|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
(b) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
(d) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
2. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 12 months.
3. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
(a) Stock broker.
(d) Store owner.
4. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
5. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Take a trip to Europe.
(b) Take a trip through America.
(c) Take a trip to Western Europe.
(d) Take a trip to Africa.
6. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
7. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
(a) Catherine's father will never give in.
(b) Catherine's father hates Mr. Townsend's family.
(c) Catherine's father will never allow them to marry.
(d) Catherine's father hates both of them.
8. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
(c) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
(d) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
9. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
10. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In Greece.
11. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
12. How long do Catherine and her father end up spending in Europe?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 15 months.
13. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(b) Because Catherine will never relent.
(c) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
(d) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
14. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
(a) Go talk to her father.
(b) Go talk to her aunt.
(c) Go talk to Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go talk to her cousin.
15. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
2. Whose advice does Catherine follow at the start of Chapter 18?
3. To whom did Dr. Sloper bequest his money?
4. What does Catherine ask Mrs. Penniman in Chapter 34?
5. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)