|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most idioms of the war arose from which source?
(c) Official reports.
2. Citizens were considered subversive if they did not participate in what efforts?
(a) Home gardening.
(b) Donating metal for munitions.
(c) Supporting the troops.
3. Media outlets were concerned with the esprit de corps in what areas?
(a) In Europe only.
(b) In headquarters.
(c) At the front and at home.
4. How did advertisers and other companies think of the war?
(a) As a waste.
(b) As a cost of doing business.
(c) As a sales device.
(d) As a tragedy.
5. The compensation from the title of Chapter 15 refers to what?
(a) The upside of excessive patriotism.
(b) Allied victories.
(c) Pay for soldiers.
(d) Good things that came out of the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Public media took its cues from what source?
2. Why did mainstream media outlets adopt the strategy of accentuating the positive?
3. Which of the following is NOT one way that soldiers perceived of the war?
4. What was one of the causes of the lack of quality in the media and other outlets during the war?
5. Overall, the deprivation faced by American and British citizens would best be described as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were more enduring war novels written and why were they written during this time period?
2. What did front line troops usually believe about depictions of their wartime experiences?
3. How and why did the media fail to report the entire story of the war?
4. What was the importance of the literary journal Horizon?
5. How did soldiers react to the media's presentation of the war?
6. What were the most important types of media during the war?
7. What is one type of preparation that was made in England in anticipation of an invasion?
8. How did the media interpret the suffering of the nation's citizenry?
9. What critical knowledge did an average soldier typically lack?
10. What qualities caused an idiom to transfer to enter the general vocabulary?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)