|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
2. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
3. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
4. What does the word "canard" mean?
5. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
2. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
3. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
4. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
5. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
6. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
7. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
8. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
9. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
10. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Martians choose Earth as a target for their invasion?
Essay Topic 2
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the humans think they are immune from a Martian attack? Be specific, and give at least five reasons.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)