|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did von Roon believe to be Germany's greatest foe?
2. Where does Byron meet Ursula?
3. Whom does Tudsbury want Pug to invite to the anniversary party so he can talk to him?
4. Where do Warren Henry and his wife Janice live at the beginning of War and Remembrance?
5. Byron is sent to Marseilles as what for the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selma Ascher catch the eye of Leslie Slote at a function in Bern?
2. Why does Aaron Jastrow decide he must go to America with Natalie?
3. What does Pam tell Rhoda when they meet for breakfast in Hollywood?
4. Why is Natalie advised not to leave France immediately with Byron?
5. Why does the commander of Auschwitz change his uniform when he goes home for dinner?
6. Why does Byron decide not to trust Luke Babbage with information about Natalie?
7. How does Dr. Beck respond when the SS official asks him about the Italian Jews?
8. How are Byron and Natalie finally reunited in Marseilles?
9. What concern does Rhoda Henry express about her daughter-in-law in a letter to her husband?
10. What two options for escape do Natalie and Aaron have left as Aaron faces pressure from Beck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the reunion of Byron and Natalie satisfying to the reader? Why or why not? Why do you think Wouk depicted it this way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Aaron and Natalie's train trip from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz is an allegorical journey showing how horrific the end was for the Jews sent to the death camps.
Essay Topic 3
In this digital, high-tech age, would it be easier to round up and mistreat a large group of people? Are there modern day examples like the mass killings of the Jews in the 1940s? What does Wouk seem to give as the reason these atrocities can happen?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)