|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
2. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
3. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
4. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
5. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
2. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
3. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
4. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
5. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
6. How is Andrew like his father?
7. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
8. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
9. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
10. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Rostov is a very likable character throughout the book but like all the main characters, he undergoes change. What are the flaws in him that lead to how he is in the end and what brings about his change?
Essay Topic 2
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)