|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 4, The Cylinder Opens.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
(a) Temperature cooling.
2. Henderson sends news of the cylinder to his colleagues in what city?
3. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 45 million miles.
(b) 15 million miles.
(c) 35 million miles.
(d) 20 million miles.
4. What is the London newspaper's headline the day after the first cylinder crashes?
(a) Government Says Not to be Alarmed.
(b) Evacuate Immediately.
(c) Invaders from Mars Discovered!
(d) Message Received From Mars.
5. What does the narrator hear after the shopman goes into the pit?
(b) A scream.
(c) A confused noise.
(d) A cry for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
2. Over what town is the gas jet first spotted?
3. How many nights in a row are the gas jets spotted before they stop?
4. What are the men trying to do to the cylinder the day after it crashes?
5. What are the gas jets in the sky originally assumed to be?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)