|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
2. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
3. Why does Ogilvy think it is impossible for the Martians to become established on Earth?
4. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
5. What does the word "canard" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
2. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
3. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
4. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
5. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
6. Describe what the Martians look like.
7. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
8. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
9. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
10. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does this novel show that crisis reveals a person's true character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using the flashback technique in general, and specifically in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What advantages do the Martians have over the humans, and vice versa?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)