|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(d) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
2. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She is happy and excited.
(c) She is annoyed.
(d) She is indifferent.
3. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
(a) The French are firing at them.
(b) They want to burn the bridge before the French get to it.
(c) They all want to get across to get their tea.
(d) They are trying to isolate the French so that the Austrian army will have them cornered.
4. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Angry and hostile to everyone.
(b) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
(c) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(d) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
5. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(b) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
(c) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(d) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
2. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
4. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
5. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
2. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
3. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
4. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
5. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
6. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
7. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
8. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
9. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
10. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)