|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(b) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(c) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(d) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
2. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
(a) Natasha and Petya.
(c) No one - he goes on it alone.
(d) Sonya, Natasha, and Petya.
3. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
(a) He is surprised at the conversation but he agrees.
(b) He is delighted to be in such interesting and illustrious company.
(c) He is angry at their criticism of people he admires so much.
(d) He is disappointed at the company's superficial conversation and criticism of everyone.
4. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(b) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(c) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
(d) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
5. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(b) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
(c) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(d) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
6. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(b) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(c) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(d) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
7. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
(a) He runs yelling "Forward, lads!", picks up the fallen standard, and is shot in the head.
(b) He sees the Tsar and requests him to leave the field of battle.
(c) He sees Kutuzov has a head wound and takes him to be treated.
(d) He rides alongside the retreating army ordering them to turn back.
8. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
(b) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(c) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
(d) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
9. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(b) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(c) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(d) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
10. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
(b) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(c) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(d) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
11. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
(b) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(c) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(d) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
12. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) A border between one army and another.
(b) A portion of a fence.
(c) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
(d) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
13. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
(c) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(d) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
14. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
(a) He is terrified that he may be shot and wishes he had not been given this duty.
(b) Various disconnected thoughts as he struggles not to fall asleep.
(c) He is in a foul temper as he is cold, hungry, and is missing the comforts of home.
(d) He is excited about the prospect of being in combat and perhaps distinguishing himself for the Tsar.
15. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
(a) They all want to get across to get their tea.
(b) They are trying to isolate the French so that the Austrian army will have them cornered.
(c) They want to burn the bridge before the French get to it.
(d) The French are firing at them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas need to whisper to his wolf hound?
2. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
3. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
4. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
5. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)