|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6, Chapters 1-7 | Part 6, Chapters 8-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
(a) He begins to brag about his action during Schon Graben and is cut short by Andrew who notices that he is bragging.
(b) He gets drunk with Boris and Berg and enjoys himself immensely.
(c) He brags about his experience in the charge and the fact that everyone is very impressed with him, especially Prince Andrew.
(d) He is amazed at the changes in Boris and wishes to work on the staff as Boris does, planning to use a letter that will help him.
2. Prince Andrew goes to the Rostovs' as Count Rostov is the Marshal for the district and he must see him on account of his being trustee of the Ryazan estate. How does he react to being with the Rostov's from beginning to end?
(a) He is bored but Natasha's youthful exuberance intrigues him and though he would like to join in, he realizes shortly after his departure that his life is over forever.
(b) At first he looks forward to diversion from things which depress him, but then he sees that their life is too busy and filled with too many foolish people that he welcomes leaving.
(c) He is bored and disinterested and as his time with them goes on, he looks forward to returning home, and getting away from such superficial living.
(d) At first he is unhappy and disinterested but Natasha's happiness piques his curiosity and later he is intrigued by her admiring the moon.
3. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) Napoleon Buonaparte.
(b) Emperor Francis
(c) Prince Bagration.
(d) General Mack.
4. Pierre receives two letters, one from Helene and another form his mother-in-law begging for Helene to come to live with him again. What is his response?
(a) He tells them that this is exactly what he has been hoping for but has been too ashamed to ask.
(b) He reluctantly agrees.
(c) He tells them both that he does not want her to come back.
(d) He does not respond, but Helene moves back any way.
5. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
(a) That Bagration's orders are very well thought out.
(b) That Bagration's orders are random and chaotic.
(c) That although Bagration does very little and gives few commands, his presence and tact calm and encourage everyone about him.
(d) That Bagration is enthusiastic and commanding which excites the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
2. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
3. What is Prince Vasili hoping to achieve by helping Pierre with his duties?
4. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
5. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)