|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator's brother not very concerned about the narrator at first?
2. From the ruined house, the narrator sees that the Martian "tripods" actually have how many legs?
3. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
4. Who ultimately kills the men who are attacking the two women?
5. What does the narrator see the Martians do from the ruined house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
Essay Topic 3
When was this novel written? Examine what major events occurred in England around this time, and how they may have influenced this book.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)