|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapters 1-5 | Part 5, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(b) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(c) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(d) He goes out and celebrates.
2. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
(a) He wittily discusses the action at Austerlitz.
(b) He says nothing as he is painfully shy.
(c) He says, "Le Roi de Prusse!", laughs, and repeats himself; it is a joke but a pretty poor one.
(d) He argues with Boris about the brilliance of Napoleon.
3. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
(b) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(c) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(d) He is happy to hear news of victory.
4. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
(b) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
(c) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(d) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
5. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(b) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(c) He wants her to be brilliant.
(d) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
2. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
3. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
4. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
5. Where does Andrew go after leaving Brunn?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)