Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(c) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(d) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
2. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(b) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(c) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
(d) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
(d) His love for Natasha.
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(b) She waits for Boris to follow her.
(c) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
(d) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
(b) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(c) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(d) He wants her to be brilliant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
2. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
3. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
4. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
5. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
2. What change does Pierre notice in the French soldiers guarding him and other prisoners when they are leaving Moscow and how does he regard it?
3. How does Tolstoy view the war and its causes?
4. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
5. How does Pierre and Andrew's meeting before the battle of Borodino go?
6. How does Princess Mary react to Nicholas when he enters Andrew's home at Bogucharovo and how does he react to her?
7. Why is Kutuzov at odds with his generals while they are waiting for the French to leave Moscow?
8. How does Tolstoy view the causes of historical events (this is described while the French are in Moscow and the Russians are waiting in Tarútino for a good opportunity to attack)?
9. Where does Pierre go after Borodino and how has he reacted to the battle?
10. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)