|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
(a) Mlle Bourienne greets her but is rude to her knowing that the old prince does not favor the engagement. Mary is very welcoming.
(b) Mlle Bourienne greets her and says regretfully that the prince is indisposed and Mary is not at home.
(c) Mary meets her and is delighted with how fashionable and charming she is.
(d) Mary immediately dislikes her, while the prince refuses to see her.
2. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(b) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
(c) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
(d) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
3. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) They are all leaving Moscow as quickly as they can.
(b) They go to a hospital.
(c) They ask to rest in the yards of the people leaving Moscow.
(d) Most go out of the city but a few go into the Rostovs' yard.
4. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
(a) While the family is getting ready to leave Moscow she agrees to write.
(b) When the family is in Troitsa after Natasha has begun to tend Andrew and his wounds.
(c) After she hears that Nicholas has met Mary and that he is drawn to her.
(d) She only writes to tell him how the family is in such financial straits.
5. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
(a) To find food and other equipment for his regiment.
(b) To meet with the governor there with information from his commander.
(c) To get new horses for his regiment.
(d) To get fresh ammunition for his regiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
2. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
3. What does Mary notice when she and Natasha meet with Pierre?
4. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
5. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
2. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
3. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
4. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
5. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
6. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
7. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
8. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
9. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
10. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)