|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) Ten hours.
2. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) They want to find other people.
(b) They hear gunfire.
(c) The Martians are getting closer.
(d) Soldiers tell them to leave.
3. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
4. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
5. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
(a) A metal shield.
(b) A tree trunk.
(c) A mound of sand.
(d) A group of soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
2. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
3. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
4. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
5. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
2. How does the Martian invasion begin and how do people generally react?
3. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
4. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
5. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
6. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
7. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
8. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
9. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
10. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)