|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's local newspaper?
2. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
3. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
5. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Thunder Child do to the Martian tripods? How does this change the story?
2. What weapon do the Martians use when the first cylinder opens, and how does this change the story?
3. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
4. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
5. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
6. How do those who first see the cylinder feel about it in general, and why do they feel this way?
7. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
8. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
9. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
10. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of the artilleryman and what you think he is meant to represent.
Essay Topic 2
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the character of the curate, what do you think H.G. Wells is trying to say about religion in this novel?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)