|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Leslie Slote's friend in the State Department?
2. What does Rhoda serve to eat at her reunion with Pug in Washington in Chapter 50?
3. What does Aaron tell the new director that the music department at Theresienstadt needs?
4. At Auschwitz, Natalie was put to work in a factory disassembling what?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the three things Aaron tells Natalie a Jew must never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
2. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
3. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
4. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
5. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
6. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
7. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
8. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
9. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
10. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the true hero of War and Remembrance and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Wouk highlights many of the harsh realities of the plight of the Jews during World War II through the story of Natalie and Aaron.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the novel depicts the way many Americans, even those overseas, failed to understand the impact World War II was soon to have on everyone's lives.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)