|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Madam Rosen told the German military needs to move the current orphanage building to?
2. What is the name of the submarine Byron commands?
3. What does a farmer toss into the train car that Natalie is riding to Auschwitz?
4. How many Jews are transported from Theresienstadt in an effort to alleviate the overcrowding before the Red Cross visit?
5. When does the Red Cross visit Theresienstadt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
2. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
3. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
4. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
5. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
6. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
7. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
8. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
9. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
10. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how World War II plays a central role in the story, more than just a backdrop or a mere setting, but rather as equally important as any character in the story.
Essay Topic 3
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)