|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
2. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
3. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
4. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
5. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
2. As the narrator walks from the ruined house toward London, what does he see, and how does this affect his attitude?
3. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
4. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
5. What does Ogilvy observe about the object when he first sees it?
6. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
7. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
8. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
9. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
10. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the author discusses discrimination in War of the Worlds.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the character of the curate, what do you think H.G. Wells is trying to say about religion in this novel?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)