|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 25-29 | Part 11, Chapters 30-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the wounded soldiers go when everyone is leaving Moscow before the French arrive?
(a) They ask to rest in the yards of the people leaving Moscow.
(b) They are all leaving Moscow as quickly as they can.
(c) Most go out of the city but a few go into the Rostovs' yard.
(d) They go to a hospital.
2. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
(a) He is excited about the prospect of being in combat and perhaps distinguishing himself for the Tsar.
(b) He is terrified that he may be shot and wishes he had not been given this duty.
(c) He is in a foul temper as he is cold, hungry, and is missing the comforts of home.
(d) Various disconnected thoughts as he struggles not to fall asleep.
3. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(b) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
(c) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
(d) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
4. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
(a) He is met by Napoleon's adjutants who are extremely rude to him, and put him in a broken down shed to await Napoleon's arrival.
(b) He is first met by Murat who is very cordial with him. Then he meets with Davout who extremely rude to him and makes him wait.
(c) He is met by Davout immediately but Davout is bored by him, thinks he has more pressing matters and makes him wait to see Napoleon.
(d) He is met by Murat who is very pleasant with him and takes him to meet Napoleon.
5. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(b) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(c) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(d) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
2. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
3. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
4. Shortly after Natasha's recovery from her illness, why does Pierre decide not to visit with the Rostovs anymore?
5. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)