|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Napoleon react to Balashev when they first meet?
(a) He questions him with hostility on the changes in demands that Alexander has made.
(b) He is at first extremely polite but then he tells Balashev that he will take Russia.
(c) He is extremely rude to him and says that his coming is pointless as Napoleon will take Russia to unify Europe.
(d) He says that the war with Russia was forced by Russia's alliance with England.
2. Who does Maria Dmitrievna warn Natasha against?
(b) the old Prince.
(d) Princess Mary.
3. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(b) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(c) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(d) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
4. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(b) No one.
(d) Dolokhov and Helene.
5. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(b) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(c) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(d) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
6. How long did the French and Russians not engage in battle after Borodino?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Five months.
(d) Five days.
7. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
(a) To get fresh ammunition for his regiment.
(b) To get new horses for his regiment.
(c) To find food and other equipment for his regiment.
(d) To meet with the governor there with information from his commander.
8. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
(a) He should have advanced on St. Petersburg and gathered up provisions for the winter.
(b) He underestimated the strength of the Russian army and its ability to regroup.
(c) His errors did not occur in Moscow; they began before Napoleon entered the city.
(d) He should not have expected order from the inhabitants of Moscow
9. What brings about the change in Andrew in Yaroslavl?
(a) He has gangrene and it weakens him so much that he cannot fight it any longer.
(b) He dreams of trying to close a door on death and fails. He no longer fears death.
(c) His wound is not improving and infection has set in. He is frequently delirious.
(d) He gives up on the unpleasant struggle to live as his life has been so painful.
10. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
(a) He is like his grandfather in intelligence but has superficial tendencies.
(b) He is very much like his father in appearance and disposition. Pierre hopes he will lose his bitterness.
(c) He looks exactly like his mother with her same desires for social interaction but also has some deep waters in him.
(d) He looks very much like his father and also like his mother. He is a teenager with ideas of revolution.
11. Who does Nicholas meet with his squadron when seeking shelter at an inn from the rain?
(a) A pretty young woman who flirts with all the soldiers.
(b) An aunt of Princess Mary's.
(c) The regimental doctor and his pretty wife.
12. What has caused Helene's illness?
(a) The "inconvenience" of having married two men.
(b) She has angina pectoris.
(c) She has taken too much of a certain drug.
(d) She has contracted an illness from her reckless behavior with men.
13. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
(b) The count.
14. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
(c) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(d) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
15. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
(a) He was consumed with self-adulation and thought he would make a better nation if Russia is part of it
(b) He could not resist going to Dresden, he puts on a Polish uniform, and he frequently loses his temper.
(c) He wanted to unify Europe and since Russia close by, it became imperative to include it.
(d) He was afraid and angered by Russia allying itself with England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
2. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
3. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
4. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
5. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)