|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 12, Chapters 1-8 | Part 12, Chapters 9-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew react to his evening with the Rostovs in St. Petersburg?
(a) He enjoys himself, finds them charming, and Natasha's singing moves him nearly to tears.
(b) He is bored by them and has little in common with them.
(c) He is neither pleased nor displeased with them and pays the call merely out of courtesy.
(d) He enjoys himself very much but finds them to be too provincial.
2. How has Natasha changed since becoming ill?
(a) She is her former cheerful self.
(b) She is bitter and full of self loathing.
(c) She is serious and reflective.
(d) She is melancholy and idle.
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
(a) He shouts at her.
(b) He loudly refuses to see her.
(c) He is unexpectedly very pleasant, but tells her he will not change his mind about Andrew's wedding.
(d) He is out discussing political reform at the time.
4. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
(c) Prince Bagration.
(d) Prince Andrew.
5. Denisov commandeers provisions for his regiment. How does he justify it to the officer from whom he is taking them?
(a) He does not try to justify anything; he slaps the officer and takes the food yelling that he is not "wobbing" anyone!
(b) His soldiers have not had provisions for two weeks while the officer complains that his infantrymen have not had provisions for two days.
(c) His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
(d) The infantry are near a town where they can buy food while the Pavlograd hussars' regiment is stationed away from any towns.His soldiers must ride all day which is hard work while they only must march slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tolstoy think Napoleon started the war with Russia?
2. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
3. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
4. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
5. What does Count Rostov say to Petya when he says he wants to join the army?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)