|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According the newspaper, what was the cost to taxpayers for federal troops to maintain order at Central High School?
(a) $2.5 million.
(b) $3.8 million.
(c) $1.2 million.
(d) $3.4 million.
2. Who referred to Little Rock as "an occupied city"?
(a) President Eisenhower.
(b) Melba's mother.
(c) The school superintendent.
(d) Governor Faubus.
3. How many New Year's Resolutions did Melba make?
4. Who was kicked so hard that sitting down for two days was almost impossible?
5. Which reporter was beaten and shown in a picture with a white man riding on him piggyback?
(a) James Hicks.
(b) Moses Newsom.
(c) Quincy Taylor.
(d) Alex Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who published Melba's article?
2. What Thanksgiving tradition did the Pattillos have?
3. What did Vince bring to Melba for their date?
4. What group of government officials was pressing for the removal of the 101st from Central High School?
5. What music did Melba envision being played for her sixteenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What damage did the white mob do after Melba and the other students left the school after their first day inside?
2. What were some of the threats that the Little Rock Nine faced in January?
3. Why did the Little Rock Nine and their families want to meet with School Superintendent Blossom, and what was the result of that meeting?
4. Who was Gene Smith and what impression did Melba have of him?
5. What happened when acid is thrown in Melba's eyes? What was the result?
6. Why did Grandma India want Melba to read about Gandhi?
7. Describe Little Rock's shopping district.
8. What led to Minnijean's suspension?
9. What was President Eisenhower's response regarding Central High school integration and the mobs in Little Rock?
10. What were the changes that Melba observed in her fellow students integrating into the school as the harassment continued?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)