|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Never marry.
(b) Marry a wealthy woman.
(c) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(d) Join the army.
2. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
(a) He is in awe of him and feels he would do anything for him.
(b) He is unhappy that the Tsar has involved Russia in this war which does not concern them.
(c) He is struck by how young the Tsar is and wonders if he is up to his position.
(d) He is happy to see him but is fearful about the coming action.
3. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) Emperor Francis
(b) General Mack.
(c) Prince Bagration.
(d) Napoleon Buonaparte.
4. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(b) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(c) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
(d) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
5. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
(a) "Shall we play again tomorrow?"
(b) "Your luck is astounding."
(c) "Unlucky at cards, lucky in love."
(d) "You have won, but I have won something much more important!"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
2. Who is Ilagin?
3. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
4. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
5. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
2. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
3. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
4. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
5. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
6. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
7. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
8. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
9. How is Andrew like his father?
10. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)