|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(c) She is being too easy on her father.
(d) She is not being honest enough.
2. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 15 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 10 months.
(d) 9 months.
3. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
4. What does Catherine tell her father?
(a) That Mr. Townsend will marry her in Europe.
(b) That she will marry Mr. Townsend at some point.
(c) That she will marry Mr. Townsend soon.
(d) That they will settle the date by letter.
5. What is Catherine doing while being pushed out of the study?
6. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
(b) He will not pay for her.
(c) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
(d) He will marry another.
7. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To have a family intervention.
(b) To ask that he elope.
(c) To ask to meet him.
(d) To meet with Catherine.
8. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Montgomery.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
9. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(b) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
(d) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
10. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
(a) That he wants her out.
(b) That he won't give in.
(c) That he will disown her.
(d) That he is angry at her.
11. What does Mrs Penniman suggest Mr Townsend do?
(a) Get a job while they are gone.
(b) Follow Catherine.
(c) Wait to marry Catherine.
(d) Change Dr. Sloper's mind before they leave.
12. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
(a) To Mrs. Almond.
(b) To Mrs. Penniman.
(c) To hospitals and asylums.
(d) To Catherine.
13. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she has set a wedding date.
(b) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
(c) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(d) If she still wants to elope.
14. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
(b) Get married in secret, but live separately.
(c) Wait for her father.
15. Where is Mr Townsend in Chapter 34?
(a) At Marian's house.
(b) At Washington Square.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) At Mrs. Penniman's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
3. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
4. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
5. What relationship Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend have?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)