|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
2. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(b) A missle.
(c) A Martian.
(d) Green smoke.
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(c) One hundred.
4. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) He jumps in.
(c) He slips on the edge.
(d) The crowd pushes him in.
5. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A firing squad.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A tank.
(d) A shell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
2. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
3. Who is Henderson?
4. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
5. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
2. After the narrator walks toward the dead Martian, what does he see, and why is this important?
3. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
4. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
5. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
6. Describe what the Martians look like.
7. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
8. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
9. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
10. Why do scientists think that Mars cannot support life?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)