|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapters 1-5 | Part 5, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the club dinner, what is Pierre so preoccupied with that he doesn't hear what is being said to him?
(a) He is angry that Dolokhov, who has no connections, has been made an officer but still lives off Pierre's good will and takes his money.
(b) He is reflecting on remarks Catiche has made and an anonymous letter saying that his wife is cheating on him with Dolokhov.
(c) He is tipsy with wine and is absentmindedly staring at a candlestick.
(d) He is bewildered by all the things people expect of him and wishes he had not inherited such responsibility with his fortune.
2. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) A portion of a fence.
(b) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
(c) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
(d) A border between one army and another.
3. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
(a) He stays home fuming over his recent behavior in Moscow.
(b) He goes to visit Bazdeev who is ill.
(c) He stays in reading Thomas A Kempis, and joins the Freemasons.
(d) He returns to his former behavior of debauchery and drunkenness.
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
(a) She wants to be sure that Pierre is his father's sole heir, and if she helps him, he will help Boris.
(b) She is bored at the Rostovs' dinner.
(c) She is an interfering woman.
(d) She wants to meet Prince Vasili and ingratiate herself to him again.
5. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
(a) That he is a womanizer.
(b) That he cheats at cards.
(c) That his friends are poorly chosen.
(d) That he is abusive to his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
2. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
3. What does Hippolyte talk about at Anna Pavlovna's soiree?
4. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
5. Who does Andrew stay with when he goes to Brunn?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)