|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 25-29 | Part 11, Chapters 30-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(b) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
(c) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(d) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
2. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(b) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(c) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(d) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
3. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
(a) He is in awe of him and feels he would do anything for him.
(b) He is unhappy that the Tsar has involved Russia in this war which does not concern them.
(c) He is happy to see him but is fearful about the coming action.
(d) He is struck by how young the Tsar is and wonders if he is up to his position.
4. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
(a) He wants to elevate himself and his family in Russian society.
(b) He is merely doing what he thinks is the right thing; he hopes for nothing.
(c) He hopes Pierre will look upon him as his father and give him money to pay his debts.
(d) He wants Pierre to marry his daughter, Helene.
5. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(b) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(c) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(d) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
2. Shortly after Natasha's recovery from her illness, why does Pierre decide not to visit with the Rostovs anymore?
3. How does Helene's mother react to her attempt to get divorced?
4. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
5. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)