|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 4, The Cylinder Opens.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the villagers react when the first visitors to the cylinder spread the news?
(a) They become angry at the visitors.
(b) They become very alarmed.
(c) They think that the visitors must be crazy.
(d) They insist on calling the military for help.
2. How does the narrator react when he reads an article about the cylinder at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He decides to hide.
(b) He panics.
(c) He heads back to the crash site.
(d) He makes plans to leave town.
3. What is the name of the Astronomer Royal?
4. What do the people near the cylinder hear coming from inside of it at the end of the first day after the cylinder crashes?
(b) Someone banging on the walls.
(d) A faint stirring.
5. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 15 million miles.
(b) 35 million miles.
(c) 20 million miles.
(d) 45 million miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator meet the man who owns the land where the cylinder crashes?
2. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
3. What is the name of the narrator's local newspaper?
4. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
5. What do the first visitors to the cylinder think is inside it at first?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)