|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator hide when he sees The Thing?
(a) In a shack.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) Under a piece of wood.
(d) Behind a tree.
2. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) The direct road has been blocked.
(b) The direct road is crowded with people.
(c) There may be food on the long route.
(d) The long route will be safer.
3. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(a) A missle.
(c) Green smoke.
(d) A Martian.
4. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(a) A confused noise.
(b) A scream.
(d) A cry for help.
5. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
3. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
4. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
5. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
2. How does the narrator's brother initially feel about the narrator's safety, and why?
3. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
4. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
5. What kind of newspaper coverage does the cylinder receive on the second day? What might this predict?
6. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
7. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
8. How is the curate acting when the narrator first meets him? What does this show about him?
9. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
10. Why might the narrator have included the story about his brother?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)