|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose songs did Melba once want to sing at talent shows?
(a) Diana Ross.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Rosemary Clooney.
(d) Dinah Washington.
2. Who held a Christmas party on the same night as Melba's sixteenth birthday party?
3. What room at school did Melba sometimes avoid because it was become "the main place for them to get me"?
4. Who was kicked so hard that sitting down for two days was almost impossible?
5. Where was the Arkansas governor's retreat?
(a) Padres Island, Texas.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) Hilton Head, South Carolina.
(d) Sea Island, Georgia.
6. Who was the soldier assigned to Melba?
7. According the newspaper, what was the cost to taxpayers for federal troops to maintain order at Central High School?
(a) $3.4 million.
(b) $1.2 million.
(c) $3.8 million.
(d) $2.5 million.
8. Who was the Monopoly champ in the Pattillo household?
(a) The mother.
9. What Thanksgiving tradition did the Pattillos have?
(a) Volunteering at the mission.
(b) Making a donation to a charity.;
(c) Making an offering at church.
(d) Giving away toys and clothing.
10. What did Grandma India do when Melba stayed home sick from school in October?
(a) Let's her have a free day.
(b) Gives Melba a dose of castor oil.
(c) Takes her temperature.
(d) Takes Melba to the doctor.
11. What did Melba hear when the 101st soldiers escorted the nine students inside Central High School?
(a) Boots clicking on the stone.
(c) Chants of the mob.
12. What music did Melba envision being played for her sixteenth birthday?
(a) Sweet Little Sixteen.
(b) Sweet Sixteen.
(c) She Was Only Sixteen.
(d) Sixteen Candles.
13. At Christmas, how many integration lawsuits were pending in Arkansas?
14. Who referred to Little Rock as "an occupied city"?
(a) Melba's mother.
(b) Governor Faubus.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) The school superintendent.
15. Who told the Little Rock Nine to "complain only when something is injurious to your health, or life-threatening"?
(a) National Guard.
(b) School officials.
(c) The police.
(d) NAACP officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time that the 101st was at Central High School, who drove the students to school?
2. What was Melba considering trading to her brother for Christmas?
3. After the unsuccessful meeting with the school superintendent, what door did the students take to enter Central High School?
4. Who accused Melba of making "mountains out of molehills"?
5. Who filed a civil suit against the NAACP in Arkansas?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)