|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
2. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
3. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
4. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
5. What color is the first Martian's skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
2. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
3. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
4. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
5. How do those who first see the cylinder feel about it in general, and why do they feel this way?
6. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
7. How does the narrator get across the Thames? What does this show about his character?
8. Why do scientists think that Mars cannot support life?
9. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
10. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Martians in detail, and explain why they are so different from humans.
Essay Topic 2
When was this novel written? Examine what major events occurred in England around this time, and how they may have influenced this book.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is War of the Worlds a social commentary?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)