|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the curate's body before the Martians take it?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bedroom.
(c) The living room.
(d) The bathroom.
2. The soldier believes that the Martians have built a machine that can do what?
(a) Jump long distances.
(b) Capture humans.
(d) Plant food.
3. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
(b) The Martians have taken it over.
(c) The military is on the way there.
(d) The military has killed the Martians there.
4. How does the narrator feel when he first leaves the ruined house?
(a) Upset about what happened with the curate.
(b) Like he is under Martian control.
(c) Lonely and hopeless.
(d) Hopeful that he will find his wife.
5. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
(a) The curate is yelling at the Martians.
(b) The curate drinks the last of their supply.
(c) The curate is annoying.
(d) The curate threatens him.
6. What does the narrator's brother think happens to the narrator after news reports of the Martians reach town?
(a) He thinks that the narrator is dead.
(b) He thinks that the narrator must be hiding.
(c) He thinks that the narrator is coming for him.
(d) He thinks that the narrator escaped.
7. How does the narrator get to Woking near the end of the conflict?
(a) A horse.
(b) He walks.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A train.
8. Why does the narrator's brother fail to travel to the narrator's home?
(a) He does not have a horse.
(b) He does not want to go.
(c) He has to go to work.
(d) The trains are not running.
9. How much does the curate sleep when he and the narrator are hiding in the ruined house?
(a) Very little.
(b) All day.
(c) He and the narrator sleep in shifts throughout the day.
(d) All night.
10. What does the narrator's brother decide to do when he hears that food may be available if he waits?
(a) Keep going.
(c) Go find food.
(d) Demand food from other evacuees.
11. What does the narrator use to hit the curate in the head?
(a) A cart wheel.
(b) A meat chopper.
(c) An axe.
(d) A chair.
12. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
(a) There is a small window.
(b) He opens the door.
(c) There is an opening in the wall.
(d) He can't.
13. As he watches from the ruined house, the narrator sees a Martian pick up a person from where?
(a) A bush.
(b) A cart.
(c) A house.
(d) A cage.
14. What is the Thunder Child?
(a) A horse.
(b) A large gun.
(c) A warship.
(d) A tank.
15. What does the new weapon do that the Martians reveal at Surrey?
(a) It shoots fire.
(b) It emits toxic smoke.
(c) It works as a mounted gun on the tripods.
(d) It knocks down enemy vehicles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Martian repair his tripod during the Martian attack of Surrey?
2. What direction do the Martians head after they attack Surrey?
3. How does the author risk his safety on his tenth day in the ruined house?
4. How does the narrator say many people were acting towards each other during the Martian invasion?
5. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)