|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(b) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(c) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(d) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
2. Princess Mary wishes to speak to Andrew before he leaves about a specific request. What is it?
(a) She wants him to carry an icon around his neck to protect him in battle.
(b) She asks him to forgive his wife.
(c) She asks him to accept Mlle. Bourienne as her friend.
(d) She wants him to help her get away from their father.
3. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
(b) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
(c) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(d) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
4. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
(a) An abandoned hut.
(b) An oak which has not yet leafed out.
(c) Dead trees.
(d) An animal carcass.
5. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(b) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(c) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(d) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
2. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
3. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
4. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
5. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
2. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
3. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
4. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
5. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
6. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
7. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
8. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
9. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
10. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)