|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Chapter 5, The Stillness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the first man get into the pit?
(a) The crowd pushes him in.
(b) He jumps in.
(c) He slips on the edge.
(d) A Martian pulls him in.
2. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(a) Shoot into the pit.
(b) Tell the narrator to leave.
3. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A man who makes syrup.
(b) A bar owner.
(c) A member of the Navy.
(d) A skilled front-line soldier.
4. Where is the first house in which the curate and narrator take refuge?
5. What happens to the narrator as he runs home after the heat ray?
(a) He runs into his wife.
(b) He steals a horse.
(c) He gets into a fight.
(d) He passes out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
2. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Where does the soldier hide until meeting the narrator?
4. How much time does the narrator spend in the ruined house in total?
5. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)