|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 15, Chapters 1-8 | Part 15, Chapters 9-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Rostovs go after leaving Moscow?
(a) They must stay in a small town fourteen miles from Moscow.
(b) They go to a distant relation of the countess.
(c) They go to an inn near Moscow.
(d) They go to Otradnoe.
2. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
(c) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
(d) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
3. How does Tolstoy view Napoleon's dispositions for the Battle of Borodino?
(a) He states they are very well drawn up but that they could not be carried out as they should have been.
(b) He states that it's easy to see that they are very confusing and could not be carried out.
(c) He states that they are poorly done but the French were able to carry most of them out and win the battle.
(d) He states that due to Napoleon's genius, they are well drawn up and that they were carried out to the letter.
4. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
(b) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
(d) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
5. What happens when Count Orlov-Denisov and his Cossacks try to engage the French?
(a) They are successful at engaging the French but once the Cossacks take prisoners and collect valuable booty, they won't continue the fight.
(b) They arrive where the French are supposed to be but the entire army has joined them and the count looses most of his Cossacks.
(c) They fail to surprise the French as the informer is an impostor who has led them into a trap.
(d) They engage the French and smash up the division separated from the rest of the French army.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kutuzov's staff explain their plan to cut off the French on the road to Smolensk to him?
2. Pierre goes to visit Prince Andrew at Bogucharovo. How does Andrew appear to him?
3. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
4. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
5. What happens when Natasha goes to the Bolkonski's to visit Mary and the old prince?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)