|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the married man Madeline Henry is having an affair with?
2. What is the name of the Army officer who admires Rhoda?
3. What illness is Aaron diagnosed as having while in German custody in France?
4. Who writes to tell Byron the truth about Pug and Rhoda's divorce?
5. What does a farmer toss into the train car that Natalie is riding to Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
2. What does Aster do during battle to show himself to be less than honorable?
3. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
4. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
5. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
6. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
7. What does General Yevlenko tell Pug about what has happened in Leningrad?
8. How does Louis make the German soldier guarding them on the train laugh?
9. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
10. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Wouk fuses fact with fiction throughout the novel. How does Wouk blend the military and historical details to enhance and deepen the impact of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)