|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 8, Chapters 13-17 | Part 8, Chapters 18-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his proposal to Vera, Berg comes to visit Count Rostov about Vera's dowry. What does the Count say to him?
(a) He likes Berg being business-like about it and then he offers him 20,000 rubles in ready money and a note for 80,000 rubles.
(b) He offers him 30,000 rubles in cash and 50,000 rubles as a note of hand.
(c) He says he is glad Berg is direct and offers him 80,000 rubles in ready money.
(d) He brushes off the matter saying he must consult his steward.
2. General Kutuzov does not want his troops to present themselves to the Austrian general in their great coats. Why?
(a) He wants to impress on the general how unprepared they are for war.
(b) He wants the general to see how worn out their boots are from marching so far.
(c) He wants the general to see that they are cold.
(d) He wants to insult the general by showing he does not care enough to present his troops in the best condition.
3. How does the old Prince Bolkonski react to Marya Dmitrievna's visit?
(a) He loudly refuses to see her.
(b) He is out discussing political reform at the time.
(c) He shouts at her.
(d) He is unexpectedly very pleasant, but tells her he will not change his mind about Andrew's wedding.
4. How does Count Rostov react when he hears about Nicholas' card game?
(a) He is excited as he had feared Nicholas would ask him for more money but with such a large win, Nicholas will not need it.
(b) He pays no attention; he is preoccupied with a problem with his steward.
(c) He is pleased that Nicholas has won so much money.
(d) He initially is agitated but regains his composure, says it will be difficult to raise the money, and leaves the room.
5. After the affair of the stolen money, why is Nicholas ordered to apologize to his regiment?
(a) His commanding officer wants to humble him as he thinks he's too proud.
(b) He's been caught with the money.
(c) He is being used as an example for other troublemakers.
(d) His accusing a fellow officer of theft could disgrace his regiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Anatole from openly courting Natasha?
2. Princess Mary has her hair done in a different style for the guests. How does her father react to her?
3. Why does General Mack go to Kutuzov's camp?
4. There is a lot of confusion on the bridge as the Russians try to cross it. What is their rush?
5. After the Council of War before the battle of Austerlitz, Prince Andrew reflects on what is being said. What are his thoughts?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)