|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
2. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
3. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
4. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
5. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
2. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
3. How do people in Woking initially react to news of the Martian attack?
4. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
5. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
6. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
7. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
8. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
9. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
10. Describe what the Martians look like.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
Essay Topic 3
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)