|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
(a) It has been robbed.
(b) Someone was staying there.
(c) It has been destroyed.
(d) No one has been in it since he left.
2. Where do the curate and narrator first see other people?
3. Where does the narrator hear a Martian crying out?
4. What is the soldier holding when the narrator finds him the second time?
(a) A machete.
(b) A gun.
(c) A spear.
5. Where are the Martian's ears located?
(a) On the back of their heads.
(b) On their foreheads.
(c) Next to their mouths.
(d) On their hands.
6. What does the narrator's brother decide to do when he hears that food may be available if he waits?
(a) Demand food from other evacuees.
(b) Keep going.
(c) Go find food.
7. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
(a) The curate is annoying.
(b) The curate drinks the last of their supply.
(c) The curate threatens him.
(d) The curate is yelling at the Martians.
8. How does the Martian repair his tripod during the Martian attack of Surrey?
(a) He can repair it from inside.
(b) He kills everyone nearby and then repairs it.
(c) The other Martians protect him.
(d) He does not.
9. What happens to the house near Kew when the narrator and curate take refuge there?
(a) The curate knocks out some of the windows.
(b) A Martian tripod destroys part of it.
(c) It is so old that boards start to fall off of the walls.
(d) A cylinder falls next to it and destroys part of it.
10. Why does the narrator walk towards it when he hears the Martian cry?
(a) He wants to kill it.
(b) He wants to kill himself.
(c) He wants to see if it is still alive.
(d) He wants to see it up close.
11. On what kind of transportation does the narrator's brother begin his escape?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A cart.
(c) A train.
(d) A boat.
12. Who is in front of the narrator's house when he returns to it?
(a) His brother.
(c) The soldier.
(d) His wife.
13. How much does the curate sleep when he and the narrator are hiding in the ruined house?
(a) Very little.
(b) All night.
(c) He and the narrator sleep in shifts throughout the day.
(d) All day.
14. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
(a) Small animals.
(c) Materials to build dwellings.
15. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
(a) To show how much stronger he is than his brother.
(b) His own story was getting boring.
(c) To show the evacuation of his brother's city.
(d) To show how brave his brother is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find food after he meets with the soldier for the second time?
2. Why is the narrator's brother forced to abandon his first mode of transportation?
3. How does the narrator attempt to keep the curate from using up their resources?
4. How long do the curate and the narrator stay in the first house?
5. How long does the narrator stay in the house after he is found wandering the streets?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)