|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
2. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
3. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
4. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
5. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
2. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
3. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
4. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
5. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
6. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
7. How does the old prince behave toward Mary after his last stroke?
8. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
9. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
10. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some dramatizations, the story of Nicholas, Sonya and Mary is greatly diminished or eliminated. Is their story important to the whole and if so why?
Essay Topic 2
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tolstoy's use of minor characters as foils. How is their presence important? List some. What do they illuminate in the more important characters? How do we know they are foils? Are they catalysts in the change or do they merely act to illustrate the change? To write this essay, choose one of the three main characters and those involved mostly with that character and discuss this.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)