|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Pattillos escape Andy and his friends at the store?
(a) Walking with three large sisters of the church.
(b) With a police escort.
(c) By sneaking away.
(d) By running faster than the boys.
2. What did Vince give Melba for her birthday?
(a) A record album.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) Tiny gold hoop earrings.
3. Who looked like "spectators at a sports event" when Melba arrives at school on October 1?
(c) Arkansas National Guard.
(d) Student parents.
4. What did Melba recite to herself to keep her focus?
(a) The Lord's Prayer.
(b) Lyrics to her favorite song.
(c) The Gettysburg Address.
(d) A nursery rhyme.
5. What was Minnijean accused of calling her attackers?
(b) White trash.
6. What was the usual hot lunch on Tuesdays in the school cafeteria?
(c) Chicken noodle soup.
7. Who filed a civil suit against the NAACP in Arkansas?
(a) The state attorney general.
(b) Governor Faubus.
(c) The school superintendent.
(d) An alderman.
8. Where did the Saturday meeting between the two factions of students take place and who was recording it?
(a) Community Center; ABC.
(b) Central High School; CBS.
(c) Little Rock College; WWLS.
(d) Parish Hall of St. Andrews; NBC.
9. What book did Melba's English teacher assign for a book report?
(a) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Little Black Sambo.
(d) Lord Jim.
10. Which reporter was beaten and shown in a picture with a white man riding on him piggyback?
(a) James Hicks.
(b) Alex Wilson.
(c) Quincy Taylor.
(d) Moses Newsom.
11. How did the Little Rock Nine get out of the school when the mob threatens to overrun the school?
(a) Through a back entrance.
(b) Through a basement garage.
(c) Through a side entrance.
(d) Through a tunnel.
12. Grandma India had Melba get involved in a project that interested her. What was it?
(a) Writing short stories.
(b) Helping underprivileged children.
(c) Learning to dance.
(d) The Explorer satellite.
13. Who held a Christmas party on the same night as Melba's sixteenth birthday party?
14. According to the Sunday newspaper, whose parents stayed up late discussing whether to allow their child to attend Central before deciding to leave the decision up to their child?
(c) Terrence (Terry).
15. What class did Melba withdraw from after Christmas due to not being able to concentrate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Melba's grandma using jelly beans for?
2. Who said to Melba, "anger brings defeat"?
3. Who replaced Judge Davies in the Little Rock integration case?
4. What did Melba's old friend Marsha call Melba?
5. What was Melba's class after gym class?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)