|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
(c) Prince Andrew.
(d) Prince Bagration.
2. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
(a) As it is the old Prince's name day, he has so many visitors that he is unaware of his presence.
(b) The old prince becomes convinced that he is a spy and makes him leave.
(c) The old prince is delighted at his coming and spends the entire evening talking mostly to him.
(d) The old prince becomes quite friendly with him but then gets upset when he pays attention to Mlle. Bourienne.
3. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
(c) the old Prince.
(d) Princess Mary.
4. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
(b) The regimental doctor.
(c) None of these.
5. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Five days.
6. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
(b) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
(c) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
7. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
(a) They are amused at his size but also impressed with the civilian who wants to see the war.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They are derisive and unpleasant about his presence.
(d) They are annoyed at first but when they see his determination to continue, they are impressed.
8. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(b) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(c) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
(d) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
9. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(b) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
(c) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(d) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
10. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
(b) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
(c) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
(d) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
11. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(b) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
(c) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(d) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
12. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A snail.
(c) None of the above.
(d) A hare.
13. What has caused Helene's illness?
(a) She has angina pectoris.
(b) She has taken too much of a certain drug.
(c) The "inconvenience" of having married two men.
(d) She has contracted an illness from her reckless behavior with men.
14. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna dislikes the Kuragins and tells Natasha that she will not allow them in her home.
(b) Anatole is already married.
(c) Count Rostov is very protective of his daughter.
(d) Natasha's engagement to Prince Andrew.
15. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
2. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
3. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
4. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
5. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)