|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Commandant at Oswiecim?
2. Who is Leslie Slote surprised to see at the home of Treville Britton?
3. Selma Ascher is going to marry an _____________.
4. Leslie Slote is slipped top secret documents by whom?
5. Whom was the leader of the Enterprise flight squadrons during the battle of Midway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
2. What does Byron Henry later learn about the captain of the Devilfish after they are attacked?
3. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
4. Where is Natalie Henry as War and Remembrance opens?
5. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
6. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
7. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
8. What does Roon note in his document was the difference between the desires of the president and that of the American people?
9. Describe the poignant scene at the end of Chapter 23.
10. What does the Commandant of Auschwitz note about the women prisoners as the techniques for killing the Jews is honed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how World War II plays a central role in the story, more than just a backdrop or a mere setting, but rather as equally important as any character in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)