|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
2. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Food and whiskey.
(b) Weapons and food.
(c) Food and the narrator's dog.
(d) Food and water.
3. What color is the first Martian's skin?
4. What can survive the heat ray?
5. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
6. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
(a) Shooting at him.
(b) Attacking him.
(c) Pulling him into the pit.
(d) Ignoring him.
7. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
(b) One hundred.
8. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Twenty yards.
(b) Ten yards.
(c) Thirty yards.
(d) Five yards.
9. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Dig it out.
(b) Open it.
(c) Study it.
(d) Destroy it.
10. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He yells for help.
(c) He stays where he is.
(d) He tries to fight it.
11. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) He slips on the edge.
(c) The crowd pushes him in.
(d) He jumps in.
12. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(b) A Martian.
13. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
(a) A construction worker.
(c) A soldier.
14. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
15. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About half.
(b) About one-quarter.
(c) About three-quarters.
(d) About twice as much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the gas jets?
2. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
3. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
4. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
5. Who is Marshall?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)