|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) Under London.
(b) The ocean.
(c) A river.
(d) The common.
2. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
3. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
4. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
(a) Four hundred.
(c) One hundred
(d) One thousand.
5. Where does the narrator hide when he sees The Thing?
(a) In a ditch.
(b) Behind a tree.
(c) Under a piece of wood.
(d) In a shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
2. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
3. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
4. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
5. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right after the Martians first use the heat-ray, what do people know about how the weapon works?
2. How does the narrator get across the Thames? What does this show about his character?
3. What happens to the man who rents out the horse and cart to the narrator? What message is this event supposed to send to the reader?
4. What new weapon do the Martians reveal in Surrey? What does this reveal about Martian technology?
5. Why does the narrator start walking toward London when he leaves the ruined house?
6. What does Ogilvy think is twisting off the top of the cylinder?
7. As the curate and narrator fight for position at the opening in the ruined house, what do they see, and how does the narrator react?
8. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
9. Describe the narrator's experience when he goes back to his house after the invasion.
10. Why does the author take his wife to his cousin's house? What is the state of the town at that point?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)