|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first man get into the pit?
2. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
3. Who is Ogilvy?
4. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
5. What two emotions does the narrator experience after the first Martian appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
2. What does Ogilvy observe about the object when he first sees it?
3. How does the narrator's brother respond when he hears rumors that food supplies may soon arrive? What does this reveal about him?
4. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
5. Why does the newspaper editor in London refuse to print a story about the Martians?
6. Why do scientists think that Mars cannot support life?
7. How do people in Woking initially react to news of the Martian attack?
8. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
9. Describe what the Martians look like.
10. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does this novel show that crisis reveals a person's true character?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Martians choose Earth as a target for their invasion?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)