|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings about the change in Andrew in Yaroslavl?
(a) He gives up on the unpleasant struggle to live as his life has been so painful.
(b) His wound is not improving and infection has set in. He is frequently delirious.
(c) He dreams of trying to close a door on death and fails. He no longer fears death.
(d) He has gangrene and it weakens him so much that he cannot fight it any longer.
2. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(b) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
(c) None of the above.
(d) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
3. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
4. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
(b) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(c) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(d) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
5. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
(a) He is unexpectedly very pleasant, but tells her he will not change his mind about Andrew's wedding.
(b) He is out discussing political reform at the time.
(c) He loudly refuses to see her.
(d) He shouts at her.
6. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
(a) He is sorry for her.
(b) He is embarrassed for intruding on her mourning.
(c) He is struck by her eyes and sees this as a romantic situation.
(d) He is too busy to think about her.
7. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(b) She is happy for her.
(c) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
(d) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
8. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
(a) A pretty young woman who flirts with all the soldiers.
(b) An aunt of Princess Mary's.
(d) The regimental doctor and his pretty wife.
9. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
(a) All of the above.
10. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
(a) He is discussing Kutuzov and that he has the interests of Russia foremost in his decisions.
(b) He is discussing Speranski and how so much of what he did was not really useful.
(c) He is discussing Speranski and says that he has done more good for Russia than anyone else.
(d) He is discussing Bagration and that he is extremely valuable in his position.
11. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
(a) Her constantly telling him to sleep.
(b) None of the above.
(c) What could have been and how her own folly ruined that.
(d) Her telling him that he would get better.
12. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
(a) Anatole is already married.
(b) Marya Dmitrievna dislikes the Kuragins and tells Natasha that she will not allow them in her home.
(c) Natasha's engagement to Prince Andrew.
(d) Count Rostov is very protective of his daughter.
13. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
(a) He is thinking about Natasha after a recent conversation with Mary which makes him irritable.
(b) He is thinking about how he will find Anatole and punish him.
(c) He is thinking about how sad he is to leave Mary with his father.
(d) He has no remorse for arguing with his father nor tender feeling for his son.
14. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
(b) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
(c) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
(d) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
15. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
(a) He has expected it all along.
(b) He thanks God and weeps.
(c) He is pleased but still worried about upcoming battles.
(d) He is unusually angry that the Tsar and his staff have not had faith in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
2. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
3. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
4. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
5. What does Mary notice when she and Natasha meet with Pierre?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)