Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
2. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
5. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
2. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
3. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
4. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
5. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
6. Why does the newspaper editor in London refuse to print a story about the Martians?
7. Describe what the Martians look like.
8. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
9. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
10. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Martians choose Earth as a target for their invasion?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of the artilleryman and what you think he is meant to represent.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)