|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Deputation?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) A group of journalists.
(c) A group of police officers.
(d) A group of delegates.
2. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(c) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
3. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians are very weak.
(b) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(c) The Martians are very small.
(d) The Martians move very slowly.
4. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
5. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) There may be food on the long route.
(b) The long route will be safer.
(c) The direct road is crowded with people.
(d) The direct road has been blocked.
6. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) Under dead bodies.
(b) Under a pile of leaves.
(c) In a house.
(d) In the sewer.
7. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every week.
(d) Every hour.
8. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) The common.
(b) A river.
(c) Under London.
(d) The ocean.
9. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
(b) One hundred.
10. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He steals a horse.
(b) He runs into his wife.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He gets into a fight.
11. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
12. What color is the first Martian's skin?
13. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
14. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(b) They hear gunfire.
(c) They want to find other people.
(d) The Martians are getting closer.
15. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They become very alarmed.
(b) They insist on calling the military for help.
(c) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
(d) They become angry at the visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
2. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
3. What is a curate?
4. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
5. What disability does Henderson have?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)