|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) Ramballe, the soldier who went into Bazdeev's house, and his orderly.
(c) Tikhon, the peasant.
(d) The French corporal who had been nice to Pierre in Moscow.
2. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
(b) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(c) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
(d) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
3. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
(a) Pierre's obvious liking for Natasha
(b) The Rostovs, namely Natasha's quick recovery.
(c) Pierre being ridiculous.
(d) The Rostovs' difficulty in selling their estate.
4. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
5. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
(b) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
(c) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(d) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
2. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
3. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
4. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
5. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
2. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
3. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
4. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
5. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
6. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
7. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
8. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
9. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
10. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)