|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
2. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
3. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
4. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
5. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
2. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
3. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
4. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
5. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
6. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
7. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
8. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
9. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
10. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
Essay Topic 3
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)