|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shoes did Melba wear to school?
2. Which of Melba's classes did she describe as a zoo?
3. Melba had a secret copy of a magazine that she read after she and her mother returned home from unsuccessfully being admitted to Central High School. What was it?
4. Who was the governor of Arkansas at the time integration is first sought at Central High School?
5. Who told Melba "a true warrior does not give up"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the first judge who ruled on the integration case in Little Rock? What was his background?
2. What happened when Melba and her mother leave their neighborhood for Central High School?
3. What was Melba's father like and what work did he do?
4. What did Grandma India do and say to Melba after the attempted rape?
5. After two days stuck at home and not being allowed to go to school, what does Melba vow to do?
6. Describe Grandma India's bedroom.
7. What happened to Elizabeth when she couldn't get into the school on the first day?
8. Who were the boys who were part of the integration effort?
9. Describe the federal courtroom that Melba and the other eight students visited.
10. Who came to the Pattillo house the day after the first attempt at integration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Melba's relationship with her father. Be certain to include how their relationship changed as she grew older and his role in her integrating into the high school.
Essay Topic 2
Melba referred to Cincinnati as "the promised land" and a place where she could feel free and "soar above the clouds." Why were things so different in Cincinnati? Do you believe the North was free of racism in the 1950s?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Melba felt when the 101st Airborne Division arrived in Little Rock. Be certain to provide examples and explain what their presence meant to her.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)