|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The military is on the way there.
(b) The Martians have taken it over.
(c) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
(d) The military has killed the Martians there.
2. What does the Martian cry sound like?
(a) "Yip, yip."
(b) "Ack, ack."
(c) "Ulla, ulla."
(d) "Baru, baru."
3. Where does the narrator hear a Martian crying out?
4. About how many dead Martians does the narrator see after he hears the Martian cry?
(a) One hundred.
(c) One thousand.
5. What color is the weed that seems to be everywhere around the ruined house?
6. What does the narrator start calling the tripods when he travels with the curate?
(b) Martian fighting machines.
(d) Death machines.
7. How is the narrator's brother able to help the two women subdue their attackers?
(a) He shoots them.
(b) He is an expert boxer.
(c) He helps them ride away.
(d) He bribes them to leave the women alone.
8. What does the Martian tentacle reach into the ruined house and take?
(a) A piece of glass.
(b) A doorknob.
(c) A chair leg.
(d) A lump of coal.
9. What is the Thunder Child?
(a) A large gun.
(b) A warship.
(c) A tank.
(d) A horse.
10. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
(a) Materials to build dwellings.
(b) Small animals.
11. Where does the narrator search for food after leaving the ruined house?
(a) Another house.
(b) A squirrel's den.
(c) A garden.
(d) A shed.
12. What does the narrator's brother decide to do when he hears that food may be available if he waits?
(b) Go find food.
(c) Demand food from other evacuees.
(d) Keep going.
13. What are the four tripods carrying when they join the initial Martian attack on Surrey?
(b) Sharp blades.
(c) Large black tubes.
14. Why does the curate go with the narrator after they leave the first house?
(a) He does not want to be alone.
(b) He does not want the narrator to be left alone.
(c) He thinks that the narrator is a good leader.
(d) The narrator may be able to help him get home.
15. About what time does the Martian attack of Surrey start?
(b) 3:00 PM.
(c) 11:00 AM.
(d) 8:00 PM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Martians eat?
2. How many Martians initially attack nearby the night after the narrator's brother is introduced?
3. What does the narrator's brother think happens to the narrator after news reports of the Martians reach town?
4. What are the men trying to do when they attack the two women in the cart?
5. What does the narrator see the Martians do from the ruined house?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)