|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(b) A Martian.
(c) Green smoke.
(d) A missle.
2. What is a Deputation?
(a) A group of journalists.
(b) A group of police officers.
(c) A group of delegates.
(d) A group of soldiers.
3. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Weapons and food.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Food and whiskey.
(d) Food and the narrator's dog.
4. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
(a) The Martians do not see him.
(b) A soldier helps him get away.
(c) He fights with them.
(d) He hides in the water.
5. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
2. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
3. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
4. How far is Mars from Earth?
5. Who is Ogilvy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the lesson of his story in the Epilogue?
2. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
3. Why does the narrator walk toward the Martian down the road after leaving the pub?
4. What happens to the house in Halliford, and why is this important?
5. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
6. Describe the object that the narrator refers to as "The Thing."
7. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
8. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
9. Describe what the Martians look like.
10. After the narrator walks toward the dead Martian, what does he see, and why is this important?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)