|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Northampton and several other ships are off the coast of _________ when they take heavy torpedo fire.
2. What is the name of the club in Singapore that Elsa McMahon is not allowed to enter?
3. What did von Roon say was the key to the Axis upset victory in "The Japanese Surge" section of World Holocaust?
4. Which prisoners are a proving to be a disappointment to the Commandant at Oswiecim?
5. Whom did Pam spend the most time talking to at the party in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
2. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
3. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
4. What information about the Devilfish does Pug learn during his conversation with Talky in a Honolulu hotel?
5. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
6. What does Pam write in her letter to Pug during her stay in California?
7. When does Aaron Jastrow finally come to the realization that Natalie was right to distrust Dr. Beck?
8. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
9. Why is Leslie Slote surprised to see Selma at the home of Britton Treville?
10. How does Pug view his sons, especially as he knows they will soon be in combat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Wouk uses the character of Berel to show the strength and resilience of the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 2
What is Wouk showing about human nature through the compliance of the Jews who are manipulated and intimidated by the SS soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters of Rhoda and Pam the antithesis of each other? What seems to motivate each woman's relationship with Pug?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)