|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many students were chosen to integrate the Little Rock High School?
2. What was the popular name of the 101st Airborne Division?
(a) Screaming Eagles.
(b) Fearless Hawks.
(c) Fighting Squadron.
(d) Flying Tigers.
3. Who spoke with a "quick New York accent overlying a slight Southern drawl"?
(a) Herbert Brownell, Jr.
(b) Dr. Lorch.
(c) Thurgood Marshall.
(d) Wiley Branton.
4. Who did Melba know who graduated from college in 1954?
(a) Melba's mother.
(b) Melba's preacher.
(c) Melba's best friend.
(d) Melba's father.
5. Who was the first white person to call Melba "Miss Pattillo"?
(a) An NAACP official.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A white reporter.
(d) A police officer.
6. Who was Conrad?
(a) Melba's father.
(b) Melba's brother.
(c) The grocer down the street.
(d) Melba's classmate.
7. Where did the Pattillos usually sit at church?
(a) Second row.
(b) Left of center.
(c) Right of center.
(d) In the balcony.
8. What was Grandma India's favorite hymn?
(a) "Precious Lord, Take My Hand."
(b) "On the Battlefield for my Lord."
(c) "Sing of Justice, Sing of Peace."
(d) "Amazing Grace."
9. What two students are chosen to testify in federal court in the school integration case?
(a) Thelma and Melba.
(b) Terrence and Carlotta.
(c) Ernest and Elizabeth.
(d) Jefferson and Millijean.
10. What historic event happened on the day the author was born?
(a) The beach at Normandy is stormed.
(b) The Korean War begins.
(c) Okinawa is bombed.
(d) Pearl Harbor is bombed.
11. Who told Melba to stay away from the window on the first day in school?
(a) The PE teacher.
(b) The homeroom teacher.
(c) The guide.
(d) Mrs. Pickwick.
12. How many double-dates had Melba and Vince enjoyed with Grandma and Mr. Claxton at the wrestling matches?
13. Which of the Little Rock Nine started to turn blue after entering the Central High office?
14. Who saved Melba from being raped by an angry white man?
(b) Grandma India.
15. Who was the other member of the Little Rock Nine who shared Melba's enjoyment of singing?
Short Answer Questions
1. At age four, what did Melba do in her Indian Head tablet?
2. What record albums did Melba play for romantic daydreaming?
3. After Judge Davis ordered school integration to continue, what day and time did Governor Faubus remove the National Guard from Central High School?
4. What were the girls doing in Melba's first gym class?
5. What does "amicus curiae" mean in "Warriors Don't Cry"?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)