|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most idioms of the war arose from which source?
(a) Official reports.
2. The media presented a view wherein the suffering of the nation's citizenry was linked to what?
(a) Lofty ideals.
(b) Necessary sacrifices.
(c) The enemy's aggression.
(d) A grand strategy.
3. What impact of Horizon is considered briefly at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Its understated impact.
(b) Its impact on contemporary journalistic style.
(c) Its impact on state media.
(d) Its continuing impact.
4. Overall, the media presented the war effort as being which of the following?
(a) A struggle to the death.
(b) An immoral act of aggression.
(c) A good-versus-evil apocalypse.
(d) An unwinnable debacle.
5. Media outlets were concerned with the esprit de corps in what areas?
(a) In headquarters.
(b) In Europe only.
(c) At the front and at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many terms that persisted after the war had what quality?
2. How did advertisers change their strategies during the war?
3. Why were did the most enduring war novels come out of a certain time period?
4. To soldiers, war reporting lacked what familiar element?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that American soldiers were usually portrayed by the media?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the overall reading experience of citizens and soldiers like during the war?
2. What difficulties did the publishing industry face during the war?
3. What was the importance of the literary journal Horizon?
4. Why did citizens in the US and England suffer from deprivation?
5. What critical knowledge did an average soldier typically lack?
6. How did the media interpret the suffering of the nation's citizenry?
7. What is one type of preparation that was made in England in anticipation of an invasion?
8. What were American soldiers told they were fighting for?
9. Simply stated, what is the policy of "accentuating the positive"?
10. How did most media outlets react to the requirements placed on them?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)