|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
2. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
3. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
4. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
5. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
2. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
3. How do people in Woking initially react to news of the Martian attack?
4. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
5. What is the state of the narrator's relationship with the curate when they stay in Halliford, and why?
6. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
7. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
8. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
9. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
10. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of mythological and Biblical allusions in this novel, and explain what purpose they serve.
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Martians choose Earth as a target for their invasion?
Essay Topic 3
How and why do people use a crisis for personal gain in War of the Worlds?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)