|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many idioms originating in the war might be described as which of the following?
2. How accepting were most soldiers of the media's interpretation of the meaning of the war?
(a) Most new recruits believed it.
(b) Most believed small parts of it.
(c) Most secretly believed it for their entire tour.
(d) Few believed any of it.
3. Most soldiers believed that the meaning and purpose of the war was which of the following?
(a) Nothing definable.
(c) Defeating fascism.
4. Why does the author regard the deprivation of soldiers as unremarkable?
(a) They always face deprivation in any war.
(b) They are used to deprivations and wouldn't notice them.
(c) They enjoy a simple lifestyle.
(d) They are unimportant in the grand scheme.
5. Overall, the media coverage of the war would best be described as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most media outlets react to the requirements placed on them?
2. What author is specifically credited with producing an accurate memoir of the war?
3. How did the media handle the worst aspects of the war?
4. What did the average soldiers believe about the meaning of the war?
5. When were most enduring war novels written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overall, what was the media portrayal of the war like?
2. How and why did the media fail to report the entire story of the war?
3. Why were front line soldiers confused by media presentations of the war?
4. What was the importance of the literary journal Horizon?
5. Why did citizens in the US and England suffer from deprivation?
6. What qualities caused an idiom to transfer to enter the general vocabulary?
7. What difficulties did the publishing industry face during the war?
8. What is one way that a person could become considered to be subversive?
9. Simply stated, what is the policy of "accentuating the positive"?
10. How did soldiers react to the media's presentation of the war?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)