Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
2. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
3. What happens to Kutuzov after he sees the Tsar at Vilna?
4. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
5. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
Essay Topic 1
Conflict is one of the literary devices that is evident throughout the book. Its very name deals with conflict. However, the conflict is not just between the Russians and the French. There is serious conflict in the "peace" parts. Choose a conflict that occurs in the "drawing room" scenes - be they between people, or within an individual. Describe how the conflict is first manifested and then discuss how it evolves in the story from beginning to end. Analyze how the characters handle this conflict and how it shapes the outcome of the book. Discuss how Tolstoy uses conflict to tell the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
Essay Topic 3
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)