|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
(b) Prince Bagration.
(d) Prince Andrew.
2. Shortly after Natasha's recovery from her illness, why does Pierre decide not to visit with the Rostovs anymore?
(a) He is angry of Natasha's continued love for Andrew when Andrew refuses to forgive her.
(b) He realizes that he is in love with Natasha and is made uncomfortable by her attentions to him.
(c) He becomes occupied in joining the army and cannot spend time with them.
(d) Countess Rostova tells him that Natasha is only happy when he is around.
3. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(c) No one.
(d) Dolokhov and Helene.
4. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
(b) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(c) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
(d) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
5. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
(a) A factory worker.
(d) Vereshchagin's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
2. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
3. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
4. Who is the "King of Rome"?
5. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
2. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
3. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
4. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
5. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
6. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
7. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
8. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
9. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
10. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)