|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
(a) Boris Drubetskoy.
(b) Hippolyte Kuragin.
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(b) His love for Natasha.
(c) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(d) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
3. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he cheats at cards.
(b) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(c) That he is abusive to his father.
(d) That he is a womanizer.
4. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He attacks them immediately.
(b) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
(c) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
(d) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
5. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(b) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(c) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
(d) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
2. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
3. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
4. Who is Ilagin?
5. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
2. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
3. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
4. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
5. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
6. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
7. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
8. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
9. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
10. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)