|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what time does the Martian attack of Surrey start?
(a) 8:00 PM.
(b) 3:00 PM.
(c) 11:00 AM.
2. What is the soldier holding when the narrator finds him the second time?
(b) A spear.
(c) A machete.
(d) A gun.
3. What does the soldier want to do in order to ensure his survival?
(a) Find other members of the military.
(b) Build an underground colony.
(c) Hide in a nearby house.
(d) Flee to Ireland.
4. Where is the first house in which the curate and narrator take refuge?
5. How does the narrator get into a yard near the ruined house?
(a) He climbs the fence.
(b) He breaks into the house in front of it.
(c) He knocks down a wall.
(d) He goes around a wall.
6. Where is the curate's body before the Martians take it?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The living room.
(d) The bedroom.
7. What do the Martians eat?
(b) Rocks and other minerals.
(c) Small animals.
8. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
(a) The backyard.
(b) The scullery.
(c) The basement.
(d) He doesn't.
9. How is the soldier described who travels with the narrator?
10. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
(b) Materials to build dwellings.
(c) Small animals.
11. What does the narrator start calling the tripods when he travels with the curate?
(b) Martian fighting machines.
(c) Death machines.
12. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
(a) It has been destroyed.
(b) It has been robbed.
(c) Someone was staying there.
(d) No one has been in it since he left.
13. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
(a) There is a small window.
(b) There is an opening in the wall.
(c) He can't.
(d) He opens the door.
14. What does the new weapon do that the Martians reveal at Surrey?
(a) It knocks down enemy vehicles.
(b) It emits toxic smoke.
(c) It works as a mounted gun on the tripods.
(d) It shoots fire.
15. What are the four tripods carrying when they join the initial Martian attack on Surrey?
(b) Sharp blades.
(c) Large black tubes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author risk his safety on his tenth day in the ruined house?
2. How does the narrator say many people were acting towards each other during the Martian invasion?
3. How much does the curate sleep when he and the narrator are hiding in the ruined house?
4. Why is the narrator's brother not very concerned about the narrator at first?
5. As he watches from the ruined house, the narrator sees a Martian pick up a person from where?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)