|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
2. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
3. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
4. Where does the narrator hide when he sees The Thing?
5. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
2. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
3. Why is the narrator disappointed the second time in the story that he interacts with the artilleryman?
4. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
5. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
6. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
7. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
8. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
9. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
10. How does the narrator get across the Thames? What does this show about his character?
Essay Topic 1
Based on the character of the curate, what do you think H.G. Wells is trying to say about religion in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
When was this novel written? Examine what major events occurred in England around this time, and how they may have influenced this book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)