|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did enlisted men require an "anodyne"?
(a) To provide a distraction.
(b) To deal with the loss of friends.
(c) To make up for their low self-images.
(d) To cope with the stresses of warfare.
2. What drink were Royal Navy servicemen issued with?
3. According to the author, what belief is typical of younger soldiers and not of older soldiers?
(a) They will survive.
(b) They are the best soldiers in the war.
(c) They will almost certainly die.
(d) They do not matter.
4. What is one reason given for why rumors were started?
5. What are the "Unread Books" to which Chapter 5's title alludes?
(a) The vague orders given to many officers.
(b) The stories about secret military plans.
(c) The lack of interest most officers had for their men.
(d) The lives that dead soldiers never got to experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Japanese troops were typically stereotyped as being what?
2. According to the author, most of the well-known novels about WWII are really about what?
3. According to the stereotype about Chinese troops, they could survive indefinitely if provided with what?
4. How old were the youngest soldiers fielded by the axis during the war?
5. Who was the editor of Horizon?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)