|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-4 | Part 4, Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(b) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(c) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
(d) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
2. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is the old Count's birthday.
(b) It is Oktoberfest.
(c) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(d) It is Natasha's birthday.
3. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
(a) She wants to ask Pierre's father to lend her money.
(b) She hopes that Pierre's father is well enough to acknowledge Boris if only in his Will.
(c) She wants Boris personally to thank Prince Vasili, a close relative of Pierre's father, who is also there to see the Count.
(d) She wants Boris to meet the Count.
4. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(b) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(c) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(d) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
5. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
(a) He goes out and celebrates.
(b) Nicholas goes to find the thief and catches him spending some of it.
(c) He follows Denisov's command to do nothing about it.
(d) He follows the man who stole it and beats him senseless for such outrageous behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
2. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
3. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
4. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
5. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)