|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 9-12 | Part 2, Chapters 13-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(b) He ignores her and walks away.
(c) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
(d) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
2. Why does Prince Bolkonsky insist on teaching Mary geometry?
(a) He wants her to be brilliant.
(b) He wants her to be an educated woman who is not just schooled in the arts.
(c) He wants the order of mathematics to drive the nonsense out of her head.
(d) He wants her to continue his work on his inventions.
3. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He's been caught with the money.
(b) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(c) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(d) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
4. Who does Anna Pavlovna wish for each newcomer to her soiree to speak with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her great aunt.
(d) Her son.
5. How does Pierre feel after the death of his father?
(a) He accepts it as something that must happen.
(b) He is indifferent because his father has not made him a legitimate son.
(c) He is angry that his father has not made him legitimate.
(d) He is happy that he will no longer be under his father's scrutiny and judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna insist on taking Pierre to visit his father just before he dies?
2. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
3. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
4. At the Rostov's, the people gossip about Pierre. What do they say about him?
5. What do Anna Mikhaylovna, Prince Vasili and Catiche argue about outside of the old Count's room?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)