|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 11, Chapters 8-15 | Part 11, Chapters 16-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas handle his family's financial problems?
(a) Though he comes home to offer support, he is unable to do anything.
(b) He gets upset with his mother for begging him to come back to help when he knows nothing about such things.
(c) He goes to speak to the steward, gets very angry, and kicks him out the door.
(d) He gets upset with his father for mismanaging their estates.
2. After the battle at Borodino, where does Pierre stay the night?
(a) He returns to Moscow that night.
(b) He sleeps in his carriage.
(c) He sleeps in a field.
(d) He goes to one of his nearby estates.
3. What happens with Prince Andrew during the battle at Austerlitz?
(a) He sees the Tsar and requests him to leave the field of battle.
(b) He rides alongside the retreating army ordering them to turn back.
(c) He sees Kutuzov has a head wound and takes him to be treated.
(d) He runs yelling "Forward, lads!", picks up the fallen standard, and is shot in the head.
4. Nicholas encounters the Princes Bagration and Dolgorukov. What is their conversation?
(a) He asks if he may be attached to the first squadron and they ask if he is Count Ilya Rostov's son.
(b) He asks if they have seen any sign of the fog clearing, and they reply that it should clear in the morning.
(c) He asks if they have seen any movement of the French and they ignore him.
(d) He asks if he may go to the front and they deny his request saying that he is needed in reserve.
5. What makes Nicholas decide to return home on leave?
(a) His mother writes him a pleading letter.
(b) Sonya writes to him saying she is releasing him from his promise to marry her.
(c) His father writes to him saying that he is afraid Mitenka, their steward, is cheating him but does not know how to prove it.
(d) The countess begs him to come home to cheer up Natasha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas is patrolling the picket lines. What is a picket?
2. Who is Ilagin?
3. What sort of man is Rostopchin?
4. How does Napoleon regard Moscow before he and his troops enter the city?
5. Nicholas is told to give a message to the Tsar. What happens after that?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)