|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She questions him.
(b) She obliges.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She ignores him.
2. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Dr. Sloper.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
(b) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(c) If she has set a wedding date.
(d) If she still wants to elope.
4. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
5. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(b) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(c) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(d) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
6. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
(b) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(c) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(d) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
7. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(b) To apologize to Catherine.
(c) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
8. What does Catherine request?
(a) To go with him.
(b) To go before him.
(c) To stay behind until they can meet.
(d) To follow him.
9. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing?
(c) Quitting his job.
(d) Ending his relationship with Catherine.
10. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
(a) That she ended the engagement herself.
(b) That Mr. Townsend was dead.
(c) That they ended the engagement together.
(d) That Mr. Townsend ended the engagment.
11. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) She is not being honest enough.
(c) She is being too easy on her father.
(d) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
12. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
(a) To postpone her meeting with Mr. Townsend in Europe.
(b) To postpone her wedding for 6 months.
(c) To postpone leaving the house.
(d) To not get too upset with Mrs. Penniman.
13. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she still wants to marry him.
(b) That she wants him to get a job.
(c) That she wants to wait.
(d) That she wants to run away.
14. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
(b) Wait for her father.
(d) Get married in secret, but live separately.
15. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) Social skills.
(c) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
(d) That father is always right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
2. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
3. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
4. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
5. What is Catherine disappointed about?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)