|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(d) A Martian.
2. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to see the Martians die.
(b) He wants to gather his possessions.
(c) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(d) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
3. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A laborer.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A philosopher.
4. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
5. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
6. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
(a) He yells for help.
(b) He stays where he is.
(c) He tries to fight it.
(d) He runs away.
7. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
(a) They are demanding action from the military.
(b) They have not taken much notice of it.
(c) They are very curious about what is happening.
(d) They are keeping a close eye on the pit in shifts.
8. Why does Ogilvy think it is impossible for the Martians to become established on Earth?
(a) The gravity is too strong.
(b) The Martians cannot see very well.
(c) There is not enough nitrogen in the air.
(d) There is no food for them on Earth.
9. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are captured by Martians.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They are crushed.
(d) They are shot.
10. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Twelve blocks.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Twelve miles.
11. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(c) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
12. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
(a) A lion.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bear.
(d) A cat.
13. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Ten yards.
(b) Five yards.
(c) Thirty yards.
(d) Twenty yards.
14. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) He slips on the edge.
(c) The crowd pushes him in.
(d) He jumps in.
15. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He steals a horse.
(b) He runs into his wife.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He gets into a fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can survive the heat ray?
2. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
3. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
4. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
5. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)