|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
3. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
4. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
5. What disability does Henderson have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
2. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
3. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
4. Describe what the Martians look like.
5. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
6. What happens to the house in Halliford, and why is this important?
7. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
8. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
9. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
10. How does the narrator get across the Thames? What does this show about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What purposes does the narrator's brother serve as a character?
Essay Topic 2Explain how War of the Worlds fits the traditional plot structure of a novel.
Essay Topic 3Why do you think the author chooses not to give the narrator a name? What effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)