|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most hazing would best be described as what?
2. What conditions caused servicemen to set aside the preoccupation with women as objects of sexualized desire?
(a) Extended foreign deployments.
(c) Movement to the front.
3. What are the "Unread Books" to which Chapter 5's title alludes?
(a) The vague orders given to many officers.
(b) The lives that dead soldiers never got to experience.
(c) The stories about secret military plans.
(d) The lack of interest most officers had for their men.
4. In the iconic pre-war image discussed in Chapter 1, what are the soldiers towing?
(a) Heavy artillery.
(b) Ammunition and supplies.
(c) A destroyed enemy vehicle.
(d) A light field-piece.
5. Allegedly, agents working for the axis spread what rumor?
(a) German soldiers ate metal shavings with their food.
(b) The Oder river had never been crossed by an invading force.
(c) Soldiers' wives were unfaithful.
(d) French women all bore venereal diseases.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author suggests that before the outbreak of war, the American military was prepared for what type of performance?
2. How did the American media react to the image of many conscripts being drunkards?
3. A blunder that causes one force to misidentify another, whether it be friendly or hostile, is called what?
4. The airman discussed in one example of military blunders, and who was killed by English soldiers, belonged to what allied nation?
5. Most proponents of precision bombing suggested that it be used to destroy what enemy targets?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)