|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose concert was Melba not allowed to go to in 1956 due to segregation?
2. Who saved Melba from being raped by an angry white man?
3. Who said that "integration is no fun"?
4. Whose eyes were hidden by dark glasses, which were probably hiding the fear she felt on the first day at Central High School?
5. Who was Conrad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Melba's dad visited after her first visit to school. Explain what happened.
2. What was Melba's first impression of the inside of Central High School?
3. How did the Little Rock Nine get to school on their second attempt?
4. What did Melba do with her time on the first day of school after she was forced to return home?
5. What happened when Melba and her mother leave their neighborhood for Central High School?
6. What did Melba do before she got in her mother's car for the first day of school at Central High School in Little Rock?
7. Describe the other girls who integrated into Central High School with Melba.
8. After two days stuck at home and not being allowed to go to school, what does Melba vow to do?
9. Who was Marissa?
10. Who was the first judge who ruled on the integration case in Little Rock? What was his background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is presented as significant that Melba was born on December 7, 1941. Explain why. What did the grandmother claim was Melba's destiny and why?
Essay Topic 2
Although Melba and her family expected the white people to be against the efforts at integration, they were surprised to find that many people in their own community also disapproved of their actions. Explain why this is.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Central High School as related to education. What else did Central High School come to symbolize?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)