Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord Vasser.
(b) Lord Hilton.
(c) Lord Harrington.
(d) Lord William.
2. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every week.
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(a) One hundred.
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses tools that he found.
(b) He has paddles.
(c) He uses sticks.
(d) He uses his hands.
5. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A tank.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A shell.
(d) A bomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
2. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
3. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
4. What is a Deputation?
5. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
2. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
3. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
4. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
5. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
6. Why does the newspaper editor in London refuse to print a story about the Martians?
7. Describe what the Martians look like.
8. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
9. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
10. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)