|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
(a) Making a fire.
(c) Trying to find food.
(d) Looking for money in the narrator's pockets.
2. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are captured by Martians.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They are crushed.
3. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
4. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
5. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) He slips on the edge.
(b) A Martian pulls him in.
(c) He jumps in.
(d) The crowd pushes him in.
6. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A worthless object.
(c) A card game.
(d) A false story.
7. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(a) A Martian.
8. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
(d) The underworld.
9. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(a) A confused noise.
(b) A scream.
(d) A cry for help.
10. What is a curate?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A clergyman.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A judge.
11. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
12. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(b) A Martian.
(c) Green smoke.
(d) A missle.
13. What two emotions does the narrator experience after the first Martian appears?
(a) Excitement and anger.
(b) Fear and anger.
(c) Fear and curiosity.
(d) Excitement and fear.
14. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
15. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(b) The Thing.
(c) The Rocket.
(d) The Monster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
2. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
3. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
4. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
5. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)