|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
2. What is a "sapper?"
3. What color are the gas jets?
4. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
5. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
2. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
3. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
4. What does the Thunder Child do to the Martian tripods? How does this change the story?
5. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
6. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
7. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
8. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
9. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
10. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the character of the curate, what do you think H.G. Wells is trying to say about religion in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What purposes does the narrator's brother serve as a character?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)