|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(b) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(c) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
(d) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
2. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(b) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
(c) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
(d) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
3. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
(b) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(c) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(d) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
4. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
5. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
(a) He is frightened for the prisoners who are not strong enough to withstand such a march.
(b) He is upset at the treatment given to the prisoners and tries to fight the soldiers.
(c) He sees it as something he has to do and accepts it.
(d) He moves off by himself and begins to laugh in amazement at his situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
2. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
3. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
4. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
5. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
2. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
3. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
4. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
5. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
6. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
7. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
8. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
9. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
10. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)