|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many gas jets are spotted within the first twenty-four hours of the story?
2. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
3. What color is the first Martian's skin?
4. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
(a) A British flag.
(b) A peace sign.
(c) A heart.
(d) A white flag.
5. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
6. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
(a) Food and the narrator's dog.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Weapons and food.
(d) Food and whiskey.
7. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) A Martian tripod.
(b) A dead Martian.
(c) The heat ray.
(d) A new Martian weapon.
8. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They push him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They pry him for details.
9. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
(a) The League of Astronomers.
(b) The Astronomical Exchange.
(c) The National Association of Astronomers.
(d) Astronomers United.
10. Who is the first person to see the cylinder when it crashes?
(a) A construction worker.
(c) The narrator.
11. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) A river.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The common.
(d) Under London.
12. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
(a) He wants to gather his possessions.
(b) He wants to see the Martians die.
(c) He is afraid something will happen to his house.
(d) He wants to try to signal the Martians.
13. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
14. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 45 million miles.
(b) 20 million miles.
(c) 15 million miles.
(d) 35 million miles.
15. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He gets into a fight.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He steals a horse.
(d) He runs into his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
2. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
3. What is a Deputation?
4. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
5. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)