Book 1: Chapter 1, The Eve of War
1. How far is Mars from the sun according to the narrator?
(a) 140 million miles.
(b) 160,000 miles.
(c) 160 million miles.
(d) 140,000 miles.
2. How much light does Mars receive from the Sun, compared to the light Earth receives?
(a) About one-quarter.
(b) About twice as much.
(c) About three-quarters.
(d) About half.
3. What must first be present in order for life to begin according to the narrator?
(b) Temperature cooling.
4. How far is Mars from Earth?
(a) 20 million miles.
(b) 35 million miles.
(c) 15 million miles.
(d) 45 million miles.
5. In what area of knowledge does the narrator say the Martians are clearly superior?
6. In what year did the Martian invasion begin?
7. What element are the gas jets that first streamed toward Earth primarily made from?
8. What is Mars the god of in Roman mythology?
(c) The underworld.
9. Who is Ogilvy?
(a) A laborer.
(b) An astronomer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A philosopher.
This section contains 4,453 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)