|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room number was Melba's homeroom?
2. Who saved Melba from being raped by an angry white man?
(b) Grandma India.
3. What was the "sole voice" of Little Rock's African American community in 1957?
(a) Arkansas State Press.
(b) Arkansas Times.
(c) Little Rock News.
(d) Little Rock Herald.
4. What was Grandma India's favorite hymn?
(a) "Sing of Justice, Sing of Peace."
(b) "On the Battlefield for my Lord."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "Precious Lord, Take My Hand."
5. What record albums did Melba play for romantic daydreaming?
(a) Richie Valens and Little Richard.
(b) Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr.
(c) Elvis Presley and Sam Cooke.
(d) Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis.
6. Where was Melba instructed to go if anyone broke into their house?
(a) Memphis Avenue.
(b) Ninth Street.
(c) Neighbor's house.
(d) The church up the street.
7. What street was Central High School located on?
(a) Ninth Avenue.
(b) Park Street.
(c) Fifteenth Street.
(d) Main Street.
8. What kind of car did Vince own?
(a) Red and white Chevy.
(b) Black Chrysler.
(c) Green Oldsmobile.
(d) Silver Cadillac.
9. At age four, what did Melba do in her Indian Head tablet?
(b) Practice letters.
(c) Write in her journal.
(d) Draw pictures.
10. Who brought food to the Pattillos, saying "So's the white people won't catch you'all shopping and chop your heads off"?
(a) Mrs. Convers.
(b) Mrs. Floyd.
(c) Melba's father.
(d) Mrs. Beals.
11. What type of car did Melba's mother drive in 1957?
(a) White Ford.
(b) Green Pontiac.
(c) Blue Chrysler.
(d) Brown Chevy.
12. What was the popular name of the 101st Airborne Division?
(a) Fearless Hawks.
(b) Screaming Eagles.
(c) Fighting Squadron.
(d) Flying Tigers.
13. Who told Melba "a true warrior does not give up"?
(a) One of the other students.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
14. How many double-dates had Melba and Vince enjoyed with Grandma and Mr. Claxton at the wrestling matches?
15. Who spoke with a "quick New York accent overlying a slight Southern drawl"?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Dr. Lorch.
(c) Wiley Branton.
(d) Herbert Brownell, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Governor Faubus to a conference with the President?
2. According to the author what were most girls listening to in 1957?
3. Which prominent Little Rock official defies the governor's stance on opposing integration?
4. What does "amicus curiae" mean in "Warriors Don't Cry"?
5. What color was the hair of the Arkansas NAACP attorney?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)