|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
(a) Letting Mr. Townsend end the engagement.
(b) Let Dr. Sloper ruin the engagement.
(c) Letting Catherine end the engagement.
(d) Breaking the news unceremoniously.
2. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Greece.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) In Madrid.
(d) In Rome.
3. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
(a) Being tracked down for an unlawful marriage.
(b) Being the laughing stock of the family.
(c) Being left out of her father's will.
(d) Being a social outcast.
4. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
(b) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(c) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(d) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
5. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(b) Move out.
(c) Move the wedding date up.
(d) Give up her inheritance.
6. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(c) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
7. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) The truth being revealed.
(b) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) Her father's death.
8. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
(b) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
(c) Because Catherine will never relent.
(d) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
9. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not being honest enough.
(b) She is being too easy on her father.
(c) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(d) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
10. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
11. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Take a trip through America.
(b) Take a trip to Europe.
(c) Take a trip to Africa.
(d) Take a trip to Western Europe.
12. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
(b) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
(c) The fight between Catherine and her father.
(d) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
13. What does the person with whom Mrs Penniman is talking continually argue in Chapter 27?
(a) That Catherine is being hurt in all of this.
(b) That it is better for her not to be involved.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is only interested in Catherine's money.
(d) That Dr. Sloper is correct in his assumption.
14. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
(a) To postpone her wedding for 6 months.
(b) To not get too upset with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) To postpone leaving the house.
(d) To postpone her meeting with Mr. Townsend in Europe.
15. What does Catherine tell her father?
(a) That Mr. Townsend will marry her in Europe.
(b) That she will marry Mr. Townsend soon.
(c) That she will marry Mr. Townsend at some point.
(d) That they will settle the date by letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman claim at dinner in Chapter 31?
3. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
4. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
5. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)