|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Marry a wealthy woman.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Never marry.
(d) Study etiquette and the social graces.
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(d) His love for Natasha.
3. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
(a) General Schmidt.
(b) Prince Hippolyte Kuragin.
(d) The Emperor Francis.
4. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
(a) He thinks Bilibin is a fool and that his cavalier attitude does no one any good.
(b) He throws it away after finishing it.
(c) He throws it away without opening it.
(d) He is distracted from what is bothering him at home.
5. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
(a) He is happy to see him but is fearful about the coming action.
(b) He is unhappy that the Tsar has involved Russia in this war which does not concern them.
(c) He is struck by how young the Tsar is and wonders if he is up to his position.
(d) He is in awe of him and feels he would do anything for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
2. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
3. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
4. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
2. What happens when Boris frequently visits the Rostovs and Natasha in particular?
3. Why does Kutuzov not push his troops into combat?
4. Why do the three princesses living at Count Bezukhov's treat Pierre so badly?
5. How does Andrew react to his trip to Brunn?
6. What happens between Bazdeev and Pierre at the post station?
7. What are the obvious differences between Prince Andrew and Pierre that is illustrated at the start of the story?
8. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
9. Why does the old Prince insist that Andrew delay his marriage for a year?
10. Prince Vasili is described in the beginning at Anna Pavlovna's soiree. What is Prince Vasili's most notable characteristic at this point in the story.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)