|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine feel when close to Mr. Townsend?
2. What does Mr. Townsend suggest doing to impress the person he is meeting?
(a) Go back to school.
(b) Return the horse Catherine gave him.
(c) Work a lowly job.
(d) Become his apprentice.
3. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Townsend?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her best friend, Caroline.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her aunt.
4. How long after the party does Mr Townsend go see Catherine?
(a) A few months.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few days.
5. With whom does Mr. Townsend correspond regularly?
(a) Catherine and Mrs. Penniman.
(c) Mrs. Almond.
(d) Mrs. Penniman.
6. What does Catherine insist on knowing?
(a) What Dr. Sloper is planning.
(b) What Mrs. Penniman is planning.
(c) What Mrs. Almond is planning.
(d) What Mrs. Penniman and Mr. Townsend discussed.
7. What does Dr. Sloper refuse to do?
(a) Give his consent.
(b) Give Mr.Townsend a horse.
(c) Give Mr. Townsend a loan.
(d) Allow Catherine to move out of the house.
8. What does Dr. Sloper ask of his sister?
(a) That she raise Catherine to be prissy.
(b) That she raise Catherine to be beautiful.
(c) That she raise Catherine to be a good wife.
(d) That she raise Catherine to be clever.
9. What does Mr. Townsend stop doing?
(a) Speaking with Mrs. Penniman.
(b) Coming to Washington Square.
(c) Justifying himself to others.
(d) Visiting his sister.
10. How old is Catherine when Dr. Sloper invites his widowed sister to live with them temporarily?
11. What does Catherine fear in Chapter 10?
(a) Upsetting her father.
(b) Upsetting Mr. Townsend.
(c) Upsetting Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Telling her father she married Mr. Townsend.
12. To whom is Catherine close?
(a) Her siblings.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her best friend Caroline.
(d) Her cousins.
13. What does Dr. Sloper decide he needs to do?
(a) Encourage the relationship between Mr. Townsend and his daughter.
(b) Teach his daughter a lesson.
(c) Get his daughter married as soon as possible.
(d) Learn about Mr. Townsend.
14. With whom does Mr. Townsend talk while visiting Catherine?
(a) His cousin.
(b) Mrs. Penniman.
(d) Her father.
15. What does Mr. Townsend teach to his sister's children?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dr Sloper in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Dr. Sloper move in Chapter 3?
3. What is Catherine state of mind at the start of Chapter 17?
4. Why does Dr. Sloper move from his old house?
5. From whom does Mr. Townsend receive sympathy?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)