|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 12, Chapters 1-8 | Part 12, Chapters 9-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
(b) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(c) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
(d) She is flattered and presses his hand.
2. What does Bagration write to Arakcheev?
(a) He wants to change the chain of command so that he is not subordinate to Barclay.
(b) He requests that Arakcheev moves him from under Barclay de Tollys' command even if he is only to command a regiment.
(c) He is apprising him of what is going on in the campaign.
(d) He wants Arakcheev to appoint a minister other than Barclay de Tolly.
3. What happens to Mary when she is leaving Bogucharovo for Moscow?
(a) Mlle. Bourienne persuades Mary to stay at Bogucharovo but the peasants do not want them there.
(b) The peasants on the land riot, destroy her carts and keep her and Mlle. Bourienne confined to the house.
(c) The French enter the home and prevent her from leaving.
(d) The peasants on the land whom Andrew has freed refuse to let her leave.
4. Pierre is shown a section of Revelations by one of his fellow Masons which corresponds with Napoleon. What does he find in reading it?
(a) Napoleon's name in Russian and French adds up to 666.
(b) He sees that Napoleon is the beast and decides that he must spread this word to everyone in Russia.
(c) Knowing that Napoleon's name adds up to 666, he unsuccessfully tries to use the same calculations with his name.
(d) His name in French and Napoleon's both add up to 666.
5. How has Pierre's huge inheritance changed him financially?
(a) He wishes he had never inherited the money, as life was much simpler before.
(b) He notices that although he has more money than before, he often has to pay so much out that he must borrow in order to fulfill his obligations.
(c) He is thrilled at having so much money that he has a huge surplus each month.
(d) He does not really pay attention to the fact that he is continually losing money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas goes to Tilsit to request a pardon for Denisov. To whom does he initially appeal and how is he received?
2. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
3. Who does Alpatych meet when he goes to Smolensk?
4. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
5. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)