|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(b) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
(c) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
(d) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
2. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(b) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(c) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(d) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
3. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(b) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
(c) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(d) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
4. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(b) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(c) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
(d) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
5. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(b) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(c) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
2. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
3. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
4. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
5. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Andrew and his family react to Pierre's surprise visit to Bogucharovo?
2. How is Andrew like his father?
3. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
4. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
5. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
6. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
7. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
8. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
9. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
10. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)