|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(b) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(c) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(d) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
2. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
(b) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
3. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
(b) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
(c) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(d) She waits for Boris to follow her.
4. Andrew receives a letter from Bilibin. How does he react to it?
(a) He throws it away without opening it.
(b) He thinks Bilibin is a fool and that his cavalier attitude does no one any good.
(c) He throws it away after finishing it.
(d) He is distracted from what is bothering him at home.
5. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he cheats at cards.
(b) That he is abusive to his father.
(c) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(d) That he is a womanizer.
6. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
(a) She loves his playing the guitar and dances for them.
(b) She is weary from hunting and falls asleep.
(c) At Ilagin's insistence, she reluctantly sings while he plays guitar.
(d) She is unhappy with the rustic nature of Ilagin's house and wants to go home.
7. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(b) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
(c) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
(d) He reluctantly agrees.
8. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(b) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(c) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(d) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
9. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
(b) He accepts it as something that must happen.
(c) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
(d) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
10. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(b) She is known for her horrible temper.
(c) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
(d) She is known as a former great beauty.
11. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
(a) He wants to elevate himself and his family in Russian society.
(b) He wants Pierre to marry his daughter, Helene.
(c) He hopes Pierre will look upon him as his father and give him money to pay his debts.
(d) He is merely doing what he thinks is the right thing; he hopes for nothing.
12. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(b) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(c) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(d) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
13. Who is Ilagin?
(a) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
(c) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(d) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
14. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(b) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
(c) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
(d) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
15. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(b) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(c) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(d) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
2. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
3. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
5. Who does Andrew hear and see shortly after the first shot before the action at Schon Grabern?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)