|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Melba's secret crush?
2. What was the date that the Supreme Court ruled on Brown v. Board of Education?
3. Who was the other member of the Little Rock Nine who shared Melba's enjoyment of singing?
4. Who was the Arkansas president of the NAACP in 1957?
5. Who accompanied Governor Faubus to a conference with the President?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Melba do with her time on the first day of school after she was forced to return home?
2. Who was the first judge who ruled on the integration case in Little Rock? What was his background?
3. What did Melba do before she got in her mother's car for the first day of school at Central High School in Little Rock?
4. Why did Mrs. Bates shush Melba in Chapter Nine?
5. Why was Grandma India hanging a picture on the wall above the television?
6. How did Melba arrive to Central High School on her third attempt?
7. What happened when Melba's dad visited after her first visit to school. Explain what happened.
8. Who were the boys who were part of the integration effort?
9. What happened when Melba called her friend Marsha on a Friday night?
10. Who was Marissa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the students presented in "Warriors Don't Cry" grew up in a hurry. Choose one person from the book and write about his or her loss of innocence.
Essay Topic 2
The white leaders of Little Rock refer to Little Rock people as "forward-thinking" and a place where white and African American people got along. These leaders thought that racism was not a problem because there hadn't been a lynching in the state for almost ten years. Melba believed the Little Rock of her youth was anything but progressive. Why did she say this? Why was there such a dichotomy in what people believed about 1950s race relations in Little Rock?
Essay Topic 3
Melba wrote in her diary, "Please, God, let me learn how to stop being a warrior. Sometimes I just need to be a girl." Discuss what you think she meant by this.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)