|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the Martian's ears located?
(a) On their foreheads.
(b) On the back of their heads.
(c) On their hands.
(d) Next to their mouths.
2. Why does the curate go with the narrator after they leave the first house?
(a) He does not want the narrator to be left alone.
(b) He does not want to be alone.
(c) He thinks that the narrator is a good leader.
(d) The narrator may be able to help him get home.
3. Why is the narrator's brother not very concerned about the narrator at first?
(a) He gets a letter from the narrator.
(b) His wife tells him not to worry.
(c) He does not believe that the Martians exist.
(d) The Martians have not been reported as a threat.
4. What direction do the Martians head after they attack Surrey?
5. How does the narrator attempt to keep the curate from using up their resources?
(a) He hides most things from the curate.
(b) He promises to get more soon.
(c) He fights him.
(d) He pleads with him.
6. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
(a) There is a small window.
(b) He opens the door.
(c) He can't.
(d) There is an opening in the wall.
7. How is the narrator's brother able to help the two women subdue their attackers?
(a) He bribes them to leave the women alone.
(b) He is an expert boxer.
(c) He shoots them.
(d) He helps them ride away.
8. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
(a) No one has been in it since he left.
(b) Someone was staying there.
(c) It has been destroyed.
(d) It has been robbed.
9. About how many dead Martians does the narrator see after he hears the Martian cry?
(c) One thousand.
(d) One hundred.
10. On what kind of transportation does the narrator's brother begin his escape?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A train.
(c) A boat.
(d) A cart.
11. What do the Martians eat?
(a) Small animals.
(b) Rocks and other minerals.
12. Where does the narrator find food after he meets with the soldier for the second time?
(a) The soldier has it.
(b) A cart.
(c) A house.
(d) A pub.
13. What do the Martians bring with them in the cylinders?
(a) Small animals.
(c) Materials to build dwellings.
14. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The military has killed the Martians there.
(b) The Martians have taken it over.
(c) The military is on the way there.
(d) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
15. How long do the curate and the narrator stay in the first house?
(a) One week.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Seven hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new weapon do that the Martians reveal at Surrey?
2. What does the narrator start calling the tripods when he travels with the curate?
3. Why does the narrator say that he recounted the story of his brother?
4. How long do the curate and the narrator hide in the house before the narrator hits the curate?
5. What does the narrator find to eat after he decides to leave the ruined house?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)