|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 - 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, before the outbreak of war, what did Americans expect their military performance to be like?
(a) A defensive struggle.
(b) A good record, mostly of victories.
(c) An unbroken series of hard-fought victories.
(d) A short series of easy victories.
2. At the beginning of World War II, aerial combat was regarded as exemplifying what obsolescent ideal?
(a) Single combat.
3. Soldiers were often not given what type of information?
(a) Their Captain's name.
(b) Their location.
(c) Their division.
(d) Their orders.
4. What are the "Unread Books" to which Chapter 5's title alludes?
(a) The vague orders given to many officers.
(b) The stories about secret military plans.
(c) The lives that dead soldiers never got to experience.
(d) The lack of interest most officers had for their men.
5. The author states that most of the weapons issued to American armed forces suffered from what problems?
(a) They were too expensive.
(b) They were issued in insufficient numbers.
(c) They were poorly made.
(d) They were obsolete.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to one rumor, what substance was added to food served to servicemen?
2. The airman discussed in one example of military blunders, and who was killed by English soldiers, belonged to what allied nation?
3. The author suggests that combat training replaces what other activity typical for young men?
4. Which of the following qualities of warfare does the author NOT suggest to be a contributing factor in military blunders?
5. In the iconic pre-war image discussed in Chapter 1, what are the soldiers towing?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)