|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
2. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
4. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
5. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
2. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
3. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
4. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
5. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
6. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
7. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
8. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
9. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
10. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Andrew is reckless of his personal safety, or does he have delusions of grandeur? What motivates him at Borodino? Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of war and any role he might have in it. Explore his views about it and if they indicate that he is one or the other. Explore what leads up to Borodino and what follows in defending your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)