|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
(a) Hippolyte Kuragin.
(b) Boris Drubetskoy.
2. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
(a) He wants to ask Kutuzov for provisions.
(b) He is telling Kutuzov that he has lost to the French.
(c) He wants to tell Kutuzov that the Russians aren't needed.
(d) He and Kutuzov are good friends and he wants to greet him.
3. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(c) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(d) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
4. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
(b) Captain Tushin.
(c) Boris Drubetskoy.
5. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
(a) No one - he goes on it alone.
(b) Sonya, Natasha, and Petya.
(c) Natasha and Petya.
6. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
(a) A scheming man who acts with deliberate premeditation.
(b) A kindly man who is manipulated by his family.
(c) A man who bears no one any ill will but acts in his own interest when opportunity presents itself.
(d) A man who plans carefully without regard for the well being of others.
7. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(b) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(c) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(d) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
8. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
(b) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
(c) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
(d) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
9. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
(b) She is an interfering woman.
(c) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
(d) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
10. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
11. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(b) It is Natasha's birthday.
(c) It is the old Count's birthday.
(d) It is Oktoberfest.
12. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
(b) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
(c) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(d) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
13. Natasha enjoys going into her mother's room at bedtime to talk with her. What do they talk about?
(a) Natasha compares people with colors and things and the countess tells her to go to bed.
(b) They talk about Boris, marriage, and the fact that Boris would not be a good match for Natasha.
(c) Natasha want to marry Boris but the countess is wants to se if he's serious.
(d) They talk about Pierre and Boris and how Boris would be a good match for Natasha.
14. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
(b) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(c) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
(d) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
15. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(b) He wants her to be brilliant.
(c) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(d) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
2. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
3. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
4. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
5. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)