|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
(b) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(c) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(d) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
2. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
(a) She tells her she is having carrot ice for dessert and laughs at her.
(b) She tells her to sit down and be quiet.
(c) She severely rebukes her for being so rude.
(d) She doesn't hear her.
3. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(b) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(c) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
4. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
(b) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
(c) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(d) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
5. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(b) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
(c) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(d) He is happy to hear news of victory.
6. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(b) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(c) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(d) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
7. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(b) Angry and hostile to everyone.
(c) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
(d) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
8. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(b) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(c) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(d) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
9. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) General Mack.
(b) Emperor Francis
(c) Prince Bagration.
(d) Napoleon Buonaparte.
10. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
(a) He begins to brag about his action during Schon Graben and is cut short by Andrew who notices that he is bragging.
(b) He brags about his experience in the charge and the fact that everyone is very impressed with him, especially Prince Andrew.
(c) He gets drunk with Boris and Berg and enjoys himself immensely.
(d) He is amazed at the changes in Boris and wishes to work on the staff as Boris does, planning to use a letter that will help him.
11. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(b) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(c) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(d) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
12. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
(a) Prince Vasili.
(b) Prince Andrew.
(c) Anna's relative.
13. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
(a) She loves his playing the guitar and dances for them.
(b) At Ilagin's insistence, she reluctantly sings while he plays guitar.
(c) She is weary from hunting and falls asleep.
(d) She is unhappy with the rustic nature of Ilagin's house and wants to go home.
14. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) His horse falls on him, he is injured and runs away from the French coming at him.
(b) He charges at the French, is attacked by them and injured severely.
(c) He loses his regiment and wanders about looking for them.
(d) He ends up interfering with his regiment's action.
15. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(b) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(c) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(d) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
2. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
3. What engrosses Pierre after the duel?
4. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
5. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)