|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr Sloper request in Chapter 13?
(a) To meet with Mrs. Montgomery.
(b) That Mrs. Almond prevent Mr. Townsend from staying at her house.
(c) That Mrs. Montgomery come to see him at his practice.
(d) To meet Mr. Townsend privately.
2. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
(a) A horse.
(b) To marry her for her money.
(c) A loan.
(d) Access to Dr. Sloper's rich patients.
3. Where does Catherine meet her first beau?
(a) A trip to the spa.
(b) In a park.
(c) A fitting at a dress store.
(d) A party.
4. What does Catherine agree to do?
(a) Move out of the house with Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(c) Talk to her father about her engagement.
(d) Move in with Mr. Townsend.
5. Where does Dr. Sloper's younger sister live?
(a) Across town.
(b) Two towns over.
(c) In Boston.
(d) On the same street.
6. What does Dr. Sloper accuse Mr Townsend of doing?
(a) Of wanting to marry someone other than his daughter.
(b) Of living off his ex wife.
(c) Living off of his sister.
(d) Of being poor.
7. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing to impress the person he is meeting?
(a) Become his apprentice.
(b) Go back to school.
(c) Work a lowly job.
(d) Return the horse Catherine gave him.
8. What does Mrs Penniman encourage Catherine to do?
(a) Continue to persuade her father.
(b) Continue to send love letters.
(c) Continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(d) Continue to send messages through Mrs. Penniman.
9. When does Catherine speak to her father in Chapter 11?
(a) During lunch.
(b) At tea time.
(c) At breakfast.
(d) At night.
10. Where does Catherine meet Mr. Townsend?
(a) In a park.
(b) In her house.
(c) In her garden.
(d) At the Almonds.
11. With what is Dr. Sloper annoyed in Chapter 15?
(a) Catherine's commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) Mrs. Penniman's involvement with Mr. Townsend.
(c) Catherine always talking about Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond's overbearing comments about Catherine.
12. How does Dr. Sloper hurt his daughter's feelings?
(a) By telling her about her physical shortcomings.
(b) By teasing her about her cousin marrying.
(c) By teasing her about Mr. Townsend's proposing to her.
(d) By telling her about her intelligence shortfall.
13. From what city has Mr. Townsend been away?
(a) New York.
14. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
(a) Move to Europe with Catherine.
(b) Marry Catherine, but refuse to have children.
(c) Spend all of Catherine's money and force her to live in poverty.
(d) Leave Catherine for a younger woman.
15. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is having second thoughts.
(b) That Mr. Townsend still wants to marry her.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is going to get a job.
(d) That Mr. Townsend wants her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Dr. Sloper want to set up the meeting?
3. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
4. How long after giving birth to her daughter does Sloper's wife die?
5. What does Dr. Sloper refuse to do?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)