|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs Penniman think her advice would demonstrate to Dr. Sloper?
(a) That Mr. Townsend is not interested in Catherine.
(b) That he is insistent on marrying despite Dr. Sloper's words.
(c) That Mr. Townsend is not after Catherine's money.
(d) That he is worthy of Catherine.
2. What does Dr. Sloper decide he needs to do?
(a) Learn about Mr. Townsend.
(b) Encourage the relationship between Mr. Townsend and his daughter.
(c) Teach his daughter a lesson.
(d) Get his daughter married as soon as possible.
3. What does Catherine agree to do?
(a) Move out of the house with Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Move in with Mr. Townsend.
(c) Marry Mr. Townsend.
(d) Talk to her father about her engagement.
4. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
(a) It has become surrounded with new rich.
(b) It has become surrounded with factories.
(c) It has become surrounded with businesses.
(d) It has become surrounded with annoying neighbors.
5. What does Dr. Sloper suggest in teasing in Chapter 6?
(a) That Mr. Townsend might propose to Catherine.
(b) That Catherine might elope.
(c) That Mr. Townsend might be married.
(d) That Mrs. Penniman might have found her next husband.
6. To whom does Catherine see Mr. Townsend talk?
(a) Her friend. Caroline.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
7. From what city has Mr. Townsend been away?
(c) New York.
8. What does Dr Sloper request in Chapter 13?
(a) To meet Mr. Townsend privately.
(b) To meet with Mrs. Montgomery.
(c) That Mrs. Montgomery come to see him at his practice.
(d) That Mrs. Almond prevent Mr. Townsend from staying at her house.
9. How long after the party does Mr Townsend go see Catherine?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few months.
10. What does Dr. Sloper grow concerned about regarding his sister?
(a) That her feminism will influence Catherine.
(b) That her romanticism will influence Catherine.
(c) That her realism will influence Catherine.
(d) That her narcissism will influence Catherine.
11. When does Dr. Sloper marry Miss Catherine Harrington?
(a) In the 1820's.
(b) In the 1810's.
(c) In the 1830's.
(d) In the 1840's.
12. What does Dr. Sloper cause in his interlocutor in Chapter 8?
13. With what is Dr. Sloper annoyed in Chapter 15?
(a) Catherine always talking about Mr. Townsend.
(b) Mrs. Almond's overbearing comments about Catherine.
(c) Mrs. Penniman's involvement with Mr. Townsend.
(d) Catherine's commitment to Mr. Townsend.
14. How does Mrs Montgomery describe her brother?
(d) Hard working.
15. What does Mrs Penniman encourage Catherine to do?
(a) Continue to send messages through Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Continue to see Mr. Townsend.
(c) Continue to send love letters.
(d) Continue to persuade her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sloper assure Mrs Montgomery?
2. What does Mrs Penniman arrange to do in secret?
3. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
4. When does Catherine speak to her father in Chapter 11?
5. What does Dr. Sloper tease Catherine about?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)