|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
(a) Talk to Catherine's father.
(b) Propose to Catherine.
(c) Visit Catherine under her supervision.
(d) Elope with Catherine.
2. What does Dr. Sloper ask Mr Townsend about?
(a) How he lost his fortune.
(b) His job prospects.
(c) His childhood.
(d) His ex wife.
3. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
(a) She is depressed.
(b) She is frustrated.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is annoyed.
4. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
5. What is suggested to Dr. Sloper?
(a) That he talk to Townsend's cousin.
(b) That he not try to go against his daughter's choice.
(c) That he look at an old newpaper about the Townsend family.
(d) That he meet with Mr. Townsend's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
2. What does Catherine agree to do?
3. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
4. Where does Catherine meet Mr. Townsend?
5. With whom does Mr. Townsend correspond regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
2. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Catherine in Chapter 8?
3. What does Dr. Sloper pledge?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister in Chapter 13?
5. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
6. Who lives across town?
7. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
8. Where is Dr. Sloper invited in Chapter 14?
9. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
10. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)