|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
2. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
3. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses sticks.
(b) He uses tools that he found.
(c) He has paddles.
(d) He uses his hands.
4. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
5. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Standing in line for food.
(b) Frantically evacuating.
(c) Calmly packing their things.
(d) Boarding up their houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
2. Why is the young boy yelling in the middle of town on the Friday evening after the cylinder crashes?
3. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
4. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
5. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
2. What happens in the ruined house that makes the narrator hide in the basement?
3. What weapon do the Martians use when the first cylinder opens, and how does this change the story?
4. Describe what the Martians look like.
5. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
6. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
7. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
8. What are the citizens of Weybridge doing when the narrator and artilleryman arrive?
9. What is the significance of the artilleryman's story?
10. How do people in Woking initially react to news of the Martian attack?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)