|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(b) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(c) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
(d) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
2. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
(a) He wants Pierre to marry his daughter, Helene.
(b) He is merely doing what he thinks is the right thing; he hopes for nothing.
(c) He wants to elevate himself and his family in Russian society.
(d) He hopes Pierre will look upon him as his father and give him money to pay his debts.
3. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
(b) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
(c) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(d) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
4. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
(c) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
(d) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
5. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(b) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(c) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
(d) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
2. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
3. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
5. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
2. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
3. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
4. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
5. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
6. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
7. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
8. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
9. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
10. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)