|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About one-quarter.
(b) About half.
(c) About twice as much.
(d) About three-quarters.
2. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
(a) Pulling him into the pit.
(b) Ignoring him.
(c) Shooting at him.
(d) Attacking him.
3. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
(a) He accuses them of being insane.
(b) He says that he saw the same things they did.
(c) He says that he will protect them.
(d) He does not believe them.
4. What can survive the heat ray?
5. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
6. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
7. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
(a) One week.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Ten hours.
8. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Weapons and food.
(b) Food and whiskey.
(c) Food and the narrator's dog.
(d) Food and water.
9. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
10. What are the little boys doing to the cylinder the morning after it crashes?
(a) Trying to open it.
(b) Yelling at it.
(c) Daring each other to touch it.
(d) Throwing rocks at it.
11. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A man who makes syrup.
(b) A member of the Navy.
(c) A skilled front-line soldier.
(d) A bar owner.
12. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A card game.
(b) A worthless object.
(c) A false story.
(d) A distraction.
13. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
(a) A policeman.
(b) The milkman.
(c) His wife.
(d) A reporter.
14. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) They hear gunfire.
(b) The Martians are getting closer.
(c) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(d) They want to find other people.
15. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
(a) He ran away.
(b) His horse fell.
(c) They abadoned him.
(d) He was discharged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
2. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
3. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
4. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
5. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)