|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
2. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
3. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
4. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
5. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
2. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
3. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
4. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
5. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
6. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
7. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
8. How is Andrew like his father?
9. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
10. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
Essay Topic 2
In some dramatizations, the story of Nicholas, Sonya and Mary is greatly diminished or eliminated. Is their story important to the whole and if so why?
Essay Topic 3
Count Rostov is a very likable character throughout the book but like all the main characters, he undergoes change. What are the flaws in him that lead to how he is in the end and what brings about his change?
This section contains 1,881 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)