|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 8, Chapters 13-17 | Part 8, Chapters 18-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
(a) The Bezukhovs, Boris, some of Berg's military connections and the Rostovs.
(b) Pierre, the Rostovs, and Berg's superior officers.
(c) The Count and Countess Rostov, the Bezukhovs, Berg's colonel, and Boris.
(d) Pierre, the Rostovs, Boris, a general, a colonel, Andrew, and some others.
2. Natasha receives a letter. What does it say and who is it from?
(a) It is from Prince Andrew saying that he is about to return to Russia, and he has decided to marry her as soon as he returns.
(b) It is from Pierre warning her not to trust Anatole.
(c) It is from Anatole declaring his love for her and saying that he has two choices: to be loved by her or to die.
(d) It is from Anatole asking if Natasha will meet him secretly later in the evening.
3. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
(a) She finds she does not really like such large gatherings.
(b) She is extremely excited and thrilled but is soon disappointed that no one asks her to dance.
(c) She is excited to see all the beautiful people but doesn't want to dance.
(d) At first she doesn't dance but after Andrew asks her, she dances all night.
4. How does Natasha react when Anatole tells her he is in love with her?
(a) She tells him not to say that; she is engaged and in love with another man.
(b) She is overcome with delight and says nothing except that she is already engaged.
(c) She is uncomfortable at his lack of propriety, and questions how he could be in love with someone he's only just met the day before.
(d) She is flattered and presses his hand.
5. Princess Mary leaves her father's study after speaking with him about the Kuragins. What occurs very shortly after that?
(a) She confides in Mlle. Bourienne that she thinks Anatole is handsome and hopes he will propose.
(b) She goes to her room weeping in the knowledge that no one will ever want to marry such a plain young woman as she.
(c) She discovers Anatole in the conservatory with his arm around Mlle. Bourienne.
(d) She goes to talk with Lise, asking her what married life is like.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
2. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
3. Who assists Anatole in his abduction of Natasha?
4. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
5. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)