|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
(a) She was upset that he might have been killed.
(b) She is angry that she will have to hold her head despite being embarrassed.
(c) Pierre is a fool to believe that Dolokhov was her lover, she merely likes his company
(d) Pierre is a fool as she thinks Dolokhov is tiresome.
2. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
(b) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(c) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(d) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
3. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
(a) Hippolyte Kuragin.
(c) Boris Drubetskoy.
4. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(c) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(d) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
5. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
(a) He leaves for St. Petersburg.
(b) He goes home and stays in isolation for a week.
(c) He goes to his estates in Kiev.
(d) He goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo.
6. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
(b) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
(c) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
(d) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
7. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(d) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
8. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(b) Helene Bezukhova.
9. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
(a) He wittily discusses the action at Austerlitz.
(b) He argues with Boris about the brilliance of Napoleon.
(c) He says, "Le Roi de Prusse!", laughs, and repeats himself; it is a joke but a pretty poor one.
(d) He says nothing as he is painfully shy.
10. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
(b) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(c) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(d) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
11. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
(b) He attacks them immediately.
(c) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
(d) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
12. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(b) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(c) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(d) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
13. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(b) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
(c) He reluctantly agrees.
(d) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
14. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
(b) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(c) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(d) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
15. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
(b) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(c) He is happy to hear news of victory.
(d) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
3. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
4. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
5. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)