|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see in the sky as he goes to town on his way back from the inn?
(a) A rocket.
(b) A third cylinder falling.
(c) A military missile.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
2. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
3. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 35 million miles.
(b) 45 million miles.
(c) 15 million miles.
(d) 20 million miles.
4. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) The long route will be safer.
(b) The direct road has been blocked.
(c) The direct road is crowded with people.
(d) There may be food on the long route.
5. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Twelve miles.
(d) Twelve blocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
2. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
3. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
4. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
5. What two emotions does the narrator experience after the first Martian appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
2. Describe what the Martians look like.
3. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
4. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
5. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
6. How does the narrator's brother respond when he hears rumors that food supplies may soon arrive? What does this reveal about him?
7. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
8. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
9. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
10. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)