|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness is Aaron diagnosed as having while in German custody in France?
2. What officials will be visiting Theresienstadt, causing the German camp to undergo a beautification program?
3. Where does Aaron work in Theresienstadt?
4. What is the name of the SS officer who is in charge of uncovering the mass graves and burning the bodies?
5. What does a farmer toss into the train car that Natalie is riding to Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
2. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
3. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
4. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
5. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
6. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
7. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
8. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
9. How does Aaron get Natalie off the list of Jews to be moved out of Theresienstadt?
10. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
Essay Topic 2
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
Essay Topic 3
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)