|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rhoda meet on the train in Chicago after breaking off her relationship with Kirby Palmer?
2. After Aaron refuses Beck, he then tells Natalie to write a letter of acceptance to visit whom?
3. Sacerdote tells Aaron and Natalie that the doctor who has treated Louis is whom?
4. Who comes aboard the Northampton to see Pug before he sails into battle?
5. Pam tells Rhoda that the last time she saw Warren he seemed _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Aaron's efforts to get out of Italy suddenly seem more urgent in Chapter 29?
2. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
3. Why does Byron decide not to trust Luke Babbage with information about Natalie?
4. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
5. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
6. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
7. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
8. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
9. What was the Doolittle Raid and why was it pivotal in the outcome in the war?
10. How does Dr. Beck respond when the SS official asks him about the Italian Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this digital, high-tech age, would it be easier to round up and mistreat a large group of people? Are there modern day examples like the mass killings of the Jews in the 1940s? What does Wouk seem to give as the reason these atrocities can happen?
Essay Topic 2
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)