|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see in the sky as he goes to town on his way back from the inn?
(a) A military missile.
(b) A rocket.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A third cylinder falling.
2. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
3. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
(a) One hundred
(b) Four hundred.
(d) One thousand.
4. What can survive the heat ray?
5. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A laborer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) An astronomer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
2. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
3. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
4. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
5. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find when he leaves the ruined house? What does this indicate?
2. How far does news of the heat-ray spread after the first attack? What does this indicate?
3. What happens to one of the Martian tripods at the Thames River? What is the significance of this event?
4. How do those who first see the cylinder feel about it in general, and why do they feel this way?
5. When the narrator returns to town after the first heat-ray, how do people react to the news he brings?
6. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
7. How does the narrator attempt to reassure himself and his wife when he returns home after the first heat-ray?
8. What is different about the flaming gas jets from usual shooting stars, and what do people think they are at first?
9. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
10. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)