|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They become angry at the visitors.
(b) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
(c) They become very alarmed.
(d) They insist on calling the military for help.
2. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
3. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
(a) He is forced to run from Martians.
(b) He loses something valuable.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He is knocked unconscious.
4. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
5. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
(a) A soldier.
(c) A construction worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
2. What is a Deputation?
3. Who is Ogilvy?
4. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
5. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Martians look like.
2. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
3. What is the state of the narrator's relationship with the curate when they stay in Halliford, and why?
4. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
5. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
6. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
7. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
8. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
9. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
10. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)