|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
2. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
3. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
4. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
5. Who is Count Rostopchin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
2. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
3. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
4. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
5. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
6. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
7. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
8. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
9. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
10. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Tolstoy's characters "black" and "white"? Choose two of the "worst" and two of the "best" and use them to argue whether he looks at them in such a way. For example, how does he describe Helene, Anatole, Dolokhov, Mary, Sonya, or Pierre? Despite their actions, does he see them as acting with malice aforethought, or are their actions motivated by good intentions? You may choose other characters in addition to or instead of the above.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)