|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Five months.
(d) Five days.
2. What does Kutuzov ask Andrew to do after they speak of the old prince's death?
(a) He wants him to go to the Tsar to explain to him Kutuzov's plans.
(b) He wants him to stay with him on the staff.
(c) He wants to send him to act as intermediary with Arakcheev.
(d) He wants to send him to the frontline of battle.
3. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
(b) An aunt of Princess Mary's.
(c) The regimental doctor and his pretty wife.
(d) A pretty young woman who flirts with all the soldiers.
4. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
(a) Count Rostov is very protective of his daughter.
(b) Marya Dmitrievna dislikes the Kuragins and tells Natasha that she will not allow them in her home.
(c) Anatole is already married.
(d) Natasha's engagement to Prince Andrew.
5. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(b) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
(c) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(d) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
6. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
(a) They are amused at his size but also impressed with the civilian who wants to see the war.
(b) They are derisive and unpleasant about his presence.
(c) They are annoyed at first but when they see his determination to continue, they are impressed.
(d) They laugh at him.
7. What brings about the change in Andrew in Yaroslavl?
(a) He gives up on the unpleasant struggle to live as his life has been so painful.
(b) He dreams of trying to close a door on death and fails. He no longer fears death.
(c) His wound is not improving and infection has set in. He is frequently delirious.
(d) He has gangrene and it weakens him so much that he cannot fight it any longer.
8. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
(a) A factory worker.
(c) Vereshchagin's father.
9. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(b) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(c) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
(d) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
10. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) They ask to rest in the yards of the people leaving Moscow.
(b) They are all leaving Moscow as quickly as they can.
(c) Most go out of the city but a few go into the Rostovs' yard.
(d) They go to a hospital.
11. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
(a) He begs him not to speak of it with the Countess as she will be very upset.
(b) He is sympathetic with his son's patriotism and goes to get a posting for him.
(c) He says that Petya is so young, his mother's milk is not yet dry on his lips.
(d) He is embarrassed that this should cme up when they have dinner guests and flatly refuses to help him.
12. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(d) Prince Andrew.
13. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
(a) She is bitter and full of self loathing.
(b) She is melancholy and idle.
(c) She is serious and reflective.
(d) She is her former cheerful self.
14. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
(b) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(c) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(d) None of the above.
15. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
(a) His leave is ending and he is having trouble finding time to visit with her as he has so much to do.
(b) He is madly in love with her and sees with each visit that she is increasingly receptive to his attentions.
(c) His mother, Anna Mikhaylovna, tells him that Prince Vasili is trying to arrange a marriage between Julie and Anatole.
(d) He is madly in love with her and fears if he doesn't propose quickly, he will lose the opportunity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boris is at a ball dancing with Helene at Vilna. Who arrives to speak with the tsar?
2. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
3. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
4. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
5. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)