|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do the curate and the narrator hide in the house before the narrator hits the curate?
(a) Six days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
2. Where are the Martian's ears located?
(a) Next to their mouths.
(b) On the back of their heads.
(c) On their foreheads.
(d) On their hands.
3. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
(a) The curate is annoying.
(b) The curate is yelling at the Martians.
(c) The curate drinks the last of their supply.
(d) The curate threatens him.
4. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
(a) A trench.
(b) The Sleeping Dog Inn.
(c) A tavern.
(d) Wimbledon Common.
5. What does the narrator use to hit the curate in the head?
(a) A cart wheel.
(b) A meat chopper.
(c) A chair.
(d) An axe.
6. How does the narrator get into a yard near the ruined house?
(a) He climbs the fence.
(b) He knocks down a wall.
(c) He breaks into the house in front of it.
(d) He goes around a wall.
7. What does the narrator find to eat after he decides to leave the ruined house?
(a) A rodent.
8. What does the soldier want to do in order to ensure his survival?
(a) Hide in a nearby house.
(b) Build an underground colony.
(c) Find other members of the military.
(d) Flee to Ireland.
9. What does the curate spend most days doing just after the house is ruined?
(a) Looking for food.
(b) Planning his escape.
10. How much does the curate eat when he and the narrator are trapped in the ruined house?
(a) About half of the food.
(b) Only a little food.
(d) More than his share.
11. What does the narrator's brother think happens to the narrator after news reports of the Martians reach town?
(a) He thinks that the narrator is coming for him.
(b) He thinks that the narrator must be hiding.
(c) He thinks that the narrator escaped.
(d) He thinks that the narrator is dead.
12. Why does the curate go with the narrator after they leave the first house?
(a) He does not want to be alone.
(b) He does not want the narrator to be left alone.
(c) The narrator may be able to help him get home.
(d) He thinks that the narrator is a good leader.
13. What does the narrator begin to believe right after he leaves the ruined house?
(a) He is the only living person in the area.
(b) The military will find him soon.
(c) He will find his wife somewhere.
(d) He should try to bargain with the Martians.
14. What does the Committee of Public Safety do when they meet the narrator's brother?
(a) Fight him.
(b) Give him money.
(c) Give him food.
(d) Steal his horse.
15. Why does the narrator's brother fail to travel to the narrator's home?
(a) He does not have a horse.
(b) He has to go to work.
(c) He does not want to go.
(d) The trains are not running.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men trying to do when they attack the two women in the cart?
2. About what time does the Martian attack of Surrey start?
3. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
4. What happens to the house near Kew when the narrator and curate take refuge there?
5. Who ultimately kills the men who are attacking the two women?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)