|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
2. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
3. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
4. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
5. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
2. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
3. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
4. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
5. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
6. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
7. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
8. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
9. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
10. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is War of the Worlds a social commentary?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Martians in detail, and explain why they are so different from humans.
Essay Topic 3
What purposes does the narrator's brother serve as a character?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)