|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
2. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
3. Who is Ilagin?
4. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
5. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
2. How is Andrew like his father?
3. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
4. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
5. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
6. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
7. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
8. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
9. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
10. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)