|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
2. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
3. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
4. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
5. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
2. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
3. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
4. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
5. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
6. Describe what the Martians look like.
7. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
8. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
9. How does the narrator's brother respond when he hears rumors that food supplies may soon arrive? What does this reveal about him?
10. What does Ogilvy observe about the object when he first sees it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
What purposes does the narrator's brother serve as a character?
Essay Topic 3
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)