|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) In a house.
(b) In the sewer.
(c) Under a pile of leaves.
(d) Under dead bodies.
2. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(b) He wants to see the Martians die.
(c) He wants to gather his possessions.
(d) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
3. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He is deaf in one ear.
(b) He cannot walk.
(c) He has a speech impediment.
(d) He cannot move one of his arms.
4. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A card game.
(b) A worthless object.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A false story.
5. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are very curious about what is happening.
(b) They have not taken much notice of it.
(c) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(d) They are demanding action from the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
2. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
3. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
4. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
5. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
2. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
3. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
4. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
5. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
6. How do people feel about the Martians when they first see them? When and why does this change?
7. What does the narrator's brother do for the women in the carriage? What does this reveal about his character?
8. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
9. What fact do scientists overlook when considering whether Mars can support life?
10. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)