|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Townsend?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her best friend, Caroline.
2. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
(a) Because of a religious obligation.
(b) For love.
(c) Because of a family obligation.
(d) For money.
3. What does Dr. Sloper refuse to do?
(a) Give Mr. Townsend a loan.
(b) Allow Catherine to move out of the house.
(c) Give Mr.Townsend a horse.
(d) Give his consent.
4. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
(a) It has become surrounded with factories.
(b) It has become surrounded with annoying neighbors.
(c) It has become surrounded with businesses.
(d) It has become surrounded with new rich.
5. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
(a) Talking to Mr. Townsend.
(b) Sitting and listening.
(c) Looking out the window.
(d) Entertaining her cousin's fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend stop doing?
2. Who did Dr. Sloper's younger sister marry?
3. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask Mr Townsend about?
5. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Penniman told by Dr. Sloper in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Dr. Sloper become annoyed with Catherine in Chapter 15?
3. What does Dr. Sloper do in Chapter 33?
4. What does Catherine's father tease her about?
5. What does Catherine receive in Chapter 31?
6. What will Dr. Sloper not bend on?
7. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
8. Why does Catherine become jealous in Chapter 25?
9. Who has returned to New York and why?
10. Why is Mr. Townsend reluctant to elope in Chapter 26?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)