|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 15, Chapters 1-8 | Part 15, Chapters 9-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the "King of Rome"?
(a) Napoleon's son.
(d) Barclay de Tolly.
2. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
(c) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(d) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
3. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(b) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(c) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(d) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
4. What is Tolstoy's metaphor of the two fencers about?
(a) Alexander had believed all of Napoleon's promises and allied himself with France but then ordered his troops to fight.
(b) None of the above.
(c) One fencer is the Russian army not abiding by the "rules" of combat.
(d) Napoleon entered Russia without declaring war.
5. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(b) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(c) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(d) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
2. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
3. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
5. What torments Natasha when she thinks about Andrew after his death?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)