|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(c) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
2. What color is the first Martian's skin?
3. What is a curate?
(a) A clergyman.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A judge.
4. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 45 million miles.
(b) 20 million miles.
(c) 15 million miles.
(d) 35 million miles.
5. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
3. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
4. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
5. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the narrator's relationship with the curate when they stay in Halliford, and why?
2. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
3. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
4. What does the Thunder Child do to the Martian tripods? How does this change the story?
5. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
6. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
7. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
8. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
9. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
10. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)