|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to run away.
(b) That she wants to wait.
(c) That she still wants to marry him.
(d) That she wants him to get a job.
2. From whom does Catherine accept a proposal?
(a) Mr. Tomson.
(c) Mr. Creddy.
(d) Mr. Anderson.
3. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
(a) That afternoon.
(b) The following morning.
(c) That night.
(d) The next evening.
4. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 weeks.
5. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
6. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
(a) Charities and embroidery.
(b) Charities and horsebackriding.
(c) Charities and painting.
(d) Charities and caring for orphans.
7. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
(a) That he may never prove his worth.
(b) That he lost his true love.
(c) That he needs to wait.
(d) That he might have played his card.
8. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
(b) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
(d) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
9. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
(a) A wedding date.
(b) A date for their meeting in Europe.
(c) A date for their first telegram.
(d) A date for their elopement.
10. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to her cousin.
(b) A visit to the park.
(c) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
(d) Sunday's service.
11. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
12. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
(b) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(c) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
13. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
(a) That her father wants her to wait another six months.
(b) That her father did not change his mind.
(c) That her father has found another suitor for her.
(d) That her father is wavering in his decision.
14. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(b) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(c) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(d) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
15. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(c) Angry and jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
2. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
3. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
4. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
5. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)