|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
2. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
3. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
5. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
2. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
3. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
4. How is Andrew like his father?
5. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
6. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
7. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
8. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
9. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
10. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Sonya's character. Is she a generous person or is she selfish? How does Tolstoy change the reader's attitude about her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew's first visit with the Rostovs. What is the thing that symbolizes him and what happens to him during the visit and how does it relate to him? Describe the alteration from the beginning of the trip to the end and how the analogy with the object illustrates this.
Essay Topic 3
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)