|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
2. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
3. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
5. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
2. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
3. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
4. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
5. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
6. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
7. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
8. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
9. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
10. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)