|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship in Naples harbor where Natalie Henry seeks safety?
2. In what year does Pug first translate the Von Roon document?
3. What is unusual about Aaron's manuscript after June 4, 1942?
4. Whom at the Jewish agency tells Byron he should see Jim Gaither about finding Natalie?
5. Who comes aboard the Northampton to see Pug before he sails into battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concern about the Castelnuovo family does Natalie express to Rabinovitz?
2. What two options for escape do Natalie and Aaron have left as Aaron faces pressure from Beck?
3. How does Von Roon describe Hitler?
4. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
5. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
6. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
7. Why is Leslie Slote surprised to see Selma at the home of Britton Treville?
8. What are Warren's final thoughts before his plane explodes in the Pacific Ocean?
9. What are Pug's thoughts about Warren as they go into the battle of Midway?
10. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
Essay Topic 2
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Wouk highlights many of the harsh realities of the plight of the Jews during World War II through the story of Natalie and Aaron.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)