|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(b) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(c) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(d) He needs an adjutant.
2. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(b) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
(c) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(d) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
3. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(b) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(c) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(d) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
4. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
(b) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(c) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(d) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
5. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her great aunt.
(d) Her mother.
6. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
(a) He wants to ask Kutuzov for provisions.
(b) He is telling Kutuzov that he has lost to the French.
(c) He wants to tell Kutuzov that the Russians aren't needed.
(d) He and Kutuzov are good friends and he wants to greet him.
7. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
(b) Prince Andrew.
(c) Prince Vasili.
(d) Anna's relative.
8. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(b) He's been caught with the money.
(c) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(d) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
9. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
(b) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(c) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
(d) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
10. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
(a) He is bored and disinterested and as his time with them goes on, he looks forward to returning home, and getting away from such superficial living.
(b) He is bored but Natasha's youthful exuberance intrigues him and though he would like to join in, he realizes shortly after his departure that his life is over forever.
(c) At first he is unhappy and disinterested but Natasha's happiness piques his curiosity and later he is intrigued by her admiring the moon.
(d) At first he looks forward to diversion from things which depress him, but then he sees that their life is too busy and filled with too many foolish people that he welcomes leaving.
11. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(d) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
12. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
(b) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
(c) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
(d) He attacks them immediately.
13. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She is annoyed.
(c) She is happy and excited.
(d) She is indifferent.
14. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
(a) He argues with Boris about the brilliance of Napoleon.
(b) He says, "Le Roi de Prusse!", laughs, and repeats himself; it is a joke but a pretty poor one.
(c) He says nothing as he is painfully shy.
(d) He wittily discusses the action at Austerlitz.
15. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(c) Helene Bezukhova.
Short Answer Questions
1. Princess Mary wishes to speak to Andrew before he leaves about a specific request. What is it?
2. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
3. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
4. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
5. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)