|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Henderson?
(a) An astronomer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A blacksmith.
2. Why is the young boy yelling in the middle of town on the Friday evening after the cylinder crashes?
(a) He is alarmed about the Martians.
(b) He is selling newspapers.
(c) He is just trying to get attention.
(d) He is trying to cause trouble.
3. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(a) A confused noise.
(c) A scream.
(d) A cry for help.
4. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
5. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Weapons and food.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Food and whiskey.
(d) Food and the narrator's dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
2. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
3. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
4. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
5. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's brother do for the women in the carriage? What does this reveal about his character?
2. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
3. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
4. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
5. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
6. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
7. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
8. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
9. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
10. What does the narrator discover about the Martian machines as he watches from the ruined house?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)