|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
2. What does Catherine fear in Chapter 10?
(a) Upsetting Mr. Townsend.
(b) Upsetting her father.
(c) Telling her father she married Mr. Townsend.
(d) Upsetting Mrs. Penniman.
3. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
(a) That Catherine would not have a place to live.
(b) That Dr. Sloper would call the police.
(c) That Dr. Sloper would cut Catherine off completely.
(d) That Catherine would not have her mother's money.
4. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
(a) See Mrs. Almond.
(b) See the judge.
(c) See Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) See Mr. Townsend.
5. What does Mr. Townsend say he does not want to do any longer?
(a) Go to Washington Square.
(b) Cross paths with her father.
(c) Talk to her.
(d) Talk to Mrs. Penniman.
6. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
(b) Accept that he has been a jerk.
(c) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
(d) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
7. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
(a) At her cousin's house.
(b) At a library.
(c) At her house.
(d) In a park.
8. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Catherine to forgo?
(a) Mr. Townsend's refusal to marry without her father's consent.
(b) Her father's advice.
(c) Her father's consent.
(d) Her father's will.
9. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
(a) Marry Catherine, but refuse to have children.
(b) Leave Catherine for a younger woman.
(c) Spend all of Catherine's money and force her to live in poverty.
(d) Move to Europe with Catherine.
10. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
11. What does Dr. Sloper assure Mrs Montgomery?
(a) That her house will be fixed.
(b) That he will not allow his daughter to marry Mr. Townsend.
(c) That her children will go to college.
(d) That her brother will not bother her again.
12. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets do in response to his visit?
(a) Keeps Catherine in her room.
(b) Sends Mrs Penniman to wait.
(c) Sneaks out of the house.
(d) Remains alone all day.
13. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
(a) A horse.
(b) To marry her for her money.
(c) A loan.
(d) Access to Dr. Sloper's rich patients.
14. What is Mrs. Montgomery hesitant to say anything about?
(a) How much of an income she has.
(b) How her husband died.
(c) Her brother. Mr Townsend.
(d) Her family history.
15. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the party does Mr Townsend go see Catherine?
2. From whom does Mr. Townsend receive sympathy?
3. Of what does Mr. Townsend say he took charge?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
5. What does Catherine want to do on behalf of Mr. Townsend?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)