|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(c) Angry and jealous.
2. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
3. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
(a) Moving in together.
(c) Changing the wedding date.
(d) Marrying locally.
4. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) The truth being revealed.
(b) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) Her father's death.
5. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(b) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(c) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(d) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
6. What is Mrs. Penniman disappointed about in Chapter 23?
(a) That she is being kicked out of the house.
(b) That she is invited to Europe.
(c) That she will be alone for the first time.
(d) That she is not invited to Europe.
7. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
8. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
(a) That he hates her.
(b) That he will never surrender.
(c) That he hates Mr. Townsend.
(d) That he wants money for himself.
9. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing?
(a) Quitting his job.
(c) Ending his relationship with Catherine.
10. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
11. What does Catherine request?
(a) To follow him.
(b) To stay behind until they can meet.
(c) To go with him.
(d) To go before him.
12. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
(c) Stock broker.
(d) Store owner.
13. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
(a) That she knew nothing.
(b) That she took a lucky guess.
(c) That she knew everything but said nothing.
(d) Innocence in it all.
14. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
(b) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(c) Catherine's father will never give in.
(d) Catherine's father hates both of them.
15. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 12 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
2. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
3. What does Catherine refuse to do?
4. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)