|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Aaron gets off the train at Auschwitz, he and the others are told to go where?
2. At Auschwitz, Natalie was put to work in a factory disassembling what?
3. What is the name of the Assistant Secretary of State Slote meets with about helping Jews come to America?
4. Where is Madam Rosen told the German military needs to move the current orphanage building to?
5. Who writes to tell Byron the truth about Pug and Rhoda's divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
2. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
3. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
4. How does Aaron get Natalie off the list of Jews to be moved out of Theresienstadt?
5. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
6. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
7. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
8. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
9. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
10. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the novel depicts the way many Americans, even those overseas, failed to understand the impact World War II was soon to have on everyone's lives.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the final thoughts Wouk leaves the reader with after the long journey through World War II.
Essay Topic 3
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)