|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(b) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
2. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
(a) She was upset that he might have been killed.
(b) Pierre is a fool to believe that Dolokhov was her lover, she merely likes his company
(c) Pierre is a fool as she thinks Dolokhov is tiresome.
(d) She is angry that she will have to hold her head despite being embarrassed.
3. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(b) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(c) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(d) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
4. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
(a) He brags about his experience in the charge and the fact that everyone is very impressed with him, especially Prince Andrew.
(b) He gets drunk with Boris and Berg and enjoys himself immensely.
(c) He begins to brag about his action during Schon Graben and is cut short by Andrew who notices that he is bragging.
(d) He is amazed at the changes in Boris and wishes to work on the staff as Boris does, planning to use a letter that will help him.
5. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(b) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
(c) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(d) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
2. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
3. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
4. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
5. What engrosses Pierre after the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
2. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
3. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
4. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
5. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
6. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
7. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
8. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
9. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
10. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)