|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(b) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(c) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(d) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
2. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
(a) He sleeps in his carriage.
(b) He goes to one of his nearby estates.
(c) He returns to Moscow that night.
(d) He sleeps in a field.
3. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(b) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
(c) She is flattered and presses his hand.
(d) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
4. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
(a) They are derisive and unpleasant about his presence.
(b) They are annoyed at first but when they see his determination to continue, they are impressed.
(c) They are amused at his size but also impressed with the civilian who wants to see the war.
(d) They laugh at him.
5. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
(a) A French deserting drummer boy.
(b) Tikhon, the Bolkonski's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
2. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
3. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
4. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
5. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
2. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
3. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
4. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
5. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
6. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
7. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
8. Berg goes to the Rostov's as they are packing up to leave Moscow. Why does he go there?
9. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
10. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)