|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Five yards.
(b) Thirty yards.
(c) Ten yards.
(d) Twenty yards.
2. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Four hundred.
(d) One hundred
3. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
(a) He accuses them of being insane.
(b) He does not believe them.
(c) He says that he saw the same things they did.
(d) He says that he will protect them.
4. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(b) The Martians are getting closer.
(c) They want to find other people.
(d) They hear gunfire.
5. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
Short Answer Questions
1. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
2. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
3. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
5. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people think is in the cylinder when they first gather on the common? Why do you think this is so?
2. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
3. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
4. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
5. Why does the newspaper editor in London refuse to print a story about the Martians?
6. What does the "Committee of Public Safety" do to the narrator's brother, and what does this reveal about human nature?
7. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
8. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
9. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
10. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)