|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Marian marrying?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A store owner.
(c) A stock broker.
(d) A lawyer.
2. Who does Dr Sloper offend?
(a) Mrs. Almond.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mr. Townsend.
3. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is depressed.
(c) She is annoyed.
(d) She is frustrated.
4. What does Catherine try to do, but fails?
(a) Buy a horse.
(b) Rent an appartment.
(c) Make her father change his mind.
(d) Take a loan out.
5. Who does Mr. Townsend insist he does not live off?
(b) His nephew.
(c) His sister.
(d) His cousin.
6. What does Catherine fear in Chapter 10?
(a) Upsetting her father.
(b) Telling her father she married Mr. Townsend.
(c) Upsetting Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Upsetting Mr. Townsend.
7. Who does Dr. Sloper tease in Chapter 6?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister, Mrs. Penniman.
(c) His sister, Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mr. Townsend.
8. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
(a) See the judge.
(b) See Mr. Townsend.
(c) See Mrs. Montgomery.
(d) See Mrs. Almond.
9. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Townsend?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her best friend, Caroline.
10. How does Catherine grow up to be in the eyes of her father?
(a) Clever and beautiful.
(b) Plain and beautiful.
(c) Plain and stout.
(d) Interesting and stout.
11. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
(a) That Mrs. Penniman might have found her next husband.
(b) That Mr. Townsend might propose to Catherine.
(c) That Mr. Townsend might be married.
(d) That Catherine might elope.
12. What does Mrs. Penniman say in the secret meeting in Chapter 16?
(a) That he should get a job to prove his worth.
(b) That he should meet Dr. Sloper in private.
(c) That he should run away.
(d) That he should marry Catherine in secret.
13. What worries Mr. Townsend about Mrs Penniman's advice?
(a) That Catherine would not have her mother's money.
(b) That Dr. Sloper would call the police.
(c) That Dr. Sloper would cut Catherine off completely.
(d) That Catherine would not have a place to live.
14. How long after the party does Mr Townsend go see Catherine?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few days.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few months.
15. What is Mrs. Montgomery hesitant to say anything about?
(a) How much of an income she has.
(b) Her brother. Mr Townsend.
(c) How her husband died.
(d) Her family history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Sloper visit in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mr. Townsend stop doing?
3. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
4. With whom does Dr Sloper want to talk?
5. What does Catherine agree to do?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)