|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Martian disks first emerge according to the soldier?
(a) A river.
(b) The common.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Under London.
2. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
3. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Evacuate Immediately.
(b) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(c) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(d) Message Received From Mars.
4. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
5. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(a) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
6. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians move very slowly.
(b) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(c) The Martians are very weak.
(d) The Martians are very small.
7. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Twelve miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Twelve blocks.
8. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A laborer.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A reporter.
9. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
10. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He runs into his wife.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He steals a horse.
(d) He gets into a fight.
11. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He panics.
(b) He heads back to the crash site.
(c) He makes plans to leave town.
(d) He decides to hide.
12. What happens to the narrator's horse when he goes back to Woking?
(a) It falls and breaks its neck.
(b) It runs away.
(c) Someone steals it.
(d) It throws him off.
13. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(a) A Martian.
14. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) The long route will be safer.
(b) The direct road has been blocked.
(c) There may be food on the long route.
(d) The direct road is crowded with people.
15. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
(a) Destroy it.
(b) Dig it out.
(c) Open it.
(d) Study it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
2. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
3. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
4. What do the soldier and the narrator bring with them when they decide to leave Woking?
5. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)