|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
(b) The fight between Catherine and her father.
(c) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
2. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
(a) Marrying locally.
(b) Moving in together.
(d) Changing the wedding date.
3. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 10 months.
(d) 15 months.
4. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
(a) She doesn't want to follow her father's rules anymore.
(b) She can't stand Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(c) She wants to to live with Mr. Townsend out of wedlock.
(d) She doesn't want to live with Mrs. Penniman.
5. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not give money away.
(b) That she will not contest the will.
(c) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(d) That she will not marry.
6. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(b) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(c) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
7. What relationship Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend have?
(a) Grandmother and grandson.
(c) Like a mother and son.
(d) Aunt and nephew.
8. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She questions him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She obliges.
9. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
(a) To postpone her meeting with Mr. Townsend in Europe.
(b) To postpone leaving the house.
(c) To not get too upset with Mrs. Penniman.
(d) To postpone her wedding for 6 months.
10. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
(a) The following morning.
(b) That afternoon.
(c) That night.
(d) The next evening.
11. What does Catherine request?
(a) To follow him.
(b) To stay behind until they can meet.
(c) To go with him.
(d) To go before him.
12. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money.
(b) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
(c) Her aunt's money.
(d) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
13. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
14. What is Mrs. Penniman disappointed about in Chapter 23?
(a) That she will be alone for the first time.
(b) That she is being kicked out of the house.
(c) That she is not invited to Europe.
(d) That she is invited to Europe.
15. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
(a) Not to talk about Mr. Townsend.
(b) Not to talk to her.
(c) Not to leave the house.
(d) Not to write letters to Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
2. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
3. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
4. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
5. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)