|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
2. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
3. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
4. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
5. What happens to Kutuzov after he sees the Tsar at Vilna?
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy uses many literary devices. Choose one from the following list and explore how he uses it throughout the story. Be sure to reference to defend your argument.
Foreshadowing, epiphany, juxtaposition, repetition of words, coincidence, conflict.
Essay Topic 2
In some dramatizations, the story of Nicholas, Sonya and Mary is greatly diminished or eliminated. Is their story important to the whole and if so why?
Essay Topic 3
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)