|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of program has Natalie been to when she returns to her room to discover new clothes for her meeting with Eichmann?
2. What is the name of the SS officer who is in charge of uncovering the mass graves and burning the bodies?
3. Where does Aaron work in Theresienstadt?
4. While Byron is in San Francisco for repairs to his submarine, he tests a new gadget for detecting what?
5. Who writes to tell Byron the truth about Pug and Rhoda's divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
2. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
3. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
4. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
5. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
6. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
7. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
8. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
9. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
10. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how even in the midst of war, love affairs dominate the hearts and minds of many of the characters. Do books and movies excessively romanticize this time period or are the portrayals of love triangles and such probably accurate?
Essay Topic 2
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
Essay Topic 3
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)