|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
2. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
3. What happens to Kutuzov after he sees the Tsar at Vilna?
4. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
5. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
Essay Topic 1
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
Essay Topic 3
In the story nearly as much narrative is devoted to combat as to society... or it may seem that way. Describe the juxtaposition of the two elements and their importance to the story. How is it or not? Why is it or not?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)