|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator hide when he sees The Thing?
(a) Behind a tree.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) In a shack.
(d) Under a piece of wood.
2. What color is the first Martian's skin?
3. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 15 million miles.
(b) 35 million miles.
(c) 20 million miles.
(d) 45 million miles.
4. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
5. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) A new Martian weapon.
(b) A dead Martian.
(c) A Martian tripod.
(d) The heat ray.
6. Who is Marshall?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) A tobacconist.
(d) A farmer.
7. What can survive the heat ray?
8. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
9. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He panics.
(b) He heads back to the crash site.
(c) He makes plans to leave town.
(d) He decides to hide.
10. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) An animal.
(b) A man.
(c) A strange creature.
(d) A Martian invader.
11. What is a curate?
(a) A judge.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A clergyman.
(d) A lawyer.
12. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
(c) Temperature cooling.
13. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) He jumps in.
(b) The crowd pushes him in.
(c) A Martian pulls him in.
(d) He slips on the edge.
14. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
(a) Ten yards.
(b) Five yards.
(c) Twenty yards.
(d) Thirty yards.
15. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
2. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
3. Who does not die in the heat ray?
4. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
5. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)