|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
2. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) A Martian tripod.
(b) A dead Martian.
(c) The heat ray.
(d) A new Martian weapon.
3. Who is Henderson?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) An astronomer.
4. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
(a) The underworld.
5. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(b) The Martians are getting closer.
(c) They hear gunfire.
(d) They want to find other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
2. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
3. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
5. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
2. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
3. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
4. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
5. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
6. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
7. After the narrator walks toward the dead Martian, what does he see, and why is this important?
8. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
9. What happened to the narrator directly after discovering the invasion is over?
10. What does the Thunder Child do to the Martian tripods? How does this change the story?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)