|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(b) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(c) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(d) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
2. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(b) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(c) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
(d) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
3. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(b) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(c) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(d) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
4. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(b) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(c) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(d) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
5. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The mazurka.
(b) The waltz.
(c) The minuet.
(d) The twist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
2. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
3. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
5. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
2. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
3. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
4. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
5. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
6. How does Pierre end up engaged to Helene?
7. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
8. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
9. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
10. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)