|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 8-15 | Part 11, Chapters 16-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(b) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(c) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
(d) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
2. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(b) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
(c) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
(d) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
3. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
(b) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(c) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
(d) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
4. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
(a) He is a man who means well and is generally kind.
(b) He is a bit brutal with a close eye on how people perceive his actions.
(c) He is a dutiful servant of the Tsar's.
(d) He is a very cruel man who has no regard for anyone.
5. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
(b) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(c) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
(d) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
2. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
3. Andrew has been taken prisoner by the French. What do they do with him?
4. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
5. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)