|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the curate doing when the narrator first meets him?
(a) Making a fire.
(c) Trying to find food.
(d) Looking for money in the narrator's pockets.
2. How do the people gathering around the cylinder initially react to it?
(a) They are indifferent to it.
(b) They are disappointed.
(c) It scares them.
(d) They are angry.
3. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 160,000 miles.
(b) 140,000 miles.
(c) 140 million miles.
(d) 160 million miles.
4. What do people hear coming from the pit a few nights after the cylinder crashes?
5. Who does not die in the heat ray?
(d) A Martian.
6. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He steals a horse.
(b) He runs into his wife.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He gets into a fight.
7. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
8. What does the Deputation use as a signal to the Martians?
(a) A white flag.
(b) A peace sign.
(c) A British flag.
(d) A heart.
9. How far does the narrator have to drive his wife in the cart?
(a) Twelve blocks.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Twelve miles.
10. What happens to the narrator when he reaches the other bank in the small boat?
(a) He is knocked unconscious.
(b) He is forced to run from Martians.
(c) He loses something valuable.
(d) He falls asleep.
11. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
12. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
13. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
14. How often does the narrator say new cylinders are falling just before he meets the curate?
(a) Every day.
(b) Every week.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every other day.
15. About how many people does the heat ray kill?
(b) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
2. What does the word "canard" mean?
3. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
4. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
5. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)