|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(b) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(c) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
(d) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
2. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
(a) the old Prince.
(c) Princess Mary.
3. What brings about the change in Andrew in Yaroslavl?
(a) He gives up on the unpleasant struggle to live as his life has been so painful.
(b) His wound is not improving and infection has set in. He is frequently delirious.
(c) He has gangrene and it weakens him so much that he cannot fight it any longer.
(d) He dreams of trying to close a door on death and fails. He no longer fears death.
4. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
(b) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(c) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(d) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
5. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
(a) He is indifferent to either and just does what he must to survive.
(b) His feet hurt, but when he marches the pain leaves.
(c) He finds that now he has no reason to afraid, for as Platon has said, "Suffer an hour, live for an age!"
(d) When he is marching he is afraid of the French killing a prisoner who can't keep up but when he stops, he feels more secure.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
2. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
3. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
4. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
5. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
2. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
3. What happens to Pierre after he is taken prisoner by the French after meeting with Davout?
4. What is Tolstoy's view of Count Rostopchin's actions in Moscow immediately preceding the arrival of the French?
5. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
6. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
7. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
8. How does Sonya react to Natasha when she finds Anatole's letter to her?
9. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
10. Why does Andrew request a post in Turkey?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)