|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(b) A cry for help.
(c) A scream.
(d) A confused noise.
2. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He has a speech impediment.
(b) He is deaf in one ear.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) He cannot move one of his arms.
3. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to see the Martians die.
(b) He wants to gather his possessions.
(c) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(d) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
4. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) Under dead bodies.
(b) In a house.
(c) In the sewer.
(d) Under a pile of leaves.
5. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
Short Answer Questions
1. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
2. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
3. Who is Ogilvy?
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
5. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a group of people attempt to do just before the Heat-Ray? Why doesn't this work?
2. After the narrator walks toward the dead Martian, what does he see, and why is this important?
3. When the narrator returns to the common on the second day, who is in the pit? What are they doing and why?
4. How do those who first see the cylinder feel about it in general, and why do they feel this way?
5. What weapon do the Martians use when the first cylinder opens, and how does this change the story?
6. When the narrator first meets the artilleryman, what does the soldier say happened to his unit?
7. Who does the narrator find on Putney Hill, and what do they discuss?
8. Why does the narrator hit the curate with the meat chopper?
9. What is the narrator's theory about why the Martians come to Earth?
10. How does the narrator describe the Martian's internal anatomy?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)