|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
2. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
(a) That he is selfish.
(b) Not much.
(c) That he is a nice person.
(d) That he is rich.
3. When does Dr. Sloper's son die?
(a) At age 3.
(b) At age 6.
(c) At age 4.
(d) At age 5.
4. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Townsend?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her best friend, Caroline.
(d) Her cousin.
5. How does Catherine grow up to be in the eyes of her father?
(a) Plain and stout.
(b) Plain and beautiful.
(c) Interesting and stout.
(d) Clever and beautiful.
6. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept that he has been a jerk.
(b) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
(c) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
(d) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
7. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
8. What does Dr. Sloper accuse Mr Townsend of doing?
(a) Living off of his sister.
(b) Of wanting to marry someone other than his daughter.
(c) Of living off his ex wife.
(d) Of being poor.
9. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
(a) Washington Square.
(b) The St. Thomas Church.
(c) The Almond's house.
(d) Mrs. Montgomery's.
10. How many children does Mr. Townsend have?
11. How is Mrs. Montgomery's house according to Chapter 14?
(a) Small and modest.
(b) Large and well decorated.
(c) Large and decrepit.
(d) Small and cozy.
12. What is Mrs. Montgomery hesitant to say anything about?
(a) Her brother. Mr Townsend.
(b) How her husband died.
(c) Her family history.
(d) How much of an income she has.
13. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
(a) That Mr. Townsend might propose to Catherine.
(b) That Catherine might elope.
(c) That Mr. Townsend might be married.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman might have found her next husband.
14. How long after giving birth to her daughter does Sloper's wife die?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 weeks.
15. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing to impress the person he is meeting?
2. With whom does Dr Sloper want to talk?
3. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
4. What does Catherine learn from Mrs. Penniman?
5. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets do in response to his visit?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)