|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
(b) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(c) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
(d) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
2. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
(a) They are amused at his size but also impressed with the civilian who wants to see the war.
(b) They are annoyed at first but when they see his determination to continue, they are impressed.
(c) They are derisive and unpleasant about his presence.
(d) They laugh at him.
3. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
(a) No one really is terribly upset as he had made himself terribly unpopular for expressing his frank opinion of Barclay de Tolly.
(b) Not much is said because everyone is sad about the death of Kutaysov.
(c) As he is among three well-known and liked men who die in the same battle, he is mourned equally with them.
(d) Everyone is deeply grieved, as he has done so much for the war effort and all his troops loved him.
4. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
(b) Prince Bagration.
(c) Anatole Kuragin.
5. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(b) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(c) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
(d) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
2. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
3. What does Mary notice when she and Natasha meet with Pierre?
4. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
5. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)