|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person with whom Mrs Penniman is talking continually argue in Chapter 27?
(a) That Catherine is being hurt in all of this.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is only interested in Catherine's money.
(c) That it is better for her not to be involved.
(d) That Dr. Sloper is correct in his assumption.
2. What does Catherine tell her father?
(a) That they will settle the date by letter.
(b) That Mr. Townsend will marry her in Europe.
(c) That she will marry Mr. Townsend at some point.
(d) That she will marry Mr. Townsend soon.
3. How many letters from Mr. Townsend does Catherine have?
4. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
5. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) Her father's refusal.
(c) The truth being revealed.
(d) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
6. What does Catherine do at the start of Chapter 18?
(a) Go talk to her aunt.
(b) Go talk to her cousin.
(c) Go talk to her father.
(d) Go talk to Mr. Townsend.
7. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(a) Move the wedding date up.
(c) Give up her inheritance.
(d) Move out.
8. What suggestion from Catherine does Mr. Townsend turn down?
(a) Marrying locally.
(b) Moving in together.
(d) Changing the wedding date.
9. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
(a) To meet with Catherine.
(b) To ask to meet him.
(c) To ask that he elope.
(d) To have a family intervention.
10. What does Dr. Sloper ask Catherine about before heading back to the U.S.?
(a) If she has set a wedding date.
(b) If she still wants to elope.
(c) If she still dislikes Mrs. Penniman for interfering.
(d) If she still feels the same about Mr. Townsend.
11. What is Mr. Townsend angry about at the end of Chapter 35?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine had a child named Morris.
(b) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was still beautiful.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine wanted to marry him.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman made him believe Catherine was married.
12. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to the park.
(b) A visit to her cousin.
(c) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
(d) Sunday's service.
13. What does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend in Chapter 18?
(a) That she wants to run away.
(b) That she still wants to marry him.
(c) That she wants to wait.
(d) That she wants him to get a job.
14. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She obliges.
(c) She questions him.
(d) She ignores him.
15. Why does Mr. Townsend reject Catherine's request?
(a) He will marry another.
(b) Mrs. Penniman has not approved.
(c) He will not pay for her.
(d) She will be exposed to yellow fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
2. With whom does Mrs. Penniman argue in Chapter 27?
3. What is Catherine doing while being pushed out of the study?
4. What does Catherine refuse to do after the death of her father?
5. Of what is Mrs Penniman aware?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)