|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
2. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
4. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
5. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
2. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
3. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
4. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
5. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
6. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
7. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
8. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
9. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
10. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)