|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What places did Melba's father talk about where African American men were treated equal?
(a) North Dakota and Pennsylvania.
(b) Illinois and Washington.
(c) Massachusetts and California.
(d) Paris, France and New York.
2. Who brought food to the Pattillos, saying "So's the white people won't catch you'all shopping and chop your heads off"?
(a) Melba's father.
(b) Mrs. Floyd.
(c) Mrs. Convers.
(d) Mrs. Beals.
3. Who told Melba "a true warrior does not give up"?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) One of the other students.
(d) The mayor.
4. What did Melba have to drink at the home of the NAACP president before talking to the press?
(a) RC Cola.
(b) Cherry Cola.
(c) Vanilla Coke.
(d) Grapette Cola.
5. Who told Melba to "make this day the best you can" on the day the 101st took her to school?
(a) Her minister.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mrs. Bates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date that the Supreme Court ruled on Brown v. Board of Education?
2. How many double-dates had Melba and Vince enjoyed with Grandma and Mr. Claxton at the wrestling matches?
3. Who was the attorney that worked on Brown v. Board of Education and who also asked the Federal District Court on behalf of the NAACP to start integration in Little Rock immediately?
4. In Melba's opinion, who looked like a caramel-colored James Darin?
5. Who was Virgil Blossom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Grandma India hanging a picture on the wall above the television?
2. When the author arrived for the 1987 reunion, what was the most astounding evidence that things had changed?
3. Why did Melba want to meet Governor Faubus face to face?
4. Why did Mrs. Bates shush Melba in Chapter Nine?
5. Who was Marissa?
6. After two days stuck at home and not being allowed to go to school, what does Melba vow to do?
7. What happened when Melba and her mother leave their neighborhood for Central High School?
8. What happened when Melba's dad visited after her first visit to school. Explain what happened.
9. What did Melba do with her time on the first day of school after she was forced to return home?
10. What did Grandma India do and say to Melba after the attempted rape?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)