|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
(a) He is neither pleased nor displeased with them and pays the call merely out of courtesy.
(b) He is bored by them and has little in common with them.
(c) He enjoys himself, finds them charming, and Natasha's singing moves him nearly to tears.
(d) He enjoys himself very much but finds them to be too provincial.
2. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
(a) At Ilagin's insistence, she reluctantly sings while he plays guitar.
(b) She loves his playing the guitar and dances for them.
(c) She is unhappy with the rustic nature of Ilagin's house and wants to go home.
(d) She is weary from hunting and falls asleep.
3. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he cheats at cards.
(b) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(c) That he is abusive to his father.
(d) That he is a womanizer.
4. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
(a) That Catiche and her sisters should inherit most as they have cared for the Count.
(b) Whether or not Anna should go to see the Count.
(c) The fact that none of them want Pierre to inherit if they don't inherit from the Count.
(d) The need for the letter requesting Pierre's legitimacy to be found in his papers along with a new will making Pierre sole heir.
5. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(b) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(c) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(d) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
2. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
3. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
4. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
5. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
2. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
3. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
4. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
5. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
6. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
7. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
8. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
9. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
10. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)