|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(b) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(c) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
(d) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
2. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(b) He wants her to be brilliant.
(c) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
(d) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
3. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
(a) Natasha want to marry Boris but the countess is wants to se if he's serious.
(b) They talk about Pierre and Boris and how Boris would be a good match for Natasha.
(c) Natasha compares people with colors and things and the countess tells her to go to bed.
(d) They talk about Boris, marriage, and the fact that Boris would not be a good match for Natasha.
4. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
(a) He gets drunk with Boris and Berg and enjoys himself immensely.
(b) He begins to brag about his action during Schon Graben and is cut short by Andrew who notices that he is bragging.
(c) He is amazed at the changes in Boris and wishes to work on the staff as Boris does, planning to use a letter that will help him.
(d) He brags about his experience in the charge and the fact that everyone is very impressed with him, especially Prince Andrew.
5. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
(a) They are trying to isolate the French so that the Austrian army will have them cornered.
(b) They want to burn the bridge before the French get to it.
(c) They all want to get across to get their tea.
(d) The French are firing at them.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
2. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
3. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
4. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
5. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
2. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
3. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
4. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
5. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
6. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
7. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
8. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
9. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
10. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)