|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
2. Who is the "King of Rome"?
3. What does Kutuzov ask Andrew to do after they speak of the old prince's death?
4. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
5. What has caused Helene's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
2. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
3. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
4. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
5. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
6. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
7. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
8. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
9. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
10. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tolstoy's use of minor characters as foils. How is their presence important? List some. What do they illuminate in the more important characters? How do we know they are foils? Are they catalysts in the change or do they merely act to illustrate the change? To write this essay, choose one of the three main characters and those involved mostly with that character and discuss this.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)