|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He says he doesn't understand why Alexander has surrounded himself with Napoleon's personal enemies.
(c) He notes that he is sitting in the same room Alexander had been in four days before as if to indicate his (Napoleon's) superiority.
(d) He says that he will drive all of his enemies out and that they can go to Russia.
2. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
(b) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(c) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(d) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
3. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
(b) The regimental doctor.
(c) None of these.
4. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
(b) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
(d) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
5. Why does Kutuzov need to worry about his staff when the Tsar writes to rebuke him in early October?
(a) Some of his staff members are trying to discredit him to the Tsar.
(b) He has lost staff members, namely Prince Bagration and Barclay de Tolly.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Some of his staff members are more interested in glory than in preserving Russia and the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
2. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
3. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
4. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
5. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
2. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
3. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
4. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
5. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
6. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
7. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
8. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
9. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
10. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)