|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the huts called that Berel is building at Auschwitz?
2. Natalie, Aaron and Louis are staying with a plumber named _____________ in Marseilles.
3. What is being tested at Auschwitz in Chapter 46?
4. Where is Pam Tudsbury having dinner with Phillip Rule in London?
5. Berel Jastow is living in the German prison camp under what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pug view his sons, especially as he knows they will soon be in combat?
2. What happens when Pamela Tudsbury goes with friends to meet her father at a club in Singapore?
3. Describe the poignant scene at the end of Chapter 23.
4. What are Pug's thoughts about Warren as they go into the battle of Midway?
5. What does Roon write that the battle of Midway indicated?
6. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
7. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
8. What information about the Devilfish does Pug learn during his conversation with Talky in a Honolulu hotel?
9. What does the Commandant of Auschwitz note about the women prisoners as the techniques for killing the Jews is honed?
10. Where is Byron Henry, Natalie's husband, at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Leslie Slote play the role as the collective conscience of Americans?
Essay Topic 3
What is Wouk showing about human nature through the compliance of the Jews who are manipulated and intimidated by the SS soldiers?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)