|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
2. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
3. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
4. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
5. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
2. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
3. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
4. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
5. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
6. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
7. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
8. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
9. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
10. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
Essay Topic 3
In some dramatizations, the story of Nicholas, Sonya and Mary is greatly diminished or eliminated. Is their story important to the whole and if so why?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)