|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Deputation?
(a) A group of delegates.
(b) A group of soldiers.
(c) A group of journalists.
(d) A group of police officers.
2. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(d) A Martian.
3. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Boarding up their houses.
(b) Standing in line for food.
(c) Calmly packing their things.
(d) Frantically evacuating.
4. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
5. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 15 million miles.
(b) 35 million miles.
(c) 20 million miles.
(d) 45 million miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
2. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
3. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
4. What do the people near the cylinder hear coming from inside of it at the end of the first day after the cylinder crashes?
5. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator plan to do when he hears the dog, and what does this show about his situation?
2. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
3. What does the black tube weapon reveal about the Martian's intentions?
4. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
5. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
6. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
7. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
8. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
9. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
10. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)