|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(b) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
(c) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(d) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
2. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
(a) Boris Drubetskoy.
(c) Captain Tushin.
3. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(b) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
4. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(b) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(c) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(d) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
5. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) His horse falls on him, he is injured and runs away from the French coming at him.
(b) He loses his regiment and wanders about looking for them.
(c) He ends up interfering with his regiment's action.
(d) He charges at the French, is attacked by them and injured severely.
6. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
(a) Prince Hippolyte Kuragin.
(c) The Emperor Francis.
(d) General Schmidt.
7. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(b) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
(c) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(d) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
8. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
(b) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
(c) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
(d) He accepts it as something that must happen.
9. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(b) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(c) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(d) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
10. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
(a) They want to burn the bridge before the French get to it.
(b) They are trying to isolate the French so that the Austrian army will have them cornered.
(c) The French are firing at them.
(d) They all want to get across to get their tea.
11. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(b) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
(c) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
(d) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
12. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(b) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(c) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
(d) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
13. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(b) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(c) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
14. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
(a) He returns to Kutuzov.
(b) He returns home.
(c) He goes to Moscow.
(d) He goes to find the French.
15. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(b) He needs an adjutant.
(c) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(d) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
2. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
3. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
4. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
5. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)