Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
2. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
2. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
3. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
4. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
5. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
6. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
7. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
8. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
9. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
10. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy uses many literary devices. Choose one from the following list and explore how he uses it throughout the story. Be sure to reference to defend your argument.
Foreshadowing, epiphany, juxtaposition, repetition of words, coincidence, conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Pierre to stay in Moscow? Explore his thinking leading up to it. How does Helene play a part in his actions, if she does at all?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)