|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 25-29 | Part 11, Chapters 30-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(b) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
(c) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(d) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
2. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(b) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(c) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(d) He's been caught with the money.
3. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
(a) He is delighted to see them and pleased to see what a brilliant young man Anatole is.
(b) He does not want Prince Vasili or Anatole there.
(c) He is jealous of the attention they pay to his daughter and daughter-in-law.
(d) He basically ignores them as they have interfered with his strict routine.
4. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
(a) He wakes, reads the scriptures, and finds new ways of benefitting his fellow man.
(b) He reads the scriptures and goes about his days but slips back into his old habits.
(c) He struggles to be a good Freemason but still finds the other Freemasons to be better.
(d) He wakes progressively later after drinking and eating to excess, and does nothing.
5. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(b) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
(c) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(d) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
2. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
3. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
4. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
5. What does Napoleon say to Balashev after dinner about Alexander?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)