|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marshall?
2. What color are the gas jets?
3. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
4. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
5. What two emotions does the narrator experience after the first Martian appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
2. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
3. What is the state of the narrator's relationship with the curate when they stay in Halliford, and why?
4. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
5. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
6. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
7. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
8. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
9. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
10. Describe what the Martians look like.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's use of foreshadowing in War of the Worlds, and what role this technique plays in the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)