|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-4 | Part 4, Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
(a) He tells her that it is quite becoming.
(b) He gets angry with her and tells her to leave his sight.
(c) He pays no attention to it as he is not interested in such "feminine" things.
(d) He tells her in front of them that he does not approve of it and never to do it again.
2. Nicholas goes home on leave. How does he react to Sonya?
(a) He is angry that he ever told her he loved her.
(b) He is very happy to see her but is uncertain how she feels about him.
(c) He pays no attention to her whatsoever as he has decided that he has grown past their childhood romance.
(d) He is struck by how pretty she is but feels estranged from her.
3. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(b) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
(c) He's been caught with the money.
(d) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
4. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
(b) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(c) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(d) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
5. Natasha goes into the conservatory to hide when her family is first introduced. What is she waiting for?
(a) She's waiting for the guests to leave.
(b) She isn't waiting; she is merely hiding from her friends.
(c) She's waiting for Nicholas to follow Sonya so that she can see what they do.
(d) She waits for Boris to follow her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria Dmitrievna's reputation in Russian social circles?
2. Nicholas goes to visit Boris. How does the visit go for him?
3. The Rostovs are celebrating at their home in the very beginning of Book One. What is the reason for entertaining guests?
4. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
5. How does Pierre approach the duel with Dolokhov?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)