|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Army officer who admires Rhoda?
2. At Auschwitz, Natalie was put to work in a factory disassembling what?
3. What is Sime Anderson working on for the government?
4. What does Leslie Slote tell Julius Wurtweiler is the only real way to help the Jews in Europe?
5. What is Germany running low on in the summer of 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Yevlenko tell Pug about what has happened in Leningrad?
2. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
3. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
4. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
5. How does Aaron get Natalie off the list of Jews to be moved out of Theresienstadt?
6. What happens when Aaron and Natalie meet with Eichmann during their stay at Theresienstadt?
7. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
8. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
9. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
10. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk fuses fact with fiction throughout the novel. How does Wouk blend the military and historical details to enhance and deepen the impact of the story?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)