|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Rabinovitz?
2. Aaron tells Beck he does not want to be like whom in Chapter 25?
3. What is the name of the Viscount that Pam plans to marry?
4. What does Dr. Beck request Aaron to do?
5. What was the date for the beginning of the battle of Midway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two options for escape do Natalie and Aaron have left as Aaron faces pressure from Beck?
2. What are Pug's thoughts about Warren as they go into the battle of Midway?
3. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
4. How does Dr. Beck respond when the SS official asks him about the Italian Jews?
5. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
6. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
7. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
8. How does Pug view his sons, especially as he knows they will soon be in combat?
9. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
10. What happens when Pamela Tudsbury goes with friends to meet her father at a club in Singapore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
Essay Topic 2
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)