|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(a) Helene Bezukhova.
2. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(c) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
(d) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
3. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he is a womanizer.
(b) That he cheats at cards.
(c) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(d) That he is abusive to his father.
4. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
(b) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(c) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
(d) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
5. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
(b) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
(c) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
(d) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
2. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
3. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
4. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
5. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierre follow up with his attempts at self-purification and how does he view his fellow Masons?
2. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
3. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
4. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
5. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
6. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
7. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
8. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
9. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
10. What leads Pierre to challenge Dolokhov to a duel?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)