|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
(b) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(c) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
(d) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
2. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(b) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
(c) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
(d) Because Catherine will never relent.
3. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
(b) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(c) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(d) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
4. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In Rome.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In the Alps.
5. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
(a) Mr. Creddy.
(b) Mr. Tomson.
(c) Mr. Anderson.
6. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
7. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
(a) Not to talk to her.
(b) Not to leave the house.
(c) Not to write letters to Mr. Townsend.
(d) Not to talk about Mr. Townsend.
8. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
(b) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
(c) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
(d) The fight between Catherine and her father.
9. Who is always supporting Dr. Sloper?
(a) Mrs. Montgomery.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(c) Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mrs. Penniman.
10. Where was Mr. Townsend married according to Mrs Penniman?
(d) The West Coast.
11. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
(b) New Orleans.
12. Who continues to hear from Mr. Townsend?
(a) His Cousin.
(c) Dr. Sloper
(d) Mrs. Penniman.
13. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not marry.
(b) That she will not contest the will.
(c) That she will not give money away.
(d) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
14. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She questions him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She obliges.
15. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
(c) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
2. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
3. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
4. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
5. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)