|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The mazurka.
(b) The minuet.
(c) The twist.
(d) The waltz.
2. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
(c) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
(d) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
3. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
(a) He runs yelling "Forward, lads!", picks up the fallen standard, and is shot in the head.
(b) He sees the Tsar and requests him to leave the field of battle.
(c) He sees Kutuzov has a head wound and takes him to be treated.
(d) He rides alongside the retreating army ordering them to turn back.
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(b) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(c) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(d) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
5. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(c) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(d) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
2. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
3. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
4. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
5. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
2. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
3. What does Pierre's steward think when Pierre goes to his estates and recommends reforms?
4. Dolokhov was last seen at Austerlitz talking back to a superior officer. What has happened since that time?
5. Why is Pierre so unconcerned for his future?
6. Why is Nicholas so keen on sighting the wolf before anyone else?
7. Dolokhov wants to beat Rostov at cards and sets a monetary number for himself. What is this number and how and why does he arrive at it?
8. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
9. What makes Nicholas decide to go home on leave just after Natasha's engagement?
10. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)