|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
(a) At a library.
(b) At her cousin's house.
(c) At her house.
(d) In a park.
2. Where does Catherine meet Mr. Townsend?
(a) In her garden.
(b) In a park.
(c) At the Almonds.
(d) In her house.
3. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
4. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
5. When does Dr. Sloper's son die?
(a) At age 6.
(b) At age 3.
(c) At age 4.
(d) At age 5.
6. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
(a) Talking to Mr. Townsend.
(b) Looking out the window.
(c) Entertaining her cousin's fiance.
(d) Sitting and listening.
7. How does Mrs Montgomery describe her brother?
(b) Hard working.
8. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
(b) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
(c) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
(d) Accept that he has been a jerk.
9. When do Dr. Sloper and Catherine make their regular visit according to Chapter 9?
(a) On Wednesdays.
(b) On Sundays.
(c) On Tuesdays.
(d) On Mondays.
10. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
11. How is Mrs. Montgomery's house according to Chapter 14?
(a) Large and well decorated.
(b) Large and decrepit.
(c) Small and modest.
(d) Small and cozy.
12. What does Mrs. Penniman say in the secret meeting in Chapter 16?
(a) That he should get a job to prove his worth.
(b) That he should marry Catherine in secret.
(c) That he should meet Dr. Sloper in private.
(d) That he should run away.
13. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is having second thoughts.
(b) That Mr. Townsend still wants to marry her.
(c) That Mr. Townsend wants her money.
(d) That Mr. Townsend is going to get a job.
14. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
(a) She is depressed.
(b) She is annoyed.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is frustrated.
15. What does Catherine agree to do?
(a) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(b) Talk to her father about her engagement.
(c) Move out of the house with Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Move in with Mr. Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
2. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
3. What does Dr Sloper request in Chapter 13?
4. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
5. Who is Marian marrying?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)