Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
(b) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
(c) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
(d) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
2. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
(a) The old prince becomes quite friendly with him but then gets upset when he pays attention to Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) The old prince is delighted at his coming and spends the entire evening talking mostly to him.
(c) As it is the old Prince's name day, he has so many visitors that he is unaware of his presence.
(d) The old prince becomes convinced that he is a spy and makes him leave.
3. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
(a) He is unusually angry that the Tsar and his staff have not had faith in him.
(b) He is pleased but still worried about upcoming battles.
(c) He thanks God and weeps.
(d) He has expected it all along.
4. After the end of the war, when does Pierre say he will go to St. Petersburg?
(a) He doesn't know if he'll go or not.
(b) He doesn't go.
(c) He will go in a few days.
(d) He go the day after he visits with Mary and Natasha.
5. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
(a) They are successful at engaging the French but once the Cossacks take prisoners and collect valuable booty, they won't continue the fight.
(b) They arrive where the French are supposed to be but the entire army has joined them and the count looses most of his Cossacks.
(c) They fail to surprise the French as the informer is an impostor who has led them into a trap.
(d) They engage the French and smash up the division separated from the rest of the French army.
6. Who is Count Rostopchin?
(a) A general under Kutuzov sent to keep order in Moscow as the French advance.
(b) The governor of Moscow.
(c) A busybody who throws his weight around.
(d) A court official appointed by Alexander to get the aristocracy out of Moscow.
7. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(b) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(c) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(d) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
8. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
(a) He says he will be forever condemned by history if he negotiates peace with the French.
(b) He would like to negotiate to prevent further loss of life but thinks perhaps the time is not right and wants to wait until the French are in even more difficult straits.
(c) In a rare moment of fury, he tells Lauriston to get out and that he will never consider any sort of treaty with Napoleon.
(d) He wants to negotiate but he knows the Tsar will remove him from his position as commander-in-chief.
9. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
(a) He is indifferent to her appearance.
(b) He is angry that she has intruded on him.
(c) He had just awoken when he sees her and is irritated and confused.
(d) He is very happy to see her.
10. How does Nicholas receive Mary when she comes to visit him, his mother and Sonya?
(a) He is moody and will not speak much with her.
(b) He is happy she has come to see his mother but is too busy to care otherwise.
(c) He is very happy to see her and hopes to renew their acquaintance.
(d) He is happy to see her and to tell her of his and Sonya's engagement.
11. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(b) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(c) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
(d) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
12. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
(a) Mary meets her and is delighted with how fashionable and charming she is.
(b) Mary immediately dislikes her, while the prince refuses to see her.
(c) Mlle Bourienne greets her but is rude to her knowing that the old prince does not favor the engagement. Mary is very welcoming.
(d) Mlle Bourienne greets her and says regretfully that the prince is indisposed and Mary is not at home.
13. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) None of the above.
(b) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
(c) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(d) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
14. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) A hare.
(b) A snail.
(c) A tortoise.
(d) None of the above.
15. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
(a) He is like his grandfather in intelligence but has superficial tendencies.
(b) He is very much like his father in appearance and disposition. Pierre hopes he will lose his bitterness.
(c) He looks exactly like his mother with her same desires for social interaction but also has some deep waters in him.
(d) He looks very much like his father and also like his mother. He is a teenager with ideas of revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
2. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
3. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
4. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
5. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)