|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapters 1-5 | Part 5, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) Prince Bagration.
(b) Napoleon Buonaparte.
(c) General Mack.
(d) Emperor Francis
2. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(b) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
(c) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(d) He wants her to be brilliant.
3. Prince Vasili in the beginning of Part 3 is described as...
(a) A man who plans carefully without regard for the well being of others.
(b) A scheming man who acts with deliberate premeditation.
(c) A man who bears no one any ill will but acts in his own interest when opportunity presents itself.
(d) A kindly man who is manipulated by his family.
4. After leaving the Bolkonski's home, Pierre considers going home or going out with friends. Andrew has advised against his going out with his friends. Why does he not want Pierre to go?
(a) It is after one o'clock in the morning.
(b) Andrew knows they will drink too much and associate with badly behaved women.
(c) He likes to control the docile Pierre.
(d) He is jealous of Pierre's friends and their fun.
5. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(b) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
(c) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
(d) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisabeth talks about going to the country while Andrew is off to war. How does she feel about being with his father and sister?
2. When Pierre goes to Anna Pavlovna's soiree, he is especially delighted to see...
3. Where does Pierre go the day after his duel?
4. When Murat sees the Russian forces gathering he thinks it is the entire Army. What does he do upon seeing this?
5. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)