|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
2. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
3. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
4. Who is Ilagin?
5. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
2. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
3. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
4. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
5. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
6. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
7. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
8. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
9. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
10. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
Essay Topic 3
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)