|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
(b) If she has set a wedding date.
(c) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(d) If she still wants to elope.
2. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(b) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(c) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(d) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
3. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
(a) Not to leave the house.
(b) Not to talk to her.
(c) Not to talk about Mr. Townsend.
(d) Not to write letters to Mr. Townsend.
4. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to her cousin.
(b) A visit to the park.
(c) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
(d) Sunday's service.
5. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(b) Her father's refusal.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) The truth being revealed.
6. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants him to get a job.
(b) That she wants to wait.
(c) That she wants to run away.
(d) That she still wants to marry him.
7. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
8. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In the Alps.
9. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
10. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
11. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
(b) Marrying locally.
(c) Changing the wedding date.
(d) Moving in together.
12. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
(a) Try to change her father's mind.
(b) Try to change Mr. Townsend's mind.
(c) Try to marry locally.
(d) Try to talk with Mrs. Montgomery.
13. What does Catherine refuse to do in Chapter 30?
(a) Share her misery with her father.
(b) Share her misery with her best friend.
(c) Share her misery with Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Share her misery with her cousin.
14. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
(a) Charities and painting.
(b) Charities and embroidery.
(c) Charities and horsebackriding.
(d) Charities and caring for orphans.
15. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(a) Move out.
(b) Give up her inheritance.
(d) Move the wedding date up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
2. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
3. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
4. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
5. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)