|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
(a) Natasha want to marry Boris but the countess is wants to se if he's serious.
(b) Natasha compares people with colors and things and the countess tells her to go to bed.
(c) They talk about Pierre and Boris and how Boris would be a good match for Natasha.
(d) They talk about Boris, marriage, and the fact that Boris would not be a good match for Natasha.
2. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
(b) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(c) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
(d) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
3. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He attacks them immediately.
(b) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
(c) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
(d) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
4. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
(b) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
(c) He accepts it as something that must happen.
(d) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
5. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
(a) He is terrified that he may be shot and wishes he had not been given this duty.
(b) Various disconnected thoughts as he struggles not to fall asleep.
(c) He is excited about the prospect of being in combat and perhaps distinguishing himself for the Tsar.
(d) He is in a foul temper as he is cold, hungry, and is missing the comforts of home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
2. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
3. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
4. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
5. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
2. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
3. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
4. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
5. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
6. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
7. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
8. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
9. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
10. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)