|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-4 | Part 4, Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
(b) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
(c) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
(d) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
2. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(b) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(c) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(d) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
3. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
(a) It is the old Count's birthday.
(b) It is the name day of the Countess and her daughter, Natasha.
(c) It is Natasha's birthday.
(d) It is Oktoberfest.
4. What does Count Rostov do when his wife asks him for a large sum of money, 500 rubles?
(a) He gets furious and calls her a spendthrift.
(b) He ignores her and walks away.
(c) He asks their steward to bring 700 rubles.
(d) He begins to weep because they don't have it to spare.
5. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
(a) He is so distressed at the whole thing that he hopes he's shot.
(b) He is very confident that he will win as he is in the right.
(c) He has never shot a pistol before but refuses to apologize.
(d) He is indifferent because he is too drunk to understand the possible consequences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do after it is discovered that Denisov's money has been stolen?
2. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
3. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
4. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
5. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)