|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
(b) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
(c) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
(d) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
2. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
(a) He is shot in the head and falls from his horse.
(b) He is attacked by French soldiers and cut down with a saber.
(c) He obeys Denisov and tries to stay back.
(d) His horse stumbles on a coal and he falls, breaking his neck.
3. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
(a) She is roused back into the world, but neglects her health and grows thinner.
(b) She is pulled back into life in both ways.
(c) She purely wants to be left alone.
(d) She is emotionally resentful but does what she can to help her mother.
4. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Five months.
(d) Five days.
5. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
(a) He finds that now he has no reason to afraid, for as Platon has said, "Suffer an hour, live for an age!"
(b) When he is marching he is afraid of the French killing a prisoner who can't keep up but when he stops, he feels more secure.
(c) He is indifferent to either and just does what he must to survive.
(d) His feet hurt, but when he marches the pain leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings about the change in Andrew in Yaroslavl?
2. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
3. Who is Count Rostopchin?
4. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
5. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
2. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
3. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
4. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
5. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
6. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
7. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
8. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
9. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
10. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)