|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
2. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
3. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
4. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
5. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Willy hang up a horse blanket in her part of the loft where she sleeps?
2. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
3. Why does Willy decide to stay dressed in britches?
4. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
5. What is happening about peace talks starting in April of 1782?
6. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
7. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
8. How does Mr. Fraunces respond to what Willy tells him?
9. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
10. Describe Canvas Town.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think War Comes to Willy Freeman ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of War Comes to Willy Freeman and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why War Comes to Willy Freeman is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery is a legal and established institution during the time of the setting for War Comes to Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in the United States. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the United States? How does slavery end?
2. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in England. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the England? How does slavery end?
3. Discuss whether you think slaves would be more prone to support the Americans or the British and why.
4. Discuss the ethical/moral aspects of slavery.
Essay Topic 3
War Comes to Willy Freeman might be considered a tale of good versus evil. Discuss the following:
1. What does it mean for a story to be a tale of good versus evil?
2. Is any one person, group, or country all good or all evil?
3. Identify three characters you would label as good and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
4. Identify three characters you would label as evil and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
5. Do you think most people prefer good to triumph? Why?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)