|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
(a) He is excited as he had feared Nicholas would ask him for more money but with such a large win, Nicholas will not need it.
(b) He initially is agitated but regains his composure, says it will be difficult to raise the money, and leaves the room.
(c) He pays no attention; he is preoccupied with a problem with his steward.
(d) He is pleased that Nicholas has won so much money.
2. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(b) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(c) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
(d) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
3. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) His love for Natasha.
(d) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
4. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
(b) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
5. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(b) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
(c) She is known as a former great beauty.
(d) She is known for her horrible temper.
6. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(b) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(c) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(d) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
7. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) He loses his regiment and wanders about looking for them.
(b) He ends up interfering with his regiment's action.
(c) He charges at the French, is attacked by them and injured severely.
(d) His horse falls on him, he is injured and runs away from the French coming at him.
8. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
(b) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(c) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(d) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
9. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(b) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(c) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(d) He needs an adjutant.
10. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
(a) He goes to Moscow.
(b) He returns home.
(c) He goes to find the French.
(d) He returns to Kutuzov.
11. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
(a) She loves his playing the guitar and dances for them.
(b) At Ilagin's insistence, she reluctantly sings while he plays guitar.
(c) She is unhappy with the rustic nature of Ilagin's house and wants to go home.
(d) She is weary from hunting and falls asleep.
12. Princess Mary wishes to speak to Andrew before he leaves about a specific request. What is it?
(a) She wants him to help her get away from their father.
(b) She asks him to accept Mlle. Bourienne as her friend.
(c) She asks him to forgive his wife.
(d) She wants him to carry an icon around his neck to protect him in battle.
13. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
(a) He hopes Pierre will look upon him as his father and give him money to pay his debts.
(b) He is merely doing what he thinks is the right thing; he hopes for nothing.
(c) He wants to elevate himself and his family in Russian society.
(d) He wants Pierre to marry his daughter, Helene.
14. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
(b) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
(c) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(d) He ignores her and walks away.
15. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Never marry.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(d) Marry a wealthy woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
2. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
3. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
4. Who is Anna Pavlovna's guest of honor at her soiree in Part 5?
5. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)