|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
(a) A kindly man who is manipulated by his family.
(b) A man who plans carefully without regard for the well being of others.
(c) A man who bears no one any ill will but acts in his own interest when opportunity presents itself.
(d) A scheming man who acts with deliberate premeditation.
2. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
(a) Angry and hostile to everyone.
(b) Bored and disinterested in Pierre's appearance.
(c) Thinner, paler, and his eyes are lifeless.
(d) Irritated that Pierre has come by unannounced.
3. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He reluctantly agrees.
(b) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
(c) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(d) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
4. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(b) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(c) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
(d) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
5. Who is Ilagin?
(a) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(c) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(d) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
6. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(b) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
(c) She waits for Boris to follow her.
(d) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
7. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The waltz.
(b) The twist.
(c) The minuet.
(d) The mazurka.
8. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(b) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(c) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(d) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
9. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He needs an adjutant.
(b) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(c) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(d) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
10. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
(b) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(c) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
(d) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
11. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(b) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(c) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(d) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
12. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
(b) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
(c) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
(d) She is an interfering woman.
13. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
(a) Anna's relative.
(b) Prince Vasili.
(c) Prince Andrew.
14. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(b) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(c) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
(d) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
15. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
(b) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(c) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(d) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
2. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
3. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
5. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)