|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(c) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
2. What does Catherine refuse to do in Chapter 30?
(a) Share her misery with her best friend.
(b) Share her misery with Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Share her misery with her cousin.
(d) Share her misery with her father.
3. When does Mrs. Penniman tell Dr. Sloper about her assumption?
(a) That night.
(b) The following morning.
(c) That afternoon.
(d) The next evening.
4. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
(a) 12 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 9 months.
5. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
6. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she has set a wedding date.
(b) If she still wants to elope.
(c) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
(d) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
7. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
(b) Wait for her father.
(c) Get married with Mrs. Penniman as a witness.
(d) Get married in secret, but live separately.
8. How many proposals does Catherine receive in the years after her break up with Mr. Townsend according to Chapter 32?
9. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
(a) That he might have played his card.
(b) That he may never prove his worth.
(c) That he needs to wait.
(d) That he lost his true love.
10. Where is Mr Townsend in Chapter 34?
(a) At Washington Square.
(b) At Marian's house.
(c) At Mrs. Penniman's house.
(d) In a hotel.
11. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine must happen before he will return?
(a) She must stop trying to change their wedding date.
(b) She must stop insisting they elope.
(c) She must stop being argumentative with him.
(d) She must stop insisting she follow him.
12. How much time passes between Chapter 34 and 35?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 weeks.
13. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
(a) Pave the way for them to move.
(b) Pave the way for a breakup.
(c) Pave the way for a new job.
(d) Pave the way to elope.
14. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To apologize to Catherine.
(b) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(c) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(d) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
15. What date does Mr. Townsend refuse to set in Chapter 21?
(a) A wedding date.
(b) A date for their meeting in Europe.
(c) A date for their elopement.
(d) A date for their first telegram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
2. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
3. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
4. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
5. What does Catherine think of her actions?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)