|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
2. Princess Mary wishes to speak to Andrew before he leaves about a specific request. What is it?
3. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
4. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
5. Who is Ilagin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
2. How is Andrew like his father?
3. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
4. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
5. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
6. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
7. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
8. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
9. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
10. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of War. Explore his views about it and explain how it carves his final attitude.
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Count Rostov and Countess Rostova are very different from Prince Bolkonski. Compare and contrast fully. What is of merit and the opposite in qualities of the three? Be sure to make references from throughout the book.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)