|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 25-29 | Part 11, Chapters 30-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
(b) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(c) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(d) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
2. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) His love for Natasha.
(b) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(c) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(d) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
3. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
(a) He says nothing as he is painfully shy.
(b) He argues with Boris about the brilliance of Napoleon.
(c) He says, "Le Roi de Prusse!", laughs, and repeats himself; it is a joke but a pretty poor one.
(d) He wittily discusses the action at Austerlitz.
4. Dolokhov has been demoted and his superior officers have taken note of his outspokenness. How does the Schon Grabern battle go for him?
(a) His regiment wins their skirmish with the French.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He is badly wounded and unable to continue fighting.
(d) He turns cowardly and hides in some bushes.
5. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
(a) They put him on the stretcher but then determine that he is dead and so leave him in the field.
(b) Napoleon remembers him, admires his courage, and sends him to his own doctor to be tended.
(c) Napoleon remembers him, so they put him on a stretcher, but steal his icon.
(d) Napoleon sees him, remembers his carrying the Russian standard, and sends him to a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
2. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
3. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
4. Who is the first to see the French at Ostrovna?
5. What does Prince Andrew look at as he is driving through a forest that confirms he is feeling that his life has nothing new to offer?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)