|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
2. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
3. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
4. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
5. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
2. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
3. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
4. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
5. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
6. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
7. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
8. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
9. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
10. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
Essay Topic 2
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)