|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
2. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
(a) Princess Mary.
(d) the old Prince.
3. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
(a) As he is among three well-known and liked men who die in the same battle, he is mourned equally with them.
(b) Everyone is deeply grieved, as he has done so much for the war effort and all his troops loved him.
(c) Not much is said because everyone is sad about the death of Kutaysov.
(d) No one really is terribly upset as he had made himself terribly unpopular for expressing his frank opinion of Barclay de Tolly.
4. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(b) None of the above.
(c) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(d) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
5. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(d) The count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
2. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
3. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
4. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
5. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
2. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
3. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
4. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
5. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
6. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
7. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
8. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
9. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
10. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)