|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(b) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(c) He is happy to hear news of victory.
(d) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
2. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
(b) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(c) She is known as a former great beauty.
(d) She is known for her horrible temper.
3. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(b) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
(c) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
(d) He reluctantly agrees.
4. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(b) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
(c) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(d) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
5. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is Oktoberfest.
(b) It is Natasha's birthday.
(c) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(d) It is the old Count's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
2. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
3. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
4. What engrosses Pierre after the duel?
5. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
2. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
3. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
4. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
5. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
6. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
7. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
8. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
9. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
10. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)