|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
3. Who is Ogilvy?
4. Who is Henderson?
5. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
2. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
3. As the narrator walks from the ruined house toward London, what does he see, and how does this affect his attitude?
4. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
5. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
6. Why is the narrator disappointed the second time in the story that he interacts with the artilleryman?
7. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
8. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
9. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
10. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze how H.G. Wells uses symbolism in War of the Worlds.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author's use of foreshadowing in War of the Worlds, and what role this technique plays in the narrative.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)