|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
2. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
3. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
5. Who is Ilagin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
2. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
3. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
4. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
5. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
6. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
7. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
8. How is Andrew like his father?
9. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
10. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Prince Andrew's mental and emotional changes in the story. What brings about each change? How is each change important to the action following it? How does his experience at Austerlizt affect his homecoming and later meeting with Pierre? How do you think his changes affect those around him? Consider other important changes to his character in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tolstoy's use of minor characters as foils. How is their presence important? List some. What do they illuminate in the more important characters? How do we know they are foils? Are they catalysts in the change or do they merely act to illustrate the change? To write this essay, choose one of the three main characters and those involved mostly with that character and discuss this.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)