|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He makes plans to leave town.
(b) He heads back to the crash site.
(c) He decides to hide.
(d) He panics.
2. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(b) A Martian.
3. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are captured by Martians.
(c) They are crushed.
(d) They are shot.
4. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
(a) A British flag.
(b) A peace sign.
(c) A white flag.
(d) A heart.
5. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ogilvy?
2. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
3. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
4. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
5. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
2. What does the narrator's brother do for the women in the carriage? What does this reveal about his character?
3. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
4. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
5. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
6. How does the narrator get across the Thames? What does this show about his character?
7. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
8. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
9. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
10. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)