|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 12, Chapters 1-8 | Part 12, Chapters 9-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(b) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(c) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
(d) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
2. At Borodino, Andrew is with his regiment. What are they doing and what happens to them?
(a) The French begin firing toward them and all are killed.
(b) They are about to charge the French but Andrew is killed by a cannon ball.
(c) They are very close together. Andrew goes to break them up but is hit by grapeshot.
(d) A shell flies near them and Andrew is hit.
3. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
(c) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
(d) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
4. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(b) He goes out and celebrates.
(c) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
(d) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
5. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(b) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
(c) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
(d) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary right after her father dies?
2. When Pierre has difficulty getting on a horse to ride with a general, how does the staff react to the sight of him?
3. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
4. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
5. What does Pierre do when he goes out into the streets of Moscow to find Napoleon?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)