|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 4, The Cylinder Opens.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
(a) His house.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) The train station.
(d) On the common.
2. The crowd that gathers around the pit the morning after the cylinder crashes are from Woking and what other town?
3. Who is Henderson?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An astronomer.
4. About how many people surround the pit the morning after the cylinder lands?
(b) One hundred.
5. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
2. Who is Ogilvy?
3. How many gas jets are spotted within the first twenty-four hours of the story?
4. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
5. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)