|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(b) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
(c) She is happy for her.
(d) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
2. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
(b) Prince Bagration.
(c) Anatole Kuragin.
3. After the end of the war, when does Pierre say he will go to St. Petersburg?
(a) He doesn't know if he'll go or not.
(b) He doesn't go.
(c) He go the day after he visits with Mary and Natasha.
(d) He will go in a few days.
4. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
(a) Prince Andrew has come back from abroad and invites Pierre to visit him in Moscow.
(b) He is depressed living with Helene and goes to Moscow to get away from her.
(c) His carousing behavior is embarrassing to Helene, so she asks him to leave.
(d) He goes there to attend to matters on his estate there.
5. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
(a) He states that it's easy to see that they are very confusing and could not be carried out.
(b) He states they are very well drawn up but that they could not be carried out as they should have been.
(c) He states that they are poorly done but the French were able to carry most of them out and win the battle.
(d) He states that due to Napoleon's genius, they are well drawn up and that they were carried out to the letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
2. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
3. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
4. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
5. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the French are marching with the prisoners, what does Pierre notice of himself when marching and when resting?
2. Why does Nicholas feel he cannot marry Mary?
3. Why do the French end up abandoning a city that was their emperor's goal in invading Russia?
4. In what state is Andrew when Natasha finds him traveling with her family out of Moscow, and what is his reaction to seeing her?
5. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
6. Why is Mary so unhappy when the Bolkonskis go to Moscow?
7. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
8. What does Napoleon say to Rapp about colds and medicine before the battle of Borodino?
9. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
10. Why does Natasha get so upset during her visit with the Bolkonskis?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)