|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 10, Chapters 1-7 | Part 10, Chapters 8-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
(a) He argues with Boris about the brilliance of Napoleon.
(b) He says nothing as he is painfully shy.
(c) He wittily discusses the action at Austerlitz.
(d) He says, "Le Roi de Prusse!", laughs, and repeats himself; it is a joke but a pretty poor one.
2. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
(a) She is regarded as very wealthy but very plain.
(b) She is regarded as ugly and not particularly pleasant, but rich.
(c) She is regarded as extremely intelligent and socially adept.
(d) She is regarded as very beautiful which makes up for her moderate fortune.
3. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(b) She is known as a former great beauty.
(c) She is known for her horrible temper.
(d) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
4. Who is Ilagin?
(a) A distant relative and neighbor of the Rostov's at Otradnoe.
(b) The Rostovs' uncle who lives near Otradnoe.
(c) The Rostovs' steward who works at Otradnoe.
(d) A close family friend of the Rostov's who has a neighboring estate near Otradnoe.
5. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
(a) He enjoys himself very much but finds them to be too provincial.
(b) He enjoys himself, finds them charming, and Natasha's singing moves him nearly to tears.
(c) He is neither pleased nor displeased with them and pays the call merely out of courtesy.
(d) He is bored by them and has little in common with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
2. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
3. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
4. Boris goes to visit the Rostovs. What does he think of Natasha?
5. Balashev is sent to meet Napoleon with a letter from Alexander. Who does he meet before seeing Napoleon and how do the meetings go?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)