|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Copies of the New Testament were frequently altered in what way?
(a) By replacing their covers with canvas.
(b) By tearing out the book of Acts.
(c) By dyeing the pages red.
(d) By adding a steel backing to them.
2. According to one rumor, what substance was added to food served to servicemen?
3. What was one way that the military controlled the reports of blunders coming from embedded reporters?
4. The presentation of the war by state and public media is best described as which of the following?
5. The rumor about German sympathizers conveying intelligence to the enemy suggested that they were relaying what type of information?
(a) Artillery locations.
(b) Air strike flight plans.
(c) Troop locations.
(d) Troop movements.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumors about the axis frequently dealt with what subject?
2. The author suggests that disliked soldiers were more likely to be selected for what type of duty?
3. What was one of the most routine ways that enlisted men dealt with the hazing they received from officers?
4. The author states that most of the weapons issued to American armed forces suffered from what problems?
5. The author suggests that before the outbreak of war, the American military was prepared for what type of performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many soldiers require an anodyne?
2. What sort of information is regularly denied to the common soldier?
3. How was military jargon and vocabulary used to demean enlisted men?
4. According to the author, what is the result on the battlefield of the relatively young age of soldiers and the violence of warfare?
5. What beliefs do younger soldiers typically have that older soldiers do not?
6. How did soldiers think about women most of the time?
7. What beliefs did American have about the Japanese going into the war, and how did those beliefs change?
8. What qualities epitomized the American forces prior to their entry into WWII?
9. How and why did military and public authorities react to stereotyping of enemy forces?
10. According to the author, why does the human mind crave narrative order?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)