|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
(a) He gets into a fight with several looters.
(b) He attacks some French soldiers with his dagger.
(c) He rescues a small child and then a young woman.
(d) He gets into a dispute with some looting soldiers and is taken prisoner.
2. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
(a) What could have been and how her own folly ruined that.
(b) Her constantly telling him to sleep.
(c) Her telling him that he would get better.
(d) None of the above.
3. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
(a) To meet with the governor there with information from his commander.
(b) To get fresh ammunition for his regiment.
(c) To get new horses for his regiment.
(d) To find food and other equipment for his regiment.
4. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
(b) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
(c) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
(d) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
5. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
(a) He is embarrassed that this should cme up when they have dinner guests and flatly refuses to help him.
(b) He begs him not to speak of it with the Countess as she will be very upset.
(c) He says that Petya is so young, his mother's milk is not yet dry on his lips.
(d) He is sympathetic with his son's patriotism and goes to get a posting for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
2. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
3. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
4. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
5. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
2. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
3. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
4. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
5. How does the old prince behave toward Mary after his last stroke?
6. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
7. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
8. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
9. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
10. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)