|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 12, What I Saw of the Destruction of Weybridge and Shepperton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A reporter.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A laborer.
(d) A philosopher.
2. What is a "sapper?"
(a) A skilled front-line soldier.
(b) A member of the Navy.
(c) A man who makes syrup.
(d) A bar owner.
3. About how many soldiers does the military send in response to the first cylinder crash?
(a) One thousand.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) One hundred
4. Why do the narrator and soldier decide to take a long route when leaving Woking?
(a) The long route will be safer.
(b) The direct road has been blocked.
(c) There may be food on the long route.
(d) The direct road is crowded with people.
5. What do the soldiers do when the narrator tells them about the heat ray?
(c) Shoot into the pit.
(d) Tell the narrator to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell his wife about the Martians in order to reassure her?
2. How many houses around the pit catch fire on Friday night?
3. How do the villagers react to the narrator's story when he runs into the village after the heat ray?
4. What are the locals doing when the soldier and the narrator go to check in with the soldiers?
5. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)