|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grandma India do when Melba stayed home sick from school in October?
(a) Takes her temperature.
(b) Takes Melba to the doctor.
(c) Let's her have a free day.
(d) Gives Melba a dose of castor oil.
2. What was the usual hot lunch on Tuesdays in the school cafeteria?
(b) Chicken noodle soup.
3. What did Melba hear when the 101st soldiers escorted the nine students inside Central High School?
(a) Boots clicking on the stone.
(b) Chants of the mob.
4. What room at school did Melba sometimes avoid because it was become "the main place for them to get me"?
5. What idea did Melba become obsessed with in late January of the school year?
(a) Beating up on Andy and his friends.
(b) Wearing grown up clothing.
(c) Being dead.
(d) Leaving Central High School.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Melba considering trading to her brother for Christmas?
2. Who accused Melba of making "mountains out of molehills"?
3. Who held a Christmas party on the same night as Melba's sixteenth birthday party?
4. What was Minnijean accused of calling her attackers?
5. Where did the Saturday meeting between the two factions of students take place and who was recording it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Little Rock Nine and their families want to meet with School Superintendent Blossom, and what was the result of that meeting?
2. Why did Grandma India want Melba to read about Gandhi?
3. What happened to Melba when saluting the flag?
4. What items dear to Melba did she decide to give away at Thanksgiving?
5. What were the changes that Melba observed in her fellow students integrating into the school as the harassment continued?
6. What damage did the white mob do after Melba and the other students left the school after their first day inside?
7. How did Grandma India respond to Melba's wish to be dead?
8. What happened at the official Thanksgiving dinner at Mrs. Bates' home?
9. Describe Little Rock's shopping district.
10. Who participated in the heart-to-heart talk with hard core school segregationists? Did the talk help?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)