|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
(a) He is sorry for her.
(b) He is struck by her eyes and sees this as a romantic situation.
(c) He is embarrassed for intruding on her mourning.
(d) He is too busy to think about her.
2. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
(b) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
(c) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
(d) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
3. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
4. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is happy for her.
(b) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(c) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
(d) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
5. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
6. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(b) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(c) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
(d) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
7. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
(b) Vereshchagin's father.
(d) A factory worker.
8. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
(b) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
(c) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
(d) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
9. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
10. Who is Count Rostopchin?
(a) A busybody who throws his weight around.
(b) The governor of Moscow.
(c) A court official appointed by Alexander to get the aristocracy out of Moscow.
(d) A general under Kutuzov sent to keep order in Moscow as the French advance.
11. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
(a) They fail to surprise the French as the informer is an impostor who has led them into a trap.
(b) They engage the French and smash up the division separated from the rest of the French army.
(c) They arrive where the French are supposed to be but the entire army has joined them and the count looses most of his Cossacks.
(d) They are successful at engaging the French but once the Cossacks take prisoners and collect valuable booty, they won't continue the fight.
12. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
(a) No one really is terribly upset as he had made himself terribly unpopular for expressing his frank opinion of Barclay de Tolly.
(b) As he is among three well-known and liked men who die in the same battle, he is mourned equally with them.
(c) Not much is said because everyone is sad about the death of Kutaysov.
(d) Everyone is deeply grieved, as he has done so much for the war effort and all his troops loved him.
13. What is wrong with the prisoner, Sokolov, who is terrified when the French start to march them all out of Moscow?
(a) He has fever, is dying, and knows he won't survive the march.
(b) He is terrified of the French as their demeanor changes when they are given orders to leave.
(c) He has dysentery and is afraid of being left alone in Moscow.
(d) He is badly wounded and knows he won't survive the march.
14. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
(a) He underestimated the strength of the Russian army and its ability to regroup.
(b) His errors did not occur in Moscow; they began before Napoleon entered the city.
(c) He should not have expected order from the inhabitants of Moscow
(d) He should have advanced on St. Petersburg and gathered up provisions for the winter.
15. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(b) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
(c) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
(d) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
2. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
3. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
4. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
5. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)