|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
(a) He throws it away after finishing it.
(b) He thinks Bilibin is a fool and that his cavalier attitude does no one any good.
(c) He throws it away without opening it.
(d) He is distracted from what is bothering him at home.
2. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(b) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(c) He's been caught with the money.
(d) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
3. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
(a) He enjoys himself very much but finds them to be too provincial.
(b) He enjoys himself, finds them charming, and Natasha's singing moves him nearly to tears.
(c) He is bored by them and has little in common with them.
(d) He is neither pleased nor displeased with them and pays the call merely out of courtesy.
4. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
(b) Boris Drubetskoy.
(d) Captain Tushin.
5. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
(a) Dead trees.
(b) An abandoned hut.
(c) An oak which has not yet leafed out.
(d) An animal carcass.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
2. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
3. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
4. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
2. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
3. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
4. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
5. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
6. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
7. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
8. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
9. Why does Nicholas feel troubled on seeing the Tsar with Napoleon?
10. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)