|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the young boy yelling in the middle of town on the Friday evening after the cylinder crashes?
2. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
3. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
4. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
5. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
2. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
3. Describe what the Martians look like.
4. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
5. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
6. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
7. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
8. How do those who first see the cylinder feel about it in general, and why do they feel this way?
9. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
10. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze how H.G. Wells uses symbolism in War of the Worlds.
Essay Topic 2
Why do the humans think they are immune from a Martian attack? Be specific, and give at least five reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)