|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Martian tentacle reach into the ruined house and take?
(a) A piece of glass.
(b) A lump of coal.
(c) A chair leg.
(d) A doorknob.
2. What animal does the narrator hear on his fifteenth day in the ruined house?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bird.
(c) A dog.
(d) A mouse.
3. How many Martians initially attack nearby the night after the narrator's brother is introduced?
4. About how many dead Martians does the narrator see after he hears the Martian cry?
(c) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
5. Where does the narrator search for food after leaving the ruined house?
(a) A garden.
(b) A squirrel's den.
(c) Another house.
(d) A shed.
6. How does the narrator feel when he first leaves the ruined house?
(a) Hopeful that he will find his wife.
(b) Upset about what happened with the curate.
(c) Like he is under Martian control.
(d) Lonely and hopeless.
7. How is the soldier described who travels with the narrator?
8. What direction do the Martians head after they attack Surrey?
9. About what time does the Martian attack of Surrey start?
(b) 11:00 AM.
(c) 3:00 PM.
(d) 8:00 PM.
10. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
(a) To show the evacuation of his brother's city.
(b) His own story was getting boring.
(c) To show how brave his brother is.
(d) To show how much stronger he is than his brother.
11. Why does the narrator's brother fail to travel to the narrator's home?
(a) He does not want to go.
(b) The trains are not running.
(c) He does not have a horse.
(d) He has to go to work.
12. What does the narrator plan to do with the animal he hears outside of the house?
(a) Bait the Martians with it.
(b) Save it as a present for his wife.
(c) Trap and eat it.
(d) Keep it for company.
13. Who takes the narrator in after he walks toward the Martian?
(a) A family.
(b) A shopkeeper.
(c) A convent.
(d) A soldier.
14. Why is the narrator's brother forced to abandon his first mode of transportation?
(a) Someone demands that he give it to them.
(b) He borrowed it and has to give it back.
(c) It breaks.
(d) He loses it.
15. What does the narrator see the Martians do from the ruined house?
(a) Build another weapon.
(b) Fight with each other.
(c) Force humans to fight with them.
(d) Kill a little boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
2. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
3. What kills the Martians?
4. How does the author risk his safety on his tenth day in the ruined house?
5. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)