Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
2. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
3. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
4. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
5. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think War Comes to Willy Freeman ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of War Comes to Willy Freeman and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why War Comes to Willy Freeman is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
War Comes to Willy Freeman could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze War Comes to Willy Freeman as a bildungsroman of Willy Freeman. Give specific examples. What does Willy learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Why do you think many novels/stories written for teens are "coming of age" stories? Do you think it is good for teens to read this genre? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
War Comes to Willy Freeman might be considered a tale of good versus evil. Discuss the following:
1. What does it mean for a story to be a tale of good versus evil?
2. Is any one person, group, or country all good or all evil?
3. Identify three characters you would label as good and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
4. Identify three characters you would label as evil and explain, using examples, your reasoning.
5. Do you think most people prefer good to triumph? Why?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)