|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
(b) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
(c) She is an interfering woman.
(d) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
2. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
(b) Sonya, Natasha, and Petya.
(c) No one - he goes on it alone.
(d) Natasha and Petya.
3. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
(a) He goes to Moscow.
(b) He goes to find the French.
(c) He returns home.
(d) He returns to Kutuzov.
4. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(b) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(c) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(d) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
5. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
(a) He is happy to see him but is fearful about the coming action.
(b) He is in awe of him and feels he would do anything for him.
(c) He is struck by how young the Tsar is and wonders if he is up to his position.
(d) He is unhappy that the Tsar has involved Russia in this war which does not concern them.
6. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(b) He's been caught with the money.
(c) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(d) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
7. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
(a) She is regarded as very beautiful which makes up for her moderate fortune.
(b) She is regarded as ugly and not particularly pleasant, but rich.
(c) She is regarded as extremely intelligent and socially adept.
(d) She is regarded as very wealthy but very plain.
8. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(b) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(c) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(d) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
9. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
(a) He likes Berg being business-like about it and then he offers him 20,000 rubles in ready money and a note for 80,000 rubles.
(b) He offers him 30,000 rubles in cash and 50,000 rubles as a note of hand.
(c) He says he is glad Berg is direct and offers him 80,000 rubles in ready money.
(d) He brushes off the matter saying he must consult his steward.
10. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(c) Helene Bezukhova.
11. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(b) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(c) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
(d) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
12. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(b) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(d) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
13. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(b) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(c) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
14. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
(b) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
(c) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
(d) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
15. Who is Ilagin?
(a) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(c) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
(d) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
2. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
3. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
4. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
5. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)