|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Byron is sent to Marseilles as what for the military?
2. What are the huts called that Berel is building at Auschwitz?
3. What is the name of the manuscript Aaron is working on?
4. What is the name of the man Byron is working for in Europe?
5. Whom does Pug surprise with a visit in Chapter 48?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
2. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
3. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
4. How does Pug view his sons, especially as he knows they will soon be in combat?
5. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
6. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
7. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
8. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
9. Why do Aaron's efforts to get out of Italy suddenly seem more urgent in Chapter 29?
10. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Wouk highlights many of the harsh realities of the plight of the Jews during World War II through the story of Natalie and Aaron.
Essay Topic 2
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
Essay Topic 3
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)