|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(b) The count.
2. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
(b) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
(c) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(d) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
3. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(b) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
(c) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
(d) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
4. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
(a) Mary meets her and is delighted with how fashionable and charming she is.
(b) Mlle Bourienne greets her but is rude to her knowing that the old prince does not favor the engagement. Mary is very welcoming.
(c) Mary immediately dislikes her, while the prince refuses to see her.
(d) Mlle Bourienne greets her and says regretfully that the prince is indisposed and Mary is not at home.
5. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
(a) He is embarrassed that this should cme up when they have dinner guests and flatly refuses to help him.
(b) He is sympathetic with his son's patriotism and goes to get a posting for him.
(c) He says that Petya is so young, his mother's milk is not yet dry on his lips.
(d) He begs him not to speak of it with the Countess as she will be very upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
2. Boris is at a ball dancing with Helene at Vilna. Who arrives to speak with the tsar?
3. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
4. Who is Count Rostopchin?
5. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
2. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
3. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
4. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
5. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
6. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
7. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
8. How does the old prince behave toward Mary after his last stroke?
9. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
10. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)