|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
2. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
3. What does the narrator see in the sky as he goes to town on his way back from the inn?
4. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
5. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
2. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
3. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
4. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
5. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
6. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
7. What happens to the house in Halliford, and why is this important?
8. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
9. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
10. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What advantages do the Martians have over the humans, and vice versa?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of the artilleryman and what you think he is meant to represent.
Essay Topic 3
When was this novel written? Examine what major events occurred in England around this time, and how they may have influenced this book.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)