|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Townsend meet Catherine in Chapter 5?
(a) At her cousin's house.
(b) At a library.
(c) At her house.
(d) In a park.
2. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
(a) That Catherine would not have a place to live.
(b) That Dr. Sloper would cut Catherine off completely.
(c) That Dr. Sloper would call the police.
(d) That Catherine would not have her mother's money.
3. How is Catherine towards others?
4. How does Catherine grow up to be in the eyes of her father?
(a) Interesting and stout.
(b) Plain and stout.
(c) Plain and beautiful.
(d) Clever and beautiful.
5. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is not interested in Catherine.
(b) That Mr. Townsend is not after Catherine's money.
(c) That he is worthy of Catherine.
(d) That he is insistent on marrying despite Dr. Sloper's words.
6. When does Catherine speak to her father in Chapter 11?
(a) At breakfast.
(b) At night.
(c) At tea time.
(d) During lunch.
7. From whom does Mr. Townsend receive sympathy?
(a) Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Dr. Sloper.
(c) His cousin.
8. Who does Dr. Sloper visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Mrs. Montgomery.
(b) Mr. Townsend.
(c) His older sister.
(d) His younger sister.
9. What is Dr. Sloper told about Mr. Townsend?
(a) That he is a nice person.
(b) Not much.
(c) That he is selfish.
(d) That he is rich.
10. How long after giving birth to her daughter does Sloper's wife die?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
11. Who does Mr. Townsend bring to meet Catherine?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His son.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His sister.
12. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
(a) To Washington Circle.
(b) To Boston Square.
(c) To Washington Square.
(d) To Boston Circle.
13. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine after talking to her father?
(a) That her father likes him.
(b) That her father dislikes him.
(c) That her father is a great man.
(d) That he wants to marry her.
14. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(d) His nephew.
15. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
2. What does Catherine try to do, but fails?
3. What does Catherine learn from Mrs. Penniman?
4. To whom is Catherine close?
5. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)