|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
(b) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
(c) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
(d) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
2. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) A border between one army and another.
(b) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
(c) A portion of a fence.
(d) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
3. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(b) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(c) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(d) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
4. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(b) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(c) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(d) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
5. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Marry a wealthy woman.
(b) Never marry.
(c) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(d) Join the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
2. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
3. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
4. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
5. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
2. What happens to Nicholas when he and his regiment attack the French at Ostróvna?
3. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
4. What strange aspect do readers see in Dolokhov in the chapters following the duel?
5. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
6. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
7. What has happened to Pierre to change Natasha's view about him?
8. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
9. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
10. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)