|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of an official idiom first used in World War II?
2. How accepting were most soldiers of the media's interpretation of the meaning of the war?
(a) Most secretly believed it for their entire tour.
(b) Few believed any of it.
(c) Most believed small parts of it.
(d) Most new recruits believed it.
3. Books produced specifically for servicemen were made specially in what way?
(a) They usually had a steel backing.
(b) They were sized to fit in their pockets.
(c) They were bound with extra strength.
(d) They came with waterproof covers.
4. Many idioms originating in the war might be described as which of the following?
5. How were most economies organized after the war began?
(a) They were focused solely on wartime production.
(b) They were driven by free-market demands.
(c) They were divided evenly into war and peace production types.
(d) They were almost entirely nationalized for war production.
6. Who controlled access to war zones for public media staff?
(a) The state media.
(b) The military.
(c) The executive branch.
(d) War planners.
7. Creepback is a phenomenon occurring in what?
(a) Foundering offensives.
(b) Artillery shelling.
(c) Aerial bombing.
(d) Military intelligence.
8. How did most soldiers regard reading?
(a) They loved it as a pastime.
(b) They engaged in it only when there were no alternatives.
(c) They looked down on it.
(d) They regarded it as pointless.
9. Why did most media outlets adopts their reaction to the requirements placed on them?
(a) Because of federal mandates.
(b) Out of professionalism.
(c) They felt it was a patriotic duty.
(d) Due to competition.
10. The media tended to do what with negative reports from the war?
(a) Cover them thoroughly.
(b) Forget them.
(c) Report them quietly.
(d) Deny them.
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that American soldiers were usually portrayed by the media?
12. How does the author establish the nature of the media's presentation of the war?
(a) Through personal stories.
(b) Through prose and verse quotations.
(c) Through anecdotes.
(d) Through statistics.
13. The compensation from the title of Chapter 15 refers to what?
(a) Pay for soldiers.
(b) The upside of excessive patriotism.
(c) Allied victories.
(d) Good things that came out of the war.
14. A typical soldier's amount of downtime would best be described as which of the following?
(b) Short and rare.
15. What practice became popular at home during the war?
(b) Home defense drills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the public reaction to censorship?
2. Chapter 10 centers around the common soldier's perception of what characteristic of the war?
3. Which of the following is one major type of resource that American citizens were deprived of during the war?
4. What was the physical quality of most literary works produced during the war?
5. Citizens were considered subversive if they did not participate in what efforts?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)