|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prisoners are a proving to be a disappointment to the Commandant at Oswiecim?
2. Whom was Natalie attracted to on the Izmir?
3. Where was Aaron's Italian villa located?
4. What is the name of the ship Victor "Pug" Henry prepares to take command of in the beginning of War and Remembrance?
5. Whom does Aaron write about suddenly treating him differently in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point is von Roon making in the "Hitler Berserk" section of The Road to Midway?
2. What does the Commandant of Auschwitz note about the women prisoners as the techniques for killing the Jews is honed?
3. What information about the Devilfish does Pug learn during his conversation with Talky in a Honolulu hotel?
4. What was the Doolittle Raid and why was it pivotal in the outcome in the war?
5. What is the history between Byron and Natalie?
6. Why does Slote's boss finally change his mind about the fate of the Jews?
7. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
8. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
9. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
10. What is Aaron Jastrow's reaction when Mose Sacerdote tells him it was Dr. Beck who arranged for him and Natalie to be detained in Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pug show himself to be an honorable person in both his military career and his personal life? What aspect of the war and of the American persona of this time period is represented through the character of Pug Henry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Aaron and Natalie's train trip from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz is an allegorical journey showing how horrific the end was for the Jews sent to the death camps.
Essay Topic 3
How are both the flaws and the depths of relationships in the novel magnified during war?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)