|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator sleep when he gets to Putney Hill?
(a) A wagon.
(b) An inn.
(c) An abadoned house.
(d) A tree.
2. What does the soldier want to do in order to ensure his survival?
(a) Flee to Ireland.
(b) Find other members of the military.
(c) Hide in a nearby house.
(d) Build an underground colony.
3. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The military is on the way there.
(b) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
(c) The military has killed the Martians there.
(d) The Martians have taken it over.
4. What are the people coming back from the south of London saying?
(a) There is nothing to worry about.
(b) The Martians are coming.
(c) They are trapped.
(d) People are evacuating.
5. How is the narrator's brother able to help the two women subdue their attackers?
(a) He is an expert boxer.
(b) He shoots them.
(c) He helps them ride away.
(d) He bribes them to leave the women alone.
6. What are the men trying to do when they attack the two women in the cart?
(a) Kill the women.
(b) Take their valuables.
(c) Kidnap the women.
(d) Take the cart.
7. How much does the curate sleep when he and the narrator are hiding in the ruined house?
(a) All day.
(b) Very little.
(c) All night.
(d) He and the narrator sleep in shifts throughout the day.
8. About how many dead Martians does the narrator see after he hears the Martian cry?
(a) One thousand.
(b) One hundred.
9. Why does the narrator walk towards it when he hears the Martian cry?
(a) He wants to kill himself.
(b) He wants to see it up close.
(c) He wants to see if it is still alive.
(d) He wants to kill it.
10. What does the narrator's brother study in college?
11. How does the author risk his safety on his tenth day in the ruined house?
(a) He ventures outside to investigate the Martians.
(b) He tries to find the curate's body.
(c) He trys to signal for help.
(d) He pumps water.
12. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
(a) It has been destroyed.
(b) Someone was staying there.
(c) No one has been in it since he left.
(d) It has been robbed.
13. What is the soldier holding when the narrator finds him the second time?
(a) A spear.
(b) A gun.
(c) A machete.
14. Why does the narrator hit the curate over the head?
(a) The curate drinks the last of their supply.
(b) The curate is annoying.
(c) The curate threatens him.
(d) The curate is yelling at the Martians.
15. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
(a) Materials to build dwellings.
(c) Small animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Thunder Child?
2. Where does the narrator find the soldier who he is traveling with earlier in the story?
3. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
4. Where does the narrator hear a Martian crying out?
5. What animal does the narrator hear on his fifteenth day in the ruined house?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)