|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mrs. Montgomery's house according to Chapter 14?
(a) Large and decrepit.
(b) Small and cozy.
(c) Small and modest.
(d) Large and well decorated.
2. What does Mr. Townsend tell Catherine?
(a) That her father wounded him.
(b) That her father is out to get him.
(c) That her father wants her married.
(d) That her father likes him.
3. With whom does Dr Sloper want to talk?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His nephew.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
(d) His sister.
4. How does Mrs Montgomery describe her brother?
(d) Hard working.
5. What does Mrs. Penniman think her advice would cause Dr. Sloper to do?
(a) Accept that a man does not need a job to marry.
(b) Accept that Mr. Townsend is worthy of his daughter.
(c) Accept that he has been a jerk.
(d) Accept Mr. Townsend and Catherine's union.
6. What does Mr. Townsend insist on doing elsewhere?
(b) Meeting with Catherine.
(c) Marrying Catherine.
(d) Meeting Catherine's father.
7. What does Mr. Townsend teach to his sister's children?
8. What does Dr. Sloper insist Mr Townsend wants?
(a) To marry her for her money.
(b) Access to Dr. Sloper's rich patients.
(c) A horse.
(d) A loan.
9. With what is Dr. Sloper annoyed in Chapter 15?
(a) Catherine always talking about Mr. Townsend.
(b) Catherine's commitment to Mr. Townsend.
(c) Mrs. Almond's overbearing comments about Catherine.
(d) Mrs. Penniman's involvement with Mr. Townsend.
10. What does Catherine accept in Chapter 15?
(a) That she will have to wait her father out.
(b) That she will need to find someone else.
(c) That she will need to elope.
(d) That she will never marry.
11. What does Catherine spend Mr. Townsend's visit doing?
(a) Entertaining her cousin's fiance.
(b) Talking to Mr. Townsend.
(c) Looking out the window.
(d) Sitting and listening.
12. Who is Marian marrying?
(a) A store owner.
(b) A stock broker.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
13. From whom does Mr. Townsend receive sympathy?
(a) Dr. Sloper.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) His cousin.
14. What does Mrs Penniman encourage Catherine to do?
(a) Continue to send messages through Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) Continue to send love letters.
(d) Continue to persuade her father.
15. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is not after Catherine's money.
(b) That he is worthy of Catherine.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is not interested in Catherine.
(d) That he is insistent on marrying despite Dr. Sloper's words.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
2. With whom does Mr. Townsend correspond regularly?
3. Why does Dr. Sloper want to set up the meeting?
4. What does Catherine want to do on behalf of Mr. Townsend?
5. Where is Mr. Townsend a guest in Chapter 7?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)