|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Aaron refuses Beck, he then tells Natalie to write a letter of acceptance to visit whom?
2. What is the name of the family Natalie and Aaron stay with in Corte, France?
3. What is the name of the Castelnuovos' young daughter?
4. What is the name of the manuscript Aaron is working on?
5. Which prisoners at Oswiecim prove to be the hardest workers, according to the Commandant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
2. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
3. What does Byron Henry later learn about the captain of the Devilfish after they are attacked?
4. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
5. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
6. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
7. What concern about the Castelnuovo family does Natalie express to Rabinovitz?
8. What does Roon note in his document was the difference between the desires of the president and that of the American people?
9. Where is Natalie Henry as War and Remembrance opens?
10. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the "Wannsee Protocol" used to convey the horror of what happened in the German death camps from the dual vantage point of being in the thick of the war and the wisdom of hindsight?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Wouk fuses fact with fiction throughout the novel. How does Wouk blend the military and historical details to enhance and deepen the impact of the story?
Essay Topic 3
"Our little earth contains traces of the primordial ash of creation, powerful in handful sizes to wipe us all out: and human nature contains traces of savagery, persisting in advanced society, which can use the stuff to wipe us out." Discuss what Wouk means by this statement in the last chapter.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)