|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 140,000 miles.
(b) 160,000 miles.
(c) 140 million miles.
(d) 160 million miles.
2. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
(a) He loses something valuable.
(b) He is forced to run from Martians.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He is knocked unconscious.
3. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
(b) Temperature cooling.
4. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
5. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses tools that he found.
(b) He has paddles.
(c) He uses his hands.
(d) He uses sticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
2. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
4. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
5. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
2. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
3. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
4. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
5. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
6. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
7. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
8. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
9. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
10. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)