|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
2. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
3. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
4. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
5. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
2. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
3. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
4. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
5. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
6. How does the narrator's brother respond when he hears rumors that food supplies may soon arrive? What does this reveal about him?
7. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
8. What weapon do the Martians use when the first cylinder opens, and how does this change the story?
9. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
10. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the author discusses discrimination in War of the Worlds.
Essay Topic 2
What advantages do the Martians have over the humans, and vice versa?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Martians in detail, and explain why they are so different from humans.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)