|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the ship Natalie is on supposed to be going?
2. Whom was Talky's last story about?
3. What are the men called who are emaciated and close to dying?
4. What is Carter Aster's nickname?
5. In Chapter 29, Aaron says Japan's rising power is like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Northampton get hit in a battle off the coast of Tulagi?
2. What point is von Roon making in the "Hitler Berserk" section of The Road to Midway?
3. What two options for escape do Natalie and Aaron have left as Aaron faces pressure from Beck?
4. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
5. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
6. What does Pam write in her letter to Pug during her stay in California?
7. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
8. How are Byron and Natalie finally reunited in Marseilles?
9. Why does Rhoda ask Pug for a divorce?
10. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Aaron and Natalie's train trip from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz is an allegorical journey showing how horrific the end was for the Jews sent to the death camps.
Essay Topic 2
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
Essay Topic 3
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)