|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
2. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
3. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
4. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
5. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
2. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
3. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
4. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
5. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
6. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
7. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
8. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
9. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
10. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Andrew is reckless of his personal safety, or does he have delusions of grandeur? What motivates him at Borodino? Prince Andrew reflects a great deal on the nature of war and any role he might have in it. Explore his views about it and if they indicate that he is one or the other. Explore what leads up to Borodino and what follows in defending your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In the story nearly as much narrative is devoted to combat as to society... or it may seem that way. Describe the juxtaposition of the two elements and their importance to the story. How is it or not? Why is it or not?
Essay Topic 3
Tolstoy frequently repeats descriptions of people and of their appearance and mannerisms. What is the effect of this on the reader? Is it important and if so why? Please use examples.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)