|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
(a) Tikhon, the Bolkonski's servant.
(c) A French deserting drummer boy.
2. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
(a) She is emotionally resentful but does what she can to help her mother.
(b) She purely wants to be left alone.
(c) She is pulled back into life in both ways.
(d) She is roused back into the world, but neglects her health and grows thinner.
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
(a) He shouts at her.
(b) He loudly refuses to see her.
(c) He is out discussing political reform at the time.
(d) He is unexpectedly very pleasant, but tells her he will not change his mind about Andrew's wedding.
4. Who is the "King of Rome"?
(c) Napoleon's son.
(d) Barclay de Tolly.
5. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
(a) A shell flies near them and Andrew is hit.
(b) They are very close together. Andrew goes to break them up but is hit by grapeshot.
(c) They are about to charge the French but Andrew is killed by a cannon ball.
(d) The French begin firing toward them and all are killed.
6. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
(a) She is her former cheerful self.
(b) She is bitter and full of self loathing.
(c) She is melancholy and idle.
(d) She is serious and reflective.
7. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
(b) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
(c) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(d) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
8. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
(b) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(c) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(d) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
9. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
(a) He is shot in the head and falls from his horse.
(b) His horse stumbles on a coal and he falls, breaking his neck.
(c) He is attacked by French soldiers and cut down with a saber.
(d) He obeys Denisov and tries to stay back.
10. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
(a) None of the above.
(b) One fencer is the Russian army not abiding by the "rules" of combat.
(c) Napoleon entered Russia without declaring war.
(d) Alexander had believed all of Napoleon's promises and allied himself with France but then ordered his troops to fight.
11. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) Ramballe, the soldier who went into Bazdeev's house, and his orderly.
(b) Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) The French corporal who had been nice to Pierre in Moscow.
(d) Tikhon, the peasant.
12. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
(a) To get fresh ammunition for his regiment.
(b) To meet with the governor there with information from his commander.
(c) To find food and other equipment for his regiment.
(d) To get new horses for his regiment.
13. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
(a) He says that he will drive all of his enemies out and that they can go to Russia.
(b) He says he doesn't understand why Alexander has surrounded himself with Napoleon's personal enemies.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He notes that he is sitting in the same room Alexander had been in four days before as if to indicate his (Napoleon's) superiority.
14. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
(a) He is depressed living with Helene and goes to Moscow to get away from her.
(b) Prince Andrew has come back from abroad and invites Pierre to visit him in Moscow.
(c) He goes there to attend to matters on his estate there.
(d) His carousing behavior is embarrassing to Helene, so she asks him to leave.
15. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
(a) He looks very much like his father and also like his mother. He is a teenager with ideas of revolution.
(b) He is very much like his father in appearance and disposition. Pierre hopes he will lose his bitterness.
(c) He is like his grandfather in intelligence but has superficial tendencies.
(d) He looks exactly like his mother with her same desires for social interaction but also has some deep waters in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
2. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
3. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
4. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
5. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)