|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the submarine Byron and Aster are on when Aster commands firing on the unarmed Japanese soldiers?
2. General Yevlenko is a big proponent of what system in Russia?
3. What is the name of the married man Madeline Henry is having an affair with?
4. After Moscow, Pug is sent to _______.
5. When asked, on the train ride to Auschwitz, Aaron compares Hitler to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
2. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
3. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
4. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
5. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
6. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
7. What does General Yevlenko tell Pug about what has happened in Leningrad?
8. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
9. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
10. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how World War II plays a central role in the story, more than just a backdrop or a mere setting, but rather as equally important as any character in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the true hero of War and Remembrance and why?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)