|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Calmly packing their things.
(b) Boarding up their houses.
(c) Frantically evacuating.
(d) Standing in line for food.
2. Where does the narrator hide when he sees The Thing?
(a) In a shack.
(b) Under a piece of wood.
(c) In a ditch.
(d) Behind a tree.
3. Who is Marshall?
(a) A tobacconist.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A fisherman.
4. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He loses something valuable.
(c) He is forced to run from Martians.
(d) He is knocked unconscious.
5. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
(a) Someone steals it.
(b) It throws him off.
(c) It falls and breaks its neck.
(d) It runs away.
6. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(a) The Monster.
(b) The Thing.
(c) The Rocket.
7. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every week.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every other day.
(d) Every hour.
8. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
(a) He does not believe them.
(b) He says that he saw the same things they did.
(c) He says that he will protect them.
(d) He accuses them of being insane.
9. Why do the humans not know what the heat ray is?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) It is invisible.
(c) It is hidden.
(d) It is made of unknown materials.
10. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He decides to hide.
(b) He panics.
(c) He makes plans to leave town.
(d) He heads back to the crash site.
11. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Food and water.
(b) Weapons and food.
(c) Food and the narrator's dog.
(d) Food and whiskey.
12. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
13. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
(a) His house.
(b) On the common.
(c) The train station.
(d) In a restaurant.
14. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
15. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
2. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
3. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
4. Who is Henderson?
5. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)