|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper assure Mrs Montgomery?
(a) That her house will be fixed.
(b) That her brother will not bother her again.
(c) That he will not allow his daughter to marry Mr. Townsend.
(d) That her children will go to college.
2. What does Dr. Sloper pledge to Mrs. Montgomery?
(a) Work on her home.
(b) A horse.
(c) His support.
3. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) Mrs. Almond.
4. What does the person Mr. Townsend meets insist he will do?
(a) Leave Catherine for a younger woman.
(b) Marry Catherine, but refuse to have children.
(c) Spend all of Catherine's money and force her to live in poverty.
(d) Move to Europe with Catherine.
5. From whom does Mr. Townsend receive sympathy?
(b) Dr. Sloper.
(c) His cousin.
(d) Mrs. Penniman.
6. What does Dr. Sloper ask Mr Townsend about?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His job prospects.
(c) His ex wife.
(d) How he lost his fortune.
7. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
(a) That Dr. Sloper would cut Catherine off completely.
(b) That Dr. Sloper would call the police.
(c) That Catherine would not have her mother's money.
(d) That Catherine would not have a place to live.
8. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
(a) That he is a nice person.
(b) Not much.
(c) That he is rich.
(d) That he is selfish.
9. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing to impress the person he is meeting?
(a) Work a lowly job.
(b) Return the horse Catherine gave him.
(c) Go back to school.
(d) Become his apprentice.
10. What does Catherine agree to do?
(a) Talk to her father about her engagement.
(b) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(c) Move in with Mr. Townsend.
(d) Move out of the house with Mrs. Penniman.
11. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
(a) In the 1830's.
(b) In the 1840's.
(c) In the 1810's.
(d) In the 1820's.
12. How many children does Mr. Townsend have?
13. Where does Catherine meet her first beau?
(a) A trip to the spa.
(b) A party.
(c) A fitting at a dress store.
(d) In a park.
14. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her friend. Caroline.
15. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine after talking to her father?
(a) That her father dislikes him.
(b) That her father is a great man.
(c) That her father likes him.
(d) That he wants to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Montgomery hesitant to say anything about?
2. How is Catherine towards others?
3. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
4. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
5. Who does Mr. Townsend bring to meet Catherine?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)