|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
(a) They talk about Pierre and Boris and how Boris would be a good match for Natasha.
(b) They talk about Boris, marriage, and the fact that Boris would not be a good match for Natasha.
(c) Natasha want to marry Boris but the countess is wants to se if he's serious.
(d) Natasha compares people with colors and things and the countess tells her to go to bed.
2. Princess Mary wishes to speak to Andrew before he leaves about a specific request. What is it?
(a) She asks him to forgive his wife.
(b) She wants him to carry an icon around his neck to protect him in battle.
(c) She wants him to help her get away from their father.
(d) She asks him to accept Mlle. Bourienne as her friend.
3. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(b) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(c) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(d) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
4. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
(a) Sonya, Natasha, and Petya.
(c) No one - he goes on it alone.
(d) Natasha and Petya.
5. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
(a) She is regarded as ugly and not particularly pleasant, but rich.
(b) She is regarded as extremely intelligent and socially adept.
(c) She is regarded as very beautiful which makes up for her moderate fortune.
(d) She is regarded as very wealthy but very plain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
2. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
3. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
4. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
5. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
2. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
3. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
4. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
5. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
6. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
7. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
8. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
9. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
10. How is Andrew like his father?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)