|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
(a) That Mr. Townsend might be married.
(b) That Catherine might elope.
(c) That Mrs. Penniman might have found her next husband.
(d) That Mr. Townsend might propose to Catherine.
2. When does Catherine speak to her father in Chapter 11?
(a) At tea time.
(b) During lunch.
(c) At breakfast.
(d) At night.
3. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
(a) That she raise Catherine to be clever.
(b) That she raise Catherine to be beautiful.
(c) That she raise Catherine to be a good wife.
(d) That she raise Catherine to be prissy.
4. Who is Marian marrying?
(a) A stock broker.
(b) A store owner.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
5. With whom does Dr. Sloper talk in Chapter 8?
(a) Mr. Townsend.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) His sister Mrs Almond.
6. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is going to get a job.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is having second thoughts.
(c) That Mr. Townsend still wants to marry her.
(d) That Mr. Townsend wants her money.
7. Who did Dr. Sloper's younger sister marry?
(a) Mr. Corn.
(b) Mr. Peanut.
(c) Mr. Almond.
(d) Mr. Seed.
8. What does Dr. Sloper accuse Mr Townsend of doing?
(a) Living off of his sister.
(b) Of living off his ex wife.
(c) Of being poor.
(d) Of wanting to marry someone other than his daughter.
9. Who does Dr. Sloper find in the room with the person with whom he wants to talk ?
(a) His nephew.
(b) Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
10. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets do in response to his visit?
(a) Remains alone all day.
(b) Sends Mrs Penniman to wait.
(c) Sneaks out of the house.
(d) Keeps Catherine in her room.
11. To whom is Catherine close?
(a) Her cousins.
(b) Her siblings.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her best friend Caroline.
12. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her friend. Caroline.
(d) Her cousin.
13. Why does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
(a) Because of a family obligation.
(b) For love.
(c) For money.
(d) Because of a religious obligation.
14. What does Catherine insist on knowing?
(a) What Mrs. Almond is planning.
(b) What Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend discussed.
(c) What Mrs. Penniman is planning.
(d) What Dr. Sloper is planning.
15. What does Dr. Sloper decide he needs to do?
(a) Learn about Mr. Townsend.
(b) Get his daughter married as soon as possible.
(c) Encourage the relationship between Mr. Townsend and his daughter.
(d) Teach his daughter a lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine want to do on behalf of Mr. Townsend?
2. How much of an income does Miss Catherine Harrington have when she marries Dr. Sloper?
3. How is Catherine towards others?
4. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
5. How does Mrs Montgomery describe her brother?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)