|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
2. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
3. Who is Ilagin?
4. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
5. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
2. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
3. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
4. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
5. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
6. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
7. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
8. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
9. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
10. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
Essay Topic 2
Count Rostov is a very likable character throughout the book but like all the main characters, he undergoes change. What are the flaws in him that lead to how he is in the end and what brings about his change?
Essay Topic 3
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)