|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aaron tells Beck he does not want to be like whom in Chapter 25?
2. Whom did Pam spend the most time talking to at the party in Chapter 23?
3. Leslie Slote says the secret documents are worthless unless they can be ____________.
4. Whom does Byron first encounter in Marseilles who makes remarks against Aaron's writing?
5. What is the name of the island that the Northampton attacks in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Pug's thoughts about Warren as they go into the battle of Midway?
2. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
3. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
4. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
5. What is the history between Byron and Natalie?
6. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
7. How does Dr. Beck respond when the SS official asks him about the Italian Jews?
8. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
9. What are Warren's final thoughts before his plane explodes in the Pacific Ocean?
10. What was the Doolittle Raid and why was it pivotal in the outcome in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Was the reunion of Byron and Natalie satisfying to the reader? Why or why not? Why do you think Wouk depicted it this way?
Essay Topic 3
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)