|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
(a) He is bored and disinterested and as his time with them goes on, he looks forward to returning home, and getting away from such superficial living.
(b) At first he is unhappy and disinterested but Natasha's happiness piques his curiosity and later he is intrigued by her admiring the moon.
(c) He is bored but Natasha's youthful exuberance intrigues him and though he would like to join in, he realizes shortly after his departure that his life is over forever.
(d) At first he looks forward to diversion from things which depress him, but then he sees that their life is too busy and filled with too many foolish people that he welcomes leaving.
2. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(b) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
(c) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(d) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
3. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
(b) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(c) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(d) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
4. What engrosses Pierre after the duel?
(a) Why did he challenge Dolokhov over such a silly thing as taking a paper from him?
(b) What is bad or good?; What should one love or hate?; What does one live for?; What are life and death?
(c) Why did he challenge Dolokhov when he is such a good friend to Pierre?
(d) Why did he challenge Dolokhov and violate his wife's trust in him?
5. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(b) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(c) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(d) He's been caught with the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
2. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
3. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
4. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
5. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
2. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
3. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
4. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
5. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
6. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
7. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
8. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
9. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
10. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)