• Melba Pattillo was born on Pearl Harbor Day in 1941.
• Her delivery was difficult and required forceps.
• Melba was critically ill as an infant due to an infection.
• Her mother learned from a janitor that the doctor ordered regular irrigation of her head with Epsom salts and warm water, but the nursing staff did not follow through.
• After the mother started the treatments, Melba improved.
• Melba grew up healthy, and her Grandmother stated that there was a reason her life was spared.
• In 1954, the Brown v. The Board of Education ruling ordered integration in public schools.
• Thirteen at the time, Melba's class was dismissed early with a warning to stay in groups.
• When Melba took a shortcut while daydreaming, a man in a car insisted on giving Melba a ride home.
• She refused, but he chased her.
• The man stated that African American children won't be going...
This section contains 2,713 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)