|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Natalie and Aaron try to flee to when Beck shows up in Paris?
2. What is the name of the Army officer who admires Rhoda?
(a) Harrison Peters.
(b) Breckingridge Long.
(c) Sime Anderson.
(d) Julius Wurtweiler.
3. Pam and Pug are moving into a Washington apartment that formerly belong to whom?
(a) Harrison Peters.
(b) Alastair Tudsbury.
(c) Leslie Slote.
(d) Aaron Jastrow.
4. Madame Rosen's orphanage is located outside of __________.
5. Aaron sings and dances to a death song one night and as the performance ends Aaron recognizes _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the SS officer who is in charge of uncovering the mass graves and burning the bodies?
2. What is the name of Leslie Slote's friend in the State Department?
3. Where is the clipper Pug is traveling on to Russia diverted to?
4. General Yevlenko is a big proponent of what system in Russia?
5. What does Leslie Slote tell Julius Wurtweiler is the only real way to help the Jews in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the children at Madame Rosen's orphanage rounded up by the Nazis?
2. How does Pug's visit go with President Roosevelt when he returns to Washington after losing the Northampton?
3. How does Mutterperl die, leaving Berel alone to escape?
4. What act of kindness strikes Natalie as she is being transported in a cattle car from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz?
5. Why does Rhoda disagree with Pug about helping to get Natalie out of Europe?
6. How does Aaron manage to get some better food on the train when he is being transported to Auschwitz from Theresienstadt?
7. What does Madeline reveal about their parents' marriage in the letter she writes to Byron?
8. How does Aaron get Natalie off the list of Jews to be moved out of Theresienstadt?
9. What is Theresienstadt and how does it allow the Germans to fool the rest of the world?
10. How are Slote's request to help the Jews received by the State Department?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)