|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
2. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
3. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
4. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
5. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
2. Describe what the Martians look like.
3. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
4. As the narrator walks from the ruined house toward London, what does he see, and how does this affect his attitude?
5. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
6. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
7. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
8. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
9. What is the state of the narrator's relationship with the curate when they stay in Halliford, and why?
10. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of the artilleryman and what you think he is meant to represent.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how War of the Worlds fits the traditional plot structure of a novel.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)