|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
2. What does Kutuzov ask Andrew to do after they speak of the old prince's death?
(a) He wants him to go to the Tsar to explain to him Kutuzov's plans.
(b) He wants to send him to the frontline of battle.
(c) He wants him to stay with him on the staff.
(d) He wants to send him to act as intermediary with Arakcheev.
3. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) A hare.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A snail.
(d) A tortoise.
4. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
(b) A cousin of the count's.
(d) A looting officer.
5. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
(b) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(c) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(d) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
2. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
3. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
4. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
5. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
2. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
3. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
4. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
5. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
6. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
7. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
8. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
9. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
10. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)