* In Chapter 1, Dr, Sloper is 50 years old.
* In the 1820's, Dr Sloper married Miss Catherine Harrington, a wealthy young woman, for love.
* Dr, Sloper and his wife have a son who dies at age 3.
* Dr, Sloper has a daughter two years later, but Catherine (the mother) dies a week after giving birth.
* The girl is named Catherine after her mother.
* In Chapter 2, Dr Sloper's widowed sister, Mrs Penniman, comes to live with him when Catherine is 10 and quickly takes over her education.
* Mrs. Penniman is given a mission by her brother to raise Catherine to be smart, but instead raises her to be a romantic like she is.
* Catherine grows up being plain and somewhat stout.
* In Chapter 3, Dr. Sloper moves his family to Washington Square.
* Dr. Sloper's other sister, Mrs. Almond, lives across town.
* Catherine often visits her 7 cousins across town.
* In Chapter 4, Catherine meets...
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)