|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
(a) What could have been and how her own folly ruined that.
(b) Her telling him that he would get better.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Her constantly telling him to sleep.
2. Who stumbles out of the woods to join the Fifth Company before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) The French corporal who had been nice to Pierre in Moscow.
(c) Ramballe, the soldier who went into Bazdeev's house, and his orderly.
(d) Tikhon, the peasant.
3. What happens to Kutuzov after he sees the Tsar at Vilna?
(a) He goes home and writes his memoirs.
(b) He is sent by the Tsar to act as ambassador to France.
(c) He leaves Russia to retire in a sunny place.
(d) He dies.
4. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
(a) He is unexpectedly very pleasant, but tells her he will not change his mind about Andrew's wedding.
(b) He loudly refuses to see her.
(c) He is out discussing political reform at the time.
(d) He shouts at her.
5. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
(a) He has no remorse for arguing with his father nor tender feeling for his son.
(b) He is thinking about how sad he is to leave Mary with his father.
(c) He is thinking about Natasha after a recent conversation with Mary which makes him irritable.
(d) He is thinking about how he will find Anatole and punish him.
6. How does Kutuzov react to Lauriston's coming to see him to negotiate peace?
(a) He says he will be forever condemned by history if he negotiates peace with the French.
(b) He would like to negotiate to prevent further loss of life but thinks perhaps the time is not right and wants to wait until the French are in even more difficult straits.
(c) In a rare moment of fury, he tells Lauriston to get out and that he will never consider any sort of treaty with Napoleon.
(d) He wants to negotiate but he knows the Tsar will remove him from his position as commander-in-chief.
7. Why is Petya forbidden by his general to take part in Denisov's action when he sends Petya with a dispatch for him?
(a) During a previous action, instead of staying back Petya rides to the front of the line and fires a pistol twice.
(b) Petya disobeys orders and, through his recklessness, disrupts an important skirmish.
(c) Petya has disgraced himself with his generous but servile behavior with the rest of his regiment.
(d) Count Rostov has requested that Petya not be in action.
8. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
(b) None of these.
(d) The regimental doctor.
9. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
(a) They are annoyed at first but when they see his determination to continue, they are impressed.
(b) They are derisive and unpleasant about his presence.
(c) They are amused at his size but also impressed with the civilian who wants to see the war.
(d) They laugh at him.
10. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
(a) She is upset at first but later determines that Helene is right.
(b) She is unhappy but hopes Pierre will give her a lot of money.
(c) She is furious as she has wanted to do the same.
(d) She is happy for her.
11. How does Andrew react when he sees Natasha after they leave Moscow?
(a) He is very happy to see her.
(b) He is angry that she has intruded on him.
(c) He is indifferent to her appearance.
(d) He had just awoken when he sees her and is irritated and confused.
12. How do the French react to the ringing of bells when they enter Moscow?
(a) They are joyful at such a pleasant sound thinking that the Russians are welcoming them.
(b) They are confused and wonder what the bells mean.
(c) They are pleased to hear them and think that services are still being held even though the city has been conquered.
(d) They are disturbed because they do not know the bells are ringing for vespers.
13. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
(a) They arrive where the French are supposed to be but the entire army has joined them and the count looses most of his Cossacks.
(b) They fail to surprise the French as the informer is an impostor who has led them into a trap.
(c) They are successful at engaging the French but once the Cossacks take prisoners and collect valuable booty, they won't continue the fight.
(d) They engage the French and smash up the division separated from the rest of the French army.
14. What does Kutuzov say to his troops at the end of his speech before the battle of Krasnoe?
(a) "They will leave Russia if we chase them or not!"
(b) "I know you will all do your best for the Fatherland!"
(c) "But after all who asked them here? Serves them right, the bloody bastards!"
(d) None of the above.
15. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
(b) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(c) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(d) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary unsure about meeting Nicholas?
2. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
3. How does little Nicholas appear at the end of the book?
4. How does Pierre react to his situation during the march out of Moscow when they stop on the first night?
5. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)