|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Selma Ascher is going to marry an _____________.
2. In Chapter 29, Aaron says Japan's rising power is like what?
3. Whom was Natalie chasing after when she met and married Byron?
4. Where does von Roon write that Roosevelt agreed to fight the Germans in Chapter 43?
5. What is unusual about Aaron's manuscript after June 4, 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
2. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
3. What happens when Pamela Tudsbury goes with friends to meet her father at a club in Singapore?
4. What does the Commandant of Auschwitz note about the women prisoners as the techniques for killing the Jews is honed?
5. Why do Aaron's efforts to get out of Italy suddenly seem more urgent in Chapter 29?
6. What are Pug's thoughts about Warren as they go into the battle of Midway?
7. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
8. How does Pug view his sons, especially as he knows they will soon be in combat?
9. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
10. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the extent of the hoax that was Theresienstadt and why did the Germans go to such extremes to keep it up, including a separate Jewish government?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Leslie Slote play the role as the collective conscience of Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)