|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "King of Rome"?
2. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
3. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
4. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
5. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
2. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
3. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
4. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
5. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
6. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
7. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
8. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
9. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
10. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict is one of the literary devices that is evident throughout the book. Its very name deals with conflict. However, the conflict is not just between the Russians and the French. There is serious conflict in the "peace" parts. Choose a conflict that occurs in the "drawing room" scenes - be they between people, or within an individual. Describe how the conflict is first manifested and then discuss how it evolves in the story from beginning to end. Analyze how the characters handle this conflict and how it shapes the outcome of the book. Discuss how Tolstoy uses conflict to tell the story.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
Essay Topic 3
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)