|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(b) Never marry.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Marry a wealthy woman.
2. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(b) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(c) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(d) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
3. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(b) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(c) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(d) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
4. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
(b) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(c) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
(d) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
5. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
(a) They talk about Boris, marriage, and the fact that Boris would not be a good match for Natasha.
(b) They talk about Pierre and Boris and how Boris would be a good match for Natasha.
(c) Natasha compares people with colors and things and the countess tells her to go to bed.
(d) Natasha want to marry Boris but the countess is wants to se if he's serious.
6. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
(b) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
(c) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
(d) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
7. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is afraid.
(c) She is happy and excited.
(d) She is annoyed.
8. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(b) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
(c) His love for Natasha.
(d) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
9. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(b) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(c) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(d) He's been caught with the money.
10. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
(a) She is angry that she will have to hold her head despite being embarrassed.
(b) Pierre is a fool to believe that Dolokhov was her lover, she merely likes his company
(c) She was upset that he might have been killed.
(d) Pierre is a fool as she thinks Dolokhov is tiresome.
11. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
(d) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
12. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
(b) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(c) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
(d) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
13. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(b) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(c) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
(d) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
14. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
(b) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(c) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(d) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
15. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
(a) They are ascetics who come to persuade her that she should become like them.
(b) They are students who come to her to learn of the Gospel and receive food and clothing from her.
(c) They are pilgrims who come to visit her and talk about their pilgrimages, God, and the miracles they have seen.
(d) They are priests who come to talk with her and receive alms and food for the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
2. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
3. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
4. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
5. Why does Nicholas need to whisper to his wolf hound?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)