|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
2. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
3. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
4. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
5. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
2. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
3. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
4. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
5. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
6. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
7. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
8. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
9. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
10. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story nearly as much narrative is devoted to combat as to society... or it may seem that way. Describe the juxtaposition of the two elements and their importance to the story. How is it or not? Why is it or not?
Essay Topic 2
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)