|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
2. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(a) Dr. Sloper.
(b) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
3. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
(a) That Mr. Townsend was dead.
(b) That Mr. Townsend ended the engagment.
(c) That she ended the engagement herself.
(d) That they ended the engagement together.
4. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To apologize to Catherine.
(b) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(c) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(d) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
5. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
(a) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(b) Go to his funeral.
(c) Go to Europe.
(d) Protest the will.
6. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
(b) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
(d) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
7. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
(a) She wants to to live with Mr. Townsend out of wedlock.
(b) She doesn't want to live with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) She can't stand Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) She doesn't want to follow her father's rules anymore.
8. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to run away.
(b) That she still wants to marry him.
(c) That she wants to wait.
(d) That she wants him to get a job.
9. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
10. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(b) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(c) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
11. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(b) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
(c) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(d) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
12. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 12 months.
13. What does Catherine request?
(a) To follow him.
(b) To go before him.
(c) To stay behind until they can meet.
(d) To go with him.
14. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To ask that he elope.
(b) To ask to meet him.
(c) To have a family intervention.
(d) To meet with Catherine.
15. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
(a) Being tracked down for an unlawful marriage.
(b) Being a social outcast.
(c) Being left out of her father's will.
(d) Being the laughing stock of the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
2. How many letters from Mr. Townsend does Catherine have?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
4. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
5. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)