|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
(a) He is angry that she has intruded on him.
(b) He is very happy to see her.
(c) He is indifferent to her appearance.
(d) He had just awoken when he sees her and is irritated and confused.
2. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
3. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
(a) None of the above.
(b) One fencer is the Russian army not abiding by the "rules" of combat.
(c) Alexander had believed all of Napoleon's promises and allied himself with France but then ordered his troops to fight.
(d) Napoleon entered Russia without declaring war.
4. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
5. What does Kutuzov ask Andrew to do after they speak of the old prince's death?
(a) He wants to send him to act as intermediary with Arakcheev.
(b) He wants him to stay with him on the staff.
(c) He wants to send him to the frontline of battle.
(d) He wants him to go to the Tsar to explain to him Kutuzov's plans.
6. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
(a) He is asked for the password tries to leave quickly but is hindered by trouble mounting his horse.
(b) The French offer him soup but he makes a mistake despite his fluency and they become alarmed.
(c) He is asked for the password, doesn't have it, ignores the question, and moves on.
(d) He is asked for the password, gives it, and is told how many French are there.
7. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
(b) The regimental doctor and his pretty wife.
(c) An aunt of Princess Mary's.
(d) A pretty young woman who flirts with all the soldiers.
8. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(b) Anatole Kuragin.
9. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
(b) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(c) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
(d) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
10. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(b) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
(c) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
(d) She is happy for her.
11. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(b) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(c) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(d) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
12. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
(a) He is sorry for her.
(b) He is embarrassed for intruding on her mourning.
(c) He is struck by her eyes and sees this as a romantic situation.
(d) He is too busy to think about her.
13. Boris is at a ball dancing with Helene at Vilna. Who arrives to speak with the tsar?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Prince Bagration.
14. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(b) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
(c) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(d) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
15. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(b) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(c) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
(d) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
2. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
3. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
4. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
5. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)