|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) Under dead bodies.
(b) In a house.
(c) In the sewer.
(d) Under a pile of leaves.
2. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 160 million miles.
(b) 160,000 miles.
(c) 140 million miles.
(d) 140,000 miles.
3. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
(b) One hundred
(c) One thousand.
(d) Four hundred.
4. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
5. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to see the Martians die.
(b) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
(c) He wants to gather his possessions.
(d) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
6. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
7. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
8. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Twelve blocks.
(c) Twelve miles.
(d) Ten miles.
9. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are demanding action from the military.
(b) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
(c) They have not taken much notice of it.
(d) They are very curious about what is happening.
10. Who is Henderson?
(a) A doctor.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A journalist.
11. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
12. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(a) A scream.
(b) A cry for help.
(c) A confused noise.
13. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Dig it out.
(b) Open it.
(c) Study it.
(d) Destroy it.
14. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
(a) He fights with them.
(b) He hides in the water.
(c) A soldier helps him get away.
(d) The Martians do not see him.
15. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
(c) Temperature cooling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the first Martian's skin?
2. How far is Mars from Earth?
3. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
4. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
5. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)