|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) They want to find other people.
(b) They hear gunfire.
(c) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(d) The Martians are getting closer.
2. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
(a) His horse fell.
(b) He was discharged.
(c) They abadoned him.
(d) He ran away.
3. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to gather his possessions.
(b) He wants to see the Martians die.
(c) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(d) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
4. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
(a) A lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
5. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A card game.
(c) A worthless object.
(d) A false story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the little boys doing to the cylinder the morning after it crashes?
2. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
3. How does the first man get into the pit?
4. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
5. What two emotions does the narrator experience after the first Martian appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
2. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
3. What does Ogilvy observe about the object when he first sees it?
4. Describe what the Martians look like.
5. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
6. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
7. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
8. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
9. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
10. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)