|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
2. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
3. How does the first man get into the pit?
4. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
5. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
2. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
3. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
4. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
5. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
6. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
7. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
8. What weapon do the Martians use when the first cylinder opens, and how does this change the story?
9. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
10. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Martians choose Earth as a target for their invasion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's use of foreshadowing in War of the Worlds, and what role this technique plays in the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)