|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dr. Sloper's younger sister live?
(a) Two towns over.
(b) Across town.
(c) On the same street.
(d) In Boston.
2. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
(a) Move to Europe with Catherine.
(b) Marry Catherine, but refuse to have children.
(c) Leave Catherine for a younger woman.
(d) Spend all of Catherine's money and force her to live in poverty.
3. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
(a) See Mr. Townsend.
(b) See the judge.
(c) See Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) See Mrs. Almond.
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
(a) That she raise Catherine to be clever.
(b) That she raise Catherine to be beautiful.
(c) That she raise Catherine to be prissy.
(d) That she raise Catherine to be a good wife.
5. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
(a) That Dr. Sloper would cut Catherine off completely.
(b) That Dr. Sloper would call the police.
(c) That Catherine would not have her mother's money.
(d) That Catherine would not have a place to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
2. What does Dr. Sloper accuse Mr Townsend of doing?
3. Where does Catherine meet Mr. Townsend?
4. How does Dr. Sloper offend the person in Chapter 9?
5. Who does Dr. Sloper find in the room with the person with whom he wants to talk ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
2. What does Dr. Sloper insist in Chapter 11?
3. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
4. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to do in Chapter 17?
6. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
7. Why is Catherine afraid in Chapter 10?
8. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
9. What does Dr. Sloper remark about Catherine?
10. What does Mr. Townsend claim in Chapter 12?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)