|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aaron tell the new director that the music department at Theresienstadt needs?
2. What does Rhoda serve to eat at her reunion with Pug in Washington in Chapter 50?
3. When Aaron meets with SS officials during his time at Theresienstadt, what do they ask him to be the head of?
4. After Moscow, Pug is sent to _______.
5. What does Leslie Slote tell Julius Wurtweiler is the only real way to help the Jews in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
2. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
3. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
4. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
5. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
6. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
7. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
8. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
9. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
10. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
Essay Topic 2
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the final thoughts Wouk leaves the reader with after the long journey through World War II.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)