|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
(a) Prince Hippolyte Kuragin.
(b) General Schmidt.
(d) The Emperor Francis.
2. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
(b) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(c) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(d) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
3. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
(a) She is regarded as extremely intelligent and socially adept.
(b) She is regarded as very wealthy but very plain.
(c) She is regarded as ugly and not particularly pleasant, but rich.
(d) She is regarded as very beautiful which makes up for her moderate fortune.
4. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(d) Helene Bezukhova.
5. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her great aunt.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
2. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
3. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
4. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
5. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
2. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
3. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
4. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
5. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
6. How is Andrew like his father?
7. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
8. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
9. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
10. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)