|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aaron sings and dances to a death song one night and as the performance ends Aaron recognizes _____.
2. Who writes to tell Byron the truth about Pug and Rhoda's divorce?
3. Who is trying to get Louis out of Theresienstadt?
4. At Auschwitz, Natalie was put to work in a factory disassembling what?
5. General Yevlenko is a big proponent of what system in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
2. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
3. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
4. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
5. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
6. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
7. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
8. How does Aaron get Natalie off the list of Jews to be moved out of Theresienstadt?
9. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
10. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Wouk showing about human nature through the compliance of the Jews who are manipulated and intimidated by the SS soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
Essay Topic 3
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)