|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(b) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
(c) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
(d) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
2. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is afraid.
(c) She is happy and excited.
(d) She is annoyed.
3. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
(a) Dolokhov wins 43,000 Rubles.
(b) Nicholas wins 43,000 rubles.
(c) Nicholas wins 4,300 rubles.
(d) Dolokhov wins 800,000 Rubles.
4. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(b) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(c) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(d) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
5. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
(b) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
(c) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(d) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
2. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
3. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
4. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
5. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old prince react to Lise's death and why?
2. What happens with Andrew at the war council and what leads up to it?
3. When Nicholas goes to Olmutz to see Boris why does he get into an argument with Prince Andrew?
4. What goes through Andrew's mind during the New Years Eve ball?
5. What does Nicholas do that gets him in trouble with his superior officers?
6. How do Mary and Natasha overcome their grief?
7. Why is Tushin called in to speak to Bagration and what is the result of his interview?
8. What happens with Pierre after the reading of the Tsar's letter asking for money, serfs and equipment?
9. How has Prince Andrew changed by being involved in the war instead of St. Petersburg society? Why did this change occur?
10. Why is Anna Mikhaylovna so eager to help Pierre?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)