|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
(b) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(c) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
(d) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
2. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(b) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
(c) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
(d) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
3. Who does Andrew see in the hospital tent who is badly injured?
(c) Anatole Kuragin.
(d) Prince Bagration.
4. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
(a) Mary immediately dislikes her, while the prince refuses to see her.
(b) Mlle Bourienne greets her but is rude to her knowing that the old prince does not favor the engagement. Mary is very welcoming.
(c) Mlle Bourienne greets her and says regretfully that the prince is indisposed and Mary is not at home.
(d) Mary meets her and is delighted with how fashionable and charming she is.
5. Who joins Denisov in his guerrilla efforts?
(a) A French deserting drummer boy.
(c) Tikhon, the Bolkonski's servant.
6. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) None of the above.
(b) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(c) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(d) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
7. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
(a) They don't explain anything, but merely tell him they will abide by his request.
(b) They detail the plan heavily hoping that he will appreciate their military genius.
(c) They send an envelope with a blank piece of paper in it.
(d) They do not communicate with him, they just do it.
8. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(b) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(c) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(d) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
9. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
(a) the old Prince.
(d) Princess Mary.
10. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
(a) One fencer is the Russian army not abiding by the "rules" of combat.
(b) Napoleon entered Russia without declaring war.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Alexander had believed all of Napoleon's promises and allied himself with France but then ordered his troops to fight.
11. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
(a) He wants to negotiate but he knows the Tsar will remove him from his position as commander-in-chief.
(b) He says he will be forever condemned by history if he negotiates peace with the French.
(c) He would like to negotiate to prevent further loss of life but thinks perhaps the time is not right and wants to wait until the French are in even more difficult straits.
(d) In a rare moment of fury, he tells Lauriston to get out and that he will never consider any sort of treaty with Napoleon.
12. After the end of the war, when does Pierre say he will go to St. Petersburg?
(a) He doesn't go.
(b) He go the day after he visits with Mary and Natasha.
(c) He will go in a few days.
(d) He doesn't know if he'll go or not.
13. Who is the "King of Rome"?
(a) Napoleon's son.
(d) Barclay de Tolly.
14. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) Tikhon, the peasant.
(b) Ramballe, the soldier who went into Bazdeev's house, and his orderly.
(c) Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) The French corporal who had been nice to Pierre in Moscow.
15. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
(a) He states that they are poorly done but the French were able to carry most of them out and win the battle.
(b) He states that it's easy to see that they are very confusing and could not be carried out.
(c) He states they are very well drawn up but that they could not be carried out as they should have been.
(d) He states that due to Napoleon's genius, they are well drawn up and that they were carried out to the letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
2. What does Natasha see happening to Mary in the future?
3. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
4. Who is in the force which comes and liberates Pierre?
5. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)