|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Townsend insist on doing elsewhere?
(a) Meeting with Catherine.
(c) Marrying Catherine.
(d) Meeting Catherine's father.
2. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
(a) See Mrs. Montgomery.
(b) See Mr. Townsend.
(c) See the judge.
(d) See Mrs. Almond.
3. What does Dr. Sloper assure Mrs Montgomery?
(a) That he will not allow his daughter to marry Mr. Townsend.
(b) That her children will go to college.
(c) That her house will be fixed.
(d) That her brother will not bother her again.
4. What does Mr. Townsend say he does not want to do any longer?
(a) Talk to her.
(b) Cross paths with her father.
(c) Talk to Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Go to Washington Square.
5. What does Mrs Penniman tell Catherine?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is going to get a job.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is having second thoughts.
(c) That Mr. Townsend wants her money.
(d) That Mr. Townsend still wants to marry her.
6. How much of an income does Miss Catherine Harrington have when she marries Dr. Sloper?
(a) 30,000 a year.
(b) 20,000 a year.
(c) 10,000 a year.
(d) 40,000 a year.
7. How is Mrs. Montgomery's house according to Chapter 14?
(a) Large and decrepit.
(b) Small and modest.
(c) Small and cozy.
(d) Large and well decorated.
8. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
(a) Sitting and listening.
(b) Entertaining her cousin's fiance.
(c) Looking out the window.
(d) Talking to Mr. Townsend.
9. What does Mrs. Penniman encourage Mr. Townsend to do?
(a) Visit Catherine under her supervision.
(b) Talk to Catherine's father.
(c) Elope with Catherine.
(d) Propose to Catherine.
10. What does Dr. Sloper pledge to Mrs. Montgomery?
(a) A horse.
(c) Work on her home.
(d) His support.
11. How old is Catherine when she meets her first beau?
12. To whom is Catherine close?
(a) Her siblings.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her cousins.
(d) Her best friend Caroline.
13. With what is Dr. Sloper annoyed in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Almond's overbearing comments about Catherine.
(b) Catherine's commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(c) Catherine always talking about Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Penniman's involvement with Mr. Townsend.
14. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His nephew.
15. When do Dr. Sloper and Catherine make their regular visit according to Chapter 9?
(a) On Sundays.
(b) On Tuesdays.
(c) On Wednesdays.
(d) On Mondays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
2. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
3. Where does Catherine meet her first beau?
4. How does Dr. Sloper hurt his daughter's feelings?
5. What does Catherine agree to do?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)