|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) A Martian pulls him in.
(b) He jumps in.
(c) He slips on the edge.
(d) The crowd pushes him in.
2. What does the narrator drink when he gets back to his house for the first time?
3. How does the narrator react when the first Martian falls out of the cylinder?
(a) He yells for help.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He stays where he is.
(d) He tries to fight it.
4. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
(a) The National Association of Astronomers.
(b) The League of Astronomers.
(c) The Astronomical Exchange.
(d) Astronomers United.
5. What color is the first Martian's skin?
6. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(a) The Rocket.
(b) The Monster.
(c) The Thing.
7. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
8. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About three-quarters.
(b) About one-quarter.
(c) About half.
(d) About twice as much.
9. What saves some people from the first heat ray?
(a) A metal shield.
(b) A mound of sand.
(c) A tree trunk.
(d) A group of soldiers.
10. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A dog.
11. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
12. What does the narrator say could kill all of the Martians, as he tries to reassure his wife?
(a) A tank.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A shell.
(d) A firing squad.
13. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
(a) The Martians are very weak.
(b) The Martians do not seem very dangerous.
(c) The Martians are very small.
(d) The Martians move very slowly.
14. What can survive the heat ray?
15. Where does the Lieutenant tell the narrator and the soldier to go?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier do who pairs up with the narrator?
2. What disability does Henderson have?
3. How does the narrator escape when the army first fights the Martians?
4. How does the Lieutenant respond to the soldier and narrator's story when meeting them?
5. Why do the narrator and the curate decide to leave the riverbank?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)