|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
(a) He is an artilleryman.
(b) He is a sailor.
(c) He is a pilot.
(d) He is a general.
2. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 140 million miles.
(b) 160 million miles.
(c) 140,000 miles.
(d) 160,000 miles.
3. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) The crowd pushes him in.
(b) A Martian pulls him in.
(c) He slips on the edge.
(d) He jumps in.
4. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
5. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A card game.
(b) A false story.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A worthless object.
6. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About three-quarters.
(b) About twice as much.
(c) About one-quarter.
(d) About half.
7. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A shell.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A tank.
(d) A bomb.
8. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
9. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
(a) The milkman.
(b) His wife.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A policeman.
10. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
11. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
12. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(a) Green smoke.
(c) A missle.
(d) A Martian.
13. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He has paddles.
(b) He uses sticks.
(c) He uses tools that he found.
(d) He uses his hands.
14. What are the little boys doing to the cylinder the morning after it crashes?
(a) Yelling at it.
(b) Throwing rocks at it.
(c) Daring each other to touch it.
(d) Trying to open it.
15. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Evacuate Immediately.
(b) Message Received From Mars.
(c) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(d) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
2. How many policemen are sent to the common after the heat ray?
3. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
4. What disability does Henderson have?
5. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)