|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) Sunday's service.
(b) A visit to her cousin.
(c) A visit to the park.
(d) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
2. Where is Mr Townsend in Chapter 34?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) At Mrs. Penniman's house.
(c) At Washington Square.
(d) At Marian's house.
3. What is Mrs. Penniman disappointed about in Chapter 23?
(a) That she is not invited to Europe.
(b) That she is being kicked out of the house.
(c) That she is invited to Europe.
(d) That she will be alone for the first time.
4. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
(a) Go to Europe.
(b) Protest the will.
(c) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go to his funeral.
5. What does Dr. Sloper tell Catherine after 6 months?
(a) That he is angry at her.
(b) That he wants her out.
(c) That he won't give in.
(d) That he will disown her.
6. What does Catherine refuse to do in Chapter 30?
(a) Share her misery with her best friend.
(b) Share her misery with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Share her misery with her cousin.
(d) Share her misery with her father.
7. What does Catherine request?
(a) To go with him.
(b) To go before him.
(c) To follow him.
(d) To stay behind until they can meet.
8. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
(a) That he will never surrender.
(b) That he wants money for himself.
(c) That he hates her.
(d) That he hates Mr. Townsend.
9. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(b) That father is always right.
(c) Social skills.
(d) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
10. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to run away.
(b) That she wants to wait.
(c) That she wants him to get a job.
(d) That she still wants to marry him.
11. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(b) The truth being revealed.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) Her father's death.
12. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Dr. Sloper.
13. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
(c) Wait for her father.
(d) Get married in secret, but live separately.
14. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine must happen before he will return?
(a) She must stop insisting they elope.
(b) She must stop trying to change their wedding date.
(c) She must stop insisting she follow him.
(d) She must stop being argumentative with him.
15. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
(b) Her mother's money.
(c) Her aunt's money.
(d) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
2. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
3. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
4. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
5. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)