|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Daisy Bates?
(a) Thelma's friend.
(b) A teacher at Central High School.
(c) A school board member.
(d) The Arkansas NAACP president.
2. On the first day that the Little Rock Nine attended Central High School classes, the crowd outside the school outnumbered the police by about how much?
(a) Ten times as many.
(b) Twenty times as many.
(c) A hundredfold.
(d) Fifty times as many.
3. Who was the governor of Arkansas at the time integration is first sought at Central High School?
(a) Winthrop Rockefeller.
(b) Orval Faubus.
(c) Francis Cherry.
(d) Bill Clinton.
4. Who did Melba know who graduated from college in 1954?
(a) Melba's best friend.
(b) Melba's preacher.
(c) Melba's father.
(d) Melba's mother.
5. Which of the Little Rock Nine started to turn blue after entering the Central High office?
6. What was Grandma India's favorite hymn?
(a) "Sing of Justice, Sing of Peace."
(b) "Amazing Grace."
(c) "Precious Lord, Take My Hand."
(d) "On the Battlefield for my Lord."
7. Who was Virgil Blossom?
(a) U.S. District Attorney.
(b) Little Rock Mayor.
(c) Chairman of the School Board.
(d) The Little Rock school superintendent.
8. What type of car did Melba's mother drive in 1957?
(a) Brown Chevy.
(b) Green Pontiac.
(c) White Ford.
(d) Blue Chrysler.
9. How many students were chosen to integrate the Little Rock High School?
10. What were the girls doing in Melba's first gym class?
11. Who was the attorney that worked on Brown v. Board of Education and who also asked the Federal District Court on behalf of the NAACP to start integration in Little Rock immediately?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Mary Thomason.
(c) Clara Luper.
(d) Ralph Abernathy.
12. Who was Ike?
(a) An NAACP official.
(b) President Eisenhower.
(c) Grandma's boyfriend.
(d) A boy at church.
13. In 1955, Melba read about an African American who forced change. Who was that person and what did that person do?
(a) Rosa Parks, who refuses to give up her seat on a bus.
(b) Samuel Wilbur Tucker, who forces integration at libraries.
(c) Bernice Fisher, who forces lunch counters to integrate.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr., whose protest shut down buses in Montgomery.
14. What was Melba's grandmother's first name?
15. What record albums did Melba play for romantic daydreaming?
(a) Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis.
(b) Elvis Presley and Sam Cooke.
(c) Richie Valens and Little Richard.
(d) Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the wrestling matches held that Melba and her grandmother attended?
2. Who told Melba to stay away from the window on the first day in school?
3. What was Melba worried would be swept under the carpet for her "grandchildren to retrieve"?
4. In 1954, what was the population of Little Rock and of that number, how many were African American?
5. Where was Judge Davies from?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)