|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. State officials decided to go after NAACP officials in Arkansas. What was the fine to Mrs. Bates for not supplying information on the NAACP?
2. What did Vince bring to Melba for their date?
(a) A box of chocolate.
(b) A dozen red roses.
(c) A handful of daisies.
(d) A single yellow rose.
3. Who accused Melba of making "mountains out of molehills"?
(b) School office staff.
(c) White students.
4. During the time that the 101st was at Central High School, who drove the students to school?
(c) Mrs. Bates.
(d) The Little Rock police.
5. Who told the mobs in Little Rock that they must cease and desist?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) The President.
(c) The commander of the National Guard.
(d) The Chief of Police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandma India had Melba get involved in a project that interested her. What was it?
2. According the newspaper, what was the cost to taxpayers for federal troops to maintain order at Central High School?
3. Who attacked Melba at the pep rally?
4. Who said to Melba, "anger brings defeat"?
5. According to the Sunday newspaper, whose parents stayed up late discussing whether to allow their child to attend Central before deciding to leave the decision up to their child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Grandma India want Melba to read about Gandhi?
2. Why didn't anyone but Vince show up at Melba's Sixteenth birthday party?
3. Describe Mrs. Pickwick.
4. What was the downside to newspapers running articles about the Little Rock Nine?
5. What items dear to Melba did she decide to give away at Thanksgiving?
6. What damage did the white mob do after Melba and the other students left the school after their first day inside?
7. Who was Gene Smith and what impression did Melba have of him?
8. One day in October the attacks against the students were so severe that what happened?
9. How did Grandma India respond to Melba's wish to be dead?
10. What led to Minnijean's suspension?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)