|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "King of Rome"?
2. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
3. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
4. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
5. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
2. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
3. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
4. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
5. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
6. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
7. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
8. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
9. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
10. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Count Rostov is a very likable character throughout the book but like all the main characters, he undergoes change. What are the flaws in him that lead to how he is in the end and what brings about his change?
Essay Topic 3
Are Tolstoy's characters "black" and "white"? Choose two of the "worst" and two of the "best" and use them to argue whether he looks at them in such a way. For example, how does he describe Helene, Anatole, Dolokhov, Mary, Sonya, or Pierre? Despite their actions, does he see them as acting with malice aforethought, or are their actions motivated by good intentions? You may choose other characters in addition to or instead of the above.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)