|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ogilvy?
2. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
3. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
4. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
5. What is the name of the narrator's local newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
2. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
3. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
4. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
5. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
6. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
7. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
8. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
9. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
10. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is War of the Worlds a social commentary?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)