|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
(a) He is telling Kutuzov that he has lost to the French.
(b) He wants to ask Kutuzov for provisions.
(c) He wants to tell Kutuzov that the Russians aren't needed.
(d) He and Kutuzov are good friends and he wants to greet him.
2. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
(a) A man who plans carefully without regard for the well being of others.
(b) A scheming man who acts with deliberate premeditation.
(c) A man who bears no one any ill will but acts in his own interest when opportunity presents itself.
(d) A kindly man who is manipulated by his family.
3. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The waltz.
(b) The twist.
(c) The minuet.
(d) The mazurka.
4. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
(a) She is regarded as very wealthy but very plain.
(b) She is regarded as extremely intelligent and socially adept.
(c) She is regarded as very beautiful which makes up for her moderate fortune.
(d) She is regarded as ugly and not particularly pleasant, but rich.
5. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
(b) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
(c) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(d) Angry and hostile to everyone.
6. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(b) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(c) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(d) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
7. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(b) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(d) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
8. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(b) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(c) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
(d) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
9. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(b) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(c) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
(d) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
10. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
(b) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
(c) He accepts it as something that must happen.
(d) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
11. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
(b) She is an interfering woman.
(c) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
(d) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
12. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
(b) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(c) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(d) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
13. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is Oktoberfest.
(b) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(c) It is Natasha's birthday.
(d) It is the old Count's birthday.
14. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(c) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(d) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
15. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
2. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
3. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
4. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
5. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)