|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Twelve blocks.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Twelve miles.
2. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
(a) The narrator.
(b) A construction worker.
3. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
4. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Destroy it.
(b) Dig it out.
(c) Study it.
(d) Open it.
5. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
(a) Frantically evacuating.
(b) Calmly packing their things.
(c) Standing in line for food.
(d) Boarding up their houses.
6. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He cannot walk.
(b) He cannot move one of his arms.
(c) He is deaf in one ear.
(d) He has a speech impediment.
7. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(c) One hundred.
8. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(a) The Rocket.
(b) The Monster.
(c) The Thing.
9. What is a curate?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A judge.
(d) A clergyman.
10. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(b) The Martians are very small.
(c) The Martians move very slowly.
(d) The Martians are very weak.
11. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every day.
(b) Every hour.
(c) Every other day.
(d) Every week.
12. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(b) A scream.
(c) A cry for help.
(d) A confused noise.
13. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
(a) They pry him for details.
(b) They push him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They laugh at him.
14. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
15. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) A Martian invader.
(b) An animal.
(c) A man.
(d) A strange creature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
2. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
3. Who does not die in the heat ray?
4. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
5. What color is the first Martian's skin?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)