|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapters 1-5 | Part 5, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
(a) Study etiquette and the social graces.
(b) Marry a wealthy woman.
(c) Never marry.
(d) Join the army.
2. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
(b) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
(c) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(d) He ignores her and walks away.
3. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
(a) She is happy and excited.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is annoyed.
(d) She is afraid.
4. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
(a) He hears that the Tsar has been killed so he goes to deliver it to Kutuzov.
(b) He delivers it to the Tsar who recognizes him and asks Nicholas what the state of battle is.
(c) He goes to deliver it , hears the Tsar has been wounded, but later finds him alone in the middle of a field unhurt.
(d) He goes to deliver it, hears the Tsar has been killed, and rides back to find his squadron.
5. Prince Nicholas Bolkonsky believes in only two vices and two virtues. What are they?
(a) Pride and gluttony and humility and temperance.
(b) Illness and remorse and kindness and health.
(c) Greed and envy and generosity and patience.
(d) Idleness and superstition and activity and intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
2. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
3. Andrew observes Prince Bagration in command. What does he notice about his methods of command?
4. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
5. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)