|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(b) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(c) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
(d) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
2. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
(b) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(c) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(d) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
3. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
(b) A portion of a fence.
(c) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
(d) A border between one army and another.
4. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(b) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(c) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(d) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
5. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) His love for Natasha.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(d) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
2. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
3. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
4. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
5. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
2. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
3. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
4. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
5. What does Andrew think about after he is wounded?
6. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
7. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
8. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
9. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
10. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)