|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the gas jets?
2. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) In the sewer.
(b) In a house.
(c) Under dead bodies.
(d) Under a pile of leaves.
3. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
4. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(a) A cry for help.
(b) A confused noise.
(c) A scream.
5. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(b) They are very curious about what is happening.
(c) They are demanding action from the military.
(d) They have not taken much notice of it.
6. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
7. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A skilled front-line soldier.
(b) A bar owner.
(c) A member of the Navy.
(d) A man who makes syrup.
8. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
(a) Pulling him into the pit.
(b) Ignoring him.
(c) Shooting at him.
(d) Attacking him.
9. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(c) A Martian.
10. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) The common.
(b) A river.
(c) Under London.
(d) The ocean.
11. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 160 million miles.
(b) 140,000 miles.
(c) 140 million miles.
(d) 160,000 miles.
12. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He cannot move one of his arms.
(b) He has a speech impediment.
(c) He is deaf in one ear.
(d) He cannot walk.
13. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
14. What is a curate?
(a) A clergyman.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A judge.
(d) A doctor.
15. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
(a) Trying to find food.
(b) Looking for money in the narrator's pockets.
(d) Making a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
2. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
3. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
4. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
5. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)