|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Byron and Natalie go on their honeymoon?
2. What is the name of the ship Victor "Pug" Henry prepares to take command of in the beginning of War and Remembrance?
3. Aaron notes that Sacerdote is Italian for what name?
4. Leslie Slote is slipped top secret documents by whom?
5. Whom does Sacerdote say has arranged for Aaron, Natalie and Louis to be detained in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history between Byron and Natalie?
2. Why does Byron decide not to trust Luke Babbage with information about Natalie?
3. What point is von Roon making in the "Hitler Berserk" section of The Road to Midway?
4. Why do Aaron's efforts to get out of Italy suddenly seem more urgent in Chapter 29?
5. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
6. What concern about the Castelnuovo family does Natalie express to Rabinovitz?
7. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
8. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
9. What does Pam write in her letter to Pug during her stay in California?
10. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the reunion of Byron and Natalie satisfying to the reader? Why or why not? Why do you think Wouk depicted it this way?
Essay Topic 2
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk highlights many of the harsh realities of the plight of the Jews during World War II through the story of Natalie and Aaron.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)