|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Auschwitz, Natalie was put to work in a factory disassembling what?
2. What is the name of the Army officer who admires Rhoda?
3. After Moscow, Pug is sent to _______.
4. What officials will be visiting Theresienstadt, causing the German camp to undergo a beautification program?
5. When asked, on the train ride to Auschwitz, Aaron compares Hitler to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
2. What was Natalie's job while she was at Auschwitz?
3. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
4. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
5. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
6. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
7. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
8. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
9. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
10. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the true hero of War and Remembrance and why?
Essay Topic 2
Was the reunion of Byron and Natalie satisfying to the reader? Why or why not? Why do you think Wouk depicted it this way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how World War II plays a central role in the story, more than just a backdrop or a mere setting, but rather as equally important as any character in the story.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)