|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator search for food after leaving the ruined house?
(a) A garden.
(b) A shed.
(c) Another house.
(d) A squirrel's den.
2. The soldier believes that the Martians have built a machine that can do what?
(a) Plant food.
(b) Capture humans.
(c) Jump long distances.
3. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
(a) Someone was staying there.
(b) It has been robbed.
(c) It has been destroyed.
(d) No one has been in it since he left.
4. What does the narrator plan to do with the animal he hears outside of the house?
(a) Bait the Martians with it.
(b) Trap and eat it.
(c) Keep it for company.
(d) Save it as a present for his wife.
5. What kills the Martians?
(b) A bomb.
6. What does the narrator's brother decide to do when he hears that food may be available if he waits?
(a) Go find food.
(c) Demand food from other evacuees.
(d) Keep going.
7. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
(a) His own story was getting boring.
(b) To show how much stronger he is than his brother.
(c) To show the evacuation of his brother's city.
(d) To show how brave his brother is.
8. What are the four tripods carrying when they join the initial Martian attack on Surrey?
(b) Sharp blades.
(d) Large black tubes.
9. How much does the curate sleep when he and the narrator are hiding in the ruined house?
(a) Very little.
(b) All day.
(c) He and the narrator sleep in shifts throughout the day.
(d) All night.
10. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
(a) The curate is yelling at the Martians.
(b) The curate is annoying.
(c) The curate threatens him.
(d) The curate drinks the last of their supply.
11. What are the men trying to do when they attack the two women in the cart?
(a) Kidnap the women.
(b) Kill the women.
(c) Take their valuables.
(d) Take the cart.
12. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
(a) The scullery.
(b) The basement.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) The backyard.
13. What does the curate spend most days doing just after the house is ruined?
(c) Planning his escape.
(d) Looking for food.
14. How much does the curate eat when he and the narrator are trapped in the ruined house?
(a) More than his share.
(b) About half of the food.
(d) Only a little food.
15. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
(b) The Martians have taken it over.
(c) The military has killed the Martians there.
(d) The military is on the way there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Martians eat?
2. What does the new weapon do that the Martians reveal at Surrey?
3. What are the people coming back from the south of London saying?
4. What is the soldier holding when the narrator finds him the second time?
5. Who ultimately kills the men who are attacking the two women?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)