Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapters 1-4
1. What is the relationship between Dr. Sloper and Miss Catherine Harrington in Chapter 1?
2. How many children does Mrs. Sloper have?
3. According to Chapter 2, who is Mrs. Penniman and what does she do?
4. What concern does Dr. Sloper have regarding Catherine?
5. Where does Dr. Sloper move his family in Chapter 3 and why?
6. Who lives across town?
7. Who is Marian and to whom does she introduce Catherine in Chapter 4?
This section contains 625 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)