|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
2. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
3. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
4. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
5. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
2. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
3. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
4. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
5. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
6. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
7. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
8. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
9. How does the old prince behave toward Mary after his last stroke?
10. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Is Andrew is reckless of his personal safety, or does he have delusions of grandeur? What motivates him at Borodino? Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of war and any role he might have in it. Explore his views about it and if they indicate that he is one or the other. Explore what leads up to Borodino and what follows in defending your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)