|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
(c) All of the above.
2. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
(a) He says that he will drive all of his enemies out and that they can go to Russia.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He notes that he is sitting in the same room Alexander had been in four days before as if to indicate his (Napoleon's) superiority.
(d) He says he doesn't understand why Alexander has surrounded himself with Napoleon's personal enemies.
3. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
(a) He says he will be forever condemned by history if he negotiates peace with the French.
(b) He would like to negotiate to prevent further loss of life but thinks perhaps the time is not right and wants to wait until the French are in even more difficult straits.
(c) In a rare moment of fury, he tells Lauriston to get out and that he will never consider any sort of treaty with Napoleon.
(d) He wants to negotiate but he knows the Tsar will remove him from his position as commander-in-chief.
4. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
(b) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(c) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
(d) She is flattered and presses his hand.
5. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
(a) She only writes to tell him how the family is in such financial straits.
(b) While the family is getting ready to leave Moscow she agrees to write.
(c) When the family is in Troitsa after Natasha has begun to tend Andrew and his wounds.
(d) After she hears that Nicholas has met Mary and that he is drawn to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
2. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
3. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
4. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
5. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)