|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He has a speech impediment.
(b) He is deaf in one ear.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) He cannot move one of his arms.
2. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A man who makes syrup.
(b) A bar owner.
(c) A skilled front-line soldier.
(d) A member of the Navy.
3. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(a) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
4. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) Under London.
(b) A river.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The common.
5. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(b) The Martians move very slowly.
(c) The Martians are very weak.
(d) The Martians are very small.
6. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
(a) A soldier helps him get away.
(b) He fights with them.
(c) The Martians do not see him.
(d) He hides in the water.
7. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
8. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(a) A Martian.
(b) Green smoke.
(c) A missle.
9. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 45 million miles.
(b) 20 million miles.
(c) 35 million miles.
(d) 15 million miles.
10. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord William.
(b) Lord Harrington.
(c) Lord Vasser.
(d) Lord Hilton.
11. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
12. What is a curate?
(a) A clergyman.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A judge.
13. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
14. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are very curious about what is happening.
(b) They are demanding action from the military.
(c) They have not taken much notice of it.
(d) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
15. A soldier tells the narrator that when a man waved a flag on a long pole at the Martians, the Martians responded by:
(a) Shooting at him.
(b) Attacking him.
(c) Pulling him into the pit.
(d) Ignoring him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
2. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
3. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
4. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
5. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)