|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(b) Message Received From Mars.
(c) Evacuate Immediately.
(d) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
2. Why does Ogilvy think it is impossible for the Martians to become established on Earth?
(a) The Martians cannot see very well.
(b) There is no food for them on Earth.
(c) The gravity is too strong.
(d) There is not enough nitrogen in the air.
3. How many gas jets are spotted within the first twenty-four hours of the story?
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses tools that he found.
(b) He uses sticks.
(c) He uses his hands.
(d) He has paddles.
5. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord Harrington.
(b) Lord Hilton.
(c) Lord William.
(d) Lord Vasser.
6. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A reporter.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A laborer.
(d) A philosopher.
7. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
(a) He is knocked unconscious.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He is forced to run from Martians.
(d) He loses something valuable.
8. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) He slips on the edge.
(c) He jumps in.
(d) The crowd pushes him in.
9. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(b) They are very curious about what is happening.
(c) They have not taken much notice of it.
(d) They are demanding action from the military.
10. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A bar owner.
(b) A man who makes syrup.
(c) A skilled front-line soldier.
(d) A member of the Navy.
11. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
(a) Shooting at him.
(b) Attacking him.
(c) Pulling him into the pit.
(d) Ignoring him.
12. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
(d) The underworld.
13. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) They want to find other people.
(b) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(c) They hear gunfire.
(d) The Martians are getting closer.
14. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Five yards.
(b) Ten yards.
(c) Twenty yards.
(d) Thirty yards.
15. What color is the first Martian's skin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
2. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
4. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
5. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)