|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapters 1-5 | Part 5, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(b) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(c) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(d) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
2. Nicholas is patrolling the lines. What is running through his mind?
(a) He is excited about the prospect of being in combat and perhaps distinguishing himself for the Tsar.
(b) Various disconnected thoughts as he struggles not to fall asleep.
(c) He is terrified that he may be shot and wishes he had not been given this duty.
(d) He is in a foul temper as he is cold, hungry, and is missing the comforts of home.
3. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(b) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(c) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(d) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(b) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(c) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
(d) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
5. What happens to Nicholas during the battle at Schon Grabern?
(a) He loses his regiment and wanders about looking for them.
(b) He ends up interfering with his regiment's action.
(c) His horse falls on him, he is injured and runs away from the French coming at him.
(d) He charges at the French, is attacked by them and injured severely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of reputation does Princess Mary have as a prospective wife?
2. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
3. At his home, what advice does Prince Andrew give to Pierre?
4. What does Pierre do when he goes to St. Petersburg?
5. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)