|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(b) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(c) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
(d) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 26?
(a) That her father did not change his mind.
(b) That her father is wavering in his decision.
(c) That her father wants her to wait another six months.
(d) That her father has found another suitor for her.
3. What does Catherine dedicate herself to doing for the next 17 years?
(a) Charities and painting.
(b) Charities and embroidery.
(c) Charities and horsebackriding.
(d) Charities and caring for orphans.
4. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
5. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(a) Angry and jealous.
6. What does Mrs Penniman suggest Mr Townsend do?
(a) Get a job while they are gone.
(b) Follow Catherine.
(c) Change Dr. Sloper's mind before they leave.
(d) Wait to marry Catherine.
7. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
(b) Her aunt's money.
(c) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
(d) Her mother's money.
8. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(b) Give up her inheritance.
(c) Move out.
(d) Move the wedding date up.
9. What promise does Catherine refuse to make to her father?
(a) That she will not give money away.
(b) That she will not marry Mr. Townsend upon his death.
(c) That she will not contest the will.
(d) That she will not marry.
10. What does Catherine say to her father after receiving Mr. Townsend's note?
(a) That they ended the engagement together.
(b) That she ended the engagement herself.
(c) That Mr. Townsend ended the engagment.
(d) That Mr. Townsend was dead.
11. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(b) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
(c) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
(d) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
12. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
(b) Social skills.
(c) That father is always right.
13. Who is Mrs. Penniman forbid to see in Chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Montgomery.
14. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To have a family intervention.
(b) To ask that he elope.
(c) To ask to meet him.
(d) To meet with Catherine.
15. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
(a) Try to marry locally.
(b) Try to change Mr. Townsend's mind.
(c) Try to talk with Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) Try to change her father's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Townsend make that request to Mrs. Penniman?
2. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
3. Why does Catherine want to leave the house?
4. How long are Catherine and her father supposed to spend in Europe?
5. What is Mrs. Penniman disappointed about in Chapter 23?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)