|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas receive Mary when she comes to visit him, his mother and Sonya?
(a) He is moody and will not speak much with her.
(b) He is happy to see her and to tell her of his and Sonya's engagement.
(c) He is happy she has come to see his mother but is too busy to care otherwise.
(d) He is very happy to see her and hopes to renew their acquaintance.
2. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
(a) He has fever, is dying, and knows he won't survive the march.
(b) He is badly wounded and knows he won't survive the march.
(c) He is terrified of the French as their demeanor changes when they are given orders to leave.
(d) He has dysentery and is afraid of being left alone in Moscow.
3. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
(a) She is roused back into the world, but neglects her health and grows thinner.
(b) She is emotionally resentful but does what she can to help her mother.
(c) She is pulled back into life in both ways.
(d) She purely wants to be left alone.
4. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He says that he will drive all of his enemies out and that they can go to Russia.
(c) He says he doesn't understand why Alexander has surrounded himself with Napoleon's personal enemies.
(d) He notes that he is sitting in the same room Alexander had been in four days before as if to indicate his (Napoleon's) superiority.
5. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
(a) The old prince becomes convinced that he is a spy and makes him leave.
(b) The old prince is delighted at his coming and spends the entire evening talking mostly to him.
(c) The old prince becomes quite friendly with him but then gets upset when he pays attention to Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) As it is the old Prince's name day, he has so many visitors that he is unaware of his presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
2. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
3. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
4. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
5. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)