|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 8-15 | Part 11, Chapters 16-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(b) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(c) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
(d) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
2. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
(a) A portion of a fence.
(b) A line of stakes set in the ground behind which artillery is positioned.
(c) A border between one army and another.
(d) Soldiers set apart from a main army to guard them from surprise attack.
3. What news does Pierre hear from Rostopchin and his adjutant when he arrives back in Moscow after Borodino?
(a) Andrew is mortally wounded, and Moscow is being deserted.
(b) Anatole and Andrew have been killed and Helene is planning to marry again.
(c) Anatole has had his leg amputated and Helene is leaving Russia for Europe.
(d) Anatole is dying and Helene has converted to Catholicism.
4. Why does Nicholas need to whisper to his wolf hound?
(a) He does not want the wolf to hear him calling.
(b) He doesn't want the other hunts men to hear.
(c) He doesn't want the other hounds to hear him call to his hound.
(d) All of the above.
5. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
(a) He is amazed at how crude and unlike European cities it is and wants to raze it and make it like a European city.
(b) He looks upon it as a unique city but does not care if its barbaric architecture is saved or preserved.
(c) He is struck by its strange beauty and unique architecture and wants to give its people a good government.
(d) He regards it with deference but is determined to alter as many of its architectural flaws as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Nicholas for the wolf hunt?
2. How does Natasha behave at Ilagin's?
3. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
4. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
5. Who arrives at the Rostov's home in Moscow after they have left?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)