|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Study it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Dig it out.
(d) Open it.
2. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) A tree trunk.
(c) A metal shield.
(d) A mound of sand.
3. What can survive the heat ray?
4. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
5. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Evacuate Immediately.
(b) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(c) Message Received From Mars.
(d) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a curate?
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
3. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
4. What do the people near the cylinder hear coming from inside of it at the end of the first day after the cylinder crashes?
5. What color are the gas jets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ogilvy think is twisting off the top of the cylinder?
2. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
3. Why are the milkman and the train reassuring to the narrator after the first heat-ray?
4. What does Ogilvy observe about the object when he first sees it?
5. How do people react when Ogilvy runs to the village for help, and why?
6. When the curate and the narrator are first trapped in the ruined house, how does their conflict begin to intensify?
7. What kills the Martians and why is this significant?
8. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
9. After the narrator walks toward the dead Martian, what does he see, and why is this important?
10. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)