|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
(b) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
(c) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
(d) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
2. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(b) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(c) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
(d) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
3. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) A border between one army and another.
(b) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
(c) A portion of a fence.
(d) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
4. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(b) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(c) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
(d) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(b) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(c) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(d) He needs an adjutant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
2. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
3. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
4. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
5. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Davout so rude to Balashev when he goes to meet with Napoleon?
2. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
3. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
4. What does Tolstoy say changes in the nature of war when the French move from Smolensk to Moscow?
5. While Moscow is being abandoned, what is everyone in St. Petersburg saying about Helene?
6. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
7. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
8. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
9. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
10. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)