|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 25-29 | Part 11, Chapters 30-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ilagin?
(a) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(b) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
(c) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(d) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
2. When Andrew goes to visit his family at Bald Hills, he begins to tell little Nicholas the story of Bluebeard and but then stops and begins to brood over something. What is he thinking about?
(a) He is thinking about how sad he is to leave Mary with his father.
(b) He is thinking about how he will find Anatole and punish him.
(c) He is thinking about Natasha after a recent conversation with Mary which makes him irritable.
(d) He has no remorse for arguing with his father nor tender feeling for his son.
3. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(b) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(c) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
(d) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
4. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
(a) At first he asks Boris to help him through Boris' general and Boris tells him it would be better for him to apply for the pardon through his commander of the corps.
(b) He first approaches Boris who is happy to help Denisov because of Denisov's connections.
(c) He first approaches his general who says he will do all he can to help.
(d) He goes to his general who tells him that Denisov is clearly guilty and must face the consequences.
5. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
(b) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(c) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(d) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
2. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
3. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
4. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
5. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)