|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
(d) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
2. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
(a) He goes home and stays in isolation for a week.
(b) He goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo.
(c) He leaves for St. Petersburg.
(d) He goes to his estates in Kiev.
3. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(b) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
(c) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(d) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
4. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
(b) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
(c) He attacks them immediately.
(d) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
5. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
(b) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
(c) She is an interfering woman.
(d) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
2. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
3. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
4. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
5. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
2. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
3. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
4. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
5. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
6. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
7. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
8. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
9. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
10. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)