|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) A tree trunk.
(c) A mound of sand.
(d) A metal shield.
2. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
3. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
(a) They pry him for details.
(b) They push him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They laugh at him.
4. What is the name of the narrator's local newspaper?
(a) The Post-Dispatch.
(b) News of the Day.
(c) The Daily Chronicle.
(d) The Woking Journal.
5. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
6. What happens to a few people when the crowd is escaping from the heat ray?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are crushed.
(c) They are captured by Martians.
(d) They are shot.
7. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) A Martian invader.
(b) An animal.
(c) A man.
(d) A strange creature.
8. What does the word "canard" mean?
(a) A false story.
(b) A distraction.
(c) A card game.
(d) A worthless object.
9. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
(a) He hides in the water.
(b) A soldier helps him get away.
(c) He fights with them.
(d) The Martians do not see him.
10. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
11. How does the narrator say he feels on his way home from the heat ray incident?
12. Who is Marshall?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A tobacconist.
13. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
14. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
15. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(b) The Monster.
(c) The Rocket.
(d) The Thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
2. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
3. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
4. How long has it been since the soldier has eaten when he first teams up with the narrator?
5. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)