|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(b) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(c) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
(d) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
2. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
(a) She is her former cheerful self.
(b) She is bitter and full of self loathing.
(c) She is melancholy and idle.
(d) She is serious and reflective.
3. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(a) No one.
(c) Dolokhov and Helene.
4. What does Kutuzov ask Andrew to do after they speak of the old prince's death?
(a) He wants to send him to act as intermediary with Arakcheev.
(b) He wants him to stay with him on the staff.
(c) He wants him to go to the Tsar to explain to him Kutuzov's plans.
(d) He wants to send him to the frontline of battle.
5. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
(a) He goes there to attend to matters on his estate there.
(b) His carousing behavior is embarrassing to Helene, so she asks him to leave.
(c) He is depressed living with Helene and goes to Moscow to get away from her.
(d) Prince Andrew has come back from abroad and invites Pierre to visit him in Moscow.
6. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
(a) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave for Moscow.
(b) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo, but the peasants do not want them there.
(c) The peasants on the land riot and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
(d) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
7. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
(b) None of these.
(c) The regimental doctor.
8. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
(a) He rescues a small child and then a young woman.
(b) He gets into a fight with several looters.
(c) He gets into a dispute with some looting soldiers and is taken prisoner.
(d) He attacks some French soldiers with his dagger.
9. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(b) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(c) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
(d) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
10. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(b) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(c) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(d) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
11. What happens when Dolokhov goes to spy in the French camp near the village?
(a) He is asked for the password tries to leave quickly but is hindered by trouble mounting his horse.
(b) The French offer him soup but he makes a mistake despite his fluency and they become alarmed.
(c) He is asked for the password, gives it, and is told how many French are there.
(d) He is asked for the password, doesn't have it, ignores the question, and moves on.
12. Who does Rostopchin allow the mob in front of his house to kill?
(a) A factory worker.
(c) Vereshchagin's father.
13. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
(a) He looks exactly like his mother with her same desires for social interaction but also has some deep waters in him.
(b) He is very much like his father in appearance and disposition. Pierre hopes he will lose his bitterness.
(c) He is like his grandfather in intelligence but has superficial tendencies.
(d) He looks very much like his father and also like his mother. He is a teenager with ideas of revolution.
14. Seven years after the war with France, how is Alexander regarded?
(a) He is well esteemed for his desire to flog the invaders despite the actual outcome.
(b) He is looked upon with no respect for his mistakes with Napoleon.
(c) He is regarded as a sovereign who did his best but his enthusiasm and youth hindered his judgment.
(d) He is highly respected for all the good he has done for Russian since that time.
15. Who is the "King of Rome"?
(a) Barclay de Tolly.
(d) Napoleon's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
2. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
3. Who is sent to the staff quarters to inform them of the fact that the detachment sent to fight the French division encountered the entire army?
4. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
5. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)