|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Mrs. Huckaby?
(a) Central High Vice-Principal for girls.
(b) One of the mothers of the white students.
(c) The mother of one of the Little Rock Nine.
(d) A teacher.
2. Who came looking for Melba at Central High with a red face and a frown?
(a) Mr. Matthews.
(b) Mrs. Huckaby.
(c) A police officer.
(d) Her guide.
3. Who was Conrad?
(a) Melba's father.
(b) The grocer down the street.
(c) Melba's brother.
(d) Melba's classmate.
4. Who did the author meet on the 30th anniversary of Little Rock integration that her brother referred to as "good people"?
(a) Eisenhower's daughter.
(b) Winthrop Rockefeller.
(c) Orval Faubus.
(d) Bill Clinton.
5. Where did the Pattillos usually sit at church?
(a) Second row.
(b) Right of center.
(c) In the balcony.
(d) Left of center.
6. Melba's mother was a teacher. What did she teach?
(a) College science.
(b) Elementary school math.
(c) 11th grade social studies.
(d) 7th grade English.
7. Who told Melba to "make this day the best you can" on the day the 101st took her to school?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Mrs. Bates.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her minister.
8. What does "amicus curiae" mean in "Warriors Don't Cry"?
(b) Friend of the court.
(c) Court opposition.
(d) Defense or Prosecution.
9. Who does Grandma describe as "smart like a fox"?
(a) Governor Faubus.
(b) Thurgood Marshall.
(c) Judge Davies.
(d) President Eisenhower.
10. What room number was Melba's homeroom?
11. What historic event happened on the day the author was born?
(a) The beach at Normandy is stormed.
(b) The Korean War begins.
(c) Pearl Harbor is bombed.
(d) Okinawa is bombed.
12. What color was the hair of the Arkansas NAACP attorney?
13. What street was Central High School located on?
(a) Park Street.
(b) Ninth Avenue.
(c) Fifteenth Street.
(d) Main Street.
14. What was the popular name of the 101st Airborne Division?
(a) Fighting Squadron.
(b) Screaming Eagles.
(c) Flying Tigers.
(d) Fearless Hawks.
15. In Melba's opinion, who looked like a caramel-colored James Darin?
(a) Nat King Cole.
(d) Johnny Mathis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What places did Melba's father talk about where African American men were treated equal?
2. Who was the attorney that worked on Brown v. Board of Education and who also asked the Federal District Court on behalf of the NAACP to start integration in Little Rock immediately?
3. What was supposed to be the first day of school for Melba in 1957?
4. Who did President Eisenhower send to protect the students integrating into Central High School?
5. Who was the governor of Arkansas at the time integration is first sought at Central High School?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)