|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaced Judge Davies in the Little Rock integration case?
2. Who offered a reward for getting the remaining Little Rock Nine expelled?
3. After the unsuccessful meeting with the school superintendent, what door did the students take to enter Central High School?
4. Why said, "You hit back every day you get through"?
5. How many New Year's Resolutions did Melba make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What damage did the white mob do after Melba and the other students left the school after their first day inside?
2. What were some of the threats that the Little Rock Nine faced in January?
3. What happened when acid is thrown in Melba's eyes? What was the result?
4. What was the downside to newspapers running articles about the Little Rock Nine?
5. What were the changes that Melba observed in her fellow students integrating into the school as the harassment continued?
6. Melba felts lonely at school. Why?
7. What items dear to Melba did she decide to give away at Thanksgiving?
8. Describe Mrs. Pickwick.
9. What happened at the official Thanksgiving dinner at Mrs. Bates' home?
10. Why did Grandma India want Melba to read about Gandhi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Melba's mother stated that "we live in a country where the law and the Constitution prevail." Compare and contrast the mother's statement with the events in which the state government was battling the federal government.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Central High School as related to education. What else did Central High School come to symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Pattillos decided not to call the police about the attempted rape against Melba or their house being shot at.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)