|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one rumor, what substance was added to food served to servicemen?
2. How did much of the American public react to initial reports of violence, chaos and casualty figures?
(a) They were appalled.
(b) They were uninterested.
(c) They refused to believe them.
(d) They ignored them.
3. The presentation of the war by state and public media is best described as which of the following?
4. Why did enlisted men require an "anodyne"?
(a) To make up for their low self-images.
(b) To provide a distraction.
(c) To deal with the loss of friends.
(d) To cope with the stresses of warfare.
5. What term does the author not use as an example of vocabulary intended to demean enlisted men?
(a) Dog tags.
(c) Pup tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ernie Pyle's profession?
2. Allegedly, agents working for the axis spread what rumor?
3. Throughout Chapter 6, the author describes enlisted men as being which of the following?
4. In the American armed services, the term "chickenshit" referred to what?
5. Ernie Pyle was notable for taking great pains in his writing to list what?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)