|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 10, Chapters 1-7 | Part 10, Chapters 8-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Andrew leaves to join the army a second time, what does the old Prince Bolkonski say to Mary before showing her Andrew's second letter?
(a) He tells her that he is angry with her for interfering between him and Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) He tells her that Andrew has written to him about the approach of the French to Smolensk.
(c) He asks her if she is happy that she has made he and Andrew quarrel, that he is old and weak, and hurt by the situation.
(d) He tells her that Andrew has written to say the French are in Smolensk and that they should go to Bogucharovo.
2. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He accepts it as something that must happen.
(b) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
(c) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
(d) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
3. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is the old Count's birthday.
(b) It is Oktoberfest.
(c) It is Natasha's birthday.
(d) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
4. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
(a) She tells her she is having carrot ice for dessert and laughs at her.
(b) She severely rebukes her for being so rude.
(c) She tells her to sit down and be quiet.
(d) She doesn't hear her.
5. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
(c) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(d) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boris speed up his courting of Julie Karagina?
2. Who is Count Rostopchin?
3. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
4. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
5. The Tsar goes to Olmutz to review the troops. How does Nicholas react when he sees him?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)