|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Byron first encounter in Marseilles who makes remarks against Aaron's writing?
2. Who is Leslie Slote surprised to see at the home of Treville Britton?
3. Where does Natalie plan to go the night Byron appears suddenly in France?
4. Whom does Aaron write about suddenly treating him differently in Chapter 29?
5. Natalie, Aaron and Louis are staying with a plumber named _____________ in Marseilles.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
2. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
3. How does Von Roon describe Hitler?
4. Why do Aaron's efforts to get out of Italy suddenly seem more urgent in Chapter 29?
5. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
6. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
7. Why does Byron decide not to trust Luke Babbage with information about Natalie?
8. Why is Leslie Slote surprised to see Selma at the home of Britton Treville?
9. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
10. What is the history between Byron and Natalie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the true hero of War and Remembrance and why?
Essay Topic 3
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)