|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname of Pamela Tudsbury's father?
2. Whom does Sacerdote say has arranged for Aaron, Natalie and Louis to be detained in Italy?
3. Leslie Slote says the secret documents are worthless unless they can be ____________.
4. If Aaron agrees to do what Beck wants, where will he and Natalie be sent?
5. Whom did Byron meet up with at the party in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
2. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
3. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
4. What was the Doolittle Raid and why was it pivotal in the outcome in the war?
5. How does Von Roon describe Hitler?
6. What does Pam write in her letter to Pug during her stay in California?
7. What effect does hearing Pam's voice included on a broadcast with Talky have on Pug?
8. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
9. What concern about the Castelnuovo family does Natalie express to Rabinovitz?
10. What happens when Pamela Tudsbury goes with friends to meet her father at a club in Singapore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this digital, high-tech age, would it be easier to round up and mistreat a large group of people? Are there modern day examples like the mass killings of the Jews in the 1940s? What does Wouk seem to give as the reason these atrocities can happen?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)