|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the three things Aaron tells Natalie a Jew must never do?
2. When asked, on the train ride to Auschwitz, Aaron compares Hitler to _________.
3. What is the name of the submarine Byron commands?
4. What is Sime Anderson working on for the government?
5. What is the name of Captain Aster's executive officer on the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
2. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
3. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
4. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
5. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
6. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
7. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
8. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
9. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
10. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Aaron and Natalie's train trip from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz is an allegorical journey showing how horrific the end was for the Jews sent to the death camps.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the final thoughts Wouk leaves the reader with after the long journey through World War II.
Essay Topic 3
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)