|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ilagin?
(a) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
(c) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(d) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
2. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is Oktoberfest.
(b) It is Natasha's birthday.
(c) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(d) It is the old Count's birthday.
3. What dance do Denisov and Natasha do at Iogel's ball?
(a) The twist.
(b) The waltz.
(c) The mazurka.
(d) The minuet.
4. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
(a) They are trying to isolate the French so that the Austrian army will have them cornered.
(b) The French are firing at them.
(c) They all want to get across to get their tea.
(d) They want to burn the bridge before the French get to it.
5. How does Andrew react when he sees Lise after the birth of their son?
(a) He is filled with overwhelming love for her and for their child but is still unable to express it.
(b) He is more concerned with the birth of a son.
(c) He is overcome with love for her and their son.
(d) He is filled with remorse by the look on her face.
6. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
(a) The Emperor Francis.
(b) Prince Hippolyte Kuragin.
(d) General Schmidt.
7. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He needs an adjutant.
(b) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(c) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(d) He wants to keep an eye on him.
8. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He reluctantly agrees.
(b) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
(c) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(d) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
9. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(b) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(c) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(d) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
10. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known for her horrible temper.
(b) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(c) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
(d) She is known as a former great beauty.
11. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
(a) He goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo.
(b) He goes to his estates in Kiev.
(c) He leaves for St. Petersburg.
(d) He goes home and stays in isolation for a week.
12. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
(a) Prince Andrew.
(b) Prince Vasili.
(c) Anna's relative.
13. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
(b) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(c) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(d) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
14. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her great aunt.
(d) Her son.
15. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
(b) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(c) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
(d) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew goes to Speranski's for dinner What does he think of him and his company?
2. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
3. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
5. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)