|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
2. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
(a) To Washington Square.
(b) To Boston Circle.
(c) To Washington Circle.
(d) To Boston Square.
3. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
(b) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
(c) Accept that he has been a jerk.
(d) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
4. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
(a) That he is worthy of Catherine.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is not interested in Catherine.
(c) That he is insistent on marrying despite Dr. Sloper's words.
(d) That Mr. Townsend is not after Catherine's money.
5. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
(a) She is frustrated.
(b) She is annoyed.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mr. Townsend correspond regularly?
2. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
3. Who does Mr. Townsend bring to meet Catherine?
4. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
5. Why does Dr. Sloper want to set up the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
2. Who comes to visit Catherine and her aunt in Chapter 5?
3. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
4. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
5. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
6. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
7. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
8. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
9. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
10. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)