|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
(b) Prince Hippolyte Kuragin.
(c) General Schmidt.
(d) The Emperor Francis.
2. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
(b) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(c) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
(d) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
3. Nichols has returned to his regiment. How does the regiment respond to his arrival and how does he react?
(a) They are all busy but he is happy to be back with them.
(b) They all are starving and irritable and he is frustrated at the thought of having no provisions.
(c) They are all starving and he is happy to have brought provisions to share with them.
(d) They all run to greet him and he feels as happy as he did at home with his family.
4. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(b) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
(c) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(d) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
5. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her great aunt.
(d) Her son.
6. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(b) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(c) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
7. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
(a) He wants to elevate himself and his family in Russian society.
(b) He is merely doing what he thinks is the right thing; he hopes for nothing.
(c) He wants Pierre to marry his daughter, Helene.
(d) He hopes Pierre will look upon him as his father and give him money to pay his debts.
8. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
(a) Captain Tushin.
(d) Boris Drubetskoy.
9. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(b) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
(c) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(d) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
10. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
(a) He thinks Bilibin is a fool and that his cavalier attitude does no one any good.
(b) He throws it away without opening it.
(c) He throws it away after finishing it.
(d) He is distracted from what is bothering him at home.
11. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) His love for Natasha.
(b) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(c) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(d) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
12. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
(a) He attacks them immediately.
(b) He does nothing until the following day when he attacks.
(c) He writes to Napoleon requesting advice.
(d) He offers a cease fire for three days so he can attack them all at once.
13. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
(b) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(c) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(d) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
14. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
(a) She loves his playing the guitar and dances for them.
(b) She is weary from hunting and falls asleep.
(c) At Ilagin's insistence, she reluctantly sings while he plays guitar.
(d) She is unhappy with the rustic nature of Ilagin's house and wants to go home.
15. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(b) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(c) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(d) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
2. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
3. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
4. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)