|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(b) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(c) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(d) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
2. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
(b) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
(c) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(d) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
3. How many letters from Mr. Townsend does Catherine have?
4. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
(a) Dr. Sloper says that she must to gain his consent.
(b) Mr. Townsend tells her how important it is for her.
(c) Mrs. Penniman says it's good for her.
(d) Dr. Sloper says it's important for her.
5. Where was Mr. Townsend married according to Mrs Penniman?
(a) The West Coast.
6. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
(b) He will marry another.
(c) He will not pay for her.
(d) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
7. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because Catherine will never relent.
(b) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(c) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
(d) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
8. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
(a) To Mrs. Penniman.
(b) To hospitals and asylums.
(c) To Mrs. Almond.
(d) To Catherine.
9. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(b) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
(c) To apologize to Catherine.
(d) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
10. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
(a) Pave the way for them to move.
(b) Pave the way to elope.
(c) Pave the way for a new job.
(d) Pave the way for a breakup.
11. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(b) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Dr. Sloper.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
12. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
(b) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
(c) The fight between Catherine and her father.
(d) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
13. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she still wants to marry him.
(b) That she wants to run away.
(c) That she wants him to get a job.
(d) That she wants to wait.
14. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(b) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(c) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
(d) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
15. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She skips the meeting through the back door.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She sends him on his way quickly.
(d) She talks to him while making a decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
3. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
4. What does the person with whom Mrs Penniman is talking continually argue in Chapter 27?
5. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)