|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 12 months.
2. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
(c) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(d) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
3. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Get married in secret, but live separately.
(c) Wait for her father.
(d) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
4. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
(a) Try to change Mr. Townsend's mind.
(b) Try to talk with Mrs. Montgomery.
(c) Try to change her father's mind.
(d) Try to marry locally.
5. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
(a) That he hates Mr. Townsend.
(b) That he wants money for himself.
(c) That he will never surrender.
(d) That he hates her.
6. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Greece.
(b) In Rome.
(c) In Madrid.
(d) In the Alps.
7. Where is Mr Townsend in Chapter 34?
(a) At Washington Square.
(b) At Marian's house.
(c) At Mrs. Penniman's house.
(d) In a hotel.
8. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
(a) That he believes Catherine is not in love.
(b) That he believes Catherine will continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) That he believes Catherine will change her mind.
(d) That he believes Catherine is in on a conspiracy against him.
9. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She skips the meeting through the back door.
(b) She talks to him while making a decision.
(c) She sends him on his way quickly.
(d) She hugs him.
10. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to her cousin.
(b) Sunday's service.
(c) A visit to the park.
(d) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
11. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) The truth being revealed.
12. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
(a) Mrs. Penniman says it's good for her.
(b) Mr. Townsend tells her how important it is for her.
(c) Dr. Sloper says that she must to gain his consent.
(d) Dr. Sloper says it's important for her.
13. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(c) She is being too easy on her father.
(d) She is not being honest enough.
14. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Montgomery.
15. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
(a) Proposing that Mr. Townsend follow Catherine.
(b) Proposing to marry before the trip.
(c) Proposing to elope.
(d) Proposing a secret meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
2. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
3. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
4. What is Catherine doing while being pushed out of the study?
5. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)