|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most soldiers believed that the meaning and purpose of the war was which of the following?
(a) Nothing definable.
(d) Defeating fascism.
2. Which of the following best describes what the author believes about the US media's depiction of warfare?
(a) It was inadequate.
(b) It was generally accurate.
(c) It was falsified.
(d) It was misleading.
3. Books produced specifically for servicemen were made specially in what way?
(a) They were bound with extra strength.
(b) They usually had a steel backing.
(c) They came with waterproof covers.
(d) They were sized to fit in their pockets.
4. Many idioms originating in the war might be described as which of the following?
5. What was done in England to frustrate a potential invading force?
(a) Every male citizen was issued a rifle.
(b) Streets were interrupted by large barricades.
(c) Roadway signs and building addresses were removed.
(d) Certain unmarked fields were filled with land mines.
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that American soldiers were usually portrayed by the media?
7. The soldiers' primary sources of information primarily focused on what subject?
(a) The war effort.
(b) The conditions at home.
(c) Military intelligence.
(d) The enemy.
8. Which of the following is NOT one way that soldiers perceived of the war?
9. What type of magazine was Horizon?
(a) A political magazine.
(b) A popular periodical.
(c) A literary journal.
(d) A news journal.
10. What was a soldier's primary source of information?
(a) Stateside media.
(b) Official military publications.
(c) Word of mouth.
(d) Hand bills and flyers.
11. How did advertisers and other companies think of the war?
(a) As a sales device.
(b) As a tragedy.
(c) As a waste.
(d) As a cost of doing business.
12. A typical soldier's amount of downtime would best be described as which of the following?
(d) Short and rare.
13. What practice became popular at home during the war?
(d) Home defense drills.
14. Overall, the reading experience of most citizens and soldiers could best be described as which of the following?
15. How did advertisers change their strategies during the war?
(a) They linked their campaigns to military campaigns.
(b) They linked their products to the war effort.
(c) They distanced their products from the war.
(d) They marketed primarily to the military planners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the things that American soldiers were told they were fighting for?
2. Overall, the author believes that the political and media-based interpretation of the war was what?
3. Contrary to the media's presentation, the author believed that most allied victories were due to what factors?
4. According to the author, real exposure to warfare had what effect on the beliefs of individual soldiers?
5. The media tended to do what with negative reports from the war?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)