|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
2. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
3. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
4. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
5. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
2. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
3. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
4. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
5. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
6. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
7. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
8. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
9. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
10. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)