|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
2. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
3. Who is Count Rostopchin?
4. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
5. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
2. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
3. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
4. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
5. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
6. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
7. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
8. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
9. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
10. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)