|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
(b) Her aunt's money.
(c) Her mother's money.
(d) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
2. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Dr. Sloper.
3. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(b) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
(c) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
4. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) That father is always right.
(b) Social skills.
(d) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
5. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is being too easy on her father.
(b) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(c) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(d) She is not being honest enough.
6. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
(a) Innocence in it all.
(b) That she knew everything but said nothing.
(c) That she knew nothing.
(d) That she took a lucky guess.
7. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
(a) Go talk to her cousin.
(b) Go talk to her father.
(c) Go talk to her aunt.
(d) Go talk to Mr. Townsend.
8. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(b) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(c) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(d) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
9. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
(a) Try to change her father's mind.
(b) Try to talk with Mrs. Montgomery.
(c) Try to change Mr. Townsend's mind.
(d) Try to marry locally.
10. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
(a) 12 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 6 months.
11. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(b) Wait for her father.
(c) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
(d) Get married in secret, but live separately.
12. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
(a) Mr. Tomson.
(b) Mr. Creddy.
(c) Mr. Anderson.
13. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
14. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
(d) New Orleans.
15. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Montgomery.
(c) Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
2. What does Catherine refuse to do?
3. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
4. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
5. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)