|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About three-quarters.
(b) About one-quarter.
(c) About twice as much.
(d) About half.
2. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
3. What comes out of the pit after the Deputation signals the Martians?
(a) A Martian.
(b) A missle.
(c) Green smoke.
4. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 45 million miles.
(b) 20 million miles.
(c) 15 million miles.
(d) 35 million miles.
5. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
6. How does the narrator paddle across the river when he finds a small boat?
(a) He uses his hands.
(b) He has paddles.
(c) He uses sticks.
(d) He uses tools that he found.
7. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
(a) In a house.
(b) Under dead bodies.
(c) Under a pile of leaves.
(d) In the sewer.
8. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
9. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Twelve miles.
(d) Twelve blocks.
10. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every hour.
(b) Every day.
(c) Every week.
(d) Every other day.
11. Why is the young boy yelling in the middle of town on the Friday evening after the cylinder crashes?
(a) He is trying to cause trouble.
(b) He is selling newspapers.
(c) He is just trying to get attention.
(d) He is alarmed about the Martians.
12. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A laborer.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A reporter.
13. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
(a) An animal.
(b) A strange creature.
(c) A Martian invader.
(d) A man.
14. What disability does Henderson have?
(a) He cannot move one of his arms.
(b) He cannot walk.
(c) He has a speech impediment.
(d) He is deaf in one ear.
15. What does the narrator refer to as The Thing when he comes back to town after taking his wife away?
(a) The heat ray.
(b) A new Martian weapon.
(c) A Martian tripod.
(d) A dead Martian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a curate?
2. How is the soldier separated from his unit?
3. What color are the gas jets?
4. Why is the narrator eager to get back to Woking after taking his wife to the inn?
5. Who does the narrator say he finds reassuring the morning before he is forced to flee?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)