Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
2. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
2. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
3. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
4. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
5. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
6. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
7. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
8. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
9. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
10. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
Essay Topic 1
Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of War. Explore his views about it and explain how it carves his final attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Are Tolstoy's characters "black" and "white"? Choose two of the "worst" and two of the "best" and use them to argue whether he looks at them in such a way. For example, how does he describe Helene, Anatole, Dolokhov, Mary, Sonya, or Pierre? Despite their actions, does he see them as acting with malice aforethought, or are their actions motivated by good intentions? You may choose other characters in addition to or instead of the above.
Essay Topic 3
In some dramatizations, the story of Nicholas, Sonya and Mary is greatly diminished or eliminated. Is their story important to the whole and if so why?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)