|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the SS officers threaten to do at Theresienstadt to keep Natalie in line?
(a) Rape her.
(b) Kill Louis.
(c) Starve her.
(d) Kill Aaron.
2. What does a farmer toss into the train car that Natalie is riding to Auschwitz?
3. What is the Russian Army known as?
(a) Stalin's Army.
(b) Lenin's Army.
(c) The Red Army.
(d) The Black Army.
4. Where do Natalie and Aaron try to flee to when Beck shows up in Paris?
5. What is the name of the submarine Byron and Aster are on when Aster commands firing on the unarmed Japanese soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leslie Slote tell Julius Wurtweiler is the only real way to help the Jews in Europe?
2. Pam and Pug are moving into a Washington apartment that formerly belong to whom?
3. Where does President Roosevelt send Pug in Chapter 50?
4. In Chapter 53, according to Leslie Slote, where is Natalie?
5. What is the name of the book Hitler wrote?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Natalie's job while she was at Auschwitz?
2. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
3. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
4. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
5. What does the Red Cross representative who gave a glowing report of Theresienstadt later testify that he knew?
6. How does Berel Jastrow find the man he is supposed to give the secret documents to in Prague?
7. What does Pug discover when he asks other Americans in Iran about Rhoda and Peters?
8. What ordeal does Natalie go through before she learns that Louis is not dead?
9. Why does a doctor Aaron meets compare Nazi Germany to the Ku Klux Klan?
10. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)