|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
2. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
3. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
4. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
5. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy was involved in the Crimean War and wrote about his experiences in Sevastapol Sketches. What do you think his view on war is based on War and Peace? Is there a character or characters who act as his mouthpiece? Who are they and how do they express his view? Be sure to reference particulars.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)