|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 8, Chapters 13-17 | Part 8, Chapters 18-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
(a) He likes Berg being business-like about it and then he offers him 20,000 rubles in ready money and a note for 80,000 rubles.
(b) He brushes off the matter saying he must consult his steward.
(c) He says he is glad Berg is direct and offers him 80,000 rubles in ready money.
(d) He offers him 30,000 rubles in cash and 50,000 rubles as a note of hand.
2. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
(a) He pays no attention; he is preoccupied with a problem with his steward.
(b) He is pleased that Nicholas has won so much money.
(c) He is excited as he had feared Nicholas would ask him for more money but with such a large win, Nicholas will not need it.
(d) He initially is agitated but regains his composure, says it will be difficult to raise the money, and leaves the room.
3. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
(a) He wanted to contribute but couldn't. He hopes to act on his own and achieve the glory he longs for.
(b) He is consumed with fear that he may die the next day.
(c) He is bored by the discussion, wants to change the entire plan.
(d) He is shocked at Kutuzov's inattention to it and resents the lack of opportunity to state his ideas.
4. Who does Dolokhov propose to?
(d) Helene Bezukhova.
5. Why does Kutuzov request Andrew to work with him?
(a) He wants to keep an eye on him.
(b) He knew Andrew's father and knows Andrew to be a good soldier.
(c) He wants Andrew to keep command of the troops as he (Kutuzov) is elderly.
(d) He needs an adjutant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew goes to visit Pierre the night after the Bergs party. What does he discuss with him?
2. Natasha goes to her first grand ball. How does it go for her?
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
4. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
5. Vera and Berg hold their first party. Who comes?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)