|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the young man who proposes to Catherine?
(a) Stock broker.
(b) Store owner.
2. What does Catherine refuse to do?
(a) Go to Europe without marrying Mr. Townsend first.
(b) Go to Europe without a wedding date.
(c) Go to Europe without Mr. Townsend.
(d) Go to Europe without choosing a wedding dress..
3. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(a) Move the wedding date up.
(c) Give up her inheritance.
(d) Move out.
4. On what does Catherine tell Mr. Townsend they can survive?
(a) Her mother's money.
(b) Her aunt's money.
(c) Her mother's money and her aunt's money.
(d) Her mother's money and Mr. Townsend's money.
5. What does Mrs. Penniman think of Catherine?
(a) She is not following through on her commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) She is not being honest enough.
(c) She is being too easy on Mr. Townsend.
(d) She is being too easy on her father.
6. Why does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him that advice?
(a) Because Catherine does not deserve such treatment.
(b) Because Mrs. Penniman means well.
(c) Because Catherine will never relent.
(d) Because he misread Mr. Townsend.
7. What does Mrs. Penniman assume considering Catherine's behavior?
(a) That Mr. Townsend has been courting multiple women.
(b) That Mr. Townsend has left without warning.
(c) That Mr. Townsend ended their engagement.
(d) That Mr. Townsend is marrying another.
8. How does Catherine react when speaking to Mrs Penniman upon her return?
(c) Angry and jealous.
9. Against whom does Dr. Sloper have a strong opinion?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
10. Why does Mr. Townsend turn down Catherine's suggestion?
(a) He does not want to disgrace her family.
(b) He does not want to anger her father.
(c) He does not want to move in without a wedding.
(d) He does not want to marry her.
11. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) That father is always right.
(b) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
(c) Social skills.
12. Who forbids Mrs Penniman to interfere?
(a) Mr. Townsend.
(b) Dr. Sloper.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
13. About what does Mrs. Penniman tell Catherine when she returns?
(a) Mr. Townsend's plan to formally ask her hand of her father.
(b) Mr. Townsend's plan to go to Europe.
(c) Mr. Townsend's plan to end their engagement.
(d) Mr. Townsend's plan to elope with her friend Caroline.
14. How much time passes between Chapter 33 and 34?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. What is Catherine pleased to learn from Mrs. Penniman?
(a) That Mr. Townsend chose a wedding date.
(b) That Mr. Townsend entered into a business partnership with another man.
(c) That Mr. Townsend chose a church for their wedding.
(d) That Mr. Townsend has secured a new residence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
2. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
3. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine to do?
4. What does Mrs. Penniman feel some regret about?
5. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)