|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Andrew meet outside of Kutuzov's quarters after the French have taken Smolensk?
2. How does Pierre react to Platon's illness when he is sitting by the birch tree?
(a) Pierre knows Platon is sick, but knows he cannot help him.
(b) Pierre is afraid that he will catch the fever Platon has and leaves but then he feels guilty and goes back.
(c) Perre is compassionate and wants to help Platon.
(d) Pierre does not want to go near Platon.
3. How does Nicholas react to Mary when he arrives at Bogucharovo?
(a) He is sorry for her.
(b) He is embarrassed for intruding on her mourning.
(c) He is too busy to think about her.
(d) He is struck by her eyes and sees this as a romantic situation.
4. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
(c) The regimental doctor.
(d) None of these.
5. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
(a) Mlle Bourienne greets her but is rude to her knowing that the old prince does not favor the engagement. Mary is very welcoming.
(b) Mary immediately dislikes her, while the prince refuses to see her.
(c) Mlle Bourienne greets her and says regretfully that the prince is indisposed and Mary is not at home.
(d) Mary meets her and is delighted with how fashionable and charming she is.
6. Why does Pierre leave St. Petersburg for Moscow?
(a) Prince Andrew has come back from abroad and invites Pierre to visit him in Moscow.
(b) His carousing behavior is embarrassing to Helene, so she asks him to leave.
(c) He goes there to attend to matters on his estate there.
(d) He is depressed living with Helene and goes to Moscow to get away from her.
7. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
(b) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(c) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
(d) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
8. Who pays special attention to Natasha at the opera with Maria Dmitrievna?
9. When does Sonya write to Nicholas and release him from his promise to marry her?
(a) After she hears that Nicholas has met Mary and that he is drawn to her.
(b) While the family is getting ready to leave Moscow she agrees to write.
(c) When the family is in Troitsa after Natasha has begun to tend Andrew and his wounds.
(d) She only writes to tell him how the family is in such financial straits.
10. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(b) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(c) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
(d) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
11. How is Pierre feeling the first few days he is in Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) He admires Napoleon a great deal and wants to see what the great man will do.
(b) He is worried about the preservation of his servants.
(c) He is agitated and excited almost to the point of insanity.
(d) He is curious and wants to see what will happen.
12. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
(b) No one.
(d) Dolokhov and Helene.
13. Where do the Rostovs go after leaving Moscow?
(a) They go to an inn near Moscow.
(b) They go to a distant relation of the countess.
(c) They must stay in a small town fourteen miles from Moscow.
(d) They go to Otradnoe.
14. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
(a) They are very close together. Andrew goes to break them up but is hit by grapeshot.
(b) The French begin firing toward them and all are killed.
(c) They are about to charge the French but Andrew is killed by a cannon ball.
(d) A shell flies near them and Andrew is hit.
15. What does Mary notice when she and Natasha meet with Pierre?
(a) She is struck by the change in Pierre.
(b) She is amazed at the change in him and notices that Natasha is, too.
(c) She is irritated at Natasha for showing such obvious affection for him.
(d) She sees that Natasha speaks about Andrew in a way she never has before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Natashsa physically and emotionally react to her mother's grief over Petya?
2. Why does Nicholas go to Voronezh?
3. What happens to Petya when he goes with Dolokhov to attack the French?
4. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
5. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)