|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-4 | Part 4, Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
(a) She is known as a woman of wealth and rank.
(b) She is known for her horrible temper.
(c) She is known as a woman of good sense and unadorned speech.
(d) She is known as a former great beauty.
2. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(b) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(c) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(d) He's been caught with the money.
3. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(b) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
(c) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
(d) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
4. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
(b) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(c) He ignores her and walks away.
(d) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
5. After the duel, Helene goes to speak to Pierre. What does she say?
(a) She is angry that she will have to hold her head despite being embarrassed.
(b) Pierre is a fool to believe that Dolokhov was her lover, she merely likes his company
(c) Pierre is a fool as she thinks Dolokhov is tiresome.
(d) She was upset that he might have been killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
2. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
3. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
4. Why does Anna Mikhaylovna want to take Boris to visit Pierre's father, Count Bezuhov?
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)