|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(c) No one.
(d) Dolokhov and Helene.
2. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
(a) Count Rostov is very protective of his daughter.
(b) Anatole is already married.
(c) Natasha's engagement to Prince Andrew.
(d) Marya Dmitrievna dislikes the Kuragins and tells Natasha that she will not allow them in her home.
3. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(b) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
(c) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
(d) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
4. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(b) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
(c) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(d) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
5. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
(a) He underestimated the strength of the Russian army and its ability to regroup.
(b) He should not have expected order from the inhabitants of Moscow
(c) His errors did not occur in Moscow; they began before Napoleon entered the city.
(d) He should have advanced on St. Petersburg and gathered up provisions for the winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
2. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
3. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
4. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
5. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
2. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
3. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
4. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
5. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
6. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
7. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
8. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
9. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
10. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)