|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
(b) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
(c) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
(d) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
2. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A hare.
(c) A snail.
(d) A tortoise.
3. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
(a) In a rare moment of fury, he tells Lauriston to get out and that he will never consider any sort of treaty with Napoleon.
(b) He wants to negotiate but he knows the Tsar will remove him from his position as commander-in-chief.
(c) He would like to negotiate to prevent further loss of life but thinks perhaps the time is not right and wants to wait until the French are in even more difficult straits.
(d) He says he will be forever condemned by history if he negotiates peace with the French.
4. After the end of the war, when does Pierre say he will go to St. Petersburg?
(a) He doesn't know if he'll go or not.
(b) He will go in a few days.
(c) He doesn't go.
(d) He go the day after he visits with Mary and Natasha.
5. Who is Count Rostopchin?
(a) The governor of Moscow.
(b) A busybody who throws his weight around.
(c) A court official appointed by Alexander to get the aristocracy out of Moscow.
(d) A general under Kutuzov sent to keep order in Moscow as the French advance.
6. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
(a) The old prince is delighted at his coming and spends the entire evening talking mostly to him.
(b) As it is the old Prince's name day, he has so many visitors that he is unaware of his presence.
(c) The old prince becomes quite friendly with him but then gets upset when he pays attention to Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) The old prince becomes convinced that he is a spy and makes him leave.
7. What does Mary notice when she and Natasha meet with Pierre?
(a) She is irritated at Natasha for showing such obvious affection for him.
(b) She is amazed at the change in him and notices that Natasha is, too.
(c) She sees that Natasha speaks about Andrew in a way she never has before.
(d) She is struck by the change in Pierre.
8. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
(a) He should not have expected order from the inhabitants of Moscow
(b) He should have advanced on St. Petersburg and gathered up provisions for the winter.
(c) His errors did not occur in Moscow; they began before Napoleon entered the city.
(d) He underestimated the strength of the Russian army and its ability to regroup.
9. Boris is at a ball dancing with Helene at Vilna. Who arrives to speak with the tsar?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(b) None of the above.
10. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
(a) She is in deep mourning for her father and is also conflicted about him.
(b) She is ashamed of the temptation that he causes her to feel.
(c) She is aware of his shameless flirtations with married women.
(d) She is in deep mourning for her father.
11. Why does Kutuzov need to worry about his staff when the Tsar writes to rebuke him in early October?
(a) He has lost staff members, namely Prince Bagration and Barclay de Tolly.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Some of his staff members are trying to discredit him to the Tsar.
(d) Some of his staff members are more interested in glory than in preserving Russia and the army.
12. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
(a) A looting officer.
(c) A cousin of the count's.
13. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
(a) They don't explain anything, but merely tell him they will abide by his request.
(b) They do not communicate with him, they just do it.
(c) They send an envelope with a blank piece of paper in it.
(d) They detail the plan heavily hoping that he will appreciate their military genius.
14. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
(a) He returns to Moscow that night.
(b) He goes to one of his nearby estates.
(c) He sleeps in his carriage.
(d) He sleeps in a field.
15. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(b) No one.
(c) Dolokhov and Helene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
2. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
3. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
4. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
5. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)