|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to wait.
(b) That she wants to run away.
(c) That she wants him to get a job.
(d) That she still wants to marry him.
2. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) That father is always right.
(b) Social skills.
(d) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
3. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
4. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
(c) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
(d) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
5. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
(a) She doesn't want to live with Mrs. Penniman.
(b) She wants to to live with Mr. Townsend out of wedlock.
(c) She can't stand Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) She doesn't want to follow her father's rules anymore.
6. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(d) Angry and jealous.
7. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(b) If she has set a wedding date.
(c) If she still wants to elope.
(d) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
8. Who is Mrs Penniman defending?
(a) Mr. Townsend.
(c) Dr. Sloper.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
9. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
10. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
(a) Go talk to her cousin.
(b) Go talk to Mr. Townsend.
(c) Go talk to her aunt.
(d) Go talk to her father.
11. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
(b) Her aunt's money.
(c) Her mother's money.
(d) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
12. Where does Mr Townsend tell Catherine he is going in Chapter 29?
(d) New Orleans.
13. Who forbids Mrs Penniman to interfere?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Dr. Sloper.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
14. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In the Alps.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In Rome.
15. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
(a) Proposing a secret meeting.
(b) Proposing to elope.
(c) Proposing that Mr. Townsend follow Catherine.
(d) Proposing to marry before the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is always supporting Dr. Sloper?
2. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
3. Who continues to hear from Mr. Townsend?
4. What does Catherine request?
5. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)