|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
(a) They abadoned him.
(b) His horse fell.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He was discharged.
2. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(a) A Martian.
3. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every week.
4. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Ten yards.
(b) Five yards.
(c) Thirty yards.
(d) Twenty yards.
5. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
(c) A soldier.
(d) A construction worker.
6. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
(a) He says that he will protect them.
(b) He accuses them of being insane.
(c) He says that he saw the same things they did.
(d) He does not believe them.
7. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(b) The Rocket.
(c) The Monster.
(d) The Thing.
8. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) A tree trunk.
(c) A mound of sand.
(d) A metal shield.
9. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A reporter.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A laborer.
10. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A firing squad.
(b) A shell.
(c) A tank.
(d) A bomb.
11. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Calmly packing their things.
(b) Standing in line for food.
(c) Boarding up their houses.
(d) Frantically evacuating.
12. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
13. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are captured by Martians.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They are crushed.
(d) They are shot.
14. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses sticks.
(b) He uses his hands.
(c) He has paddles.
(d) He uses tools that he found.
15. Who is Marshall?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) A tobacconist.
(d) A soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first man get into the pit?
2. What is the name of the narrator's local newspaper?
3. Who is Henderson?
4. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
5. How many gas jets are spotted within the first twenty-four hours of the story?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)