|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known for her horrible temper.
(b) She is known as a former great beauty.
(c) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(d) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
2. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(b) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(c) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(d) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
3. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(d) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
4. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(b) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
(c) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(d) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
5. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
(a) She tells her to sit down and be quiet.
(b) She tells her she is having carrot ice for dessert and laughs at her.
(c) She severely rebukes her for being so rude.
(d) She doesn't hear her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
2. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
3. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
4. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
5. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
2. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
3. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
4. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
5. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
6. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
7. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
8. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
9. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
10. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)