|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the Little Rock Nine had a bomb placed under the porch of the home?
2. What did Vince bring to Melba for their date?
(a) A box of chocolate.
(b) A handful of daisies.
(c) A dozen red roses.
(d) A single yellow rose.
3. Who looked like "spectators at a sports event" when Melba arrives at school on October 1?
(a) Student parents.
(c) Arkansas National Guard.
4. What music did Melba envision being played for her sixteenth birthday?
(a) Sweet Little Sixteen.
(b) Sixteen Candles.
(c) Sweet Sixteen.
(d) She Was Only Sixteen.
5. How did the Little Rock Nine get out of the school when the mob threatens to overrun the school?
(a) Through a basement garage.
(b) Through a side entrance.
(c) Through a back entrance.
(d) Through a tunnel.
6. Melba decided to "claim Saturday for her own" after her first week of school. What time did she rise?
(a) 4 a.m.
(b) 6 a.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 8 a.m.
7. Who offered a reward for getting the remaining Little Rock Nine expelled?
(a) The Little Rock City Council.
(b) The Ku Klux Klan.
(c) The CHS Mothers League.
(d) White Citizens Council.
8. Who were the federalized soldiers that inadequately protected the nine children?
(a) Screaming Eagles.
(b) Solders from Camp Robinson.
(c) Third Infantry Division.
(d) Arkansas National Guard.
9. What incident brought the 101st soldiers back on a Thursday?
(a) Gloria being pushed downstairs.
(b) Terrence and Jefferson being kicked while Guardsmen watched.
(c) Thelma being cut with a switchblade.
(d) Melba having acid thrown into her face.
10. Who was the Monopoly champ in the Pattillo household?
(a) The mother.
11. State officials decided to go after NAACP officials in Arkansas. What was the fine to Mrs. Bates for not supplying information on the NAACP?
12. Who yelled to Melba, "Now you've had your lesson. You don't have to go back to that awful school anymore"?
(a) Melba's father.
(c) Mrs. Convers.
(d) Mrs. Floyd.
13. What location at Central High School was like a peaceful island to Melba?
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) Mrs. Pickwick's shorthand class.
(d) The exit.
14. Why said, "I'm angry enough to hunt bear without my shotgun"?
(b) Superintendent Blossom.
(c) The father of a white student.
(d) The father of one of the Little Rock Nine.
15. What did Melba's grandmother say was the mark of a disciplined individual?
(a) A lean physique.
(b) Good posture.
(c) Polished shoes.
(d) Pressed clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Melba's grandma using jelly beans for?
2. What room at school did Melba sometimes avoid because it was become "the main place for them to get me"?
3. What was Minnijean accused of calling her attackers?
4. In early October, what adult with Central High School protected Melba, Minnijean and Ernie from tormentors?
5. Which reporter was beaten and shown in a picture with a white man riding on him piggyback?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)