|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boris is at a ball dancing with Helene at Vilna. Who arrives to speak with the tsar?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(c) None of the above.
2. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
(a) No one really is terribly upset as he had made himself terribly unpopular for expressing his frank opinion of Barclay de Tolly.
(b) Not much is said because everyone is sad about the death of Kutaysov.
(c) As he is among three well-known and liked men who die in the same battle, he is mourned equally with them.
(d) Everyone is deeply grieved, as he has done so much for the war effort and all his troops loved him.
3. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(b) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(c) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(d) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
4. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
5. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
(a) She is pulled back into life in both ways.
(b) She is roused back into the world, but neglects her health and grows thinner.
(c) She is emotionally resentful but does what she can to help her mother.
(d) She purely wants to be left alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
2. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
3. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
4. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
5. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
2. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
3. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
4. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
5. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
6. What happens between the Tsar and Kutuzov at Vilna after the last battle the Russians have with the French?
7. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
8. How does Pierre comfort Natasha after she tries to kill herself and how does she regard his words?
9. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
10. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)