|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
(b) None of the above.
(c) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(d) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
2. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
(b) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(c) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(d) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
3. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(b) The count.
4. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
5. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) Tikhon, the peasant.
(b) Ramballe, the soldier who went into Bazdeev's house, and his orderly.
(c) Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) The French corporal who had been nice to Pierre in Moscow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
2. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
3. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
4. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
5. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
2. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
3. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
4. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
5. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
6. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
7. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
8. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
9. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
10. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)