|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
2. What are the little boys doing to the cylinder the morning after it crashes?
3. What color is the first Martian's skin?
4. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
5. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
2. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
3. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
4. What does Ogilvy think is twisting off the top of the cylinder?
5. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
6. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
7. Why does the newspaper editor in London refuse to print a story about the Martians?
8. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
9. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
10. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Martians in detail, and explain why they are so different from humans.
Essay Topic 2
How does this novel show that crisis reveals a person's true character?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the ending of War of Worlds iseffective? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)