|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 15 million miles.
(b) 35 million miles.
(c) 20 million miles.
(d) 45 million miles.
2. Where does the narrator decide to take his wife when his chimney is cracked?
3. In the days immediately following the first heat ray, the only people that know about it live in what town?
4. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(b) A Martian.
5. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) There may be food on the long route.
(b) The long route will be safer.
(c) The direct road is crowded with people.
(d) The direct road has been blocked.
6. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
(a) His horse fell.
(b) He was discharged.
(c) He ran away.
(d) They abadoned him.
7. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Lord Harrington.
(b) Lord Vasser.
(c) Lord William.
(d) Lord Hilton.
8. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
(a) Soldiers tell them to leave.
(b) They want to find other people.
(c) They hear gunfire.
(d) The Martians are getting closer.
9. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A bar owner.
(b) A skilled front-line soldier.
(c) A member of the Navy.
(d) A man who makes syrup.
10. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) A Martian invader.
(b) An animal.
(c) A strange creature.
(d) A man.
11. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(a) One hundred.
12. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
13. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
14. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are crushed.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They are captured by Martians.
15. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What can survive the heat ray?
2. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
3. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
4. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
5. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)