|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The Martians have taken it over.
(b) The military has killed the Martians there.
(c) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
(d) The military is on the way there.
2. What does the narrator begin to believe right after he leaves the ruined house?
(a) The military will find him soon.
(b) He should try to bargain with the Martians.
(c) He will find his wife somewhere.
(d) He is the only living person in the area.
3. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
(a) His own story was getting boring.
(b) To show how brave his brother is.
(c) To show the evacuation of his brother's city.
(d) To show how much stronger he is than his brother.
4. Who is in front of the narrator's house when he returns to it?
(b) His wife.
(c) The soldier.
(d) His brother.
5. As he watches from the ruined house, the narrator sees a Martian pick up a person from where?
(a) A cart.
(b) A bush.
(c) A house.
(d) A cage.
6. What is the Thunder Child?
(a) A tank.
(b) A horse.
(c) A warship.
(d) A large gun.
7. What does the curate spend most days doing just after the house is ruined?
(b) Looking for food.
(c) Planning his escape.
8. How does the narrator say many people were acting towards each other during the Martian invasion?
9. Why does the narrator walk towards it when he hears the Martian cry?
(a) He wants to kill himself.
(b) He wants to kill it.
(c) He wants to see it up close.
(d) He wants to see if it is still alive.
10. Why is the narrator's brother forced to abandon his first mode of transportation?
(a) He borrowed it and has to give it back.
(b) Someone demands that he give it to them.
(c) He loses it.
(d) It breaks.
11. What animal does the narrator hear on his fifteenth day in the ruined house?
(a) A dog.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) A mouse.
12. What does the Committee of Public Safety do when they meet the narrator's brother?
(a) Give him food.
(b) Steal his horse.
(c) Fight him.
(d) Give him money.
13. What does the narrator use to hit the curate in the head?
(a) A cart wheel.
(b) A chair.
(c) An axe.
(d) A meat chopper.
14. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
(a) There is a small window.
(b) He opens the door.
(c) There is an opening in the wall.
(d) He can't.
15. Who ultimately kills the men who are attacking the two women?
(a) The younger woman.
(b) A passerby.
(c) The older woman.
(d) The narrator's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator's brother not very concerned about the narrator at first?
2. Where do the curate and narrator first see other people?
3. Where do the narrator and curate sleep in the ruined house?
4. On what kind of transportation does the narrator's brother begin his escape?
5. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)