(d) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
5. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not marry.
(b) That she will not give money away.
(c) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(d) That she will not contest the will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
2. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
3. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
4. What does Catherine think of her actions?
5. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
2. What does Catherine refuse in Chapter 35?
3. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
5. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
6. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
7. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
8. What does Catherine announce to her father in Chapter 22?
9. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
10. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)