|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
2. What does Willy do when she feels guilty for spending her money foolishly?
3. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
4. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
5. How does Willy get some medicine for Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tips does Horace give Willy about lying when Willy lies about why she has no money?
2. How does Willy get a letter written to her aunt Betsy?
3. Describe Canvas Town.
4. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
5. What does Mr. Goodrich want when he asks for Willy in the tavern one day?
6. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
7. How long has Willy's father been dead, and how is Willy feeling about her life?
8. How does Mr. Goodrich question Willy concerning her freedom papers, and what does he urge her to do?
9. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
10. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a legal and established institution during the time of the setting for War Comes to Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in the United States. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the United States? How does slavery end?
2. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in England. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the England? How does slavery end?
3. Discuss whether you think slaves would be more prone to support the Americans or the British and why.
4. Discuss the ethical/moral aspects of slavery.
Essay Topic 2
War Comes to Willy Freeman could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze War Comes to Willy Freeman as a bildungsroman of Willy Freeman. Give specific examples. What does Willy learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Why do you think many novels/stories written for teens are "coming of age" stories? Do you think it is good for teens to read this genre? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
War Comes to Willy Freeman might be considered a tale of good versus evil. Discuss the following:
1. What does it mean for a story to be a tale of good versus evil?
2. Is any one person, group, or country all good or all evil?
3. Identify three characters you would label as good and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
4. Identify three characters you would label as evil and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
5. Do you think most people prefer good to triumph? Why?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)