|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
(b) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
(c) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(d) She waits for Boris to follow her.
2. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(b) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(c) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
(d) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
3. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(b) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(c) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(d) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
4. Who is Ilagin?
(a) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
(c) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(d) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
5. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
(b) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(c) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(d) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
3. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
5. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
2. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
3. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
4. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
5. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
6. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
7. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
8. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
9. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
10. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)