|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(c) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(d) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
2. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
(a) Hippolyte Kuragin.
(b) Boris Drubetskoy.
3. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(b) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
(c) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(d) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
4. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(b) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(c) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
(d) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
5. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(b) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(c) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(d) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
6. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
(b) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
(c) He reluctantly agrees.
(d) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
7. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he is a womanizer.
(b) That he cheats at cards.
(c) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(d) That he is abusive to his father.
8. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
(b) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
(c) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
(d) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
9. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
(a) An animal carcass.
(b) An oak which has not yet leafed out.
(c) Dead trees.
(d) An abandoned hut.
10. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
(a) He is bored and disinterested and as his time with them goes on, he looks forward to returning home, and getting away from such superficial living.
(b) He is bored but Natasha's youthful exuberance intrigues him and though he would like to join in, he realizes shortly after his departure that his life is over forever.
(c) At first he looks forward to diversion from things which depress him, but then he sees that their life is too busy and filled with too many foolish people that he welcomes leaving.
(d) At first he is unhappy and disinterested but Natasha's happiness piques his curiosity and later he is intrigued by her admiring the moon.
11. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
(a) A kindly man who is manipulated by his family.
(b) A man who plans carefully without regard for the well being of others.
(c) A man who bears no one any ill will but acts in his own interest when opportunity presents itself.
(d) A scheming man who acts with deliberate premeditation.
12. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is happy and excited.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is afraid.
(d) She is annoyed.
13. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(b) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(c) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
(d) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
14. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
(a) He is in awe of him and feels he would do anything for him.
(b) He is struck by how young the Tsar is and wonders if he is up to his position.
(c) He is unhappy that the Tsar has involved Russia in this war which does not concern them.
(d) He is happy to see him but is fearful about the coming action.
15. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(b) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(c) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(d) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
2. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
3. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
4. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
5. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)