|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
2. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
3. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
4. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
5. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
Essay Topic 1
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
Essay Topic 3
Is Andrew is reckless of his personal safety, or does he have delusions of grandeur? What motivates him at Borodino? Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of war and any role he might have in it. Explore his views about it and if they indicate that he is one or the other. Explore what leads up to Borodino and what follows in defending your argument.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)