|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs Penniman suggest Mr Townsend do?
(a) Wait to marry Catherine.
(b) Get a job while they are gone.
(c) Follow Catherine.
(d) Change Dr. Sloper's mind before they leave.
2. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(b) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
(c) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
3. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
(b) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
(c) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
(d) The fight between Catherine and her father.
4. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She talks to him while making a decision.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She skips the meeting through the back door.
(d) She sends him on his way quickly.
5. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(b) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
(c) Because Catherine will never relent.
(d) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
2. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
3. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
4. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
5. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the night before they return to New York?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman urge Catherine to do?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask of Catherine?
4. Why is Catherine happy?
5. What does Dr. Sloper say to offend Catherine?
6. Why is Townsend angry?
7. What disappointment does Catherine suffer in regards to Mr. Townsend?
8. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
9. Why is Mrs. Penniman disappointed in Chapter 23?
10. What news does Mrs. Penniman give unceremoniously?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)