|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madame Rosen's orphanage is located outside of __________.
2. As Aaron gets off the train at Auschwitz, he and the others are told to go where?
3. When he returns to Washington at the end of the war, Pug is offered what position?
4. When Aaron meets with SS officials during his time at Theresienstadt, what do they ask him to be the head of?
5. When asked, on the train ride to Auschwitz, Aaron compares Hitler to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
2. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
3. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
4. What was Natalie's job while she was at Auschwitz?
5. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
6. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
7. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
8. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
9. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
10. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Leslie Slote play the role as the collective conscience of Americans?
Essay Topic 2
In this digital, high-tech age, would it be easier to round up and mistreat a large group of people? Are there modern day examples like the mass killings of the Jews in the 1940s? What does Wouk seem to give as the reason these atrocities can happen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)