|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are very curious about what is happening.
(b) They have not taken much notice of it.
(c) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(d) They are demanding action from the military.
2. Who is Henderson?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) An astronomer.
3. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
(a) Astronomers United.
(b) The Astronomical Exchange.
(c) The League of Astronomers.
(d) The National Association of Astronomers.
4. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
(a) A white flag.
(b) A British flag.
(c) A heart.
(d) A peace sign.
5. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He runs into his wife.
(b) He gets into a fight.
(c) He steals a horse.
(d) He passes out.
6. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 160 million miles.
(b) 140,000 miles.
(c) 140 million miles.
(d) 160,000 miles.
7. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About three-quarters.
(b) About one-quarter.
(c) About twice as much.
(d) About half.
8. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
9. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
(a) They are disappointed.
(b) They are indifferent to it.
(c) They are angry.
(d) It scares them.
10. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
(a) He is an artilleryman.
(b) He is a general.
(c) He is a sailor.
(d) He is a pilot.
11. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They insist on calling the military for help.
(b) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
(c) They become very alarmed.
(d) They become angry at the visitors.
12. How many gas jets are spotted within the first twenty-four hours of the story?
13. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
(a) They pry him for details.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They push him.
(d) They ignore him.
14. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
15. What can survive the heat ray?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
2. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
3. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
4. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
5. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)