|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 12, Chapters 1-8 | Part 12, Chapters 9-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
(a) His distress that the reforms he is drawing up are slow in materializing.
(b) His love for Natasha.
(c) He is considering going abroad to take a cure and wants to know if Pierre thinks it's a good idea.
(d) He had noticed Pierre's overall melancholy and wants to help him.
2. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He's been caught with the money.
(b) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(c) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(d) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
3. In Tolstoy's mathematical problem, what kind of animal is Achilles trying to catch up with?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A hare.
(c) A snail.
(d) None of the above.
4. What does Pierre reflect upon after the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) That he has, so he thinks, killed a man for a depraved woman whom he has never loved.
(b) That he is unfortunate for having so foul a temper that he would challenge someone he considers to be a good man and friend to a duel.
(c) That he hopes Helene still loves him and will have his child after all this.
(d) That he is totally to blame and he prays that Helene will forgive him for his profound error.
5. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
(a) He is asleep because he's had a lot of wine.
(b) He can't hear anything Nicholas says because of the wind.
(c) He says, "Yes, I am happy for you but I shall just be happy to get out of the cold, my dear fellow."
(d) He is very excited to be meeting the family of his good friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Princess Mary's "God's Folk"?
2. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
3. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
5. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)