|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a common stereotype, Chinese troops were consider to be what?
(a) Crack shots.
2. What factor does the author cite as being the most important in causing one force to misidentify another?
(a) Differing nationalities.
(b) Differing service branches.
(c) The use of camouflage.
(d) The use of new battalion insignia.
3. How common was sexual intercourse as an anodyne compared with drinking?
(a) It was slightly less common.
(b) It was equally common.
(c) It was slightly more common.
(d) It was much more common.
4. What drink did German troops generally prefer?
5. Rumors about the axis frequently dealt with what subject?
(a) Their tenacity.
(b) Their combat prowess.
(c) Their atrocities.
(d) Their superior weaponry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the iconic pre-war image discussed in Chapter 1, what are the soldiers towing?
2. One rumor suggested that German sympathizers used what animal to convey intelligence to the enemy?
3. Why did enlisted men require an "anodyne"?
4. The author suggests that combat training replaces what other activity typical for young men?
5. What belief about the Japanese caused Americans to think that their war with Japan would end quickly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once they were in the war, how did Americans believe they could win it?
2. What does the term "chickenshit" mean?
3. How did soldiers think about women most of the time?
4. How and why did military and public authorities react to stereotyping of enemy forces?
5. What qualities epitomized the American forces prior to their entry into WWII?
6. What beliefs did American have about the Japanese going into the war, and how did those beliefs change?
7. Why have nearly all nations historically favored younger soldiers?
8. What problems did American arms and armaments suffer from in the early parts of WWII?
9. What types of hazing were most common?
10. What drinks were preferred by men from different nations in the war?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)