|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine tell her father?
(a) That she will marry Mr. Townsend at some point.
(b) That she will marry Mr. Townsend soon.
(c) That Mr. Townsend will marry her in Europe.
(d) That they will settle the date by letter.
2. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 3 years.
3. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not being honest enough.
(b) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(c) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(d) She is being too easy on her father.
4. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
(a) Charities and embroidery.
(b) Charities and horsebackriding.
(c) Charities and caring for orphans.
(d) Charities and painting.
5. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(a) Dr. Sloper.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(c) Mrs. Almond.
6. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
(a) That her father did not change his mind.
(b) That her father has found another suitor for her.
(c) That her father is wavering in his decision.
(d) That her father wants her to wait another six months.
7. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father hates both of them.
(b) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(c) Catherine's father will never give in.
(d) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
8. What is Mrs. Penniman disappointed about in Chapter 23?
(a) That she will be alone for the first time.
(b) That she is invited to Europe.
(c) That she is not invited to Europe.
(d) That she is being kicked out of the house.
9. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(b) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
(c) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
(d) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
10. What month does Mrs. Penniman mention Mr Townsend?
11. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine must happen before he will return?
(a) She must stop trying to change their wedding date.
(b) She must stop insisting they elope.
(c) She must stop being argumentative with him.
(d) She must stop insisting she follow him.
12. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 6 months.
13. What does Catherine refuse to do in Chapter 30?
(a) Share her misery with her best friend.
(b) Share her misery with her father.
(c) Share her misery with Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Share her misery with her cousin.
14. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
(a) Mr. Townsend.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
15. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not marry.
(b) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(c) That she will not contest the will.
(d) That she will not give money away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forbids Mrs Penniman to interfere?
2. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
4. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
5. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)