|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
(a) Talking to Mr. Townsend.
(b) Sitting and listening.
(c) Looking out the window.
(d) Entertaining her cousin's fiance.
2. Who did Dr. Sloper's younger sister marry?
(a) Mr. Corn.
(b) Mr. Seed.
(c) Mr. Peanut.
(d) Mr. Almond.
3. How is Mrs. Montgomery's house according to Chapter 14?
(a) Small and modest.
(b) Large and well decorated.
(c) Small and cozy.
(d) Large and decrepit.
4. For what does Mr. Townsend not provide?
(a) His sister.
(b) His ex wife.
(c) His children.
(d) His sister's children.
5. Who does Dr. Sloper visit in Chapter 6?
(a) His older sister.
(b) His younger sister.
(c) Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
6. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
(a) His sister.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His cousin.
7. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine?
(a) That her father likes him.
(b) That her father is out to get him.
(c) That her father wounded him.
(d) That her father wants her married.
8. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
(a) It has become surrounded with businesses.
(b) It has become surrounded with factories.
(c) It has become surrounded with new rich.
(d) It has become surrounded with annoying neighbors.
9. How does Catherine grow up to be in the eyes of her father?
(a) Plain and beautiful.
(b) Interesting and stout.
(c) Clever and beautiful.
(d) Plain and stout.
10. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
11. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
(b) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
(c) Accept that he has been a jerk.
(d) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
12. How much of an income does Miss Catherine Harrington have when she marries Dr. Sloper?
(a) 40,000 a year.
(b) 30,000 a year.
(c) 10,000 a year.
(d) 20,000 a year.
13. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
(a) In a park.
(b) At a library.
(c) At her house.
(d) At her cousin's house.
14. What is Mrs. Montgomery hesitant to say anything about?
(a) How much of an income she has.
(b) How her husband died.
(c) Her brother. Mr Townsend.
(d) Her family history.
15. With what is Dr. Sloper annoyed in Chapter 15?
(a) Catherine's commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(b) Catherine always talking about Mr. Townsend.
(c) Mrs. Almond's overbearing comments about Catherine.
(d) Mrs. Penniman's involvement with Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
2. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine after talking to her father?
3. Of what does Dr Sloper's sister take control?
4. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
5. Why is Mr. Townsend looking for work?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)