Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord Vasser.
(b) Lord Hilton.
(c) Lord Harrington.
(d) Lord William.
2. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every week.
3. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(a) One hundred.
4. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses tools that he found.
(b) He has paddles.
(c) He uses sticks.
(d) He uses his hands.
5. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A tank.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A shell.
(d) A bomb.
6. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
7. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
8. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They insist on calling the military for help.
(b) They become very alarmed.
(c) They become angry at the visitors.
(d) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
9. What is a Deputation?
(a) A group of police officers.
(b) A group of journalists.
(c) A group of soldiers.
(d) A group of delegates.
10. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
(a) It is made of unknown materials.
(b) It does not exist.
(c) It is invisible.
(d) It is hidden.
11. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
(c) A soldier.
(d) A construction worker.
12. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
13. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He has a speech impediment.
(b) He is deaf in one ear.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) He cannot move one of his arms.
14. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He gets into a fight.
(b) He steals a horse.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He runs into his wife.
15. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A laborer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
2. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
3. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
4. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
5. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)