|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Moscow, Pug is sent to _______.
2. What is the name of the Army officer who admires Rhoda?
3. What is the name of the Japanese fleet commander who faces Pug and Byron in battle?
4. What is the name of Captain Aster's executive officer on the submarine?
5. In Chapter 53, according to Leslie Slote, where is Natalie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Natalie's job while she was at Auschwitz?
2. How does Pug feel when he discovers the scrapbook Rhoda made of Warren's life?
3. What does General Yevlenko tell Pug about what has happened in Leningrad?
4. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
5. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
6. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
7. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
8. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
9. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
10. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the novel depicts the way many Americans, even those overseas, failed to understand the impact World War II was soon to have on everyone's lives.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)