|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
(a) An animal carcass.
(b) Dead trees.
(c) An abandoned hut.
(d) An oak which has not yet leafed out.
2. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(d) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
3. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Marry a wealthy woman.
(b) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Never marry.
4. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
(b) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(c) Angry and hostile to everyone.
(d) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
5. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(b) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(c) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(d) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
6. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
(d) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
7. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
(a) It is after one o'clock in the morning.
(b) He likes to control the docile Pierre.
(c) He is jealous of Pierre's friends and their fun.
(d) Andrew knows they will drink too much and associate with badly behaved women.
8. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
(b) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
(c) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
(d) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
9. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The twist.
(b) The minuet.
(c) The waltz.
(d) The mazurka.
10. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
(a) Boris Drubetskoy.
(d) Captain Tushin.
11. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
(a) He is telling Kutuzov that he has lost to the French.
(b) He and Kutuzov are good friends and he wants to greet him.
(c) He wants to ask Kutuzov for provisions.
(d) He wants to tell Kutuzov that the Russians aren't needed.
12. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
(a) He is bored and disinterested and as his time with them goes on, he looks forward to returning home, and getting away from such superficial living.
(b) At first he is unhappy and disinterested but Natasha's happiness piques his curiosity and later he is intrigued by her admiring the moon.
(c) At first he looks forward to diversion from things which depress him, but then he sees that their life is too busy and filled with too many foolish people that he welcomes leaving.
(d) He is bored but Natasha's youthful exuberance intrigues him and though he would like to join in, he realizes shortly after his departure that his life is over forever.
13. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(b) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(c) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
14. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(b) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(c) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(d) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
15. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
2. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
3. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
4. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
5. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)