|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
(c) A cousin of the count's.
(d) A looting officer.
2. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
(b) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
(d) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
3. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
(b) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
(c) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
(d) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
4. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
(c) Prince Bagration.
(d) Prince Andrew.
5. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
(a) They are confused and wonder what the bells mean.
(b) They are disturbed because they do not know the bells are ringing for vespers.
(c) They are pleased to hear them and think that services are still being held even though the city has been conquered.
(d) They are joyful at such a pleasant sound thinking that the Russians are welcoming them.
6. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
(a) He rescues a small child and then a young woman.
(b) He gets into a fight with several looters.
(c) He gets into a dispute with some looting soldiers and is taken prisoner.
(d) He attacks some French soldiers with his dagger.
7. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
(a) He has expected it all along.
(b) He thanks God and weeps.
(c) He is unusually angry that the Tsar and his staff have not had faith in him.
(d) He is pleased but still worried about upcoming battles.
8. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
(a) The French begin firing toward them and all are killed.
(b) They are very close together. Andrew goes to break them up but is hit by grapeshot.
(c) They are about to charge the French but Andrew is killed by a cannon ball.
(d) A shell flies near them and Andrew is hit.
9. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
(a) She is ashamed of the temptation that he causes her to feel.
(b) She is in deep mourning for her father.
(c) She is in deep mourning for her father and is also conflicted about him.
(d) She is aware of his shameless flirtations with married women.
10. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A hare.
(c) A tortoise.
(d) A snail.
11. Why does Kutuzov need to worry about his staff when the Tsar writes to rebuke him in early October?
(a) Some of his staff members are trying to discredit him to the Tsar.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Some of his staff members are more interested in glory than in preserving Russia and the army.
(d) He has lost staff members, namely Prince Bagration and Barclay de Tolly.
12. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
(a) Anatole Kuragin.
(d) Prince Bagration.
13. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
(a) He is a man who means well and is generally kind.
(b) He is a dutiful servant of the Tsar's.
(c) He is a very cruel man who has no regard for anyone.
(d) He is a bit brutal with a close eye on how people perceive his actions.
14. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
(a) She has no thought for the future.
(b) She sees her living with her as a sister.
(c) She sees her marrying Pierre.
(d) She sees her marrying Nicholas.
15. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(b) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
(c) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(d) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
2. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
3. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
4. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
5. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)