|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-4 | Part 4, Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(b) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(c) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
(d) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
2. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(b) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(c) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(d) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
3. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
(a) He is amazed at the changes in Boris and wishes to work on the staff as Boris does, planning to use a letter that will help him.
(b) He brags about his experience in the charge and the fact that everyone is very impressed with him, especially Prince Andrew.
(c) He gets drunk with Boris and Berg and enjoys himself immensely.
(d) He begins to brag about his action during Schon Graben and is cut short by Andrew who notices that he is bragging.
4. How does the Emperor receive Andrew's news about the battle?
(a) He listens to what he says, is happy, but seems to be speaking according to a script.
(b) He is very upset about casualties in the Austrian army.
(c) He pays virtually no attention to anything Andrew has to say, asking only irrelevant questions.
(d) He is happy to hear news of victory.
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(b) He needs an adjutant.
(c) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(d) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
2. Who does Tolstoy refer to as Andrew's hero after the battle at Schon Grabern?
3. Nicholas brings his friend Denisov with him and excitedly speaks as they approach. What is Denisov's reaction?
4. How does Prince Bolkonsky react to Prince Vasili and Anatole's visit?
5. How does Maria Dmitrievna respond to Natasha's insolence at the dinner table?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)