|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
(b) Social skills.
(c) That father is always right.
2. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
(a) Pave the way for a new job.
(b) Pave the way for a breakup.
(c) Pave the way for them to move.
(d) Pave the way to elope.
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine?
(a) To postpone her wedding for 6 months.
(b) To not get too upset with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) To postpone her meeting with Mr. Townsend in Europe.
(d) To postpone leaving the house.
4. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Her aunt's.
(c) Her cousin's.
(d) Her friend's.
5. Mr. Townsend does not want Catherine to suffer the indignity of what?
(a) Being the laughing stock of the family.
(b) Being left out of her father's will.
(c) Being a social outcast.
(d) Being tracked down for an unlawful marriage.
6. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She talks to him while making a decision.
(c) She skips the meeting through the back door.
(d) She sends him on his way quickly.
7. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Dr. Sloper.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
8. What does Catherine tell her father?
(a) That Mr. Townsend will marry her in Europe.
(b) That she will marry Mr. Townsend soon.
(c) That they will settle the date by letter.
(d) That she will marry Mr. Townsend at some point.
9. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
10. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) He will not pay for her.
(b) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
(c) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
(d) He will marry another.
11. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Montgomery.
(b) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
12. What does Catherine learn from Mrs Penniman upon her return in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mr. Townsend wants to end the engagement.
(b) That Mr. Townsend does not speak of her much.
(c) That Mr. Townsend visited often.
(d) That Mr. Townsend never visits.
13. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing?
(a) Quitting his job.
(c) Ending his relationship with Catherine.
14. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
(b) Because Catherine will never relent.
(c) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(d) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
15. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
(a) The next evening.
(b) That night.
(c) The following morning.
(d) That afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
2. Who continues to hear from Mr. Townsend?
3. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
4. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
5. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)