|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 15, Chapters 1-8 | Part 15, Chapters 9-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
(a) He offers him 30,000 rubles in cash and 50,000 rubles as a note of hand.
(b) He likes Berg being business-like about it and then he offers him 20,000 rubles in ready money and a note for 80,000 rubles.
(c) He says he is glad Berg is direct and offers him 80,000 rubles in ready money.
(d) He brushes off the matter saying he must consult his steward.
2. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He is happy to hear news of victory.
(b) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
(c) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(d) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
3. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(b) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
(c) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
(d) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
4. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(b) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(c) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
(d) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
5. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
(a) They send an envelope with a blank piece of paper in it.
(b) They detail the plan heavily hoping that he will appreciate their military genius.
(c) They do not communicate with him, they just do it.
(d) They don't explain anything, but merely tell him they will abide by his request.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
2. Shortly after Natasha's recovery from her illness, why does Pierre decide not to visit with the Rostovs anymore?
3. How is the death of Bagration received in St. Petersburg?
4. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
5. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)