|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(b) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(c) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(d) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
2. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(b) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(c) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
(d) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
(d) His love for Natasha.
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(b) She waits for Boris to follow her.
(c) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
(d) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
(b) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(c) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(d) He wants her to be brilliant.
6. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
(a) He leaves for St. Petersburg.
(b) He goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo.
(c) He goes home and stays in isolation for a week.
(d) He goes to his estates in Kiev.
7. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
(a) An oak which has not yet leafed out.
(b) An abandoned hut.
(c) Dead trees.
(d) An animal carcass.
8. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(d) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
9. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(b) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(c) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(d) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
10. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(b) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(c) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(d) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
11. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
(b) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
(c) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
(d) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
12. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(b) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
(c) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
(d) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
13. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(b) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(c) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
(d) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
14. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
(a) He is bored by them and has little in common with them.
(b) He enjoys himself very much but finds them to be too provincial.
(c) He is neither pleased nor displeased with them and pays the call merely out of courtesy.
(d) He enjoys himself, finds them charming, and Natasha's singing moves him nearly to tears.
15. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
(a) That Catiche and her sisters should inherit most as they have cared for the Count.
(b) Whether or not Anna should go to see the Count.
(c) The need for the letter requesting Pierre's legitimacy to be found in his papers along with a new will making Pierre sole heir.
(d) The fact that none of them want Pierre to inherit if they don't inherit from the Count.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the card game with Dolokhov and Nicholas, who wins and how much?
2. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
3. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
4. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
5. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)