|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Martian repair his tripod during the Martian attack of Surrey?
(a) He kills everyone nearby and then repairs it.
(b) The other Martians protect him.
(c) He does not.
(d) He can repair it from inside.
2. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
(a) A tavern.
(b) A trench.
(c) The Sleeping Dog Inn.
(d) Wimbledon Common.
3. As he watches from the ruined house, the narrator sees a Martian pick up a person from where?
(a) A cart.
(b) A bush.
(c) A cage.
(d) A house.
4. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
(a) The backyard.
(b) The basement.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) The scullery.
5. Where is the curate's body before the Martians take it?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The bedroom.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
6. How does the narrator get to Woking near the end of the conflict?
(a) He walks.
(b) A train.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A horse.
7. What does the Martian cry sound like?
(a) "Ulla, ulla."
(b) "Yip, yip."
(c) "Baru, baru."
(d) "Ack, ack."
8. What is the name of the song that the narrator invents?
(a) The Last One Standing.
(b) The Invincible Man.
(c) The One Survivor.
(d) The Last Man Alive.
9. What does the narrator's brother study in college?
10. What direction do the Martians head after they attack Surrey?
11. About how many dead Martians does the narrator see after he hears the Martian cry?
(a) One hundred.
(b) One thousand.
12. What are the people coming back from the south of London saying?
(a) The Martians are coming.
(b) There is nothing to worry about.
(c) People are evacuating.
(d) They are trapped.
13. What does the narrator start calling the tripods when he travels with the curate?
(a) Death machines.
(c) Martian fighting machines.
14. What does the soldier want to do in order to ensure his survival?
(a) Build an underground colony.
(b) Hide in a nearby house.
(c) Find other members of the military.
(d) Flee to Ireland.
15. Where is the first house in which the curate and narrator take refuge?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
2. How long do the curate and the narrator hide in the house before the narrator hits the curate?
3. How does the narrator feel when he first leaves the ruined house?
4. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
5. Why does the curate go with the narrator after they leave the first house?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)