|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kutuzov need to worry about his staff when the Tsar writes to rebuke him in early October?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He has lost staff members, namely Prince Bagration and Barclay de Tolly.
(c) Some of his staff members are more interested in glory than in preserving Russia and the army.
(d) Some of his staff members are trying to discredit him to the Tsar.
2. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
(a) He is discussing Speranski and says that he has done more good for Russia than anyone else.
(b) He is discussing Kutuzov and that he has the interests of Russia foremost in his decisions.
(c) He is discussing Bagration and that he is extremely valuable in his position.
(d) He is discussing Speranski and how so much of what he did was not really useful.
3. How does Nicholas receive Mary when she comes to visit him, his mother and Sonya?
(a) He is very happy to see her and hopes to renew their acquaintance.
(b) He is happy to see her and to tell her of his and Sonya's engagement.
(c) He is moody and will not speak much with her.
(d) He is happy she has come to see his mother but is too busy to care otherwise.
4. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
(a) He looks very much like his father and also like his mother. He is a teenager with ideas of revolution.
(b) He looks exactly like his mother with her same desires for social interaction but also has some deep waters in him.
(c) He is like his grandfather in intelligence but has superficial tendencies.
(d) He is very much like his father in appearance and disposition. Pierre hopes he will lose his bitterness.
5. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(d) The count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
2. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
3. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
4. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
5. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
2. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
3. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
4. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
5. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
6. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
7. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
8. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
9. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
10. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)