|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper tell his sister?
(a) That he believes Catherine will change her mind.
(b) That he believes Catherine will continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) That he believes Catherine is in on a conspiracy against him.
(d) That he believes Catherine is not in love.
2. What is Catherine disappointed about?
(a) Mr. Townsend is not coming to Europe.
(b) Mr. Townsend will not wait for her much longer.
(c) Mr. Townsend will not meet her in Europe.
(d) Mr. Townsend has to get a job.
3. What does Dr. Sloper suggest Catherine and him do?
(a) Take a trip through America.
(b) Take a trip to Africa.
(c) Take a trip to Western Europe.
(d) Take a trip to Europe.
4. How old is Dr. Sloper in Chapter 33?
5. What would Dr. Sloper rather have his daughter believe than seeing her in an unhappy marriage?
(a) That he will never surrender.
(b) That he hates her.
(c) That he wants money for himself.
(d) That he hates Mr. Townsend.
6. What advice does the one who always supports Dr. Sloper give him?
(a) To apologize to Catherine.
(b) To relent in his opposition to Mrs. Penniman's interference.
(c) To apologize to Mr. Townsend.
(d) To relent in his opposition to Catherine's marriage.
7. What does Dr. Sloper hope his daughter will learn during their trip?
(a) Of Mr. Townsend's indiscretion.
(c) Social skills.
(d) That father is always right.
8. What does Mrs Penniman advise Catherine not to do?
(a) Give up her inheritance.
(b) Move the wedding date up.
(c) Move out.
9. Catherine begs out of what?
(a) A visit to Mr. Townsend.
(b) A visit to her cousin.
(c) Sunday's service.
(d) A visit to the park.
10. How does Mrs. Penniman react to Mr. Townsend request?
(a) She obliges.
(b) She questions him.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She ignores him.
11. To what should Catherine look forward according to the conversation she is having?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) Mr. Townsend's refusal.
(c) Her father's refusal.
(d) The truth being revealed.
12. What does Mr. Townsend ask Mr Penniman to do for him?
(a) Pave the way for a breakup.
(b) Pave the way for a new job.
(c) Pave the way for them to move.
(d) Pave the way to elope.
13. What does Mrs. Penniman say she might have been in haste to do?
(a) Proposing a secret meeting.
(b) Proposing to marry before the trip.
(c) Proposing to elope.
(d) Proposing that Mr. Townsend follow Catherine.
14. How does Catherine react to seeing Mr. Townsend?
(a) She talks to him while making a decision.
(b) She sends him on his way quickly.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She skips the meeting through the back door.
15. Where are Catherine and her father after 6 months in Europe?
(a) In Rome.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) In Madrid.
(d) In Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mr. Townsend married according to Mrs Penniman?
2. Why does Mrs. Penniman write to Mr. Townsend in Chapter 28?
3. What does Mr. Townsend suggest Catherine and him do?
4. What is Mr. Townsend concerned about?
5. What does the person with whom Mrs Penniman is talking continually argue in Chapter 27?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)