|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see in the sky as he goes to town on his way back from the inn?
(a) A third cylinder falling.
(b) A rocket.
(c) A military missile.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
2. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They become very alarmed.
(b) They become angry at the visitors.
(c) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
(d) They insist on calling the military for help.
3. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Study it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Dig it out.
(d) Open it.
4. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) The crowd pushes him in.
(c) He jumps in.
(d) He slips on the edge.
5. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
6. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians move very slowly.
(b) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(c) The Martians are very small.
(d) The Martians are very weak.
7. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
(c) The underworld.
8. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
9. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses tools that he found.
(b) He uses sticks.
(c) He uses his hands.
(d) He has paddles.
10. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
(a) They laugh at him.
(b) They pry him for details.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They push him.
11. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
12. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) The direct road has been blocked.
(b) The long route will be safer.
(c) The direct road is crowded with people.
(d) There may be food on the long route.
13. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
(a) The milkman.
(b) His wife.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A policeman.
14. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(b) Evacuate Immediately.
(c) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(d) Message Received From Mars.
15. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
2. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
3. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
4. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
5. What color is the first Martian's skin?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)