|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 10, Chapters 1-7 | Part 10, Chapters 8-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(c) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
(d) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
2. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(b) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(c) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(d) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
3. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He ignores her and walks away.
(b) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
(c) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(d) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
4. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(b) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
(c) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(d) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
5. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
(a) He is struck by how pretty she is and wants to propose.
(b) He sees her as a bit more grown up but he only visits out of gratitude to the Rostovs.
(c) He is not interested in her because she is not witty enough.
(d) He is struck by how pretty she is but she would not be a good match.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolokhov say to Rostov after the card game?
2. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
3. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
4. With great enthusiasm, Pierre has become a Freemason. What does he write in his diary regarding his pursuit of a more pure life?
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)