|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the "King of Rome"?
(a) Barclay de Tolly.
(b) Napoleon's son.
2. How does Nicholas receive Mary when she comes to visit him, his mother and Sonya?
(a) He is happy to see her and to tell her of his and Sonya's engagement.
(b) He is very happy to see her and hopes to renew their acquaintance.
(c) He is moody and will not speak much with her.
(d) He is happy she has come to see his mother but is too busy to care otherwise.
3. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(b) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(c) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(d) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
4. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(b) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
(c) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
(d) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
5. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
(a) He is thinking about Natasha after a recent conversation with Mary which makes him irritable.
(b) He is thinking about how sad he is to leave Mary with his father.
(c) He is thinking about how he will find Anatole and punish him.
(d) He has no remorse for arguing with his father nor tender feeling for his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
2. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
3. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
4. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
5. What happens when Platon makes a shirt for a French officer and presents it to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
2. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
3. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
4. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
5. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
6. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
7. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
8. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
9. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
10. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)