|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
3. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
4. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
5. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
2. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
3. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
4. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
5. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
6. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
7. How is Andrew like his father?
8. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
9. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
10. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natasha goes pretty quickly from grieving for Andrew to falling in love with Pierre. What does this say about her character? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Platon Karateev is a very simple man whose outlook on life deeply affects Pierre. Why is Pierre so drawn to him and what does he do and say that change Pierre's views and lead Pierre to a happier perspective on life?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)