|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
(b) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(c) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
(d) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
2. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
(b) All of the above.
3. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She is flattered and presses his hand.
(b) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(c) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
(d) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
4. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
(a) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave for Moscow.
(b) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo, but the peasants do not want them there.
(c) The peasants on the land riot and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
(d) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
5. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
(a) She is roused back into the world, but neglects her health and grows thinner.
(b) She is pulled back into life in both ways.
(c) She is emotionally resentful but does what she can to help her mother.
(d) She purely wants to be left alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
2. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
3. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
4. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
5. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
2. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
3. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
4. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
5. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
6. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
7. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
8. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
9. How does Helene resolve her dilemma over which of her two suitors she should marry?
10. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)