|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pierre goes to see Andrew after his return from his cure, who is Andrew talking about and what does he say before and immediately after their greeting?
(a) He is discussing Bagration and that he is extremely valuable in his position.
(b) He is discussing Speranski and how so much of what he did was not really useful.
(c) He is discussing Speranski and says that he has done more good for Russia than anyone else.
(d) He is discussing Kutuzov and that he has the interests of Russia foremost in his decisions.
2. According Tolstoy, what errors did Napoleon make while he was in Moscow?
(a) He should not have expected order from the inhabitants of Moscow
(b) He should have advanced on St. Petersburg and gathered up provisions for the winter.
(c) He underestimated the strength of the Russian army and its ability to regroup.
(d) His errors did not occur in Moscow; they began before Napoleon entered the city.
3. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
(a) They are disturbed because they do not know the bells are ringing for vespers.
(b) They are joyful at such a pleasant sound thinking that the Russians are welcoming them.
(c) They are confused and wonder what the bells mean.
(d) They are pleased to hear them and think that services are still being held even though the city has been conquered.
4. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
5. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(b) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
(c) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
(d) She is flattered and presses his hand.
6. What does Julie Drubetskaya gossip about as everyone is preparing to leave Moscow?
(a) Pierre's obvious liking for Natasha
(b) Pierre being ridiculous.
(c) The Rostovs' difficulty in selling their estate.
(d) The Rostovs, namely Natasha's quick recovery.
7. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
(b) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
(c) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(d) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
8. How does Kutuzov react when he hears that the French have left Moscow?
(a) He is pleased but still worried about upcoming battles.
(b) He is unusually angry that the Tsar and his staff have not had faith in him.
(c) He has expected it all along.
(d) He thanks God and weeps.
9. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
(a) Not much is said because everyone is sad about the death of Kutaysov.
(b) No one really is terribly upset as he had made himself terribly unpopular for expressing his frank opinion of Barclay de Tolly.
(c) As he is among three well-known and liked men who die in the same battle, he is mourned equally with them.
(d) Everyone is deeply grieved, as he has done so much for the war effort and all his troops loved him.
10. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) They go to a hospital.
(b) Most go out of the city but a few go into the Rostovs' yard.
(c) They are all leaving Moscow as quickly as they can.
(d) They ask to rest in the yards of the people leaving Moscow.
11. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
(c) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
(d) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
12. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(b) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(c) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(d) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
13. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
(a) She is aware of his shameless flirtations with married women.
(b) She is ashamed of the temptation that he causes her to feel.
(c) She is in deep mourning for her father and is also conflicted about him.
(d) She is in deep mourning for her father.
14. How does Pierre react to Platon's illness when he is sitting by the birch tree?
(a) Pierre knows Platon is sick, but knows he cannot help him.
(b) Pierre does not want to go near Platon.
(c) Pierre is afraid that he will catch the fever Platon has and leaves but then he feels guilty and goes back.
(d) Perre is compassionate and wants to help Platon.
15. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(b) She is happy for her.
(c) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
(d) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Count Rostopchin?
2. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
3. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
4. Who does the countess first begin to talk to just before she begins to weep after Petya's death?
5. What happens when Platon makes a shirt for a French officer and presents it to him?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)