|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
(b) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
(c) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
(d) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
2. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(b) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
(c) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(d) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
3. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(b) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(c) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
4. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(b) He is happy to hear news of victory.
(c) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(d) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
5. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
(a) He offers him 30,000 rubles in cash and 50,000 rubles as a note of hand.
(b) He says he is glad Berg is direct and offers him 80,000 rubles in ready money.
(c) He brushes off the matter saying he must consult his steward.
(d) He likes Berg being business-like about it and then he offers him 20,000 rubles in ready money and a note for 80,000 rubles.
6. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(b) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(c) He's been caught with the money.
(d) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
7. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(b) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(d) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
8. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
(a) Pierre is a fool as she thinks Dolokhov is tiresome.
(b) She is angry that she will have to hold her head despite being embarrassed.
(c) Pierre is a fool to believe that Dolokhov was her lover, she merely likes his company
(d) She was upset that he might have been killed.
9. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
(a) She severely rebukes her for being so rude.
(b) She doesn't hear her.
(c) She tells her to sit down and be quiet.
(d) She tells her she is having carrot ice for dessert and laughs at her.
10. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(b) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(c) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
(d) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
11. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
(a) They are priests who come to talk with her and receive alms and food for the poor.
(b) They are pilgrims who come to visit her and talk about their pilgrimages, God, and the miracles they have seen.
(c) They are students who come to her to learn of the Gospel and receive food and clothing from her.
(d) They are ascetics who come to persuade her that she should become like them.
12. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(b) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(c) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(d) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
13. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(b) Napoleon Buonaparte.
(c) General Mack.
(d) Emperor Francis
14. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her great aunt.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her aunt.
15. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
(b) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(c) Angry and hostile to everyone.
(d) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
2. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
3. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
4. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
5. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)