|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A man who makes syrup.
(b) A member of the Navy.
(c) A bar owner.
(d) A skilled front-line soldier.
2. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
3. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
4. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
5. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
(a) The National Association of Astronomers.
(b) The League of Astronomers.
(c) Astronomers United.
(d) The Astronomical Exchange.
6. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 140 million miles.
(b) 160,000 miles.
(c) 160 million miles.
(d) 140,000 miles.
7. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
8. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to see the Martians die.
(b) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
(c) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(d) He wants to gather his possessions.
9. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
(a) A construction worker.
(d) The narrator.
10. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(a) The Thing.
(b) The Rocket.
(c) The Monster.
11. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) A new Martian weapon.
(b) A dead Martian.
(c) A Martian tripod.
(d) The heat ray.
12. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
13. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) Under a pile of leaves.
(b) In a house.
(c) Under dead bodies.
(d) In the sewer.
14. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He cannot move one of his arms.
(b) He has a speech impediment.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) He is deaf in one ear.
15. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
(a) A soldier helps him get away.
(b) He fights with them.
(c) He hides in the water.
(d) The Martians do not see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people near the cylinder hear coming from inside of it at the end of the first day after the cylinder crashes?
2. What does the narrator see in the sky as he goes to town on his way back from the inn?
3. What are the little boys doing to the cylinder the morning after it crashes?
4. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
5. What can survive the heat ray?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)