|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leslie Slote is slipped top secret documents by whom?
2. What is Carter Aster's nickname?
3. Where is the Henry family going to celebrate Warren and Janice's anniversary?
4. What was the name of the book Mose Sacerdote wanted Aaron to sign?
5. What is unusual about Aaron's manuscript after June 4, 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
2. How does Von Roon describe Hitler?
3. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
4. Describe the poignant scene at the end of Chapter 23.
5. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
6. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
7. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
8. What does Pam write in her letter to Pug during her stay in California?
9. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
10. What does Byron Henry later learn about the captain of the Devilfish after they are attacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 3
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)