|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) On the common.
(c) His house.
(d) The train station.
2. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(a) Shoot into the pit.
(b) Tell the narrator to leave.
3. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
4. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Frantically evacuating.
(b) Calmly packing their things.
(c) Boarding up their houses.
(d) Standing in line for food.
5. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
6. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 160,000 miles.
(b) 160 million miles.
(c) 140,000 miles.
(d) 140 million miles.
7. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
8. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Twenty yards.
(b) Ten yards.
(c) Thirty yards.
(d) Five yards.
9. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
10. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 15 million miles.
(b) 45 million miles.
(c) 35 million miles.
(d) 20 million miles.
11. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Message Received From Mars.
(b) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(c) Evacuate Immediately.
(d) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
12. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
13. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
14. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians are very small.
(b) The Martians are very weak.
(c) The Martians move very slowly.
(d) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
15. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
2. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
3. How do most people react to the invasion on the first Friday after the cylinder lands?
4. Who does not die in the heat ray?
5. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)