|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
(b) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(c) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(d) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
2. What does Pierre find about himself while walking and when being still?
(a) He finds that now he has no reason to afraid, for as Platon has said, "Suffer an hour, live for an age!"
(b) He is indifferent to either and just does what he must to survive.
(c) His feet hurt, but when he marches the pain leaves.
(d) When he is marching he is afraid of the French killing a prisoner who can't keep up but when he stops, he feels more secure.
3. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
(a) They are pleased to hear them and think that services are still being held even though the city has been conquered.
(b) They are joyful at such a pleasant sound thinking that the Russians are welcoming them.
(c) They are disturbed because they do not know the bells are ringing for vespers.
(d) They are confused and wonder what the bells mean.
4. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
(a) He is very happy to see her.
(b) He is indifferent to her appearance.
(c) He is angry that she has intruded on him.
(d) He had just awoken when he sees her and is irritated and confused.
5. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
(a) He is discussing Speranski and how so much of what he did was not really useful.
(b) He is discussing Speranski and says that he has done more good for Russia than anyone else.
(c) He is discussing Bagration and that he is extremely valuable in his position.
(d) He is discussing Kutuzov and that he has the interests of Russia foremost in his decisions.
6. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
(a) He sees it as something he has to do and accepts it.
(b) He is frightened for the prisoners who are not strong enough to withstand such a march.
(c) He is upset at the treatment given to the prisoners and tries to fight the soldiers.
(d) He moves off by himself and begins to laugh in amazement at his situation.
7. What has caused Helene's illness?
(a) The "inconvenience" of having married two men.
(b) She has taken too much of a certain drug.
(c) She has contracted an illness from her reckless behavior with men.
(d) She has angina pectoris.
8. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(c) No one.
(d) Dolokhov and Helene.
9. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
(a) He says that Petya is so young, his mother's milk is not yet dry on his lips.
(b) He is embarrassed that this should cme up when they have dinner guests and flatly refuses to help him.
(c) He begs him not to speak of it with the Countess as she will be very upset.
(d) He is sympathetic with his son's patriotism and goes to get a posting for him.
10. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
11. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(a) The count.
12. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(b) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(c) None of the above.
(d) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
13. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
(a) They don't explain anything, but merely tell him they will abide by his request.
(b) They do not communicate with him, they just do it.
(c) They detail the plan heavily hoping that he will appreciate their military genius.
(d) They send an envelope with a blank piece of paper in it.
14. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
(b) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
(c) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
(d) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
15. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
(a) An aunt of Princess Mary's.
(b) The regimental doctor and his pretty wife.
(c) A pretty young woman who flirts with all the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
2. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
3. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
4. The French doctor, Metivier, goes to visit with the old Prince Bolkonsky. What is the result?
5. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)