|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carter Aster's nickname?
2. After Aaron refuses Beck, he then tells Natalie to write a letter of acceptance to visit whom?
3. What is the name of the man that Natalie confides once came into her bedroom and propositioned her while staying in Corte, France?
4. Aaron tells Beck he does not want to be like whom in Chapter 25?
5. Who is the SS official who visits Beck, insisting Italian Jews be moved to German work camps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pug end up headed back to Washington after losing the Northampton?
2. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
3. What does the Commandant of Auschwitz note about the women prisoners as the techniques for killing the Jews is honed?
4. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
5. Why does Byron decide not to trust Luke Babbage with information about Natalie?
6. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
7. What are Warren's final thoughts before his plane explodes in the Pacific Ocean?
8. How are Byron and Natalie finally reunited in Marseilles?
9. What information about the Devilfish does Pug learn during his conversation with Talky in a Honolulu hotel?
10. What effect does hearing Pam's voice included on a broadcast with Talky have on Pug?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
Essay Topic 2
What does the character of Byron, an American married to an Auschwitz survivor, represent in the novel? What does Louis represent as the son of these two?
Essay Topic 3
In this digital, high-tech age, would it be easier to round up and mistreat a large group of people? Are there modern day examples like the mass killings of the Jews in the 1940s? What does Wouk seem to give as the reason these atrocities can happen?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)