|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 4, The Cylinder Opens.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(b) Message Received From Mars.
(c) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(d) Evacuate Immediately.
2. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
3. What is the name of the professional organization for astronomers?
(a) The Astronomical Exchange.
(b) Astronomers United.
(c) The League of Astronomers.
(d) The National Association of Astronomers.
4. Who asks the narrator to go to the landowner's estate with him?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A construction worker.
5. What does the narrator first call the cylinder?
(a) The Monster.
(b) The Thing.
(c) The Rocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large in diameter is the first cylinder?
2. The narrator describes the Martians as being about the size of what animal?
3. What is the man selling near the pit shortly after the cylinder crashes?
4. Who owns the property on which the first cylinder crashes?
5. How far is Mars from Earth?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)