|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find to eat after he decides to leave the ruined house?
(a) A rodent.
2. How is the narrator's brother able to help the two women subdue their attackers?
(a) He shoots them.
(b) He is an expert boxer.
(c) He helps them ride away.
(d) He bribes them to leave the women alone.
3. How much time does the narrator spend in the ruined house in total?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Fifteen days.
4. Why is the narrator's brother forced to abandon his first mode of transportation?
(a) It breaks.
(b) He borrowed it and has to give it back.
(c) He loses it.
(d) Someone demands that he give it to them.
5. What does the new weapon do that the Martians reveal at Surrey?
(a) It emits toxic smoke.
(b) It works as a mounted gun on the tripods.
(c) It knocks down enemy vehicles.
(d) It shoots fire.
6. Who takes the narrator in after he walks toward the Martian?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) A convent.
(c) A family.
(d) A soldier.
7. What does the narrator's brother here about London as he travels with the two women?
(a) The military is on the way there.
(b) The military has killed the Martians there.
(c) The Martians have taken it over.
(d) The Martians have burned it to the ground.
8. Where does the narrator find food in the ruined house after the curate dies?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The basement.
(d) The scullery.
9. Why is the narrator's brother not very concerned about the narrator at first?
(a) He does not believe that the Martians exist.
(b) His wife tells him not to worry.
(c) The Martians have not been reported as a threat.
(d) He gets a letter from the narrator.
10. Who ultimately kills the men who are attacking the two women?
(a) The younger woman.
(b) The older woman.
(c) The narrator's brother.
(d) A passerby.
11. What does the curate spend most days doing just after the house is ruined?
(a) Looking for food.
(c) Planning his escape.
12. How long do the curate and the narrator hide in the house before the narrator hits the curate?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Six days.
13. How is the soldier described who travels with the narrator?
14. How does the narrator see outside on the first morning in the ruined house?
(a) He can't.
(b) He opens the door.
(c) There is a small window.
(d) There is an opening in the wall.
15. Where is the curate's body before the Martians take it?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Thunder Child?
2. Where does the narrator hide after he hits the curate?
3. What does the narrator find out about his house when he returns to it?
4. About what time does the Martian attack of Surrey start?
5. What does the narrator's brother think happens to the narrator after news reports of the Martians reach town?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)