|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
2. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) A Martian tripod.
(b) A new Martian weapon.
(c) A dead Martian.
(d) The heat ray.
3. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(b) They want to find other people.
(c) They hear gunfire.
(d) The Martians are getting closer.
4. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(c) A Martian.
5. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
2. What is a curate?
3. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
4. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
5. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
2. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
3. What does the narrator's brother do for the women in the carriage? What does this reveal about his character?
4. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
5. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
6. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
7. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
8. How does the narrator's brother respond when he hears rumors that food supplies may soon arrive? What does this reveal about him?
9. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
10. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)