|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine request?
(a) To stay behind until they can meet.
(b) To go before him.
(c) To go with him.
(d) To follow him.
2. How is Catherine convinced to change her mind?
(a) Dr. Sloper says that she must to gain his consent.
(b) Mrs. Penniman says it's good for her.
(c) Dr. Sloper says it's important for her.
(d) Mr. Townsend tells her how important it is for her.
3. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
(a) Mr. Townsend's doubting of the engagement.
(b) Dr. Sloper's tracking of Mr. Towsend's expenses.
(c) The fight between Catherine and her father.
(d) The fight between Catherine and Mr. Townsend.
4. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
(a) Store owner.
(b) Stock broker.
5. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
(a) Moving in together.
(b) Changing the wedding date.
(c) Marrying locally.
6. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
7. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
8. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 15 months.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 10 months.
9. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father hates both of them.
(b) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
(c) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(d) Catherine's father will never give in.
10. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Take a trip to Europe.
(b) Take a trip to Western Europe.
(c) Take a trip to Africa.
(d) Take a trip through America.
11. Why does Mr. Townsend turn down Catherine's suggestion?
(a) He does not want to disgrace her family.
(b) He does not want to anger her father.
(c) He does not want to move in without a wedding.
(d) He does not want to marry her.
12. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to run away.
(b) That she still wants to marry him.
(c) That she wants him to get a job.
(d) That she wants to wait.
13. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(b) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
(c) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
(d) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
14. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(b) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
(c) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
15. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Wait for her father.
(c) Get married in secret, but live separately.
(d) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
2. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
3. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
4. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
5. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)