|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
2. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
3. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
4. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
5. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Andrew like his father?
2. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
3. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
4. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
5. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
6. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
7. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
8. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
9. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
10. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy uses many literary devices. Choose one from the following list and explore how he uses it throughout the story. Be sure to reference to defend your argument.
Foreshadowing, epiphany, juxtaposition, repetition of words, coincidence, conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)