|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
2. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
3. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
4. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
5. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
2. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
3. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
4. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
5. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
6. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
7. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
8. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
9. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
10. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonya and Mary: Nicholas is drawn to them both. Why? Explore the differences between the two, how they change through the book and how Nicholas' viewpoint changes and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dolokhov's character. Is he a villain or heroic? Why/why not? Use examples through out the story to defend your point.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)