|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A shell.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A bomb.
(d) A tank.
2. What is a curate?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A clergyman.
(d) A judge.
3. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord Vasser.
(b) Lord William.
(c) Lord Harrington.
(d) Lord Hilton.
4. What is a Deputation?
(a) A group of police officers.
(b) A group of journalists.
(c) A group of delegates.
(d) A group of soldiers.
5. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) It is invisible.
(c) It is hidden.
(d) It is made of unknown materials.
6. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) A man.
(b) A Martian invader.
(c) A strange creature.
(d) An animal.
7. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(b) The Thing.
(c) The Monster.
(d) The Rocket.
8. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
(a) He stays where he is.
(b) He yells for help.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He tries to fight it.
9. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(b) Evacuate Immediately.
(c) Message Received From Mars.
(d) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
10. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are demanding action from the military.
(b) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(c) They have not taken much notice of it.
(d) They are very curious about what is happening.
11. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
(a) It falls and breaks its neck.
(b) It throws him off.
(c) Someone steals it.
(d) It runs away.
12. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
13. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 20 million miles.
(b) 15 million miles.
(c) 45 million miles.
(d) 35 million miles.
14. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) He slips on the edge.
(b) A Martian pulls him in.
(c) The crowd pushes him in.
(d) He jumps in.
15. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(b) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the young boy yelling in the middle of town on the Friday evening after the cylinder crashes?
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
3. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
4. Who is Marshall?
5. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)