|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
2. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
3. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
4. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
5. How far is Mars from Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
2. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
3. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
4. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
5. What happens to the house in Halliford, and why is this important?
6. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
7. Why is the narrator disappointed the second time in the story that he interacts with the artilleryman?
8. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
9. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
10. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the humans think they are immune from a Martian attack? Be specific, and give at least five reasons.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is War of the Worlds a social commentary?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)