|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what city has Mr. Townsend been away?
(b) New York.
2. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
(a) It has become surrounded with annoying neighbors.
(b) It has become surrounded with new rich.
(c) It has become surrounded with factories.
(d) It has become surrounded with businesses.
3. What does Mr. Townsend say he does not want to do any longer?
(a) Go to Washington Square.
(b) Talk to Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Talk to her.
(d) Cross paths with her father.
4. What does Catherine learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is not really interested in her.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is married.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is interested in her friend Caroline.
(d) That Mr. Townsend wishes to court her.
5. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
(a) Elope with Catherine.
(b) Propose to Catherine.
(c) Talk to Catherine's father.
(d) Visit Catherine under her supervision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine accept in Chapter 15?
2. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
3. Where does Catherine meet Mr. Townsend?
4. How does Dr. Sloper hurt his daughter's feelings?
5. To whom is Catherine close?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage according to Chapter 6?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman suggest and how does Mr. Townsend feel about it in Chapter 16?
3. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine about her father?
4. What does Mr. Townsend do after he stops going to Washington Square?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell Mrs. Almond?
6. What causes Mrs. Penniman distress?
7. What does Dr. Sloper question Mr. Townsend about in Chapter 7?
8. What does Dr. Sloper learn about Mr. Townsend's care for his sister's children?
9. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
10. Who lives across town?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)