|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes what the author believes about the US media's depiction of warfare?
(a) It was generally accurate.
(b) It was inadequate.
(c) It was misleading.
(d) It was falsified.
2. What was one of the causes of the lack of quality in the media and other outlets during the war?
(a) Lack of skilled editors.
(c) Lack of manpower.
3. Books produced specifically for servicemen were made specially in what way?
(a) They were bound with extra strength.
(b) They usually had a steel backing.
(c) They were sized to fit in their pockets.
(d) They came with waterproof covers.
4. Later in the war, the media presented most allied victories as triumphs over what forces?
(a) Superstition and slavery.
(b) Godlessness and evil.
(c) Forsaken people and outdated beliefs.
(d) Tyranny and oppression.
5. Why were novels produced before the war more popular than contemporary ones?
(a) Difference of opinion was not frowned upon then.
(b) People needed an escape from the deprivations of the war.
(c) The subject was not limited to the war.
(d) They reminded people of a better time.
6. Censorship usually consisted of what?
(a) Not printing certain books.
(b) Editing out sections of books before printing.
(c) Condemning certain publishers.
(d) Burning subversive books.
7. What type of novels became more popular during the war?
(d) War stories.
8. Which of the following is one major type of resource that American citizens were deprived of during the war?
(b) Exotic foods.
(c) Wood for construction.
9. Citizens were considered subversive if they did not participate in what efforts?
(a) Supporting the troops.
(b) Home gardening.
(c) Donating metal for munitions.
10. Most of the efforts discussed in America and Britain were aimed at which of the following?
(a) Getting citizens to manufacture products in their space time.
(b) Creating new products.
(c) Reducing use of products.
(d) Increasing the resiliency of industry.
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the resources that the author cites specifically as being scarce during the war?
(c) Binding boards.
12. What was the public reaction to censorship?
(a) It was railed against.
(b) It was not generally known of.
(c) It was tolerated occasionally.
(d) It was accepted.
13. What type of magazine was Horizon?
(a) A literary journal.
(b) A popular periodical.
(c) A news journal.
(d) A political magazine.
14. Many terms that persisted after the war had what quality?
(b) Patriotic meaning.
15. How does the author establish the nature of the media's presentation of the war?
(a) Through anecdotes.
(b) Through statistics.
(c) Through prose and verse quotations.
(d) Through personal stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, real exposure to warfare had what effect on the beliefs of individual soldiers?
2. Why does the author regard the deprivation of soldiers as unremarkable?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things that the author states to have been almost totally marred by high-mindedness during the war?
4. The compensation from the title of Chapter 15 refers to what?
5. What other outlets are specifically cited in Chapter 13 for adopting the tone and texture of official media?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)